View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    http://www.itworldcanada.com/blogs/i...analyst/64007/

Sorry won't let me copy and paste from the site on my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 04:45 PM
    Nine devices and $7500 per year in service fees? Imagine 9 million phones with similar service fees? The mind boggles.
    It sounds like the $7500 is related to carrier service fees, database/IT infrastructure, and everything else. Not necessarily fees paid to BlackBerry.
    05-27-13 05:00 PM
    Z10 not far behind at #13

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    Yep. Still way ahead of the iPhone

Posted via CB10
    Bugmapper and bungaboy like this.
    05-27-13 05:05 PM
    here it is thanks CDM76 for the link

BlackBerry sales to hit 8.2 million this quarter: Analyst

Posted May 27 2013, 05:24 PM by Howard Solomon

I thought reporters are an impatient lot, but I hadn’t counted on financial analysts. The fact is, however, we both want to see the bottom line.

Which brings me to the most recent smart phone quarterly report by Kris Thompson of National Bank Financial, which has a lot to say about the new BlackBerry 10 line.

To say that Thompson is unimpressed with the Z10 is putting it mildly. The full-screen handset is “just okay,” he writes – and that won’t cut it in the highly competitive smart phone market.

After using the Z10 for a while Thompson says he and associates have become frustrated with the digital keyboard, the slow email and the slow browser. “And,” he adds, “the battery stinks.”

To each his own. I used a Z10 on an LTE network for two months and found the email and browser were fine, the keyboard touchy and the battery unremarkable. (Disclosure: My personal handset is a less than month-old HSPA unit running Android 4.0. I wasn’t able to do a side-by-side comparison with the Z10, but the email and browser are fast enough for me. I can squeeze two days out of the battery by turning the data off when I’m in the office and when I’m at home. I am not a heavy data user.)

More interesting are Thompson’s other observations: According to IDC, Windows Phone-enabled devices outsold BlackBerry devices globally in the first quarter of the year. Sales were up 133 per cent year over year. Also, LG – which now makes Nexus handsets -- has passed Chinese manufacturers Huawei and ZTE for fifth spot among smart phone makers.

Average selling prices are a good sign for the Canadian company: BlackBerry’s ASP was up 15 per cent in the quarter that ended in February, thanks in part to one month’s sales of Z10s in Canada, Britain and a few other countries. Its gross margin on handsets was also up to 10.5 per cent.

But that good news may not last long. Huawei and ZTE, writes Thompson, “have the capacity to be price leaders” – meaning the ability to undercut everyone. And coming later this year are handsets running new operating systems from Mozilla (Firefox), a triumvirate of Samsung, Intel and the Linux Foundation (Tizen), Canonical (Ubuntu) and Jolla (Sailfish), probably initially aimed markets outside North America.

And outside North America, Thompson notes, is where BlackBerry is aiming the just-announced Q5 handset with the qwerty keyboard.

Thompson also questions whether BlackBerry’s future is the international market outside North America. Low-cost Android smart phones will dominate there, he argues, so BlackBerry needs to focus on the U.S. and “high-end business power users” with the Q10.

For the record, Thompson predicts BlackBerry will ship a total of 8.2 million smart phones this quarter (including 4 million BB10s), compared to 6 million in the first quarter of the year, and 6.9 million the quarter before. BTW, that won't include an Q10 sales in the U.S. It isn't on sale there yet.

We'll know June 28 when BlackBerry reports its next quarterly results.

Read more: http://www.itworldcanada.com/blogs/i...#ixzz2UX8wPilN
    or visit IT World Canada Information Technology news on products, services and issues for CIOs, IT managers and network admins for more Canadian IT News
    05-27-13 05:06 PM
    Why wait until BBRY hits $100 when we can simply sell these?! lol!

Apparently This Matters: A $98 stump of wood for hipsters - CNN.com

Posted via CB10
    m0de25, bungaboy and YangFui like this.
    05-27-13 05:09 PM
    Some pretty good articles out there this evening. Enough to lift the SP tomorrow I wonder...
    bungaboy and CDM76 like this.
    05-27-13 05:27 PM
    My french is not so great, but does this mean the Q10 is the top selling phone on SFR in France? Superfly help?

T�l�phone portable, Toutes les offres : Tous les mobiles SFR
    Yup, I posted it in N&R a few days ago. But my title was not sexy enough I believe !

Hop, here it is
    Stupid me, I thought France love matters ROFLOL http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=810570
    Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 05:34 PM
    Been doing some thinking and had thought regarding possible sales numbers.

According to this link BBRY's marketshare increased from 3.4% worldwide to 3.64% from April to May.

Now, a .24% increase in a month doesn't sound like a lot. But Samsung only showed a .37% increase, Apple decreased by %.52 percent and Nokia only increased by .20%.

This means BBRY was the second fastest growing platform in the April-May period.

As an additional bit of speculation, as of October last year there are over 1 billion smartphone users in the world.

So an increase of .24% in a market of 1 billion is around 2.4 million phones a month.

Looking at the April-May timing, these were all likely all Z10s so the Q10 sales aren't even counting yet.

Also keep in mind that upgrading existing customers wouldn't count towards the marketshare increase, so those 2.4 million phones are people switching over from other platforms. Assuming that Hein's 50% conversion number is accurate, that would seem to indicate they sold around 5 million phones during the last month.

Since the street estimates say BBRY needs to sell at least 3 million phones to breakeven in Q1, and marketshare numbers seem to indicate they're selling closer to 5 million phones a month right now, we should be able to expect sales number North of 10 million.

I may have made a few mistakes in my assumptions, but I figured I'd just share my 2 cents.
    05-27-13 05:58 PM
    Jon, you're either clueless or intentionally missinformed. Facts are Apple now sells less than Samsung in the US, and here they have long lines and sell outs at every launch, both online and in stores. If they are not constrained, then Samsung or someone is constraining, because you can't come out of the gate like that and still under sell someone who doesn't. At least in the US that is how it looks.

Posted via CB10
    I can't really follow what you are saying here. Samsung does not have launch days for any new linen of phone that matches the sales from an iPhone launch. Maybe the total of all Samsung smartphones matches iPhone 5 sales in the US now nearly half a year after i5s release.
    Reality constrains Apple. Not marketing strategy. The i5 is a much tighter and more difficult manufacturing job than the GS4. I would not be surprised if Samsung was capable of making its phone faster and in greater numbers than the iPhone can be made. But I did not hear about any lines for the GS4 in the US.
    Again the constraint argument only makes sense if you believe that Apple is really out there choosing to make less of a phone so they can have the one day photo op of long lines. I don't believe that is a part of their strategy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    05-27-13 06:10 PM
    a company should be paying morlock for his analysis except for those tools at wall street

Been doing some thinking and had thought regarding possible sales numbers.

According to this link BBRY's marketshare increased from 3.4% worldwide to 3.64% from April to May.

Now, a .24% increase in a month doesn't sound like a lot. But Samsung only showed a .37% increase, Apple decreased by %.52 percent and Nokia only increased by .20%.

This means BBRY was the second fastest growing platform in the April-May period.

As an additional bit of speculation, as of October last year there are over 1 billion smartphone users in the world.

So an increase of .24% in a market of 1 billion is around 2.4 million phones a month.

Looking at the April-May timing, these were all likely all Z10s so the Q10 sales aren't even counting yet.

Also keep in mind that upgrading existing customers wouldn't count towards the marketshare increase, so those 2.4 million phones are people switching over from other platforms. Assuming that Hein's 50% conversion number is accurate, that would seem to indicate they sold around 5 million phones during the last month.

Since the street estimates say BBRY needs to sell at least 3 million phones to breakeven in Q1, and marketshare numbers seem to indicate they're selling closer to 5 million phones a month right now, we should be able to expect sales number North of 10 million.

I may have made a few mistakes in my assumptions, but I figured I'd just share my 2 cents.
    05-27-13 06:15 PM
    a company should be paying morlock for his analysis except for those tools at wall street
    Naaa...

Too busy curing cancer and writing up a unified field theory.
    05-27-13 06:22 PM
    I think my guess was 12 million but I am hopeful that we see more than 15 million (I know,i know...wishful thinking. )
    05-27-13 06:32 PM
    I think my guess was 12 million but I am hopeful that we see more than 15 million (I know,i know...wishful thinking. )
    I think this quarter any thing over 10m would be great and 12-15 the next quarter.. IMHO
    Charles Martin1 likes this.
    05-27-13 07:11 PM
    I think this quarter any thing over 10m would be great and 12-15 the next quarter.. IMHO
    Yeah, I believe it would be a failure not to have sold more than 10 million in Q1 and I'll be quick to unload my shares if they don't.
    05-27-13 07:37 PM
    Hi guys!

My guess is 4.7 Mio BB10 devices and 2.2 Mio BBOS devices. I'd consider this to be a good start.. not sure if they even have the working capital to produce +10 Mio devices?! Think they have gotten way more careful after the PlayBook..

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    05-27-13 08:06 PM
    Both posts are referencing Canadian DND. This is not the pentagon.
    Nevertheless, would be a welcome development.
    Yes, I am aware.
    DND, Department of National Defense = Canada
    DOD, Department of Defense = USA

Did I quote wrong?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Dapper37; 05-27-13 at 08:39 PM.
    05-27-13 08:11 PM
    Yeah, I believe it would be a failure not to have sold more than 10 million in Q1 and I'll be quick to unload my shares if they don't.
    Why 10M? Is it an arbitrary number?
    05-27-13 08:22 PM

The largest mistake you made was assuming the data was correct. The statistics on the site is based on page views from websites. This will obviously skew the results based on how users use their phones.
    E.g. If a company buys everyone a new Z10, it might not translate to a lot of page views. But if an individual buys a Z10, it might translate to more page views. If a user uses an app instead of a website. E.g. Android, iOS apps. It might artificially deflate the actual marketshare of said phones.

So to use it as a trend is one thing. To use it to extrapolate sales is likely going to give you a very large margin of error.

Of course, it was fun to make a calculation nonetheless.
    YangFui likes this.
    05-27-13 08:30 PM
    If BlackBerry ships 12M devices with even half of those as BB10 devices, you're going to need a ticket on the Space Shuttle. Why? It's quite simple, you're shares will be on the moon.

05-27-13 08:40 PM
    Why 10M? Is it an arbitrary number?
    No, I just figure with 6 million devices sold in Q4 and this even though the Z10 was barely sold. Now there should be a marked improvement by Q1 and I see 10 million at least. It's going to be much better again by Q2.

I say I'd unload my shares if they don't get at least 10 million sold because I believe there is a very small chance that they will only sell that many and I would be VERY disappointed.
    05-27-13 08:47 PM
    Those phones aren't lying around any warehouses for very long. Essentially, when they are manufactured they are shipped the same day or the next day at the latest. Production levels have gone up several times now...I'm very confident that 10 million total BlackBerry devices shipped will be easily beaten in Q1.
    05-27-13 08:55 PM
    If BlackBerry ships 12M devices with even half of those as BB10 devices, you're going to need a ticket on the Space Shuttle. Why? It's quite simple, you're shares will be on the moon.
    That's the dream man...
    fedakd and YangFui like this.
    05-27-13 08:57 PM
    Yes, I am aware.
    DND, Department of National Defense = Canada
    DOD, Department of Defense = USA

Did I quote wrong?

Posted via CB10
    No, just wanted to be absolutely clear so no one is investing on mistaken information. Everyone has been waiting for the Pentagon's decision on this thread so I wanted to make sure people were not misunderstanding.
    Bugmapper, rarsen and Dapper37 like this.
    05-27-13 09:00 PM
    a failure !!! remember wall st. was expecting to sell 18 mil -20mil to be profitable before the cost cutting by RIM
    Scott Lefebvre likes this.
    05-27-13 09:02 PM
    for the whole year.
    05-27-13 09:03 PM
113,256 ... 11031104110511061107 ...