View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    And we are drinking a different coolaid and liking it. In reality, perception is reality. And BB has a lot of work to do change perception.
    A couple hundred years ago, fat people were beautiful. Today, skinny people are beautiful. Which one is correct? - perception is reality...
    To change that, I think BB need to became a leader (not number 3, no one wants to follow a 3rd guy). They already have the technology to be number 1, but to be a leader I think they need a following-leader (the first set of followers). This could be big organizations such as DoD, or just common people like you and I showing people around us how good BB really is. Once the herd momentum kicks in, you just sit back and watch. At least that's what I am hoping for.
    I got to have meat on the bones...the heroin addict look just doesn't do it.
    05-15-13 09:57 AM
    No, I was thinking if it took off around the $20 mark we would see a peak of $60-$70. The problem will be like TESLA, it didn't hit the cap all at once. It hit the $69 mark, then stabilized, then shot up again and held a few days.
    Yeah. We'll need to coach each other through that.
    Scott Lefebvre and lcjr like this.
    05-15-13 09:59 AM
    Keeping in mind that May 21st is the day of record for share ownership which allows you a voice and vote at the upcoming AGM. It is possible that many shares will be called back.
    Could you explain what I can/must do to claim my voice and vote ? (or maybe I have nothing to do, as it was with my previous EU stocks).
    05-15-13 09:59 AM
    What is the advantage over Skype, Facebook, etc?
    BBM Channels:

Create a channel - Create, edit and publish in an instant, and there are no limits to the number of followers you can have in your channel.

Securely manage your channel from either a BlackBerry smartphone or the web.

Discover channels - BBM Channels includes a carousel that lets you discover new channels. You can share channel invites within a BBM
    chat, and people can be added or invited using the channel's PIN or QR code. -- View - View profiles for each BBM Channel you choose to
    follow.

Subscribe - Subscribing to a channel allows the channel owner to send you timely and relevant updates, giving the subscriber instant access
    to your news, deals, events or whatever you want to communicate. Subscribers can choose to receive notifications when new posts are
    available.

Participate - Participate and engage in conversations with your favorite people or communities by "Commenting" and "Liking" posts from
    channels you subscribe to. Channel owners have the option to directly chat one- on-one with a subscriber.

Monitor engagement - Easily use built-in measuring tools to assess and monitor follower engagement and interaction.
    This new feature takes BBM beyond just a "messaging " platform and turns it into a hybrid Social Media/Messaging application. It can now
    directly compete with the likes of Facebook (FB) and Twitter while at the same time keeping true to its premium messaging roots.
    spike12 and bungaboy like this.
    05-15-13 10:01 AM
    I'll hold you to that Charles! lol I missed out on a lot of money because of my lack of patience.
    Bugmapper and Scott Lefebvre like this.
    05-15-13 10:02 AM
    So alot of talk this morning on the monetization of BBM and how they can turn a revenue from it going multi-platform. Missed the last few pages - so apologies if this idea has come up. But with the announcement of BBM channels, and the rumors of BBM money coming down the pipeline.

If BBM has the mass user base they are hoping to achieve from BBM going multi-platform I see there being a HUGE opportunity for companies to start utilizing BBM channels as a way to conduct business and sell things through their channel using BBM money. Think about it, if a company is able to post an image or a special and then have a purchase through BBM money link - the opportunities for this are huge in that they could be charging businesses to use this service.

Food for thought... anyone wish to discuss?
    05-15-13 10:02 AM
    So give away basic BBM (chat/groups) to iOS and Android -

Then charge them a small fee for vid chat and channels

Larger fee for BES iOS / Android

Sounds good.
    Very few people are going to pay for video chat, there are just too many other options available. Personally, I won't pay for video chat.

No sane person is going to pay for a normal channel... perhaps some content providers may offer a truly unique experience (Lois CK style podcasts) that can be monetized. Similar model to YouTube.
    05-15-13 10:03 AM
    Keeping in mind that May 21st is the day of record for share ownership which allows you a voice and vote at the upcoming AGM. It is possible that many shares will be called back.
    Can you further explain this? I've heard it a couple times, but don't understand how it works exactly.
    More of a sigh of relief for me. My day would have taken a bad turn had it fallen to the 14.50 range.
    Kick back and relax, my friend

Nope, I did too. I bought another 20 shares at $15.11 and now it's already at $15.39. I know, I'm a big spender. lol
    Haha, you saw the opportunity, can't knock the hustle.
    bungaboy and lcjr like this.
    I will probably sell some along the way, but planing to hold most of it another 10 years.
    BlackistheBerry likes this.
    lcjr - I may have missed this in the previous 1000 pages but what trading platform do you use to justify buying 20 shares? Do you use the one through your bank where they don't charge transaction fees? I know there aren't to many of us in the States on this thread but I am just curious because my bank doesn't offer any sort of brokerage platform so I am at the mercy of scottrade.

I would love to be able to play the dips but given the $7 fee and 3-day settle period it makes things kind of difficult.
    BBInPlay likes this.
    05-15-13 10:05 AM
    I don't think that will happen. The rights follow the shares. There is no calling back shares, they are either loaned out or they are not, you can't sever the share/vote AFAIK. Anyone trading or with margin abilities usually has agreed (sometimes unknowingly) to allow their shares to be loaned out. Remember shares are fungible, your broker has to come up with your xxx shares if you want to sell them, but its like a bank, you won't get back identifiable shares, just the same ###.

Even if you could somehow call them back, these folks are usually not the kind to care much about voting at an annual meeting.

EDIT: Clear as Mud isn't it?? Wanted to double check my thoughts and came across this:

To understand who is the holder of record, and thus who retains the voting rights, you just need to follow the shares. Initially, the shares are held by one of the three sources. Whichever source initially held the shares was also the holder of record. When the shares were used in the short sale transaction, the initial source lost its voting rights as it was no longer the holder of record. Even the margin account customer who holds the shares long will lose his or her voting rights in this situation - this is part of the margin account agreement.

The shares are then sold in the market, and the investor who purchases these shares becomes the holder of record for these shares, thus controlling the voting rights. The investor going short does not get the voting rights. When this investor closes his or her short position, the shares are returned to the brokerage firm, and the voting rights return to the initial owner whose shares were used in the short sale.
    Last edited by OMGitworks; 05-15-13 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added quote
    BBInPlay likes this.
    05-15-13 10:08 AM
    I don't think charging for premium services will be the way for them to monetize BBM. Selling channels and advertising on them for brands seems the logical way for me. Yesterday they kept mentioning the word "brand" when talking about channels. I think channels in collaboration with growing the BBM user base on iOS and Android (and BB10) will be beneficial down the road.

Great thoughts there!

I also see how this could be the knife in the back of any attempt to upset BlackBerry with their Enterprise customers. If you thought BYOD was a problem for BlackBerry now, with entrenched Apple eco systems, look again, Enterprise needed a reason to get all of their iEmployees/Android users on the same page, and with BBM, this will be more than enough to hand out tons of BB phones. What is missing from a BB experience, a few games? BYOD isn't exactly working out well right now, Enterprise needs a reason to limit BYOD and set a standard once again and BlackBerry is the complete package. BlackBerry wins on BES10 revenues and regains stardom as a top/only Enterprise solution. They are simply brilliant!
    m0de25, leafs123, tygros and 7 others like this.
    05-15-13 10:09 AM
    Just smiled, but I believe we share the same thoughts !
    I laughed my black *** off at my desk.

A couple colleagues of mine have invested in the stock recently and their stomachs are struggling to handle the volatility. I just have to show them that its been a lot worse than this lol.
    05-15-13 10:11 AM
    I laughed my black *** off at my desk.

A couple colleagues of mine have invested in the stock recently and their stomachs are struggling to handle the volatility. I just have to show them that its been a lot worse than this lol.
    No kidding, this is rock solid compared to recent history!
    lcjr and Bugmapper like this.
    05-15-13 10:13 AM
    Can someone clarify or post a link regarding the the BES10 - $100/non BB device fee? is it $100 per year or a one shot deal? I've read one thing, then the other on this....
    05-15-13 10:14 AM
    lcjr - I may have missed this in the previous 1000 pages but what trading platform do you use to justify buying 20 shares? Do you use the one through your bank where they don't charge transaction fees? I know there aren't to many of us in the States on this thread but I am just curious because my bank doesn't offer any sort of brokerage platform so I am at the mercy of scottrade.

I would love to be able to play the dips but given the $7 fee and 3-day settle period it makes things kind of difficult.
    Hello bergeron37! My bank is a huge financial institution (USAA) and they have an internal brokerage account we can use. When you open a brokerage account with them they give you 50 free trades, regardless of amount. There after, we pay a modest $8.75 per trade, regardless of amount. USAA is for active duty service members, their families, and us retirees. This gives people like myself that don't have a lot of money the opportunity to hang out with you big guys.
    05-15-13 10:15 AM
    Great thoughts there!

I also see how this could be the knife in the back of any attempt to upset BlackBerry with their Enterprise customers. If you thought BYOD was a problem for BlackBerry now, with entrenched Apple eco systems, look again, Enterprise needed a reason to get all of their iEmployees/Android users on the same page, and with BBM, this will be more than enough to hand out tons of BB phones. What is missing from a BB experience, a few games? BYOD isn't exactly working out well right now, Enterprise needs a reason to limit BYOD and set a standard once again and BlackBerry is the complete package. BlackBerry wins on BES10 revenues and regains stardom as a top/only Enterprise solution. They are simply brilliant!
    I noticed that a lto of reports skipped over the BES updates as if it never happened but its an important win that adds so much value to BBRY. Just today alone we have seen so many US-centric BES 10 announcements and the Q10 still has not fully gone live even on the business side here. It makes me very happy to be long BBRY.

I was already going to pick up more shares based on that and with the BBM X-platform announcement that caused the drop, it was like a perfect storm for me to increase my position.

I have no issues with the market not pricing these things in immediately and actually appreciate it as it allows me to go long stronger and by the time the market does catch-up, I would have positioned myself to benefit. I no longer hate the bears and actually welcome them as market players, I just use them to my advantage.
    05-15-13 10:16 AM
    Yeah. I wish somebody stopped me from buying more yesterday. This morning was a beautiful opportunity.
    05-15-13 10:17 AM
    Hello bergeron37! My bank is a huge financial institution (USAA) and they have an internal brokerage account we can use. When you open a brokerage account with them they give you 50 free trades, regardless of amount. There after, we pay a modest $8.75 per trade, regardless of amount. USAA is for active duty service members, their families, and us retirees. This gives people like myself that don't have a lot of money the opportunity to hang out with you big guys.
    I use OptionsXpress for my options play, Fidelity for my personal stock and Chase for my 401K (mandated by employer). Chase is the most expensive but I have no choice
    lcjr likes this.
    05-15-13 10:18 AM
    I give the decision of BBM cross-platforms a positive view. If they play this smart (I think they will), this can help selling BB phones and gain the market share quickly.
    This is the way to do it:
    At the beginning, the functions of BMM will be at the equal footing for all the platforms. In this phase, it hooks as many BBM users as possible (said, 50 million BBM users from iPhones and Andoids).
    On the next upgrade of the BBM, the new functions will only be comparable with BB phone.
    This will motivate the iphone and andords users to upgrade their phone with a BB phone.
    05-15-13 10:19 AM
    Depends what your options strategy is. If you're trading short term I wouldn't do bb.to bc the volume is garbage. Buying in the money/at the money LEAPS on bb.to are fine in my opinion though. Plus you save on the currency exchange.
    Exactly....so the great BB_Trader is talking about all his great moves on options on the TSX..... I only play options on the US market and I am no genius....just believe in BBRY and liking the ride so far.
    05-15-13 10:23 AM
    I use OptionsXpress for my options play, Fidelity for my personal stock and Chase for my 401K (mandated by employer). Chase is the most expensive but I have no choice
    Yep, my 401K is also through my employer (DoD) and it's the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP). Awsome way to get free money with their matching contributions and such. My TSP is my not to distant civilian retirement account and the BBRY is for my two daughters. You know, help them out with their first mortgage down payment and such.
    05-15-13 10:24 AM
    Good to keep an eye on the competition today. Gonna check out the Google I/O keynote at 12. Going to be interesting as to what they show off. Unified messaging system is one of the rumours.
    MasterMoe likes this.
    05-15-13 10:25 AM
    05-15-13 10:25 AM
113,256 ... 10001001100210031004 ...