View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    It got rid of the Rogers Wireless but text messaging is still inoperable.
    Did you check the APN?
    05-15-13 07:57 AM
    Click on the name above their avatar, select forum profile, then on the left side is "add to ignore list ".

Unless it is me...

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    And I've added the first person ever on CrackBerry to my Ignore list
    05-15-13 07:57 AM
    At the keynote address for BlackBerry Live 2013 by Thorsten Heins yesterday a few new twists were unveiled for the future of BlackBerry (BBRY). The most important announcement is probably the most confusing for some investors and that is the news that BBM (BlackBerry Messenger) will be going "cross platform" this summer. BlackBerry has decided to open up BBM to iOS and Android users and make it a universal application. It was announced that BBM would be a free application to all platforms and with that came the inevitable question, "If it's free, how does BlackBerry make money"?

What exactly is BBM in its current form?

BBM is first and foremost a Messaging platform currently only available to BlackBerry users.
    It has 60 million active users.
    There are approx 10 billion BBM messages processed daily.
    BBM users average approx 90 minutes of use daily in one form or another
    Users enjoy message "D" for delivered and "R" for read feedback when messages are sent, delivered and read.
    There is the ability to form BBM Groups so that up to 30 people can enjoy a group chat which is a feature used and enjoyed by many Enterprise customers.
    Users can share photos.
    BBM offers the ability for Audio and Video chatting as well as the ability to "share screens" during video chats.
    What does the competition look like?

WhatsApp (200 million users) offers a "free" messaging system but lacks the premium features that BBM offers (Video, Groups, Screen sharing).
    Twitter (500 million users) is more of a Social Network based on limited (140 Character) "tweets".
    ooVoo- (75 million users) Limited messaging ability.
    Instagram (100 million users) Photograph focused, messaging ability
    Kik Messenger (50 million users) Limited, text messaging platform.
    Skype (280 million users) Voice and Audio messaging service.
    BBM with its current 60 million active users sits at the lower end of the count in terms of overall users. Now that it gets opened up to iOS and Android users we will see this user base grow very rapidly. It offers a premium range of services when compared to the competition and it is free to boot. It is not unrealistic to see BBM grow to 500 million users by the end of 2013.

BBM Channels

BlackBerry also announced a new feature for BBM called BBM Channels.

BBM Channels features:

Create a channel - Create, edit and publish in an instant, and there are no limits to the number of followers you can have in your channel. Securely manage your channel from either a BlackBerry smartphone or the web.
    Discover channels - BBM Channels includes a carousel that lets you discover new channels. You can share channel invites within a BBM chat, and people can be added or invited using the channel's PIN or QR code. -- View - View profiles for each BBM Channel you choose to follow.
    Subscribe - Subscribing to a channel allows the channel owner to send you timely and relevant updates, giving the subscriber instant access to your news, deals, events or whatever you want to communicate. Subscribers can choose to receive notifications when new posts are available.
    Participate - Participate and engage in conversations with your favorite people or communities by "Commenting" and "Liking" posts from channels you subscribe to. Channel owners have the option to directly chat one- on-one with a subscriber.
    Monitor engagement - Easily use built-in measuring tools to assess and monitor follower engagement and interaction.
    This new feature takes BBM beyond just a "messaging " platform and turns it into a hybrid Social Media/Messaging application. It can now directly compete with the likes of Facebook (FB) and Twitter while at the same time keeping true to its premium messaging roots.

Monetizing BBM

Having a large base of active users is a very attractive proposition for corporations. Business, retailers, celebrities and key brands can directly interact with these users and that means money.

Discreet advertising can and will become part of BBM Channels.
    BBM is already a key feature in many Apps available on the BB10 platform. This means BBM is not only cross platform but can now be cross application. Some examples of this can be found in the latest Songza and Texas Hold'em applications for BB10. These apps are taking advantage of the active users and groups within BBM to engage the app users directly and allowing more functionality.
    BBM Money is another feature that facilitates banking and financial transactions between users. Currently pilot testing in Indonesia, BBM Money will allow user to user financial transactions as well as become a built in payment system for BBM Channels.
    The implications for making BBM a cross platform application are huge. The opportunities to monetize will grow as they have with any other social media application. The key for BlackBerry is to grow that base and by offering it for free to iOS and Android users they will do just that. This is a smart move on the part of BlackBerry and fits in nicely with Thorsten Heins stated goal of putting a slice of BB10 everywhere. Active users of the service can effectively become the de facto "subs" that bears like to point out BlackBerry has been losing. By having a large and growing user base actively engaged in BBM, BlackBerry can influence future smartphone buyers to look at BlackBerry offering directly as a smartphone option while at the same time "engaging" non BlackBerry users on a daily basis.

Once the market fully comprehends the value that can be unlocked with BBM the case for BlackBerry becomes more bullish.
    05-15-13 08:01 AM
    And I've added the first person ever on CrackBerry to my Ignore list
    Congratulations! Welcome to the club.

(I don't suffer fools, I've got a few on ignore already and they get there after only one posting! I find that once people go to crazy town... they never come back so I might as well ignore them and get on with life)
    tygros, bungaboy and lcjr like this.
    05-15-13 08:03 AM
    We need to see some fight today.
    05-15-13 08:05 AM
    Orgasmophone...lol
    Better than beating yourself into an iGasm.
    05-15-13 08:05 AM
    This probably will not help your 10.1 issue.

But Hub can be independently restart by

How to restart the BlackBerry 10 Hub easily using this awesome five swipe gesture! | CrackBerry.com
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-15-13 08:09 AM
    Thanks for that piece of info. Just added my first troll to my ignore list.
    When I see BB_Traitor I can't help but think of Lord HawHaw and Tokyo Rose types.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    05-15-13 08:11 AM
    We got the City of New York and BMO and with earlier news with LA, this would be an interesting day. Damn Bernstein for downgrading today.

ORLANDO, FLORIDA--(Marketwired - May 15, 2013) - BlackBerry Live 2013 - BlackBerry� (BBRY)(BB.TO) today announced a number of North American enterprises across a diverse range of sectors, including high tech, banking, retail and government that have adopted BlackBerry� 10 and BlackBerry� Enterprise Service 10 as part of their mobile strategy. The growing number of organizations testing, adopting or reaffirming commitment to BlackBerry as their Enterprise Mobility Management solution, include: Canadian Tire Corporation, ING DIRECT, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, Ricoh Canada and Torys LLP.

Enterprise Momentum

Toufik Zigha, IT Manager of the New York City Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications (DOITT) confirmed that, "The City of New York DOITT intends to deploy 2,000 BlackBerry 10 smartphones by this summer and views BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 as a key component to our enterprise mobility strategy."

Similarly, BMO Financial Group, a leading Canadian financial organization that serves more than 12 million personal, commercial, corporate and institutional customers in North America and internationally, endorsed BlackBerry 10 as their platform of choice.

"We are placing BlackBerry 10 orders with our North American carriers," said Claudette McGowan, Vice President, Digital Workspace Services, BMO Financial Group. "BlackBerry remains our enterprise standard and we've begun deploying within our environment."

BlackBerry support also remains extremely strong among organizations that must balance both employee demands and complex business requirements. "As a CIO, I know that when I give my employees a BlackBerry smartphone, everything is going to work with limited effort required by our IT administrators," said Nigel Carpenter, Chief Information Officer, Canadian Diabetes Association. "For me, when it comes down to core business functionality, it's a no brainer that BlackBerry is the only way to go."

BlackBerry 10 is a robust and reliable platform that is smooth and responsive. It features a modern design and a gesture-based interface that is highly discoverable and designed to support, learn and adapt to the way you work. BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 builds on more than a decade of BlackBerry enterprise mobility management expertise, which is the most widely deployed mobility solution in enterprises today. BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 offers mobile device management, mobile application management and secure mobile connectivity, and delivers a cost-efficient and reliable solution for business customers.
    Tinomane, m0de25, snejpa and 13 others like this.
    05-15-13 08:12 AM
    Does anyone know the date of the ER in June?
    June 28th.
    05-15-13 08:13 AM
    Keep in mind much of the rally up on BB that we saw yesterday was based upon the hopium DOW rally, good grief, the DOW ramped up to +123 yesterday, +39 % in the last 60 minutes of trading. The uptick on BB yesterday was not all about BB, in particular the last hour of trading. No doubt there is going to be a pullback on BB, with or without a downgrade. Dow Jones | Dow Jones Index | DJI
    I'll bite... On what grounds? How is anything BBRY said yesterday grounds for a pullback? You still haven't answered my previous question... No numbers are not enough reason to downgrade. Adding a phone that addresses a market in need is a good thing, and it is coming to the UK to in July - US will be later in the year so it doesn't cannibalize. How are these negatives?
    Go spew your crap in the "I DON'T support BBRY at this time" forum...
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-15-13 08:13 AM
    We got the City of New York and BMO.

ORLANDO, FLORIDA--(Marketwired - May 15, 2013) - BlackBerry Live 2013 - BlackBerry� (BBRY)(BB.TO) today announced a number of North American enterprises across a diverse range of sectors, including high tech, banking, retail and government that have adopted BlackBerry� 10 and BlackBerry� Enterprise Service 10 as part of their mobile strategy. The growing number of organizations testing, adopting or reaffirming commitment to BlackBerry as their Enterprise Mobility Management solution, include: Canadian Tire Corporation, ING DIRECT, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, Ricoh Canada and Torys LLP.

Enterprise Momentum

Toufik Zigha, IT Manager of the New York City Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications (DOITT) confirmed that, "The City of New York DOITT intends to deploy 2,000 BlackBerry 10 smartphones by this summer and views BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 as a key component to our enterprise mobility strategy."

Similarly, BMO Financial Group, a leading Canadian financial organization that serves more than 12 million personal, commercial, corporate and institutional customers in North America and internationally, endorsed BlackBerry 10 as their platform of choice.

"We are placing BlackBerry 10 orders with our North American carriers," said Claudette McGowan, Vice President, Digital Workspace Services, BMO Financial Group. "BlackBerry remains our enterprise standard and we've begun deploying within our environment."

BlackBerry support also remains extremely strong among organizations that must balance both employee demands and complex business requirements. "As a CIO, I know that when I give my employees a BlackBerry smartphone, everything is going to work with limited effort required by our IT administrators," said Nigel Carpenter, Chief Information Officer, Canadian Diabetes Association. "For me, when it comes down to core business functionality, it's a no brainer that BlackBerry is the only way to go."

BlackBerry 10 is a robust and reliable platform that is smooth and responsive. It features a modern design and a gesture-based interface that is highly discoverable and designed to support, learn and adapt to the way you work. BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 builds on more than a decade of BlackBerry enterprise mobility management expertise, which is the most widely deployed mobility solution in enterprises today. BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 offers mobile device management, mobile application management and secure mobile connectivity, and delivers a cost-efficient and reliable solution for business customers.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-15-13 08:14 AM
    Looks like Thor is rallying the troops, trying to fend off the bears. Good stuff. Real world numbers and companies.
    matthewriedle and bungaboy like this.
    05-15-13 08:14 AM
    Did you check the APN?
    APN settings are greyed out, which was the problem I was experiencing. After the update, the phone had no APN set and couldn't enter it manually. Telus was useless and didn't offer me any support so did a wipe and it's fine now. This update was supposed to bring the option of editing the APN but from my understanding, carriers have the option to grey that out.

Just a side note, I know it's a stock thread.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-15-13 08:16 AM
    I wish there was a way we can lock this thread down to include just people who have contributed here greatly and not those who comment like a 10 year old internet troll. Just seems like that a lot of people from stocktwits are coming to this great thread and just trolling away with comments.
    It is really quite sad one has to resort to an "ignore" function for trolls and disruptive posters.

Just keep reporting them as being "disruptive". The MODS will eventually permanent ban them.
    leafs123 likes this.
    05-15-13 08:16 AM
    Wow, some good, solid news coming out now. Hang on to your hats today!

Edit: any PM movement? Hoping its still going down so I can get some orders in
    05-15-13 08:20 AM
    I feel like I need to point out some patterns here, many of you are panicking here and it is totally unwarranted:

Chart showing the past 8 months:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-may-15a-2013-chart.jpg

Here we have the trade for the past 8 months using a more progressive declining line downward. We can't change the uptrend line and that is where we have received support for the past 8 months here. Please, .... the days of "trading in the $ 13's are long over here. There is zero hint that we will see $ 13.00 plus, again. So give up on that one. Now, look at support, it occurs at the 50-dma ($ 14.77/shr) and it occurs on the 8-month uptrend line around $ 14.25/shr. There is HUGE support in the $ 14.00's here.

Here is the chart that I like to use because it includes the 52 week high which I think is very important:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-may-15b-2013-chart.jpg

Note that in this chart, we have limited downside today, again, no one on the planet can take-away that 8-month uptrend line, it is history in the making here and so $ 14.25/shr is maximum support here. We can drop below the green uptrend line this morning but the last sell-off only brought us within the 50-dma by $ .18/shr meaning we couldn't even drop back to the 50-dma 6 days ago. Today might be a little different because this bear raid knows that Heins isn't giving out phones sales data so they have one more kick at the cat.

Now, here is the past 22 days of trade:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-may-15-2013-chart.jpg

Over the past 3 weeks we formed a nice little flag formation and we are likely to trade down from that position today given the "raid". We are likely to redraw the support line for our next run at the pennant line though. Until we hear from Heins regarding sales, everything else is just noise allowing the bear raids to continue. Bears were prepared to cover, but the company hasn't forced their hand yet so they take it down. Their time to suffer is coming and this next chart shows you why I say this.

The final chart shows us that the steep declines are a thing of the past:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-may-15c-2013-chart.jpg

Both of these shapes demonstrate that we fell sharply at first, flattened out in the past two months, and now, we are seeing challenges to previous highs and slight sell-offs meaning that the bears are sorely losing these battles. This one is no different. They won't do as much damage as before because of BES10 announcements, DoD potential news, phone sales/launches and earnings take center stage here. The rule of trade is "don't Buy stock on the first day of the break, don't buy on the second day either as that one is the bottoming out process, Buy on the third day".

If you aren't in this for 6 - 12 months, follow the rule of purchasing a stock after a correction. All stocks have to find support, (50-dma ??) and confirm that support, and then rally again. We are no different here. Only hard data will rally the stock in a hard way, and we didn't get any of that this week. Last week we hit $ 14.60/shr as our low, until we take that out, we are up on the period. Let's get past the first hour and come back and review what happened here.
    05-15-13 08:22 AM
    Congratulations! Welcome to the club.

(I don't suffer fools, I've got a few on ignore already and they get there after only one posting! I find that once people go to crazy town... they never come back so I might as well ignore them and get on with life)
    I like your style!
    Bugmapper likes this.
    05-15-13 08:23 AM
    Sooo..... Now that BBM will be cross platform.... I wonder if BlackBerry can now report all those people as "subscribers" in their ER if they find a way to monetize it. Even if it is only a $1 premium for video and/ or BBM money?

Just throwin it out there...
    bungaboy and BlackistheBerry like this.
    05-15-13 08:23 AM
    Still amazes me how these guys can't see the power of what was revealed yesterday.

BBM cross platform, with channels and BBM money. This could dominate all current social media. It will be twitter, skype, instagram, whatsapp, PayPal etc all rolled into one.

Q5 affordable entry point for BlackBerry 10 for consumers. BlackBerry still have a strong market share in developing countries this will be huge. ASP should be good as costs will b e lower to produce.
    I'm even thinking of getting one to go with my Z10 if the keyboard is comfortable.

BES10.1 - OMG money. Can now manage android and iOS. Lowers costs for companies, free upgrade, most secure in industry.

Did no one get what TH was hinting at. In the future it won't just be phones that will be linked to the network, IT IS ANY ENDPOINT. That means cars, medical equipment, etc etc. How will companies manage this.... with an mdm solution. enter BES 10.

This is huge potential upside. Can you imagine if you took all BMW Mercedes Benz and audis in the world. How many don't you think are on the roads? At least a couple of hundred million. Now connect them to BES10 and charge 10 dollars a year per end point

There were more things but these were the things that really hit me in the face. Sure they have to develop the products more and implement first. But thought process has been done already, and they must have stages of implementation done, now they just need to keep executing.

Am I crazy, did anyone else not think this????

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 08:25 AM
    05-15-13 08:26 AM
    APN settings are greyed out, which was the problem I was experiencing. After the update, the phone had no APN set and couldn't enter it manually. Telus was useless and didn't offer me any support so did a wipe and it's fine now. This update was supposed to bring the option of editing the APN but from my understanding, carriers have the option to grey that out.

Just a side note, I know it's a stock thread.
    Looks like I can edit them on mine now.
    05-15-13 08:27 AM
    There's the iPhone killer! Ships with BB10.2 and a free hat!
    bungaboy and Shanerredflag like this.
    05-15-13 08:29 AM
    Morning folks!

I just wanted to add some comments to add to the discussion.

Firstly, as BB investors, I think it's good once in a while to get some bears in the mix of our discussions, it helps give us some perspective to re-evaluate our long position. Most of the time, with no financial/fundamental support a bear's argument can be ignored. However, we have to remember what BB suffered by not keeping up with changes in its environment - the same goes for us investors. No emotion folks, support on fundamentals. If the fundamentals change, so must our positions and sentiment.

Secondly, I'd like to call in for some opinions on BBM's cross-platform announcement. This announcement is fantastic! (I use an S3 and been missing my BBM). However, I'm still unconvinced of its monetary effect on BB's bottom line. I partially feel that in terms of the consumer market, this will slow sales for the Q10 & Z10 partially due to it being considered one of BB's greatest selling features (market sentiment, not mine). Although it's a bearish arguement, I think this is one which carries weight and that we should evaluate and hope for some more in-depth analysis on the business model which could form around BBM. Mainly - how it will effect our bottom line and sales.

I'm really liking Blackberry's vision for mobile computing, I think they're ahead of Apple and Android in this mentality but I believe Microsoft as well is headed in this direction and in the coming decade they will be the biggest competitor by means of this 'mobile computing' environment.

I've added a link below as to what I think our future will look like, I also believe this is what BB's plan is and if so, I'm super excited!

- Compliments of Corning.
    05-15-13 08:30 AM
    Wow, some good, solid news coming out now. Hang on to your hats today!

Edit: any PM movement? Hoping its still going down so I can get some orders in
    Great news, but why the heck wasn't TH mentioning and spouting off about these deals yesterday? It would have taken 30 seconds to list a few major "partners" and some bulk sales numbers. I also found it odd that he gave Brightstar some props and didn't confirm that they were the 1M order. Easy to do and gets that 1M order back in the news. I just don't get why they don't have a better sense of what Wall St likes and how to easily spoon feed them some very positive news. Instead we got talk about how hard it was to match the stitching on the Bentley Leather and other "stuff." It certainly did not need to be the focus, but sooooo easy to let it slip in. Let's rally back today!
    05-15-13 08:30 AM
113,256 ... 9969979989991000 ...