View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Charts are nice but once the market opens, the chart "obeys" the market.
    You've actually made a brilliant comment here. While I agree, I think it's important to acknowledge that charts simply provide visualization to historic data. They do not predict the future but they can reveal patterns of trading behavior far more readily than we otherwise could discern by inspecting raw high/low/close stock-price data. The art of technical analysis lies in one's ability to see existing patterns, to identify when those patterns break down, and to foretell (to some extent) what is likely to happen next. I don't know that chartists as a group are any more successful than those analysts who pore over financial data and make guesses. When I watch any financial network I am always astounded how two credentialed, senior economists can have opposing views of some economic issue. Of course this is why economics has earned its reputation as "the dismal science".

There are many investors who believe in the random walk hypothesis. I do not: I believe that charts provide a picture of market opinion, and that such opinion (barring any unforeseen/catastrophic event) follows certain patterns that can be revealed using certain mathematical models (such as studies). I also believe that many traders actually use these models when making trading decisions--and that this tends to reinforce the reliability of such patterns. For story stocks (I believe BBRY is one of them), charts can provide key price points the nimble investor can use as strategic entry/exit points.
    Last edited by YangFui; 05-20-13 at 01:39 PM.
    05-20-13 01:11 PM
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what caused the SP to shoot up like this?
    In part it could be due to tomorrow, May 21st, being the 'day of record' for holding BBRY shares to be able to vote at the upcoming AGM.
    bungaboy, Dapper37 and zyben like this.
    05-20-13 01:14 PM
    Where's our favorite May troll? Did he short BBRY at $14.60? Or did he short BB.tsx on Friday and let it sit over the weekend?
    Oops
    I heard he got frostbite on his widgets . . . . And now he is going by the name "Snowballs"
    05-20-13 01:19 PM
    In part it could be due to tomorrow, May 21st, being the 'day of record' for holding BBRY shares to be able to vote at the upcoming AGM.
    If that is the major reason for the SP increase today, then we can expect another dip, starting tomorrow or later this week. However, I believe that shares purchased today would not qualify for tomorrow because it takes three trading days for a transaction to complete.
    W Hoa likes this.
    05-20-13 01:53 PM
    What a beautiful day to just sit back and relax. My other stock, in gold, is up 10 % too today
    bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    05-20-13 01:55 PM
    You've actually made a brilliant comment here. While I agree, I think it's important to acknowledge that charts simply provide visualization to historic data. They do not predict the future but they can reveal patterns of trading behavior far more readily than we otherwise could discern by inspecting raw high/low/close stock-price data. The art of technical analysis lies in one's ability to see existing patterns, to identify when those patterns break down, and to foretell (to some extent) what is likely to happen next. I don't know that chartists as a group are any more successful than those analysts who pore over financial data and make guesses. When I watch any financial network I am always astounded how two credentialed, senior economists can have opposing views of some economic issue. Of course this is why economics has earned its reputation as "the dismal science".

There are many investors who believe in the random walk hypothesis. I do not: I believe that charts provide a picture of market opinion, and that such opinion (barring any unforeseen/catastrophic event) follows certain patterns that can be revealed using certain mathematical models (such as studies). I also believe that many traders actually use these models when making trading decisions--and that this tends to reinforce the reliability of such patterns. For story stocks (I believe BBRY is one of them), charts can provide key price points the nimble investor can use as strategic entry/exit points.
    I, like you, have seen charts all over the place. Yes, they allow me to gain "visualization to historic data" but VERY SELDOM have I found things so predictable from the past, that I would depend on it.

Much has to do with the "chart maker".
    05-20-13 01:59 PM
    If that is the major reason for the SP increase today, then we can expect another dip, starting tomorrow or later this week. However, I believe that shares purchased today would not qualify for tomorrow because it takes three trading days for a transaction to complete.
    What went up is starting to go back down.
    05-20-13 02:01 PM
    Grain of salt of course but I saw this on twitter

Jclarsim: RT @WanHiJoh: Straight from SA: $BBRY Merrill Lynch calling clients offering to borrow their BBRY shares for 3%. Desperation or what?
    about 1 hour ago from Twitter for Windows
    05-20-13 02:03 PM
    What went up is starting to go back down.
    Bold statement here, but I think we'll hit the low $14s or even high $13s within the next couple of weeks.
    05-20-13 02:21 PM
    Certainly beats $14.20
    By a buck!
    05-20-13 02:23 PM
    By a buck!
    Lol
    05-20-13 02:24 PM
    From the change in tone in his posts, it would appear he is trying to fit in here. You'll notice he's not so agressive and hints at wanting to go "long", but is in a pickle due to his previous posts. Perhaps if he had an honest chance at fitting in here he'd change his tune for good? Just a thought I had......
    That is the MO. Remember LuckyJP? Trolls don't change their warts.
    05-20-13 02:26 PM
    15:30 sell off?
    05-20-13 02:27 PM
    Bold statement here, but I think we'll hit the low $14s or even high $13s within the next couple of weeks.
    any particular reason, or are you just feeling a little pesimistic today
    morganplus8 likes this.
    05-20-13 02:33 PM
    I am not sure the trades will settle in time, and even if they did, I don't think voting rights will cause any share movement whatsoever. I just don't see it. If there was a proxy fight or some major issue, maybe a few shares would change hands b/c of this, but as it is now, I wouldn't think anyone would unwind a trade to get to the BBRY voting rights. Sometimes dividend date of record makes a difference, but even then it is usually already baked into a share price. We shall see....
    05-20-13 02:38 PM
    any particular reason, or are you just feeling a little pesimistic today
    No news. The same reason it always goes down.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-20-13 02:39 PM
    Nobody read news about bbry doubling it's Canadian market share?

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 02:41 PM
    Does anybody feel like they are gonna be played like a fiddle this BBQ season? (Not BBQ10 )

Beef prices hit records ahead of barbecue season

CARRIE TAIT
    CALGARY — The Globe and Mail
    Published Sunday, May. 19 2013, 7:42 PM EDT

Beef prices are hitting all-time highs as supply tightens in the United States thanks to drought-stricken grasslands, expensive corn feed and a surge in demand after a cold spring kept North Americans away from the grill.

The cattle herd in the United States is the smallest it has been since 1952, by some estimates. The recent string of droughts has hammered ranchers needing grass, corn, and hay to keep their animals fat. These factors helped push wholesale beef prices to successive record highs last week. Concerning crop reports are adding to the pressure.
    05-20-13 02:42 PM
    Does anybody feel like they are gonna be played like a fiddle this BBQ season? (Not BBQ10 )
    Nah. I buy local. The last time beef prices soared the local farmer prices stayed the same.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-20-13 02:45 PM
    Nobody read news about bbry doubling it's Canadian market share?

Posted via CB10
    Yeah. I figure anything related to Canada is kind of non-news because our population is smaller than that of California. Unless of course they said they market share hiked five or six fold.

Last edited by Charles Martin1; 05-20-13 at 02:57 PM.
    05-20-13 02:47 PM
    15:30 sell off?
    Share price and time both.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-20-13 02:54 PM
    Oh man, can you stab my bubble any harder?? lol I don't want it going back there again. If it hits high $13s again I'll leave this with you guys. I'll just check back end of June and then end of September. If it's still like this I'll take my pocket change out and wish you guys all the best.
    05-20-13 02:58 PM
    I would say it's almost certain to go that low again. But that's when you should be adding to your shares not selling

Posted via CB10
    BlackistheBerry likes this.
    05-20-13 02:59 PM
    I would say it's almost certain to go that low again. But that's when you should be adding to your shares not selling

Posted via CB10
    Yeah. I've stopped trading it since last week. I don't think I'll buy more on any dips, unless it really plunges deep.
    05-20-13 03:01 PM
    2.46 % Green...nice.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 03:02 PM
113,256 ... 10461047104810491050 ...