View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000168.jpg

Keep moving kiosk in a high end shopping complex. Downtown Bangkok.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 05:05 AM
    Offending post deleted no more reports please! Lol
    I was sleeping. What I miss? Did we wack another? LoL

UPDATE:

Never mind. I figured it out . . . after I had a coffee.
    Last edited by bungaboy; 05-26-13 at 06:43 AM.
    CDM76 likes this.
    05-26-13 06:25 AM
    Somebody cloning Thorsten Heins speak?

Making Sense Of The Internet Of Things

Matt Turck
    posted yesterday

Editor’s note: Matt Turck is a managing director of FirstMark Capital. Follow him on Twitter @mattturck.

The emerging Internet of Things — essentially, the world of physical devices connected to the network/Internet, from your Fitbit or Nest to industrial machines — is experiencing a burst of activity and creativity that is getting entrepreneurs, VCs and the press equally excited.

The space looks like a boisterous hodgepodge of smart hobbyists, new startups and large corporations that are eager to be a part of what could be a huge market, and all sorts of enabling products and technologies, some of which, including crowdfunding and 3D printing, are themselves far from established.

internetofthings2

http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpr...tofthings2.jpg
    (Click to enlarge)

The chart to the right is an attempt at making sense of this frenetic activity. From bottom to top, I see three broad areas – building blocks, verticals and horizontals:

Building Blocks

The concept of the Internet of Things is not new (the term itself was coined in 1999), but it is now in the process of becoming a reality thanks to the confluence of several key factors.

First, while still challenging, it is easier and cheaper than ever to produce hardware – some components are open sourced (e.g. Arduino microcontrollers); 3D printing helps with rapid prototyping; specialized providers like Dragon Innovation and PCH can handle key parts of the production process, and emerging marketplaces such as Grand St. help with distribution. Crowdfunding sites like Kickstarter or Indiegogo considerably de-risk the early phase of creating hardware by establishing market demand and providing financing.

Second, the world of wireless connectivity has dramatically evolved over the last few years. The mobile phone (or tablet), now a supercomputer in everyone’s hand, is becoming the universal remote control of the Internet of Things. Ubiquitous connectivity is becoming a reality (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, 4G) and standards are starting to emerge (MQTT). The slight irony of the “Internet of Things” moniker is that things are often connected via M2M (machine to machine) protocols rather than the Internet itself.

Third, the Internet of Things is able to leverage an entire infrastructure that has emerged in related areas. Cloud computing enables the creation of “dumb” (simpler, cheaper) devices, with all the intelligence processed in the cloud. Big data tools, often open sourced (Hadoop), enable the processing of massive amounts of data captured by the devices and will play a crucial role in the space.

Verticals

Unlike the Big Data space, where the action is gradually moving from core infrastructure to vertical applications, the Internet of Things space is seeing a lot of early action directly at the vertical application level. Some notable players like Nest Labs seem to have adopted a deeply integrated vertical strategy where they control key pieces of the product, including both hardware and software, in order to have complete control over the end-user experience (a lot like Apple, which is not surprising considering the founders’ background).

Beyond the Nest, home automation in general has become the central battlefield of the Internet of Things, with some of the most exciting startups in the space jockeying for position. Another hot consumer-facing area is obviously quantified self, which is playing a huge role in developing consumers’ awareness of the potential of the Internet of Things.

Beyond consumer, B2B/enterprise vertical applications of the Internet of Things, fueled in part by robotics, hold considerable promise in a number of areas such as manufacturing, transportation, healthcare, retail and energy. Some of clearest revenue opportunities for IoT startups are in the enterprise area.

Horizontals

While a lot of the action is happening at the vertical application level, the ultimate prize for many ambitious players in the space is to become the software platform upon which all vertical applications in the Internet of Things will be built. For example, several of the home automation providers (SmartThings, Ninja Blocks, etc.) also provide a software platform, and seem to be leveraging their vertical focus as a way to kickstart activity on the platform.

Large corporations (GE, IBM, etc.) are very active in the space and are developing their own platforms. Carriers (AT&T, Verizon) have a large opportunity in the area, as well.

One open question is whether a platform developed for a vertical will easily translate to another vertical. In addition, whether the winning platforms are open or closed will play a huge role in the future of the space. My bet would be on openness.

The related area of connectivity (connecting objects to the network/Internet and to one another through all sorts of rules) is also a very significant opportunity.

The space is extraordinarily exciting, but still very much in its infancy – expect this chart to change dramatically over the next few months and years.
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-internetofthings2.jpg  
    05-26-13 06:42 AM
    And right on cue a rant from fraudstreettrader on Yahoo Finance. Quite a coincidence.

BBRY Message Board | Research In Motion Limited Stock - Yahoo! Finance
    Lol...he says we have all money and no brains for adding on the dips. Perhaps if he wasn't so out of touch he would come to realize that some of us actually have money because of our investment strategies. Anyway, enough wasting energy on that nuisance. If they can't permanently delete this guy then we should at least commit to completely ignoring him / her.

BTW, what exactly does it take to get banned here permanently? What is the point of having temporary removals? I fail to see what logic supports this kind of algorithm.

I've done some C/C++ programming before and I'm thinking that this sort of rule sets you up for an infinite loop error.
    Last edited by Charles Martin1; 05-26-13 at 09:09 AM.
    05-26-13 08:42 AM
    Guys, ley's keep the childish and anger rants outta here. He's gone for a week, let's breathe in the meantime.
    Thanks

P.S: I mean if you want to shoot/rant just do it on Yahoo.

Edit : some of You may believe I'm over-Zen ... well; in fact not: I'm glad I didn't read some posts that have been cleaned (thx again Rich & Branta). And I persist and sign for the above statement.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 05-26-13 at 03:43 PM.
    05-26-13 08:53 AM
    Guys, ley's keep the childish and anger rants outta here. He's gone for a week, let's breathe in the meantime.
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Why are you not in Monico for the GP? Nico is winning ya know

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 05-26-13 at 09:12 AM.
    05-26-13 09:01 AM
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't exist anymore in my mind.

So, anyone seeing any news out there? I've not seen anything influential in quite some time. I wonder if BBRY themselves will make any positive statements soon to boost some interest in the stock.
    05-26-13 09:02 AM
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Mon ami, you can only turn the other cheek so many times . . . . . . .
    Charles Martin1 likes this.
    05-26-13 09:03 AM
    Why are you not in Monico for the GP? Nico is winning ya know

Posted via CB10
    Watching on TV
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000625.jpg

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 09:18 AM
    Doesn't exist anymore in my mind.

So, anyone seeing any news out there? I've not seen anything influential in quite some time. I wonder if BBRY themselves will make any positive statements soon to boost some interest in the stock.
    I've often used the "in the shadow" argument . I think they want a BIG momentum if the figures are great. The less they say the more I believe figures are impressive.

BTW: Nico win !!!! Yeahheree!

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 09:22 AM
    Yesssssss!
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000639.jpg

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 09:24 AM
    He deserved this...he's been a wonderful team player behind Schumacher and now Hamilton as an equal...its his time.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and plasmid_boy like this.
    05-26-13 09:29 AM
    And right on cue a rant from fraudstreettrader on Yahoo Finance. Quite a coincidence.

BBRY Message Board | Research In Motion Limited Stock - Yahoo! Finance
    Wow...someone is butthurt something fierce!! LMFAO
    05-26-13 09:36 AM
    I would like to hear your take on the question posed here: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...r-base-811543/

The answer will have a significant bearing on the stock price.
    05-26-13 10:55 AM
    I would like to hear your take on the question posed here: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...r-base-811543/

There is no way to get anywhere near an accurate guess on this. It's all based on sheer speculation. For that reason I, for one, will refrain from making any sort of assumption on subscriber numbers. Far too many variables to account for.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 11:05 AM

I'm not going to hazard a guess because A) no way to gauge real number, B) less and less important each quarter as new sources of income come on line.
    Personally I don't care if they have any subscribers at all, as long as they are making money.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    05-26-13 11:15 AM
    Yes but you know who will be playing it as evidence of failure and or demise...when it simply is not. Previously BIS +BES activations were the subscriber base ..they threw that counting model away did they not?

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 11:16 AM
    I'm not going to hazard a guess because A) no way to gauge real number, B) less and less important each quarter as new sources of income come on line.
    Personally I don't care if they have any subscribers at all, as long as they are making money.
    You may be right on this, but you know the general market will be paying attention to the subscriber number. This number is one of the highlights of each press article and blog written about the earnings report. In the past, changes in this number has moved the stock price. The number is important because the market will be paying attention to it.
    05-26-13 11:21 AM
    BTW, what exactly does it take to get banned here permanently? What is the point of having temporary removals? I fail to see what logic supports this kind of algorithm.
    See http://forums.mobilenations.com/rule...uidelines.html the answer to your question is near the bottom of the page
    Charles Martin1 likes this.
    05-26-13 12:06 PM
    Anyone see this? This is exactly what I want for my future home (when the time comes for me to be a homeowner!)

QNX Home Automation Prototype from Teknision (Photos) - N4BB
    Charles Martin1 and zyben like this.
    05-26-13 12:08 PM
    You may be right on this, but you know the general market will be paying attention to the subscriber number. This number is one of the highlights of each press article and blog written about the earnings report. In the past, changes in this number has moved the stock price. The number is important because the market will be paying attention to it.
    I believe the challenge is this :"how profitable are we ?". And this might be VERY surprising. IF (note the caps) they go somewhere between $0.5 and $1/shr or even forecast something in this range for the end of the year, I know some short that are going to collapse instantly.
    But, that's just my take. I stick to the plan: "do not compare BB with usual metrics", that's my mantra until then.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 05-26-13 at 01:03 PM.
    05-26-13 12:10 PM

I believe Thor said 66 million BBM subscribers, I'll say 77 million total subscribers.
    05-26-13 12:29 PM
    There is no way to get anywhere near an accurate guess on this. It's all based on sheer speculation. For that reason I, for one, will refrain from making any sort of assumption on subscriber numbers. Far too many variables to account for.
    This entire statement is ironic, because this thread is all about guessing the movement of the stock price. Guessing the subscriber number is a far, far easier problem than guessing the stock price. The number of variables to account for SP is orders of magnitude greater than the variables for the subscriber count. And yes, the subscriber count itself is one of those variables that go into the SP.
    05-26-13 12:57 PM
    This entire statement is ironic, because this thread is all about guessing the movement of the stock price. Guessing the subscriber number is a far, far easier problem than guessing the stock price. The number of variables to account for SP is orders of magnitude greater than the variables for the subscriber count. And yes, the subscriber count itself is one of those variables that go into the SP.
    To try and predict the stock price and where it is going is done by reading charts and having visual and real data to draw upon. Something that people have been doing for many many years. To try and guess user numbers is little more than guessing as there is no firm data to draw any conclusions from.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 01:14 PM
    To try and predict the stock price and where it is going is done by reading charts and having visual and real data to draw upon. Something that people have been doing for many many years. To try and guess user numbers is little more than guessing as there is no firm data to draw any conclusions from.

And yes, I agree that the subscriber numbers will affect the stock price but I can't think of any way of making any real educated and valid guess based on the information at hand. All we know is the numbers of the last few ER's and in order to make an assumption of subs now, we'd need a lot more info like device sales numbers. I wasn't trying to come across rude or dismissive but any guess is just that... a guess with no supportive reasoning behind it. The only trend over the last 2 ER's has been a decline in subs. Will it continue? Maybe. Will it go up? Maybe. Have device sales exceeded those leaving? I'd like to think so but I can't say for sure.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    05-26-13 01:22 PM
113,256 ... 10971098109911001101 ...