View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    NASDAQ is open tomorrow but I can't access it from Canada via RBC...that really blows.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-19-13 11:31 AM
    Mostly non-news articles out there the past few days for BBRY. Nothing to get you charged up or run for the hills either. Works for me, especially going into a holiday tomorrow.
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    05-19-13 11:43 AM
    Hope we cross $18.32 this week
    Time to set a new high.
    I feel that it is time for this to happen...
    05-19-13 11:56 AM
    I feel that it is time for this to happen...
    With no news I don't see how thats going to happen.
    BlackBerry Live was just last week so likely no news from BlackBerry.
    BlackBerry Q10 is set to be released in 2-3 weeks so we won't hear about sell through until another month, in which time it'll be earnings.
    DOD news that they approved iOS and Android is out and we're likely not going to hear any news about what phones are purchased for a little while.
    Historically, news about other stocks don't cause any major sustaining rallies for BlackBerry.

So with all that in mind, the stock will continue to move, but we're not going anywhere "fast", certainly not up "fast".

One small tidbit might be the lack of stocks available for shorts, so we might see a positive movement. I doubt we'll reach $18s by this week though. As much as I hope we do.
    05-19-13 01:37 PM
    With no news I don't see how thats going to happen.
    BlackBerry Live was just last week so likely no news from BlackBerry.
    BlackBerry Q10 is set to be released in 2-3 weeks so we won't hear about sell through until another month, in which time it'll be earnings.
    DOD news that they approved iOS and Android is out and we're likely not going to hear any news about what phones are purchased for a little while.
    Historically, news about other stocks don't cause any major sustaining rallies for BlackBerry.

So with all that in mind, the stock will continue to move, but we're not going anywhere "fast", certainly not up "fast".

One small tidbit might be the lack of stocks available for shorts, so we might see a positive movement. I doubt we'll reach $18s by this week though. As much as I hope we do.
    Logically you are right. That's why I said I feel and not 'I think'

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-19-13 01:48 PM
    Copying this link from another forum on CB. BlackBerry must air this on television! This was uploaded to Youtube on Thursday.

05-19-13 03:40 PM
    Great ad, I like it, puts BlackBerry back on the map

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 04:05 PM
    Copying this link from another forum on CB. BlackBerry must air this on television! This was uploaded to Youtube on Thursday.

Space-grade technology... in the palm of your hand - YouTube
    Our little lump of coal has just been compressed into a DIAMOND!!
    05-19-13 04:25 PM
    Cold enough to freeze the widgets off TT_Baiter. :-)
    05-19-13 04:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&h...=fb&nomobile=1
    Great advert. Thanks for sharing it.
    05-19-13 04:35 PM
    Sounds like the same voice as the original fanvert...remember the college kid one. Very well done!

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 04:41 PM
    This one is kinda novel:

Dump Nokia's Sad Ringtone, Buy BlackBerry

Shares of beleaguered phone giant Nokia (NOK) took a pounding last Tuesday, falling as much as 7% following the release of the company's flagship phone, the Lumia 925. I'd like to say it was a surprise that the Street seemed broadly unimpressed by the new flagship phone, but that would not be accurate.

When Is the Recovery Coming?

Over the past couple of weeks, we have talked about the dire state of Nokia, much to the dismay of the company's supporters. By contrast, I have outlined a bullish case for BlackBerry (BBRY), which is clearly on the opposite trajectory while exceeding earnings and unit expectations. In fact, even as shares of BlackBerry have posted declines over the past couple of days, this is an excellent entry point for long-term investors.

Meanwhile, Nokia shareholders are still unable to accept the reality that Nokia's chances of making a dent in the smartphone market expired once Stephen Elop was brought in to lead the charge in late 2011. Fast forward two years later: Is Nokia any better today than when it was at $10 per share prior to Elop's arrival? Elop's promise, which arrived along with the idea that Microsoft (MSFT) was going to be a significant upward catalyst for Nokia, has failed.

In fact, the marriage of the "two Steves" (Elop and Ballmer) has been a complete failure. Nokia investors are still hanging on to hope that things are going to turn around, while forgetting that BlackBerry's turnaround has already moved to the next phase. Besides, if Nokia is unable to take advantage of Apple's (AAPL) recent declines, coupled with uninspiring devices from Samsung (SSNLF.PK), when is the company ever going to recover?

Cost-Cutting Looks Good Only on Paper

There's also the argument that Nokia looks more "streamlined." What does that actually mean? While I do understand the appeal regarding Nokia's cheap share price, investors are still ignoring the signs that the company might have different objectives. Take the recent cost-cutting, for example. Granted, I'm willing to give Nokia's management credit for fixing the balance sheet and improving profitability. But where's the evidence that the company is in this for the long term?

Cutting costs looks good on paper, yes. But this says nothing about the company's ability to compete in the smartphone market. Nokia seems more like a company that is preparing to sell itself than one that is focused on growth. The company has been actively cutting expenses and cutting jobs. Unfortunately, revenue continues to plummet, including a 20% drop in the most recent quarter, which also fell 27% sequentially.

I've made this case once before -- companies don't save their way into growing more market share. There are no known cases in which that has ever worked. It's going to cost money to grow. This, however, has not been Nokia's mindset. Unfortunately, with the market seemingly unimpressed by Nokia's new phone, can we realistically expect that things are going to get any better?

Bottom Line

Nokia's investors are still hanging on to the idea that the company's fortunes will turn and the Lumia will be a ranging success. This is looking less likely today. Nokia will eventually have to spend to survive. Meanwhile, BlackBerry stock is looking more appealing and has a decent shot of reaching $25 level over the next 12 to 18 months as consensus expectations continue to climb.

Consider that, over the past three months, BlackBerry's fiscal 2014 estimates have changed. The company was once expected to lose money, and now the Street is expecting a profit. This level of optimism is not seen in Nokia, which recently missed revenue estimates by as much as 10%, while also posting a 32% decline in device sales. It's no longer a debate as to which is the best stock to own. Dump Nokia, buy BlackBerry.

Disclosure: I am long AAPL. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it (other than from Seeking Alpha). I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article.

Posted via CB10
    I always thought that after The Partnership between Nokia and Microsoft ran its course that in a 12 hour effort Nokia would license bb10. At a minimum Nokia could leverage its relationships in the developing world to sell lower cost bb10 phones.
    05-19-13 04:53 PM
    I always thought that after The Partnership between Nokia and Microsoft ran its course that in a 12 hour effort Nokia would license bb10. At a minimum Nokia could leverage its relationships in the developing world to sell lower cost bb10 phones.
    Agree...they will have to do something, it appears their race to the bottom on price point isn't working to well for them.

Does anyone know the time line on the exclusive with Windows 8? That may provide a clue for us.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 04:58 PM
    I support BBQED chicken

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000227.jpg

Taken with the Z of course

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 05:06 PM
    I support BBQED chicken

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000227.jpg 
Views:	1030 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	163363

Taken with the Z of course

Posted via CB10
    I am doing the same thing, but duck instead.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000378.jpg

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 05:43 PM
    This news about Windows "eclipsing" BlackBerry is a tad overblown...an awful lot of articles out on it. I'll not add to the fervor by posting any of them here. Nothing out from the top short dogs yet. I find it odd actually that they are so quiet for so long.
    05-19-13 07:10 PM
    05-19-13 07:19 PM
    Woohoo! Silver is down into the $21 range...nice. I hope it falls into the teens.

This year could turn out to be my best year yet for investments! C'mon BlackBerry, make me happy too!
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-19-13 07:23 PM
    Woohoo! Silver is down into the $21 range...nice. I hope it falls into the teens.

This year could turn out to be my best year yet for investments! C'mon BlackBerry, make me happy too!
    Why? Do you play the au - ag ratio?

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    05-19-13 07:25 PM
    I shorted some SLW and I'm waiting for the slide in PMs to buy some MNS. I'd love to see MNS fall well below $10...although I'm not sure if it'll fall that far. although, silver took a big plunge in 2008, so it may do the same again.
    Bugmapper likes this.
    05-19-13 07:34 PM
    Anyone else here think that the Windows Phone surpassing BB for #3 in the world is a bit shady? I can't understand how that is possible...
    bungaboy, Korepab and Bugmapper like this.
    05-19-13 08:52 PM
    Except Nokia probably has little interest in BlackBerry and BlackBerry has little interest in licensing it's OS to Nokia.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 08:57 PM
    Anyone else here think that the Windows Phone surpassing BB for #3 in the world is a bit shady? I can't understand how that is possible...
    Not really, since most people aren't even reporting the right facts.
    Nokia has surpassed BlackBerry in only smartphone sales in one quarter. Not market share.

Kinda like saying you've finally over taken the competition when one random week, you had more sales than your competitor because they were in the middle of renovations.

Nokia will have to sustain this. And at this point, we will have to wait another few months to know if the trend sticks.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 09:02 PM
    I have never seen a WP in the wild.
    Korepab, Bugmapper and CDM76 like this.
    05-19-13 09:08 PM
    How much do you think BBM is worth independently when fully deployed in IOS and Android, with its feature rich services and a potential blockbuster money generator in Channels ads, BBM Money and ability to scale its 60 million base users quickly?. Tumbler with its reported 120 million users is reportedly being taken over by Yahoo for $1.1Billion. It has $13 million revenue last year.

Yahoo's board of directors has reportedly okayed a $1.1 billion purchase of the popular blogging site Tumblr, approving Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer's boldest move to date in her efforts to revitalize the struggling Internet giant.

The six-year-old Tumblr service has little revenue but a growing audience of young Internet users, which could help Yahoo in what its own executives have described as a quest to regain the company's "cool" factor.

There were no competing bids for the New York-based Tumblr, according to news reports Sunday. A Yahoo spokeswoman would not confirm the acquisition, but the board's vote was reported by the All Things D technology blog and the New York Times, citing unnamed sources familiar with the deal.

Terms of the deal call for Tumblr founder and CEO David Karp to remain with the company for at least four years, while continuing to run Tumblr as a quasi-independent unit within Yahoo, according to reports. There was no word on whether Karp or his 175 employees will relocate to Silicon Valley.

The $1.1 billion acquisition price is a premium for Tumblr, which reportedly was valued last year at around $800 million, based on its most recent round of venture funding. The company has raised a total of $175 million from investors to date.

Tumbler, which provides a free blogging platform for its estimated 117 million users, only recently began showing ads and reportedly had just $13 million in revenue last year. Analysts say it has potential to show more ads on its platform and could be an attractive addition to Yahoo's advertising service, since many of its users fall in the coveted 18-to-29-year-old age group...

Yahoo board OK's $1.1 billion purchase of Tumblr, report says - The Denver Post
    Last edited by La Emperor; 05-19-13 at 09:26 PM.
    05-19-13 09:15 PM
113,256 ... 10401041104210431044 ...