View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Thanks Superfly_FR.
    Charles, did you get this figured out yet? It took me a while last night to register and then download the updated BMM app. Had to reboot then could scan the barcode invite to access what angredmontonian set up. A few of us are already on the channel.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    05-15-13 03:54 PM
    BlackBerry says giving away BBM for free will still make it money

By: David Friend, The Canadian Press

Wednesday, May. 15, 2013 at 3:50 PM | Comments: 0
    Print
    E–mail
    Report Error

ORLANDO, Fla. - BlackBerry (TSX:BB) says it will be able to make money off its BlackBerry Messenger service by opening it up to its rival's smartphones.

One of the Waterloo, Ont.-based company's top developers said Wednesday that while BBM will be available to users on Apple's iPhone and Android operating systems for free, there are other ways to generate revenue.

"By opening it up to other platforms we're really listening to what our users have asked for," said Andrew Bocking, executive vice-president of software product management at BlackBerry.

"They want to be able to talk and communicate with their friends, family and colleagues ... regardless of what mobile device they use."

Where the profits will come from, Bocking said, is BBM Channels, a new platform that will serve as a marketing launchpad for businesses and celebrities. It will work like a combination of Facebook Pages and Twitter and allow BBM users to opt in and start to follow popular brands.

"What we are talking about is enabling and facilitating those brands and businesses to enable BBM users to follow them ... and those types of interactions would be paid-for interactions," he said.

One example that Bocking used was Starbucks, which could directly market to interested customers through the service with coupons or other campaigns.

Users could start following their favourite brands by scanning a BlackBerry "PIN" code on advertisements.

Other money-making plans are in the works, but too early to announce, he said.

The decision to launch a marketing side to BBM comes as advertisers look for new ways to grab eyeballs. Increasingly viewers record their TV shows on PVRs and skip the commercials and other traditional media has struggled to generate bigger advertising revenues.

Through direct marketing to phones, companies will be able to have a better idea who is seeing their offers and target their interested customers.

"Hyper-local mobile offers is really where we think the marketing and advertising business is going," Bocking said.

But direct marketing has its setbacks as BBM could risk launching its new service and turning it into a glorified junk mail folder for people who like to sign up for special offers, but rarely use them.

BlackBerry will be careful to place a wall between a BBM user's personal space and their other "brand communication" interests, Bocking said.

"We're being very deliberate in how we allow those businesses and brands to interact with the BBM community," he said.

He said BlackBerry doesn't want BBM Channels to conflict with personal chats in BBM, which he says will "remain pure and uncluttered."

BlackBerry has said it will launch BBM on other mobile platforms sometime this summer, though it hasn't submitted its program for approval to either the iTunes or Google Play app stores yet
    bungaboy and Shanerredflag like this.
    05-15-13 03:55 PM
    I watched the first minutes of the Nokia Vid and the first thing I thought was how crazy it is cheering like a child because of a new mobile phone.
    The hardware of this phone is, like almost every new phone on the market, great. So i would say an innovative and reliable BS with great features and the possibility to make it better day by day is what we need. So, I think with BB10 we are on good way...
    Failed an electrical engineering test today so having my next German Krombacher
    Sorry to hear about your test, but that German Krombacher will certainly help. lol. I love that beer and my whole German family (in-laws) drink that beer only. Kind of expensive here stateside though. But dang good beer.
    Chris2J and Shanerredflag like this.
    05-15-13 03:57 PM
    I predict an up day tomorrow, hopefully if it doesn't happen you guys won't hold my feet to the fire.
    Here we bet with virtual beers. lol
    05-15-13 03:59 PM
    Watching the Google keynote today and Larry Page was talking about industry infighting and how it's holding some tech back. While a fair point, how about you make your products available on other platforms like BB10? Basically every app or product accounced was obviously on android and iOS. Kinda hypocritical in my view to say one thing and not act.

While I was amazed by the cool stuff they showed, I picked up my Z10 and started getting things done. In the end, I concluded that the phone does what I want it to do and I think BBRY has been smart to target that consumer base who wants just those things.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 03:59 PM
    Talking about DoD today, this sounds encouraging, esp. the "what I can say..."

BlackBerry Still Confident in Enterprise Presence

Some called this (allowing Sammy in DoD) the final nail in BlackBerry's coffin, as the loss of exclusivity with government agencies is a crippling blow for the company. But Scott Totzke, Senior VP of BlackBerry Security, isn't sweating the news.

"What I can say is that the only vendor that provides all of the capabilities to deploy, support, and secure devices out of the box is BlackBerry," said Totzke. "The other vendors are reliant on third parties." BlackBerry, meanwhile, has a deep integration of security, he said. He mentioned not only the mobile device management aspect of BES 10.1, but the company's trusted network infrastructure as well.

"We have a very complete solution," he said. "We're delighted to see DoD invest in and support BlackBerry."
    05-15-13 04:01 PM
    Yes, a "pearl of nature", thats at least what the commercial says. No matter how expensive in the US, my relatives always have a couple in their fridge when im going to visit them next year^^
    lcjr, Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    05-15-13 04:08 PM
    Ok so we know the ER is late june and DoD MDM decision will be 'by the end of june'. Are there any catalysts before this that will move the SP or are we going to muddle around 15-16 until then?
    05-15-13 04:09 PM
    Charles, did you get this figured out yet? It took me a while last night to register and then download the updated BMM app. Had to reboot then could scan the barcode invite to access what angredmontonian set up. A few of us are already on the channel.
    No I haven't looked at it yet. I'm outside trampolining with my kids. Lol
    05-15-13 04:14 PM
    Ok so we know the ER is late june and DoD MDM decision will be 'by the end of june'. Are there any catalysts before this that will move the SP or are we going to muddle around 15-16 until then?
    Q10 launch in the US?
    morganplus8 and Shanerredflag like this.
    05-15-13 04:23 PM
    Not a lot of sex appeal. i think my panis turtled...LOL
    What's that you say about your panis?
    05-15-13 04:27 PM
    Q10 launch in the US?
    Sorry, no. See: Z10 launch in US

Edit: Hope I'm wrong, of course!
    lcjr and take99 like this.
    05-15-13 04:29 PM
    05-15-13 04:29 PM
    Getting relatively frustrated by BBRY's returns so far. I'm not one who got in at the super lowest point, but acquired some around the time of the Z10 launch. I had done some research and even bought a Z10 cause I thought it was a nice phone and it seemed like BBRY was on the right track. As I go through my monthly portfolio re-evaluation, I find BBRY under performing compared to just about everything else. Lots of news articles out there (bullish and bearish) and although I'm taking the bullish side, it just doesn't seem to move well. Sure it may be a long term play, but so is everything else I hold. The tepid market response and high level of volatility (with it's implied market manipulation) make me feel my money may be better invested elsewhere as I have no protection against the manipulation. I think I will hold on until the ER, but after that if, BBRY does not seem to make a solid move, I'm going to move my money into other companies.

Basically: Under performing relative to other companies, not certain about the future for the company, holding until ER then making major decision about my BBRY stake.

Just wanted to share.
    05-15-13 04:40 PM
    No I haven't looked at it yet. I'm outside trampolining with my kids. Lol
    While on the phone. What skills you have !! lol
    05-15-13 04:46 PM
    Even with the Q10 release, I don't see us doing much better until two weeks after the ER. Just a guess though, but looking back the SP dove after the ER.
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    05-15-13 04:48 PM
    Getting relatively frustrated by BBRY's returns so far. I'm not one who got in at the super lowest point, but acquired some around the time of the Z10 launch. I had done some research and even bought a Z10 cause I thought it was a nice phone and it seemed like BBRY was on the right track. As I go through my monthly portfolio re-evaluation, I find BBRY under performing compared to just about everything else. Lots of news articles out there (bullish and bearish) and although I'm taking the bullish side, it just doesn't seem to move well. Sure it may be a long term play, but so is everything else I hold. The tepid market response and high level of volatility (with it's implied market manipulation) make me feel my money may be better invested elsewhere as I have no protection against the manipulation. I think I will hold on until the ER, but after that if, BBRY does not seem to make a solid move, I'm going to move my money into other companies.

Basically: Under performing relative to other companies, not certain about the future for the company, holding until ER then making major decision about my BBRY stake.

Just wanted to share.
    certainly nothing wrong with that. I'm doing the same come the September ER. If we're still floating around the $16 mark after the SEP ER, then I'll check out other things as well.
    05-15-13 04:50 PM
    What's that you say about your panis?
    Yeah, I wasn't sure either, something about a turtle biting his panis ?
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-15-13 04:53 PM

Just wanted to share.
    Very valid position.

From an investors point of view we are all here a bit too soon. The safest entry point will likely be in one or two more successful quarters. Anybody here now is pushing the boundaries of acceptable risk to gain a better position.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    Charles Martin1 and bungaboy like this.
    05-15-13 04:59 PM
    just watched the video of Thorsten in the Bentley. Like Thor a lot, but please no more awkward clapping! I think it's just the geek in him though. Really hoping something comes together with a big brand like chevy (putting 4g into cars soon, OnStar uses QNX) with an app on the phone to control not only all the car functions, but 'calling' home to turn on lights and open the garage door automatically when within a certain range of home inbound.
    Bugmapper and fedakd like this.
    05-15-13 05:02 PM
    Very valid position.

From an investors point of view we are all here a bit too soon. The safest entry point will likely be in one or two more successful quarters. Anybody here now is pushing the boundaries of acceptable risk to gain a better position.

I guess it depends on when you got in. For me it was ~$7 and now averaging ~$10, so BBRY is doing fine for me.
    05-15-13 05:03 PM
    I guess it depends on when you got in. For me it was ~$7 and now averaging ~$10, so BBRY is doing fine for me.
    Yup... my original purchase was at 10.88 and now average 13.25. Still up 17.4% overall as of close today. Can't really complain about that.
    AngryEdmontonian likes this.
    05-15-13 05:10 PM
    Read up on Viper Alarms. They explain it pretty good. yes, there is a data collection module that's wired into your automobile.
    Is yours the diesel lcjr? If it is its pretty spendy for the control modules...like 2200 bucks spendy. I found out the hard way
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 05-15-13 at 05:23 PM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-15-13 05:11 PM
    That's great, I'm around $14.50 so I can see where his frustration comes from. A couple of mistakes and now all my other stocks have zoomed past BlackBerry, had I stayed with them. In the long run it will all work out.

My point was just that we are still in a battle and many investors don't want the drama and risk.

05-15-13 05:18 PM
    Is your the diesel lcjr? If it is its pretty spendy for the control modules...like 2200 bucks spendy. I found out the hard way
    No, I decided against the diesel here in the US. Not cost effective unless you're pulling heavy equipment across the nation on a continual basis. I didn't buy the Viper yet, just did a lot of research on it and watched many videos of the devices in action. Many alarm companies now have all those capabilities but Viper is rated one of the best. I want all that and more in my phone and not have to go through a third party like Viper. Let's hope it gets here soon.
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    05-15-13 05:20 PM
113,256 ... 10061007100810091010 ...