View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Moanin' y'all. My garden trolls got frostbite last night. :-)
    05-18-13 05:51 AM
    Apparently shares getting harder to borrow

TufenkJ: Commented on: $BBRY cost to borrow stock will double next week from 8.5% to 15 %, watch out it h... Tufenk's StockTalks - Seeking Alpha
    5 minutes ago from SeekingAlpha.com
    05-18-13 06:01 AM
    Good. Make it more of a risk to short this stock. Not that it's not already a risky venture.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 06:14 AM
    How BlackBerry is fixing its once 'broken' brand - CNET Mobile

While BlackBerry executives maintain that they are happy with the support of the carriers, there hasn't been much of a visible push by any of the big players.

That should change in the next month. Boulben told CNET that one of the national carriers would launch a TV campaign around BlackBerry next month.
    05-18-13 06:18 AM
    Apparently shares getting harder to borrow

Ha! Since when? Short shares are as plentiful as long shares. I have never had a problem trading either on a very regular basis including this past week. Cheers

TufenkJ: Commented on: $BBRY cost to borrow stock will double next week from 8.5% to 15 %, watch out it h... Tufenk's StockTalks - Seeking Alpha
    5 minutes ago from SeekingAlpha.com
    05-18-13 07:22 AM
    Im happy that America hasn't clued in yet and is still holding a grudge. All this bad press is convincing people to sell this stock short!!! In my mind there is no chance this company is going to die.

My thinking.
    Z10 Release - I like the phone alot. Some good features will sell well.

Q10 Release - Not my kind of phone. But many will like and businesses will love it. Will sell well

Q5 Coming Up - Don't really care but alot of people love keyboards and I imagine this phone at a low price would sell soooo well in a country like India.

Take all that into this very day. Q10 still isn't out in the states and Q5 isn't out yet. So for the company there is still lots of sales coming up. It's why ill hold my stock still. I know we are all about earnings report. I expect the next one to be about the same as the last.

It wont blow away but it will be good

AND finally Heinze said he was excited on something new that will be coming out.
    What do you think will be the reason for the Q5 selling well? I see anyone outside of North America using a Curve as a low cost way to communicate due to BBM only data plans. With the release of BBM for Droid, I see the decision for existing Curve to migrate to a Q5 a lot less compelling. If I budget minded, I going to purchase a Droid over a Q5 everyday of the week, regardless of the availability if a physical keyboard on the Q5. Anyone else share this opinion?
    05-18-13 08:35 AM
    What do you think will be the reason for the Q5 selling well? I see anyone outside of North America using a Curve as a low cost way to communicate due to BBM only data plans. With the release of BBM for Droid, I see the decision for existing Curve to migrate to a Q5 a lot less compelling. If I budget minded, I going to purchase a Droid over a Q5 everyday of the week, regardless of the availability if a physical keyboard on the Q5. Anyone else share this opinion?
    I got a Q10 for my mother, but it would have been a Q5 if it was available. I think that the Q5 might sell more than Q10, but I am not in the field and clueless about these things.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 09:22 AM
    Nice read here

While these automotive solutions will work with a variety of phones, they should work best with BlackBerrys, which are also using the QNX OS, providing that company with an interesting strategic advantage. Within two years, I expect we’ll see the full strength of that advantage begin to emerge, and the end result will be a vastly improved user experience for car owners who also own BlackBerrys. It’s going to be a long two years, but I think I can now see a light at the end of the tunnel, and I’m pretty sure it isn’t a train this time.

Read more: Connected cars are the next mobile frontier, and BlackBerry has a head start | Digital Trends
    Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook
    05-18-13 09:36 AM
    I think they are talking about meaningful quantities. 5 shares at a time doesn 't qualify.
    05-18-13 09:45 AM
    In the short term, won't this just cause the number of shares shorted to fall?
    05-18-13 11:03 AM
    In the short term, won't this just cause the number of shares shorted to fall?
    You would think it would. Then again, if they're still short at this point with all the positive moves BBRY has made recently, they're probably crazy enough to pay the 15%.
    Charles Martin1 likes this.
    05-18-13 11:23 AM
    I was thinking the same thing when i first heard the announcement.

As time has gone on I am now 100% behind this move. I think people are forgetting, the number one reason for buying a BB10 handset, is and will increasingly become BB10 OS. It is already efficient, easy to use, feature rich, and definitely for the people "who do". As the OS develops this will increasingly become the case.

Afterall people buy iOS for iOS and android for android, why does the same not apply to BB10 OS.

With BB7 this was not the case as it was outdated.
    05-18-13 12:48 PM
    I was thinking the same thing when i first heard the announcement.

As time has gone on I am now 100% behind this move. I think people are forgetting, the number one reason for buying a BB10 handset, is and will increasingly become BB10 OS. It is already efficient, easy to use, feature rich, and definitely for the people "who do". As the OS develops this will increasingly become the case.

Afterall people buy iOS for iOS and android for android, why does the same not apply to BB10 OS.

With BB7 this was not the case as it was outdated.
    Sound reasoning and logic!
    05-18-13 01:53 PM
    Im happy that America hasn't clued in yet and is still holding a grudge. All this bad press is convincing people to sell this stock short!!! In my mind there is no chance this company is going to die.

My thinking.
    Z10 Release - I like the phone alot. Some good features will sell well.

Q10 Release - Not my kind of phone. But many will like and businesses will love it. Will sell well

Q5 Coming Up - Don't really care but alot of people love keyboards and I imagine this phone at a low price would sell soooo well in a country like India.

Take all that into this very day. Q10 still isn't out in the states and Q5 isn't out yet. So for the company there is still lots of sales coming up. It's why ill hold my stock still. I know we are all about earnings report. I expect the next one to be about the same as the last.

It wont blow away but it will be good

AND finally Heinze said he was excited on something new that will be coming out.
    Agree with everything you said. That said, Thorsten has a knack for delivering underwhelming news (or maybe, we folks have knack for over hyping Thorsten's comments). So, I won't hold my breath for something mind blowing. Z10, Q10, Q5 alone should be enough to bring BlackBerry back to profitability ( couple of dollars EPS atleast). Their current EPS is less than a dollar; and sales of these products alone will increase EPS significantly so lots of upside to stock even if we disregard other future (whether exciting or underwhelming) products.

Posted via CB 10 app on my Q10!
    05-18-13 03:39 PM
    05-18-13 08:39 PM
    Meh, it's the fool but kinda sorta decent:

Can Canada Jump-Start BlackBerry? (BBRY)

Unlike Nokia (NYSE: NOK) , another mobile-phone maker that has new phones and a new OS and is in the early stages of fighting its way back to relevance, BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY) has shared some good news of late. Its new Q5 smartphone, similar to the premium Q10 and complete with BlackBerry fans' favorite feature -- a physical keyboard -- could provide a significant sales boost. Now there's news from a Raymond James analyst that BlackBerry is making some serious inroads at home, and it's taken only a quarter to do it.

The good news continues
    Q1 of this calendar year saw a doubling of BlackBerry's market share in Canada, in large part because of BlackBerry's Z10, the non-keyboard version of the BB10 OS smartphone. As per a Raymond James analyst, BlackBerry held a 6% share of the Canadian market in Q4, a ridiculously low figure given its once dominating position up North. By Q1 of this year, however, BlackBerry jumped to a whopping 13.5% share of the Canadian smartphone market -- in a quarter.

BlackBerry naysayers are quick to point out that its 13.5% market share in Q1 2013 remains woefully behind Canada's leading smartphone provider, Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL) , with its 40.1% piece of the pie. But they're missing the point. More than doubling market share in a quarter is impressive, period. With BlackBerry clawing its way back from obscurity, that level of growth is doubly impressive and can lead to momentum going forward.

The aforementioned lower-priced Q5 will be available in Europe, as well as in emerging markets in the Middle East, Asia, and Latin America, and it fills a much-needed void in BlackBerry's product lineup. There were critics of the decision to open up BlackBerry's Messenger service, but making it available to Apple and Android smartphone users was the right decision for CEO Thorsten Heins to make. Simply pretending the smartphone world isn't dominated by iOS and Android doesn't make it true, so kudos to Heins for seeing the light.

Granted, press releases are often heavy on sales and light on specifics, but the list of clients either buying or continuing to test BB10-related smartphones continues to grow. ING, the City of New York's Department of IT, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, and Ingram Micro are a few of the notable names BlackBerry is working with -- an impressive list.

Not all good news
    Depending on which research you adhere to, BlackBerry either just barely held on to third position in the global smartphone OS market in Q1 (so says Gartner), or it fell to fourth place (so says IDC), behind Nokia's smartphone partner, Microsoft, by 0.03%. Either way, BlackBerry needs BB10 to hit its stride.

Delays in rolling out Q10 in the world's biggest smartphone market, the U.S., have hurt BlackBerry and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. As manufacturers continue to introduce upgraded phones, such as the Nokia Lumia and Samsung's Galaxy S4 smartphone, BlackBerry fans stateside are still awaiting the keyboarded Q10. Like Apple and its lack of new devices, in the fast-moving world of smartphones, each passing week without its new phone in the U.S. puts more pressure on BlackBerry.

When it's said and done
    Challenges remain. Even the most diehard of BlackBerry bulls acknowledge that. But make no mistake: Growing market share at home -- without the benefit of its keyboard-featured Q10 mind you -- is impressive. Add the new mid-market Q5, and the BlackBerry Messenger for Apple's iOS and Android, and BlackBerry suddenly becomes a very intriguing growth investment alternative.

More Expert Advice from The Motley Fool
    The Motley Fool's chief investment officer has selected his No. 1 stock for the next year. Find out which stock in our brand-new free report: "The Motley Fool's Top Stock for 2013." I invite you to take a copy, free for a limited time. Just click here to access the report and find out the name of this under-the-radar company.
    Jeff Fischer and team have demystified options. And they can rack up income like $1,030... $2,626... and $3,228 on a schedule you can set your watch by!
    That's why we're glad to announce every single one of their closely guarded strategies is available to YOU during May and June ? 100% FREE, no strings attached! Just enter your email address in the box below...

Posted via CB10
    BBInPlay and bungaboy like this.
    05-18-13 09:54 PM
    So if they currently get $5/mth from bb7 users (?) And the avg upgrade cycle is two years then bbry would just need to profit $5*24 months = $120 from selling the q5 to make up for the lost service fees assuming they don't make anything from bb7 hardware. Anyone know how much the current service fees are?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using CB Forums mobile app
    05-18-13 11:03 PM
    So if they currently get $5/mth from bb7 users (?) And the avg upgrade cycle is two years then bbry would just need to profit $5*24 months = $120 from selling the q5 to make up for the lost service fees assuming they don't make anything from bb7 hardware. Anyone know how much the current service fees are?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using CB Forums mobile app
    I think it is currently around $3/month for BIS users, with a 85% gross margin. They make around $60 gross margin based on that over two years.
    ItsTheBox likes this.
    05-19-13 02:52 AM
    I think it is currently around $3/month for BIS users, with a 85% gross margin. They make around $60 gross margin based on that over two years.
    dont forget the realise that profit margin now, at time 0, with hardware sales as opposed to service fees which you should really discount over the 24 month period.

This makes a HUGE difference to their cashflow.
    ItsTheBox likes this.
    05-19-13 04:21 AM
    05-19-13 04:48 AM
    This one is kinda novel:

Dump Nokia's Sad Ringtone, Buy BlackBerry

Shares of beleaguered phone giant Nokia (NOK) took a pounding last Tuesday, falling as much as 7% following the release of the company's flagship phone, the Lumia 925. I'd like to say it was a surprise that the Street seemed broadly unimpressed by the new flagship phone, but that would not be accurate.

When Is the Recovery Coming?

Over the past couple of weeks, we have talked about the dire state of Nokia, much to the dismay of the company's supporters. By contrast, I have outlined a bullish case for BlackBerry (BBRY), which is clearly on the opposite trajectory while exceeding earnings and unit expectations. In fact, even as shares of BlackBerry have posted declines over the past couple of days, this is an excellent entry point for long-term investors.

Meanwhile, Nokia shareholders are still unable to accept the reality that Nokia's chances of making a dent in the smartphone market expired once Stephen Elop was brought in to lead the charge in late 2011. Fast forward two years later: Is Nokia any better today than when it was at $10 per share prior to Elop's arrival? Elop's promise, which arrived along with the idea that Microsoft (MSFT) was going to be a significant upward catalyst for Nokia, has failed.

In fact, the marriage of the "two Steves" (Elop and Ballmer) has been a complete failure. Nokia investors are still hanging on to hope that things are going to turn around, while forgetting that BlackBerry's turnaround has already moved to the next phase. Besides, if Nokia is unable to take advantage of Apple's (AAPL) recent declines, coupled with uninspiring devices from Samsung (SSNLF.PK), when is the company ever going to recover?

Cost-Cutting Looks Good Only on Paper

There's also the argument that Nokia looks more "streamlined." What does that actually mean? While I do understand the appeal regarding Nokia's cheap share price, investors are still ignoring the signs that the company might have different objectives. Take the recent cost-cutting, for example. Granted, I'm willing to give Nokia's management credit for fixing the balance sheet and improving profitability. But where's the evidence that the company is in this for the long term?

Cutting costs looks good on paper, yes. But this says nothing about the company's ability to compete in the smartphone market. Nokia seems more like a company that is preparing to sell itself than one that is focused on growth. The company has been actively cutting expenses and cutting jobs. Unfortunately, revenue continues to plummet, including a 20% drop in the most recent quarter, which also fell 27% sequentially.

I've made this case once before -- companies don't save their way into growing more market share. There are no known cases in which that has ever worked. It's going to cost money to grow. This, however, has not been Nokia's mindset. Unfortunately, with the market seemingly unimpressed by Nokia's new phone, can we realistically expect that things are going to get any better?

Bottom Line

Nokia's investors are still hanging on to the idea that the company's fortunes will turn and the Lumia will be a ranging success. This is looking less likely today. Nokia will eventually have to spend to survive. Meanwhile, BlackBerry stock is looking more appealing and has a decent shot of reaching $25 level over the next 12 to 18 months as consensus expectations continue to climb.

Consider that, over the past three months, BlackBerry's fiscal 2014 estimates have changed. The company was once expected to lose money, and now the Street is expecting a profit. This level of optimism is not seen in Nokia, which recently missed revenue estimates by as much as 10%, while also posting a 32% decline in device sales. It's no longer a debate as to which is the best stock to own. Dump Nokia, buy BlackBerry.

Disclosure: I am long AAPL. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it (other than from Seeking Alpha). I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 09:46 AM
    And...don't think this one has been posted:

While a fresh new generation of BlackBerry phones fight a ferocious battle for third place in the smartphone race, BlackBerry's other big business remains in a great position in its red-hot market, Mobile Device Management (MDM). At BlackBerry Live 2013 in Orlando this week, the company rolled out a major update to BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES)and deepened its commitment to making BES a multiplatform solution that now deeply secures its two leading smartphone competitors.

Ironically, the trend that brutally undercut BlackBerry phones during the past five years?the"bring your own device" (BYOD) movement?is now driving significant sales of BES, the company's backend software. At BlackBerry Live,the company released version 10.1 of BES. BES 10.1 will support a powerful new module that will launch at the end of Junecalled Secure Work Space, which brings BlackBerry's high security mobile solution to Android and iOS.

"Our customers have been asking, 'Can you just take what you've done on BlackBerry and put it on iOS and Android?'" said Pete Devenyi, BlackBerry's SVP of Enterprise Software.

While older versions of BES could do some basic administration of non-BlackBerry smartphones like iPhone, Android, and other types of devices, the solution was limited to the basics, including a full remote wipe of devices when those employees left the company. But, that's obviously not a great solution with BYOD where employees own the devices. With Secure Work Space, BlackBerry will manage iOS and Android devices in a much more sophisticated and secure way.

Part of that is due to the fact that BES 10 not only does mobile device management, but also does mobile application management, and secure mobile connectivity as well. This triple play raises the bar on manageability. One of the key factors that makes all of this happen in BES 10 is a module called BlackBerry Balance that cleanly separates work and personal data and applications. For example, you can't copy and paste between work and personal data and in a BYOD situation where an employee leaves the company and IT needs to wipe the business data off the device then it can wipe the work side of the phone without affecting the former employee's personal data.

However, BlackBerry Balance is limited to BlackBerry devices because they are designed from the ground up to function this way and to adhere to this security model. Because of that, BlackBerry can't bring Balance to Android and iOS because those operating systems are simply architected differently. But, BlackBerry is doing the next best thing by bringing a lot of these same features to iOS and Android withSecure Work Space.

"With Secure Work Space, it really is a secure container," said Devenyi.

Image: Jason Hiner
    Secure Work Space will be an app in theApple App Store and Google Play, pending approval from Apple and Google, respectively. It will include secureemail, calendar, contacts, tasks, and document editing. It won't allow data leakage including copy and paste between Secure Work Space and the rest of the device. IT will be able to remotely wipe everything in the Secure Work Space without affecting any of the other apps or data on the person's device, in a BYOD scenario.

"It really is about the separation of work data and personal data," Devenyi said."It supports a BYOD model much more directly."

Another thing that Secure Work Space does is to create a fully encrypted tunnel back to the BES 10 server so that all communications from it are secure, even if you're on an insecure connection such as an Internet cafe or public Wi-Fi. In the past, you'd typically need to launch a VPN tunnel in order to accomplish that, but Secure Work Space does it automatically and at all times.

Devenyi said, "There's no need for a VPN. It's a [continually] secure outbound port"

The combination of secure data and apps and a secure connection turns BYOD Android and iOS smartphones and tablets into highly secure business devices. That's what BlackBerry is bringing to market at the end of Q2, built on top of BES 10.1.

"For the first time, a solution on Android and iOS can benefit and take advantage of the BlackBerry infrastructure and BlackBerry security model," said Devenyi.

BlackBerry does not split out BES revenue from its revenue from smartphones, but clearly it's a much more attractive business than the commodity mobile hardware business. And, Devenyi said that BlackBerry is seeing "exploding" demand for MDM solutions to manage BYOD.

In its latest analysis of the MDM market, Gartner corroborated that perspective saying, "MDM is the fastest-growingenterprise mobile software ever (in terms of number of suppliers, revenue growth and interest fromGartner clients)."

That growth is fueling a crowd of companies to jump into MDM, but BlackBerry is one of the creators of the category and one of the most trusted names in mobile security. The fact that many of the companies that need MDM for BYOD have previously relied on BlackBerry and BES to manage their mobile devices provides the company with an excellent opportunity to become a market leader in securing for iOS and Android for BYOD. The irony is obvious, but don't underestimate how much this could potentially fuel BlackBerry's comeback, no matter what BlackBerry devices do.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 10:51 AM
    Moanin' y'all. My garden trolls got frostbite last night. :-)
    LOL...yes, t'was a chilly old night. Nice and sunny now though.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-19-13 10:53 AM
    Hope we cross $18.32 this week
    Time to set a new high.
    fedakd and bungaboy like this.
    05-19-13 11:04 AM
    Hope we cross $18.32 this week
    Time to set a new high.
    a 25% hike would be nice this week...and every week between now and Christmas.
    05-19-13 11:26 AM
113,256 ... 10391040104110421043 ...