View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I have never really understood the gold trade. Gold is only really worth something from an industrial point of view.

In a disaster situation it would be better to have an equivalent value of tinned food etc, rather than big hunks of gold.
    I have some ounces but I'd like to get in on the gains when they start up again.

You need chickens and a couple of roosters. Setup good then
    05-16-13 07:26 AM
    Neat. Sure don't look like Christmas trees to me. LoL
    Lol, funny looking Christmas trees alright. Malaysian Palms..

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-16-13 07:27 AM
    Ah man this is easy, the chart for today:

Attachment 162185

We are still in the pennant, we have support at the 50-dma today which is at $ 14.81/shr and leveling out here. And for our overhead, we have the 5-dma which is going to open at $ 15. 36/shr for a breakout. For the fun of it, I drew a two day downtrend line using the highs for both days to show you that the stock can open positive here and gap into a bullish trade. Today is the day to look at buying the dips!! So much for the bear raid.

Thank you for flying BlackBerry!!
    Do you think that there's any chance we could fall prey to another raid?
    05-16-13 07:31 AM
    I'm watching this with the idea that solid bars would be a very good insurance for the future (disaster scenario, not as a whole).
    May start to buy small pieces and collect them like an ant ...
    If it hits the fan, I'd rather have silver. Walking around with gold bars seems dangerous in that scenario. My prep plan is just the way I live now, a few "enforcement" guns from my legitimate hunting collection, room to grow my own food and purify water from the stream out back. Not much of a plan, but its what I got. My father-in-law has gold bars and I always tell him my lead beats his gold if it really is that bad. It won't ever be, but.....
    bungaboy and lcjr like this.
    05-16-13 07:33 AM
    We are still in the pennant, we have support at the 50-dma today which is at $ 14.81/shr and leveling out here. And for our overhead, we have the 5-dma which is going to open at $ 15. 36/shr for a breakout. For the fun of it, I drew a two day downtrend line using the highs for both days to show you that the stock can open positive here and gap into a bullish trade. Today is the day to look at buying the dips!! So much for the bear raid.

Thank you for flying BlackBerry!!
    The bears seem to have lost their punch and ability to inflict serious damage at will like they could previously. I hope this is true and a great sign going forward.
    05-16-13 07:34 AM
    BBM call and video don't have these worries.

Skype Accused of Reading IMs; Company Says it's Scanning URLs

By Kevin ParrishMay 15, 2013 6:00 PM - Source: THe H Security

A security blog stated that Skype reads IM messages, but it's likely just SmartScreen inspecting embedded links.

On Wednesday, The H Security blog reported that Skype reads everything its users write. This accusation stems from associates at Heise Security who believe Microsoft is accessing and reading content from HTTPS URLs transmitted over Skype.

The firm reportedly discovered unusual network traffic following a Skype instant messaging conversation that included a secure URL, and traced the IP address back to Microsoft. To see if it would happen again, the firm conducted an experiment using two HTTPS URLs and discovered that Microsoft had accessed those as well.

Skype later acknowledged that the URLs are scanned, and pointed to a passage from its data protection policy. "Skype may use automated scanning within Instant Messages and SMS to (a) identify suspected spam and/or (b) identify URLs that have been previously flagged as spam, fraud, or phishing links," it reads.

A spokesperson followed up by stating that while Skype does scan messages to filter out spam and phishing websites, there's no actual reading involved.

But the H Security blog points out that these sites typically aren't housed under HTTPS URLs. It also said that in order to check a secured link for spam or phishing, Skype would actually need to examine its content. In contrast, the blog also points out that Skype typically sends HEAD requests, which merely fetch administration info relating to the server. It also doesn't access the commonly used HTTP URLs.

However, ZDNet followed up with an article to ease any privacy concerns and reported that the address in question is likely part of Microsoft's SmartScreen infrastructure. This is used to identify suspicious and dangerous URLs so that it can block phishing sites, malware and spam across the company's portfolio of services, including Internet Explorer and Outlook.com. It's presumed that Skype picked up SmartScreen when it integrated the Windows Live Messenger network.

"SmartScreen doesn't scan every link in every IM or email. It doesn't need to," ZDNet reports. "Those test links are unfamiliar and possibly suspicious, so the SmartScreen servers asked for more information from the server, using a HEAD (not GET) request, with the exact URL that was included in the original Skype message."

Thus, what seems to be happening is a process that's similar to what mail servers do when they check the header information on an incoming message to determine whether it's unwanted spam. Unfamiliar URLs shared in a Skype instant message may be investigated by a SmartScreen server which will in turn request more information about the server from which that URL originated. That information will be used to determine if the link is legitimate.

This automated process undoubtedly helps protect Skype users from clicking on links to phishing sites or those packed with malware. So far, there's no evidence that someone at Microsoft is sitting back in their chair reading everything Skype users type on the screen.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    05-16-13 07:35 AM
    The bears seem to have lost their punch and ability to inflict serious damage at will like they could previously. I hope this is true and a great sign going forward.
    Same here. I'd just like to leave these funds here now.
    Bugmapper likes this.
    05-16-13 07:36 AM
    I have some ounces but I'd like to get in on the gains when they start up again.

You need chickens and a couple of roosters. Setup good then
    Leon Cooperman our old BBRY friend has taken a significant Gold and Silver position. Its not for me as I wonder how good it is as a hedge anymore and as a doomsday type store of value, you can't eat or drink it, heat your home with it or do much. I could be very wrong here.
    05-16-13 07:37 AM
    Do you think that there's any chance we could fall prey to another raid?
    Not at all Charles, there isn't a catalyst to drive it lower, in fact, we are really getting hyper on our lows followed by a faster recovery. Option close outs have some impact on the stock as does round numbers, but in this case, $ 15.00/shr is quickly looking like support. The stock is news driven and one thing we now know about BES10, people like it! We could continue to see announcements of deals every other day. The volume isn't there to sell off, we quickly back into a comfort zone after only two days of profit taking. Over the past 7 days we are nicely up on the stock here and then there is the resolution of that pennant, it going to happen and I wouldn't want to be short here. Until the 50-dma gives way, you have to be thinking long now.

Of course the general market has been going up for a few weeks now and could reverse, the mobile sector hasn't been that strong either (see AAPL), but BBRY is really biding its time and slowly moving up all year. Without a rally there just is no reason to sell it off here. There is no money trading BBRY now.
    05-16-13 07:42 AM
    Another one bite the dust . . . . kinda, sorta . . . .

HTC confirms no plans for HTC One with stock Android

BGR

Thursday, May 16, 2013 2:06 AM GMT

Google made a splash at its I/O Developers Conference on Wednesday when it announced a special edition Galaxy S4 smartphone. The device will be sold directly through Google’s Play Store for $649 and runs a stock version of Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, rather than Samsung’s TouchWhiz user interface. Unfortunately it would appear other manufacturers will not be following Samsung and Google’s lead. HTC confirmed in a statement to TechnoBuffalo that it has no plans to offer its popular all-metal One smartphone with a stock version of Android. The company does offer an unlocked developer edition of the HTC One on its website, however that model still runs the company’s Sense user interface.
    morganplus8 and Shanerredflag like this.
    05-16-13 07:44 AM
    Today is the last day of Live, right?
    05-16-13 07:45 AM
    I wonder how much play this will get today. The headline is one thing but if you read the report, it gives more context.

Windows Phone overtakes BlackBerry to claim third place in 2013 smartphone shipments | The Verge

The report states that �BlackBerry still relied on its BB7 smartphones for the majority of its shipment volume, which, due to their lower prices, were well received within key markets.�

If you look at the numbers and the reporting period, BB had only Canada and UK launched and that would have been two weeks in by when the report finished. BB shipped 6.3M devices vs Microsoft's 7M. In my view, this says more about Windows than BB. BB still managed to ship only 0.7M less devices than MS, with the majority of them being BB7 devices. MS had a bigger opportunity to sell more "modern" devices vs the old BB7 devices, and they struggled at that. The opportunity was there for MS and they didn't capitalize on it.
    05-16-13 07:48 AM
    Is the Redflag for RFD?
    I Googled RFD and it gave a few possibilities...if it's the "Alternative" rural men's lifestyle....NO. lol

Nick name from my past that has stuck .

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-16-13 07:49 AM
    Not at all Charles, there isn't a catalyst to drive it lower, in fact, we are really getting hyper on our lows followed by a faster recovery. Option close outs have some impact on the stock as does round numbers, but in this case, $ 15.00/shr is quickly looking like support. The stock is news driven and one thing we now know about BES10, people like it! We could continue to see announcements of deals every other day. The volume isn't there to sell off, we quickly back into a comfort zone after only two days of profit taking. Over the past 7 days we are nicely up on the stock here and then there is the resolution of that pennant, it going to happen and I wouldn't want to be short here. Until the 50-dma gives way, you have to be thinking long now.

Of course the general market has been going up for a few weeks now and could reverse, the mobile sector hasn't been that strong either (see AAPL), but BBRY is really biding its time and slowly moving up all year. Without a rally there just is no reason to sell it off here. There is no money trading BBRY now.
    Sounds good to me. I'm just really getting tired of watching this stock now and would much rather hold. I'm watching my other stocks too and giving more attention to this than I think is necessary. I've already ramped up to where I feel is my maximum for it. I appreciate your insights.
    morganplus8 and cjcampbell like this.
    05-16-13 07:51 AM
    I Googled RFD and it gave a few possibilities...if it's the "Alternative" rural men's lifestyle....NO. lol

Nick name from my past that has stuck .

Posted via CB10
    RFD = Red Flag Deals. LoL

Wonderful source of savings and information.

Hot Deals
    Bugmapper, Shanerredflag and q649 like this.
    05-16-13 07:56 AM
    M8. A little while back you had indicated we were gaining $X per week on bbry. Are we still gaining at the same or accelerated rate? I forgot what X was.
    05-16-13 08:01 AM
    Another one bite the dust . . . . kinda, sorta . . . .
    Nice...keep dropping off...
    bungaboy and Shanerredflag like this.
    05-16-13 08:04 AM
    I must say I cannot argue against much in this article, its a very realistic analysis from Bernstein Blackberry Downgrade Sends Shares Spinning | The Motley Fool
    Compaqee likes this.
    05-16-13 08:12 AM
    H'mmm

Stock Quote BBRY

15-May-13

11:02PM Did BlackBerry Just Surrender to Apple and Android? at Motley Fool

06:00PM BlackBerry Targets Low-End Markets Zacks
    I pinched my nose and dived into the fools. What I read was the conclusion ... pretty neat, in did, if you don't stop to the "lost it dominant position" point which misses a "has ... 3 years ago" IMHO to be less dramatic and more factual.
    Foolish conclusion
    By opening up its BlackBerry Messenger service and mobile security features to the iOS and Android platforms, BlackBerry is admitting that it's no longer a dominant player in the mobile market. However, that was already obvious from the company's shrinking market share. Supporting iOS and Android devices will allow BlackBerry to diversify away from its hardware business into new software and service opportunities. It could also help expose a new generation of consumers to the BlackBerry brand. Both of these initiatives seem like positive steps for BlackBerry's turnaround.
    05-16-13 08:16 AM
    I wonder how much play this will get today. The headline is one thing but if you read the report, it gives more context.

Windows Phone overtakes BlackBerry to claim third place in 2013 smartphone shipments | The Verge

The report states that “BlackBerry still relied on its BB7 smartphones for the majority of its shipment volume, which, due to their lower prices, were well received within key markets.”

If you look at the numbers and the reporting period, BB had only Canada and UK launched and that would have been two weeks in by when the report finished. BB shipped 6.3M devices vs Microsoft's 7M. In my view, this says more about Windows than BB. BB still managed to ship only 0.7M less devices than MS, with the majority of them being BB7 devices. MS had a bigger opportunity to sell more "modern" devices vs the old BB7 devices, and they struggled at that. The opportunity was there for MS and they didn't capitalize on it.
    Be VERY careful with this BS spin. IDC released the report 4/25 - not yesterday.And Nokia and BB were lumped into other at first, only to be broken out later. HOWEVER, "Microsoft's mobile operating system had just 2.9% smartphone market share in the first quarter, Gartner said."

Clearly the guy is confusing Nokia with MSFT - if you recall, Nokia still ships smartphones without Windows Phone - they have a whole line for it... but it's less than 20% of their smartphone sales. So we're not losing to MSFT, even in a Q in which we were ramping down production pre-Z10 launch.
    05-16-13 08:20 AM
    I am torn on this one.

When the $h!t really hits the fan I wonder if small pieces of "Lead" may be a better tool. LoL

When it comes to survival . . do you really think desperate people are going to want to barter? Or just take?

Maybe investing in a good shelter, a good garden, a good source of alternative energy and a good source of drinking water would be prudent?

I am not a "prepper" LoL
    Sry, I meant a global financial crisis, not a nuke lol

Shelter : done (+ plan B in process)
    Garden : done (also in plan B)
    Energy : fire is free light & warm

I wish I could target diamonds, more easy to carry ... but the size matters here, can't buy tiny ones as a long term hold.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-16-13 08:23 AM
    5/14 article saying BB was in 3rd - BlackBerry, Nokia look to emerging markets for smartphone growth - Investors.com
    5/16 article showing Msft in third...

Android and iOS Combine for 92.3% of All Smartphone Operating System Shipments in the First Quarter While Windows Phone Leapfrogs BlackBerry, According to IDC | Business Wire

Weird - but two different spins of the same report...

Be VERY careful with this BS spin. IDC released the report 4/25 - not yesterday.And Nokia and BB were lumped into other at first, only to be broken out later. HOWEVER, "Microsoft's mobile operating system had just 2.9% smartphone market share in the first quarter, Gartner said."

Clearly the guy is confusing Nokia with MSFT - if you recall, Nokia still ships smartphones without Windows Phone - they have a whole line for it... but it's less than 20% of their smartphone sales. So we're not losing to MSFT, even in a Q in which we were ramping down production pre-Z10 launch.
    cjcampbell, bungaboy and Dapper37 like this.
    05-16-13 08:28 AM
    M8. A little while back you had indicated we were gaining $X per week on bbry. Are we still gaining at the same or accelerated rate? I forgot what X was.
    sparkaction!

Sure, we have some decent data now, the Rise/Run or Slope of the run is still tracking great here:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-may-16a-2013-chart.jpg

From mid December to mid March, or 3 months, we went from $ 9.00/shr to $ 12.30/shr so when you minus the two, and divide by 3-months you get $ 3.30/shr / 3 = $ 1.10/shr which is amazing in itself! Using this as our rate of growth for this investment, we can project out to December with a price on the stock of at least $ 14.50 + $ 8.00 or $ 22.50/shr as the absolute minimum price for BBRY at the close of this year. It is likely to be something higher than just sitting on the uptrend line so we would more likely see around $ 25.00/shr by the end of this year, ....... while the stock continues to bore investors silly. If the stock gets some good news and investors come back into it, or shorts cover, that number would be much higher. So it is safe to say that we are heading in the right direction for a healthy return on BBRY in 2013.

Thanks for the question, I forgot about that piece of data!

Is it just me or is anyone else a bit surprised that we are looking at support at $ 15.00/shr today? Seems we always felt it belonged much lower on these raids.
    05-16-13 08:28 AM
    [...] while the stock continues to bore investors silly. If the stock gets some good news and investors come back into it, or shorts cover, that number would be much higher. So it is safe to say that we are heading in the right direction for a healthy return on BBRY in 2013.[...]
    Was surprised by the very low pre-market volume ... Nasdaq chart bug ?
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg  
    morganplus8 and q649 like this.
    05-16-13 08:35 AM
    Quick off-topic update to my question regarding Rogers' contract-free phone (might be useful to people in the US that want a non-Verizon white Z10, as my wife did):
    1. Even if you buy sim-free from Canadian carrier Rogers ($649), the phone is still locked.
    2. Rogers can unlock the phone for you, but only after 90 days for $50.
    3. I unlocked it using crackberryunclocking service for $45 bucks - worked perfectly. This phone won't work on Verizon networks but ok on the two networks that I tested (AT&T and T-Mobile).

P.S. I wasn't kidding when I said yesterday that I was ordering a white Z10 for my wife (but not because of the vibrator app...lol).
    05-16-13 08:35 AM
113,251 ... 10111012101310141015 ...