View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    If you guys need hosting, I have the bandwidth and servers.
    I've written investment articles in the past and have a software career to pitch in with.

I want a partnership with the goal of monetization though.

Posted via CB10
    tygros likes this.
    06-01-13 01:07 PM
    Monetization... Strange...that word autocimpletes on the space bar on my Z10 and then shows up as a misspelling.

Posted via CB10
    La Emperor likes this.
    06-01-13 01:08 PM
    Should we go for that broad of a domain, or should we restrict it to just BB?
    Just thinking that if it's too broad, it will lose the focus?
    FYI remember I own the stockberrians.com domain

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 01:15 PM

What�s the "Warren Buffett of Canada" up to Now?

Each quarter, hedge funds, such as Prem Watsa�s Fairfax Financial Holdings, file 13F forms with the SEC. These 13F forms disclose many of the positions held in the funds� equity portfolio during the quarter. Prem Watsa is one of the managers we track at Insider Monkey, and he�s been described as the "Warren Buffett of Canada." His fund has returned around 100% since 2007.

We will now take a quick look at the five largest equity holdings disclosed in the fund�s first quarter 13F because retail investors can benefit from watching hedge fund sentiment; discover the details of this strategy.

BlackBerry

The largest equity holding in the Fairfax equity portfolio, according to the 13F, is in mobile telecommunications �comeback kid� BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY). According to the 13F, as of March 31, the fund held 51,854,700 shares worth over $749 million in BlackBerry, comprising 27.96% of the fund�s total filing.

The Blackberry maker is very much a laggard in the mobile telecommunications space, but some analysts believe a successful launch of the BlackBerry Z10 and Q10 smartphones may reverse the company�s fortunes; it reported sales of 1 million Z10s in March 2013, and the company also revealed a profit of $94 million on revenues of $2.7 billion in its first in three quarters of the current fiscal year. This represents a strong contrast from a loss just one year earlier, and has given Watsa reason to celebrate in 2013 thus far.

The best of the rest

The fund�s next largest holding is in pharmaceutical giant Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ), with 5,941,600 shares worth over $484 million as of March 31, 2013, comprising over 18% of the fund�s total equity portfolio. Johnson & Johnson has been long considered a genuinely blue-chip stock, owning many leading brands including Listerine, Splenda and Sudafed; a strong balance sheet and a 50-year history of raising dividends are icing on the proverbial cake. Price action has also been impressive, with company starting the year near $70 to trade at $86.84 as of the time of this writing.

Watsa�s next holding is also unchanged from the prior quarter, a stake of 24,776,519 shares worth over $400 million in paper and lumber company Resolute Forest Products (NYSE: RFP), about 15% of the fund�s total reported equity portfolio. Fairfax now holds nearly 30% of Resolute�s outstanding shares, and the fund�s bullishness may be due to the company�s strong fundamentals; it trades at a mere 0.4 times book, compared with an industry average of 1.4. The company�s forward P/E is also near 12.20, indicating clear value here.

Next up is telecommunications company Level 3 Communications (NYSE: LVLT), with the fund holding about 12.9 million shares worth approximately $262 million, close to 10% of the fund�s total reported equity portfolio. Watsa�s position may be a vote of confidence in the newly appointed CEO Jeffrey Storey, who has previously turned around another troubled telecom Williams Communications Group, which emerged from Chapter 11 to proceed to a successful acquisition by conglomerate Leucadia in 2003. Another factor may be the possible pending optical networking deal with Infinera or Ciena.

Rounding out the five is SandRidge Energy (NYSE: SD), with the fund holding a stake of over 32 million shares worth about $171 million as of March 31, 2013. Watsa�s move may be a vote of confidence in the oil fracking industry, of which Sandridge is a clear leader heading into the next half-decade, if not longer. Prospective investors should note the uncertain future of current CEO Tom Ward, who some activist shareholders are lobbying to remove, but on the whole, SandRidge�s aggressive development plan should pay off in the long run, as natural gas prices rebound.

Final thoughts

Prem Watsa is a quintessential buy-and-hold value investor, with no changes to his five largest holdings during the latest quarter. For those looking for a Buffett-lite investor to follow, his top stock picks�BlackBerry, Johnson & Johnson, Resolute Forest, Level 3, and SandRidge�may be worth adding to your watchlist.
    What
    06-01-13 01:19 PM
    a good one would be outinganalysts.com. This could cover more than just lies as technically what they are saying are their beliefs, or at least that's how they try to portray them. It's only the Dungweiler claim, so far, that has been attacked as an outright lie.
    06-01-13 01:22 PM
    I asked one of the neighbourhood kids what he thought of Falsetto and his ilk.
    Last edited by pkcable; 06-01-13 at 09:58 PM. Reason: content edit -pk
    06-01-13 01:36 PM
    Wow,that late Friday sell off hurt...

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 02:01 PM
    Y'all still have the confidence you had a month ago?
    06-01-13 02:28 PM
    Yup and more! How about you?
    06-01-13 02:38 PM
    Yup.... nothing has changed except the stock price. The fundamentals are still the same, if not better, and the TA is still holding. Every low has been higher than the previous low and that still continues to date. We've been in this situation pretty much monthly since November. The difference is the daily swings are less dramatic and the rise and fall takes longer to play out. Although nerve racking at times, I, and I'm sure others here as well, have the same conviction as I did when I bought the first time... and the second... and the third.
    06-01-13 02:41 PM
    feeling pretty good about it all. Just wish i had more money to put in this thing, but I'm all maxed out on BBRY stock.

Actually feel more confident for this ER than the last.

As someone else mentioned, it is only the stock price that has moved, fundamentals of the company are still the same, if not better than we thought.
    06-01-13 03:10 PM
    Still feeling good. Don't like the SP at all but like you guys have said the fundamentals are all the same. Guess we'll find out on the 28th!
    bungaboy and Scott Lefebvre like this.
    06-01-13 03:20 PM
    Yep putting another $20 K in Monday, what's that tell you!!
    06-01-13 04:09 PM
    Oh, that's why you people use the ignore user feature.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 05:08 PM
    BB_trader denying he is the Yahoo guy is like Rob Ford denying he did crack.
    The funny thing is, he used the same signature....lol. Yup. Not the sharpest pencil in the box.
    06-01-13 05:22 PM
    The funny thing is, he used the same signature....lol. Yup. Not the sharpest pencil in the box.
    LoL, same signature, same vernacular, timing coincides with CB ban... The list goes on! I was one of the guys giving him the benefit of the doubt till now.
    06-01-13 05:26 PM
    I'm hoping that the stock will rally next week but a lot of people, mostly traders, are thinking that the selling won't stop until the $12s or lower. I find that VERY hard to believe. The RSI (10) is as low as our worst SP plunges over the past 6 months.
    Scott Lefebvre and cjcampbell like this.
    06-01-13 07:44 PM
    I'm hoping that the stock will rally next week but a lot of people, mostly traders, are thinking that the selling won't stop until the $12s or lower. I find that VERY hard to believe. The RSI (10) is as low as our worst SP plunges over the past 6 months.
    What people?
    06-01-13 08:07 PM
    What people?
    Mostly stocktwits
    06-01-13 08:12 PM
    Mostly stocktwits
    FIFY. . . . .
    06-01-13 08:19 PM
    06-01-13 08:40 PM
    FIFY. . . . .
    Yeah, I think you're right.
    06-01-13 08:40 PM
    I hope someone comes up with a BBM channel for the BlackBerry stock. I like to read and follow you guys but I'd like it to be done real time. Not refreshing and scrolling

Black Tie Z10
    06-01-13 08:50 PM
    Mostly stocktwits
    That place seems to be more bipolar than us. Lol. I went over there but the discussion is all over the place and so hard to follow.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 09:05 PM
    Mode25 didn't know you had it in ya! Sometimes enough is enough right?
    Last edited by pkcable; 06-01-13 at 09:57 PM. Reason: content edit - pk
    06-01-13 09:24 PM
113,256 ... 11501151115211531154 ...