View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Since we are about to, or already on page 1,000. I'm going to make a suggestion to all the new investors out there.

Read and understand "The Intelligent Investor" by Benjamin Graham.

It's a big book and it was written back in '49 but it has been revised several times and it still applies today. (Note that I said new investors, not new traders.... different DNA) If you don't know who Benjamin Graham is... he schooled Warren Buffet. And if you don't know who Warren Buffet is..... ya might wanna Google him before you go too much further in the investing game.

Just a little PSA... and congratulations to Superfly_FR on 1,000 pages!!
    05-15-13 09:02 AM
    one positive thing is that even with the analyst downgrade
    there hasn't been a freefall, but only about a 23 cent spread today.

wheeeeee....a little bitty spike. who-da-thunk-it. lol
    05-15-13 09:05 AM
    anyone see that spike? +.30 cents in a split second

my rumor of buffet buying is in taking hold!
    Charles Martin1 and bungaboy like this.
    05-15-13 09:06 AM
    Rebounding now...
    05-15-13 09:06 AM
    A spike. What just happened?
    05-15-13 09:07 AM
    Added another 1500 at 15.10 on bb.to.

Also, a question for you seasoned investors. I just inherited a good chunk of money and wanted to invest alot of it into BBRY. I want to do it at a time that it can have the most impact on the SP (if at all). I have $350 000. What would the best way (timing wise) be to throw that money into the stock to move against the bulls / increase momentum.

Thank you
    Stevenson232!

Glad to hear that you made a purchase today! That's was a bold move and one that will pay off for you shortly. I can tell you that $ 2 million dollars wouldn't make a difference to the price of this stock unless it was applied to the purchase of Call Options, "out of the money" at that, and not too far into the future. So deploy your new found funds carefully and get the best price that you can out of respect to the previous owner of those funds. BlackBerry is doing some radical things these days and when Wall Street catches on, this one is going up large!

Got to love your drive man!!!

Best of luck.
    05-15-13 09:07 AM
    anyone see that spike? +.30 cents in a split second

my rumor of buffet buying is in taking hold!

That is why there is a 10:30 dip, or change in direction with this stock. Warren Buffet lives in the Central Time Zone, so he is just sitting down at his computer at 10:30 Eastern Time (9:30 Central), and begins to day trade BlackBerry. He is known as a long term value investor, but secretly he likes to day trade in his pajamas every day with a cup of coffee!
    05-15-13 09:10 AM
    Just like expected, we're testing DMA50. I have my sell order for my puts and we're only few more cents away from filling. Then back to calls.

Same here; selling my puts. I'm now debating on whether I should add more stocks or not. My gut tells me I should. But the downgrade is really getting on my nerve.

Edit: lost my opportunity while typing this post on my z10.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 09:10 AM
    Did someone hit send on all these BES upgrades news releases? lol
    I think so, but a day too late in my humble opinion. Poor timing may have cost us a 5% slip. We WILL recover but why did they wait?
    Bugmapper and Tech Consultant like this.
    05-15-13 09:15 AM
    just came across this, figured I'd share with my online pals...

Not sure what the reasoning is, if any, behind the wacky predictions, but it is what it is...

09:39 AM EDT, 05/15/2013 (MidnightTrader) -- Event: "We attended BlackBerry's annual user conference in Orlando."

Key Takeaways: "The phantom phablet was the main conference chatter. We had a conversation with one important U.S. carrier that indicated a larger Z10 version would be launched later this year or early next year. Indeed chatter of a larger smartphone seemed to overshadow the excitement of the new Q5 and BBM opening up to iOS and Android. We'd like to see BlackBerry charge a subscription service for BBM on iOS and Android; perhaps a premium service is in the cards later this year. The new Q5 handset could be as successful as the Curve, but Nokia's Asha handsets and low-priced Android devices are pressuring gross margin in this segment. While we are a bit more positive on BlackBerry after the show, we still can't recommend this stock on fundamentals. Our view remains that the company needs more downsizing and focus on its niche enterprise and qwerty constituents.

Remain Underperform, US$10/share target.
    05-15-13 09:19 AM
    I sold $100k of PG on Monday and added it to BBRY yesterday when I thought we had fallen as far as we could. It really grates me when I miss it, even by 50 cents. Then to see my PG climbing...throws salt in the wounds. lol

That's the shell game we play...
    Bugmapper and bungaboy like this.
    05-15-13 09:19 AM
    Another SA:

Verizon, Short-Sellers Show Strong BlackBerry Interest; Shares Tough To Borrow

Disclosure: I am long BBRY. (More...)

Verizon Wireless (VZ) has been very quiet about BlackBerry (BBRY), until the Jefferies 2013 Global technology conference. BBRY's Z10 has been the subject of numerous articles here on SA. The imminent debut of the Qwerty keyboard Q10 built on the BB10 operating platform seems to have brought Verizon Wireless out of the closet. AllthingsD reports:

Verizon Wireless CEO Dan Mead is rooting for a BlackBerry comeback. In his view, the Android-iOS duopoly that Google and Apple have established is begging for disruption, and BlackBerry is potentially one company to provide it.

"We think that there is an important place for BlackBerry," Mead told attendees of the Jefferies 2013 Global Technology, Media and Telecom Conference this week.

Our independent informal check with Verizon retailers confirms Z10 sales, which support estimates of 3-4% of total store sales. In addition, Verizon Wireless sales agents say there are a lot of inquiries on the coming Qwerty keyboard model Q10. So now what happens with the significant shorts outstanding, over 164 million as of April 30th, according to Nasdaq. Coupled with resurfaced rumblings of Carl Icahn's interest which we have previously written about, BBRY may be poised for its long awaited squeeze and exit party for the shorts who have garnered lots of ink here on SA. We checked Friday with our prime broker on availability and costs to borrow BBRY shares and the conclusion was not good news for the shorts. Availability of shares is almost zero, many wire houses are rationing shares for borrowing and the price has gone up from a negative 6% rebate to 8.5-9%. Things are getting tight and BBRY shares may soon erupt.

Verizon may be in the hunt to do something more ambitious itself in terms of M&A. In fact, VZ is pushing to buy out its joint venture partner Vodafone (VOD). CNBC reported:

Six major Vodafone investors said $100 billion was not enough for the British company's stake in its U.S. joint venture with Verizon Communications, and urged the latter to come up with an offer of at least $120 billion. ...

...Should the $100 billion figure stand, the six shareholders, with around 1.3 billion of Vodafone's shares between them, said they would prefer the British group to push for a full merger with Verizon instead.

We think there may be more behind the kind words VZ has for BBRY. In fact, they may need to buy BBRY to block the push for a merger from Vodafone. Why? Because the complexity of a three way deal with VODAF, VZ and BBRY would make things extremely political and may make VODAF settle for less than the $120 billion the large shareholders are demanding. In basketball, this is called a 'pick', in water polo it's a 'screen'. Any way you slice it, BBRY, with its ever growing healthy debt free balance sheet, seems to be in a very nice position to bring upside to its shareholders - especially with the valuable off-balance-sheet asset of the growing short interest in its stock.

And then there is this report:

Earlier today a report from Scotia Capital analyst Gus Papageorgiou stated that if Research In Motion Ltd can't do enough to stabilize itself with its current range of smart phones, it is likely that a company like IBM (IBM) will swoop in and take over at the firm. The report put a price target of $22.50 on the company's shares, and gave them an outperform rating. Shares in the company opened today at $15.15.

Conclusion

We think BBRY has done a great job turning the ship around and has carved itself a nice piece of global wireless's computing future. With the short interest and the constant chatter of strategic interest in the company, we think the shares will continue to be volatile and are poised in the shorter term to go higher, very possibly violently higher.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 09:21 AM
    I think so, but a day too late in my humble opinion. Poor timing may have cost us a 5% slip. We WILL recover but why did they wait?
    Even with those numbers the bears has already started the raid and I don't think anyone would have stopped it (that could). Looks like Misek + Wells + BES customers are offsetting the Berstein downgrade...almost. Let's see how it closes.
    Charles Martin1 and bungaboy like this.
    05-15-13 09:22 AM
    I laughed out loud reading this hahah good start to a day

That is why there is a 10:30 dip, or change in direction with this stock. Warren Buffet lives in the Central Time Zone, so he is just sitting down at his computer at 10:30 Eastern Time (9:30 Central), and begins to day trade BlackBerry. He is known as a long term value investor, but secretly he likes to day trade in his pajamas every day with a cup of coffee!
    05-15-13 09:23 AM
    BB_Trader. You covered at 14.84 right? ahahahaha

I won't see your reply or maybe you already posted it....you are GENIUS.
    05-15-13 09:24 AM
    And now we are green!
    05-15-13 09:26 AM
    We're on page 1000 !

Hey, congrats to everyone (Especially Superfly_FR).

And the stock is trending back up.
    05-15-13 09:27 AM
    Also...I added some more this morning, I believe some analysts and a big chunk of the general financial media are extremely short sighted, not able to see past the "what now...no exclusive BBM" thing. It's a big deal and just the beginning of their vision of mobile imo...exciting times.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 09:27 AM
    I see green!!

Happy 1000!
    05-15-13 09:28 AM
    I should have ditched Bernstein and listen to Morgan. Ugh.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 09:29 AM
    I feel for the guy that bought the 16.50 and 17 weekly calls. From all the positive stuff we heard this week this stock should be much higher. It's an absolute crime that we're not in the 20's.

I think eventually the options writers are going to get burned a cpl weeks in a row and they'll move their attention to a different stock. Once that happens, the stock will fly.
    05-15-13 09:31 AM
    Love this:

We checked Friday with our prime broker on availability and costs to borrow BBRY shares and the conclusion was not good news for the shorts. Availability of shares is almost zero, many wire houses are rationing shares for borrowing and the price has gone up from a negative 6% rebate to 8.5-9%. Things are getting tight and BBRY shares may soon erupt.
    05-15-13 09:31 AM
    They were waiting for our 1K page before turning back green.
    Alright now, enough with "you will die - I told you" forecasts.
    We won't die. We will raise. Don't be too excited, even less rushed.

Stay Calm and Call your mum/dad, just to say I love you.
    Much better, if you have the chance to have them around, IMHO.
    05-15-13 09:32 AM
    I have been watching the 10:15-10:30 am ET deep for days now and after I decided to act on it today, it seems it in not coming ...
    05-15-13 09:32 AM
    So give away basic BBM (chat/groups) to iOS and Android -

Then charge them a small fee for vid chat and channels

Larger fee for BES iOS / Android

Sounds good.
    05-15-13 09:33 AM
113,256 ... 998999100010011002 ...