View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    If they announced a phablet who knows how the market will respond. They might think PlayBook and punish them.

Posted via CB10
    I think a phablet is a great idea - bigger screens for 'older' users has been awesome considering their waning eye-sight. All users could benefit from increased screen real-estate. I love larger screens though so that's my personal opinion.
    lcjr and q649 like this.
    05-16-13 10:38 AM
    i sure hope so, gave up for the day trying to short oil, unbelievable to see the boys in the pit pushing oil over $95 in light of a lousy economy, oh well, yesterday's profits will pay for today's haircut, lol, in the meantime, back in BB ... shorting.
    Serious question. Do you ever just sit in cash for a while. Do you have to have a trade on everyday? I know several people who constantly trade and they can never be content to just sit there. They are always convinced they will make money today. Just wondering.
    05-16-13 10:39 AM
    Just picked up a bunch at $14.70, lets see where we are next week
    05-16-13 10:43 AM
    Anyone's thoughts on BB's BBM announcement to go crossplatform?

My thoughts are the following - It could erode or slow the sales for BB now that (to some its a unique and compelling sales feature) it's offered on Android & iOS. It could take those who were thinking of coming back to Blackberry reconsider and just hold on or switch to Android & iOS.

Blackberry I don't believe still has got the word out enough or had enough people try their devices to really sell the stark contrast of BB7 devices vs the BB10 devices (2 worlds apart). Throwing BBM into the mix to competitors might erode that process further?

Also say my previous thought bares no weight, what of monetizing BBM? How does it help our bottomline, or ways it can? (I'm just wondering your thoughts, I don't think ads could generate that much could it?)

I'm assuming with BBM going cross platform - the arguement is we increase brand awareness, we gather followers and revitalize the brand's name?

What is everyone's thoughts?

Cheers,
    I think it's brilliant...what no one is considering is the methodical and calculating mindset of TH...he's going to win and he has a plan, no deviations, no rushing to please a few critics...just work the plan to achieve victory.

IMO of course..

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 10:44 AM

My thoughts are the following - It could erode or slow the sales for BB now that (to some its a unique and compelling sales feature) it's offered on Android & iOS. It could take those who were thinking of coming back to Blackberry reconsider and just hold on or switch to Android & iOS.

Blackberry I don't believe still has got the word out enough or had enough people try their devices to really sell the stark contrast of BB7 devices vs the BB10 devices (2 worlds apart). Throwing BBM into the mix to competitors might erode that process further?

Also say my previous thought bares no weight, what of monetizing BBM? How does it help our bottomline, or ways it can? (I'm just wondering your thoughts, I don't think ads could generate that much could it?)

I'm assuming with BBM going cross platform - the arguement is we increase brand awareness, we gather followers and revitalize the brand's name?

Cheers,
    I say BlackBerry should go all in. Release all of their devices this year, or at least as soon as they are ready, and don't try and time the market. Open up BBM cross platform, Channels, and Money, and put pressure on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, PayPal, Interact, VISA prepaid and everybody else in their way. Treat BBM channels as a mature version of all of these platforms - and police them so that a mature audience will trust it. I feel there is still a big gap between Television and the Internet. Netflix and YouTube may be the closest to bridging the gap... Maybe BBM channels can fill the gap somehow.

It's not about the phones, it never was. It's about trusted, secure, timely, affordable information.
    Compaqee likes this.
    05-16-13 10:46 AM
    This is probably why the drop today?

First and second place in the smartphone OS wars is a foregone conclusion with Android and iOS (respectively) strongly entrenched, but the battle for third place is now full of intrigue. BlackBerry and Microsoft have each stepped up their games with their respective BB10 and WP8 OS's of late, but so far it's Redmond prevailing, having jumped two spots from last quarter to take third place, with a 3.2 percent share over BlackBerry's 2.9 percent. While those two are fighting for third place scraps, Android kicked up its smartphone OS dominance with 75 percent of the global market, which is a huge jump from last year, while iOS fell back slightly to a 17.3 percent share. Between them, those titans owned 92.3 percent of the pie, but it's arguably Windows Phone that has raised its game the most, with a senior IDC analyst claiming that this latest ranking "validates the direction taken by Microsoft and key partner Nokia."

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 10:51 AM
    Can we fast forward to June 28 please?
    05-16-13 10:52 AM
    Serious question. Do you ever just sit in cash for a while. Do you have to have a trade on everyday? I know several people who constantly trade and they can never be content to just sit there. They are always convinced they will make money today. Just wondering.
    Statistically proven that the people who trade daily make far less than those who hold a position. (No not because of commissions), but because you are bound to be wrong or right 50% of the time. BB_Trader may think he is getting lucky, but all it takes is a couple days of getting burnt and this guy won't be able to post anymore because he won't be able to afford the internet bill.
    05-16-13 10:52 AM
    For anyone in Ontario, you might want to make a trip to the LCBO at some point today as it seems there has yet to be a resolution to the union's dispute. Could be on strike as of tomorrow.
    I'm not a survivalist, but the LCBO can go on strike for a year and I will be just fine. I always have at LEAST a dozen bottles or more of various "booze" and as for wine, I make my own and have at least 200 liters in the wine cellar. Beer on the other hand needs to be fresh so I would worry more about that. Anybody remember the beer strike from a few years back?

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 10:54 AM
    Sold the rest of my puts. Have a buy order on more Sept 16 calls. Now we wait.
    05-16-13 10:54 AM

First and second place in the smartphone OS wars is a foregone conclusion with Android and iOS (respectively) strongly entrenched, but the battle for third place is now full of intrigue. BlackBerry and Microsoft have each stepped up their games with their respective BB10 and WP8 OS's of late, but so far it's Redmond prevailing, having jumped two spots from last quarter to take third place, with a 3.2 percent share over BlackBerry's 2.9 percent. While those two are fighting for third place scraps, Android kicked up its smartphone OS dominance with 75 percent of the global market, which is a huge jump from last year, while iOS fell back slightly to a 17.3 percent share. Between them, those titans owned 92.3 percent of the pie, but it's arguably Windows Phone that has raised its game the most, with a senior IDC analyst claiming that this latest ranking "validates the direction taken by Microsoft and key partner Nokia."

Posted via CB10
    The question I have is how do they know what shipped in March? This covers the first 3 months of the year and BlackBerry has only given the first 2 months worth of numbers...... and even then, we only got 1 month of sales of the Z10 in 2 countries and 2 weeks in a third during that time frame.
    05-16-13 10:55 AM
    If they announced a phablet who knows how the market will respond. They might think PlayBook and punish them.

Posted via CB10
    After a few days ago I hope they just stay out of the public spotlight!
    Bugmapper likes this.
    05-16-13 10:55 AM
    Probably the best approach.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 10:56 AM
    Can we fast forward to June 28 please?
    Relax its... coming... soon
    The question I have is how do they know what shipped in March? This covers the first 3 months of the year and BlackBerry has only given the first 2 months worth of numbers...... and even then, we only got 1 month of sales of the Z10 in 2 countries and 2 weeks in a third during that time frame.
    This statistic isnt a big deal now. But if next quarter windows does the same then we are in big trouble.

Posted via CB10

Cheers,
    I don't think this BBM news has anything to do with increasing or decreasing sales of BlackBerry devices. I can tell you that every single person I know who has moved from BlackBerry misses BBM because it is truly an amazing communication application. However, no matter how amazing BBM is or ever will be, it has lost its edge as the "thing to keep a BlackBerry for" because the benefits people see on other phones are far superior than BlackBerry as a whole. I think BlackBerry has realized that moving BBM to cross platform has no net effect on whether people adopt the platform or not because it has just lost is love generally speaking.

What BlackBerry is doing now is saying well hey we don't have this killer app that people "Need"...so let us try and make BBM the next "Need" app. As I compare to every social media or popular app (stable not like Candy Crush or Cut the Rope where they have 2 months of fame). BlackBerry can monetize on growing the userbase of BBM/BBM Channels and take advantage of that. If BlackBerry can get millions of users on BBM using BBM Channels, it could be big for them. It could be a great source of advertising revenues or just value in the book because of the userbase.

As i've mentioned before, these strong social media type applications of websites have become billions of dollars. I mentioned earlier the Social Media game is worth at least $100B dollars. I think its a great idea to try and cut into that pie. BlackBerry is hungry and needs every piece of pie they can get.
    05-16-13 11:00 AM

Cheers,

I still don't like it. It seems BlackBerry is converting itself into a software-service company, accepting BB10 will be just a niche player.
    In a couple of years they will support better iOS and Android than their own devices, as Microsoft does with Skype.
    05-16-13 11:02 AM
    Not if BBRY and Windows both take from Apple. As well, BBRY is up to 120k apps after 3 months. Windows is a 145k after over a year. With JB 4.2 runtime coming in June, I think we will blow past their app numbers possibly by the end of the September quarter. It's really surprising to me that it took Windows this long to pass BBRY, considering they've had a long time only going against the BB7 legacy devices.

This statistic isnt a big deal now. But if next quarter windows does the same then we are in big trouble.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    There is a rumor that there is going to be a big announcement today at Blackberry Live. Ppl are speculating a phablet or a tablet....
    There is a rumor that there is going to be a big announcement today at Blackberry Live. Ppl are speculating a phablet or a tablet....
    Doubt it, there's no keynote. My guess is that the phablet is being shown in the backrooms to industry people.
    Bugmapper, fedakd and bungaboy like this.
    05-16-13 11:07 AM
    False. BlackBerry Live is wrapped up today and there are no more scheduled annoucements.

As I have mentioned before, if it's not in the keynote, then it's not going to be announced.
    05-16-13 11:08 AM
    So I take it the sell off right now dropping the SP is increasing the short interest? NASDAQ only goes to April 30, so when is the next report? I'm curious to see how much the short interest has increased.
    Bugmapper likes this.
    05-16-13 11:13 AM
    Don't tease us that can't watch it live from work. PLEASE post something as you get updates...
    05-16-13 11:15 AM
    The rumour is from those who bought this am or just the usual manipulators who want to raise sp

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 11:16 AM

Posted via CB10
    Mixing OSes and manufacturers always result in messy forecasts. Let's wait for a full & worldwide BB10 (Q10+Z10) Quarter. Then we'll count (adding Q5, eventually)
    05-16-13 11:18 AM
113,256 ... 10151016101710181019 ...