Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Another SA:

Another BlackBerry Catalyst - Services

Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours. (More...)

In February, BlackBerry (BBRY) together with Monitise Asia Pacific (part of the Monitise Group of the U.K.) and Permata Bank of Indonesia, launched BBM Money in Indonesia, that allows for P2P (peer-to-peer) money transfer and mobile payments.

Monitise announced that the service currently has about 60,000 registered users and the service is on track to have 200,000 registered users by the end of 2013.

BBM Money gives BlackBerry Messenger customers the ability to instantly create and access a Mobile Money account from their BlackBerry smartphone and make real-time payments to BBM contacts who are also signed up to the service. The service also enables users to buy mobile airtime credit and transfer money to bank accounts.

The real unique aspect of this service is that BBM Money can be used by consumers with access to the service regardless of whether they have a Permata Bank bank account. Another unique feature is that is allows users to be in chat mode, while at the same time make P2P transfers and payments during the conversation.

However, the good news for BlackBerry does not stop here. There is speculation that when BBM becomes cross-platform for Google's (GOOG) Android and Apple's (AAPL) iOS, then users of these devices will also be able to use the BBM Money service like BlackBerry users in Indonesia do today. If there is wide spread adoption of BBM Money in Indonesia, I think this sets the stage for BlackBerry to get a very large percent of the electronic payments business in the Indonesian market,

In addition, Indonesia will also set the stage for BlackBerry to copy this strategy to many other developing countries around the world. While electronic payments are a given in the U.S. and in Europe, that is not the case in many countries around the world, where a PC is still not in every home.

While BlackBerry does not seem to currently make any money from this service, is it definitely a thumbs up for BlackBerry devices and BBM itself. In fact, if and when BBM goes cross-platform, there is a good chance that BBM Money might even compete with Paypal in Indonesia. In any case, I assume BlackBerry has bigger plans for BBM, but that we just don't know about them yet.

A few days ago Reuters reported that the New York City Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications intends to deploy some 2,000 BlackBerry 10 smartphones by this summer, while one of Canada's top banks, BMO Financial Group, endorsed BlackBerry 10 as its platform of choice.

Online bank ING Direct is piloting BlackBerry's BB10 operating system on 300 Z10 and Q10 smartphones, along with BlackBerry Enterprise Server 10 (BES10) to manage its fleet of mobile devices.

Toronto-based Canadian Tire decided to issue its 3,000 employees corporate-owned BlackBerry 10 devices. Most of the employees are going with the Q10 -- and its physical keyboard - instead of the Z10. The firm is using the BlackBerry Balance security feature, which requires the deployment of the BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.

According to sources, Verizon (VZ) has made its 10,000 employees switch from Android to Blackberry. Both Verizon Wireless and AT&T are on positive tracks for the use and adoption of BlackBerry Q10 and BES 10.1. It has also been predicted that Verizon Communications and AT&T (T) will select BES 10.1 for their MDM choice to customers.

These are just a few of the headlines that I have seen the past week showing an ever increasing adoption and penetration of BlackBerry 10 (both devices and BES 10) in the enterprise. Granted BlackBerry is not there yet and it is a constant uphill battle, however keep in mind that the transformation of BlackBerry has only just begun.

Many say that BlackBerry will lose service revenue because people don't need to pay BlackBerry anymore to have their email. That might be true, but if BlackBerry can gain enterprise customers, that will more than offset the loss of service revenue from individuals. And from the looks of things, BlackBerry is winning that race, slowly but surely.

In addition, the BBM Money service in Indonesia opens up many possibilities that we can't even begin to comprehend at the current time. For if the cross-platform version of BBM proves to be a success, then there is a lot of money to be made by BlackBerry in the P2P money transfer and payments business.

And if Indonesia proves a success, then that opens the door wide open for P2P mobile transfer and payment service revenue in many other markets around the world, both in developing and developed markets.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 06:45 AM
    Hey gang, made it to Germany and thought I'd check in to see what going on. I wish everyone a safe and relaxing weekend.
    05-25-13 07:00 AM
    Cheers to a good day of trading... Also, this video is going to be the best thing you've seen all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=ZwS14TiO7Pk#!
    Great one.... Thx
    05-25-13 07:03 AM
    Hey gang, made it to Germany and thought I'd check in to see what going on. I wish everyone a safe and relaxing weekend.
    Enjoy and have a few of those delicious amber liquid thingies

Posted via CB10
    lcjr and plane6065 like this.
    05-25-13 07:13 AM
    I have seen only one in the wild, a z10, albeit lots of other products re iPhone and Samsung.
    When studying this, it's a good thing to wonder how old is the phone you see.
    The only relevant point would be "albeit lots of other products were brand new and latest x,y or z", IMHO.
    I'm not pointing at you in particular, but these kind of "good sense" statement (yours) doesn't mean ... much, basically, only that aapl ans samy are current market leaders, that we know, for sure .

Oh, and have a nice memorial W-E gang !
    05-25-13 07:26 AM
    Blackberry is making it easier for middle income buyers in India to buy Blackberry phones.

http://www.propertymentorgroup.com/r...pdates/127449/
    Last edited by psy fi; 05-25-13 at 07:42 AM.
    05-25-13 07:30 AM
    Cheers to a good day of trading... Also, this video is going to be the best thing you've seen all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=ZwS14TiO7Pk#!
    That was great!
    plane6065 likes this.
    05-25-13 08:00 AM
    Amour with Android . . . Ga Ga over Google

Malware, Adware in This Week's Dangerous Android Apps

PCMag.com

Friday, May 24, 2013 7:33 PM GMT

Bad Android apps can take many forms. Whether they are out to steal data, sign you up for premium rate SMS services, or pushing dodgy and malicious links via advertiser networks, users need to beware. SecurityWatch is partnering with a handful of security companies who monitor apps on Google Play and third-party marketplaces to identify malicious apps you should avoid.

If you happen to already have it, immediately remove the apps from your Android device and check your bill for unexplained charges.

Theoretically, malware can target any mobile platform. There are Zeus-in-the-mobile variants targeting BlackBerry devices, Java exploits targeting Symbian phones, and the occasional proof-of-concept going after iOS devices. But for the most part, when anyone talks about dangerous mobile apps, they mean Android apps.

For this week's list (Memorial Day edition) we have three apps Appthority found on third-party Websites and a bonus app BitDefender flagged on Google Play for using aggressive ad networks.

[1] Fake Google Play Installer
    Appthority found Fake Google Play Installer on a third-party Website that had "Google" in its domain name. Part of BadBadPiggies and Android.FakeInstaller malware families, this bad app targets European and Russian users.

When the app is running, it displays a fake progress bar that doesn't do anything and sends text messages to premium rate numbers in the background. The app sends statistics, such as the mobile device identifiers and the number of premium rate SMS messages it has sent, over to a Google account "Android Cloud to Device Messaging."

[2] Zoukmobile Top Music
    Zoukomobile Top Music is one of the several fake apps Appthority found on a third-party platform. When the app is running, it displays a list of popular artists, such as David Guetta, along with songs that users can listen to. The app uses the SMS subscription service "Zoukmobile" (a reference to wireless application service and SMS subscription provider in Malaysia) to charge users around $4 a week for streaming music.

The app actually has a terms of service agreement where it explains that users will be charged a fee for the streaming service. "The app is using commercial music that likely was downloaded illegally and charging an absurd amount, giving it a malware rating from us," Appthority said.

[3] Fake Tank
    Appthroity found Android.OpFake malware inside Fake Tank, which was distributed through another Website. When the app runs, the user sees a form pointing to another Website that Website informs you—via a terms of service page—that you are being signed up for a premium SMS subscription service while the app is sending messages.

[4] Fart Sounds Machine Version 2.2|10
    BitDefender found Fart Sounds Machine, version 2.2 on Google Play. The app has a four star rating and has been downloaded between 500,000 to a million times. This app uploads the device's unique id to static.leadbolt.net and AirPush—an aggressive ad network. The app also uploads your phone number, location, and email address to AirPush. AirPush is known for displaying ads in the notification area and advertisement icons on the user's Home screen.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    05-25-13 08:36 AM
    Not a huge one but an important lesson

http://www.stockhouse.com/bullboards...3&l=0&pd=0&r=0

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 01:50 PM
    I stopped off at the local Rogers store to do some retail research and this is what they have at the entrance:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000127_hdr.jpg

Then, walk another 10 feet and you have this display:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000128_hdr.jpg

The BB phones to the right of this display are BB 9900's in both colours and one other BB.

I spoke to the sales lady and she told me that there was a rush to buy the Q10 when it came out but now they sell an equal number of both. She said many people are switching from iPhone 4 to the Z10 and that is why it is keeping up with the Q10. She said to me, (and I was shocked), "that its the brand name, everyone wants to own a BlackBerry because of the name", .... what? She uses a iPhone 4 and is upgrading to the Z10 as soon as Rogers will let her. She mentioned that these phones sell really well now that so many other cell phone owners are able to switch back. Then she talked about business people walking in and grabbing the phone for less than a minute and buying it right away. Finally, she mentioned, "that BlackBerry was dead to us, now they are so popular and BlackBerry needed that". Okay, I'm not sure we can get much better play than all of that! I also noticed that the iPhone 5 was in a special holder and out of the way. We were completing with Samsung for space and had a really nice display of our phones in the middle of theirs. I almost bought the Q10 while I was there but my wife stopped me.
    Last edited by morganplus8; 05-26-13 at 01:25 AM.
    05-25-13 02:20 PM
    Not a huge one but an important lesson

RE: Provident Security Tosses iPhone for BlackBerr - BlackBerry - bb

Posted via CB10
    Had to c/p this one. Thanks.

Provident Security Tosses iPhone for BlackBerry: The Critical Speed Advantage

Why would a company opt for BlackBerry devices instead of iPhones and Android smartphones for its employees? I recently heard about a small company that had done just that and wanted to learn more.

The tip came in an email from the CEO of Ombud, an IT advocacy and analysis firm where I serve on the board. He suggested I talk to the folks over at Provident Security about their new Blackberry implementation. Apparently, Provident was moving back to the BlackBerry platform because their trials with the iPhone and Android phones didn’t go that well. So I called Mike Jagger at Provident, bit my tongue every time a Rolling Stones reference popped up in my head and got the back story.

Here is what I learned.

Provident Security

Provident is a security company with about 170 employees in Vancouver, Canada, which offers the unique benefit of on-site response should an alarm trigger or a customer (mostly residential) call. Unlike most security companies that call first to save a truck roll, Provident immediately dispatches. And unlike pizza delivery drivers, if they are late, someone could be hurt or something very expensive stolen.

Their security installations include a range of perimeter and internally triggering systems that include camera monitoring. This last has a feature that will automatically get them to respond should someone behave unusually around your home, like jumping over a fence or approaching the pool when no one is around.

The alert goes out to their roving security guards, who then text back if they can make it in the window. The alerting mechanism’s speed is critical because if the message takes even a minute to get routed there is no way the security guard can respond and then get to the site within the five minute total window.

BlackBerry’s Advantage

The BlackBerry advantage wasn’t the device—it was the BlackBerry messaging server which delivered messages near instantly. The email systems that backed up the iPhones and Android phones just weren’t fast enough, and buffer and delivery issues resulted in delays for routing messages. BlackBerry started as a two-way paging service, and they remain much faster than traditional cell phones for message delivery as long as you remain inside the BlackBerry solution envelope.

With my own email services, it can often take one or two minutes for an email to get through the various buffers and filters and then sync to the phone. You can’t have that when seconds count.

Interestingly, 80 percent of the phones Provident is getting are the keyboard-equipped Q 10 devices—a design that evolved directly from the older two-way pagers.

Clearly the security and other unique advantages contribute to the reasons Provident chose this phone, but in this instance, the overriding feature was messaging speed.

Wrapping Up: Lessons Learned

Companies have a lot of choice with regard to which technology they implement. And that choice can make decisions like the one Provident made more difficult. However, they realized early that there was one feature they absolutely had to have—speed. By focusing on that one feature, and otherwise difficult decisions turned out to be relatively easy because no other solution could match the speed of the BlackBerry.

This also showcases a prime reason why Blackberry might be able to recover. Security, health care, defense, public safety and law enforcement all have a similar primary requirement for speed—because lives are at risk and time is of the essence. These industries are massive, and if BlackBerry can remind them that they have this one critical advantage, the company's chances of coming back just got a whole lot stronger.

I want to thank Mike Jagger over at Provident Security for taking the time to chat with me. They have one heck of a service—just wish they were in California so I could use them here. I get that time is important when you want to stay safe. I’m a big fan of safe.
    05-25-13 02:24 PM
    I stopped off at the local Rogers store to do some retail research and this is what they have at the entrance:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000127_hdr.jpg 
Views:	789 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	165173

Then, walk another 10 feet and you have this display:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000128_hdr.jpg 
Views:	815 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	165174

The BB phones to the right of this display are BB 9900's in both colours and one another BB.

I spoke to the sales lady and she told me that there was a rush to buy the Q10 when it came out but now they sell an equal number of both. She said many people are switching from iPhone 4 to the Z10 and that is why it is keeping up with the Q10. She said to me, (and I was shocked), "that its the brand name, everyone wants to own a BlackBerry because of the name", .... what? She uses a iPhone 4 and is upgrading to the Z10 as soon as Rogers will let her. She mentioned that these phones sell really well now that so many other cell phone owners are able to switch back. Then she talked about business people walking in and grabbing the phone for less than a minute and buying it right away. Finally, she mentioned, "that BlackBerry was dead to us, now they are so popular and BlackBerry needed that". Okay, I'm not sure we can get much better play than all of that! I also noticed that the iPhone 5 was in a special holder and out of the way. We were completing with Samsung for space and had a really nice display of our phones in the middle of theirs. I almost bought the Q10 while I was there but my wife stopped me.
    Women . . . . they can be so . . . . .
    05-25-13 02:30 PM
    ... meanwhile on the Rogers website, Rogers at large is promoting: http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...epageBanner--2
    05-25-13 02:31 PM
    BB_Trader why not tell us your positions as they happen? Tired of you talking like oh at the low of the day I bought then I sold once it started going down. Anyone can lie and say AFTER the fact. Tell us opening position long or short and anytime you add. I dont believe anything you say at all
    05-25-13 03:04 PM
    There will be a short delay before he can respond. Members are granted a 7 day respite from the incessant taunting. Unfortunately (maybe I should say fortunately) the ban will take him past the earnings statement without comment here.
    05-25-13 03:11 PM
    There will be a short delay before he can respond. Members are granted a 7 day respite from the incessant taunting. Unfortunately (maybe I should say fortunately) the ban will take him past the earnings statement without comment here.
    Branta,
    Do you know anything about the ignore function, or lack thereof, on the CB10 app. I've made a thread about it but not too much response from anyone. Basically, the problem is that posts from people on ignore list are actually longer and highlighted on CB10 app, which is exactly the opposite of what a person wants out of an ignore function.

Thanks for your efforts on this thread.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    05-25-13 03:43 PM
    BB_Trader why not tell us your positions as they happen? Tired of you talking like oh at the low of the day I bought then I sold once it started going down. Anyone can lie and say AFTER the fact. Tell us opening position long or short and anytime you add. I dont believe anything you say at all
    I said the same thing a couple of weeks ago. When he refused he was added to my ignore list. Highly recommended.
    bungaboy and Shanerredflag like this.
    05-25-13 03:59 PM
    THANK YOU! Very much.

The earnings statement is June 28th. Are we talking a 30+ day respite?
    05-25-13 04:53 PM
    Well boys n girl...we can not post entire SA articles any longer. Two hundred and fifty word max quote with a link and SA/Author accreditation.
    Someone raised a concern with SA, they in turn notified CB of copy write infringement and asked that it stops.

Just wanted to make you all aware so we don't jeopardize the site or thread.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 05:23 PM
    Well boys n girl...we can not post entire SA articles any longer. Two hundred and fifty word max quote with a link and SA/Author accreditation.
    Someone raised a concern with SA, they in turn notified CB of copy write infringement and asked that it stops.

Just wanted to make you all aware so we don't jeopardize the site or thread.

Posted via CB10
    One member of the sleeper cell received the activation code from HQ. LoL
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    05-25-13 05:38 PM
    THANK YOU! Very much.

The earnings statement is June 28th. Are we talking a 30+ day respite?
    Ah, I thought it was May. No matter, if he doesn't reform and quit the taunting and provocation he won't last the month.
    05-25-13 05:40 PM
    I just asked my Magic 8 Ball:

Will BBRY's SP soar because of extraordinarily positive results reported in the June 28th ER? (I like to be precise with the Magic 8 Ball)

The reply I got was:

Without a doubt.

There you go folks. You heard it here first!!!
    05-25-13 05:40 PM
    Branta,
    Do you know anything about the ignore function, or lack thereof, on the CB10 app. I've made a thread about it but not too much response from anyone.
    No knowledge whatsoever. Go bump your change request and make sure it's in the right section (Site Questions or whatever it's called this week)
    bungaboy and Bugmapper like this.
    05-25-13 05:42 PM
    I just asked my Magic 8 Ball:

Will BBRY's SP soar because of extraordinarily positive results reported in the June 28th ER? (I like to be precise with the Magic 8 Ball)

The reply I got was:

Without a doubt.

There you go folks. You heard it here first!!!
    Love the eight ball lol

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-25-13 05:46 PM
    No knowledge whatsoever. Go bump your change request and make sure it's in the right section (Site Questions or whatever it's called this week)
    This gets you there...just have to make the thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=811089

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-25-13 05:51 PM
113,250 ... 10951096109710981099 ...