View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    That's weird. What happens if you try to submit without checking it?

Posted via CB10
    It's funny cause I read it as a joke. Like he was cracking and old man joke.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-14-13 10:14 PM
    That's weird. What happens if you try to submit without checking it?

Posted via CB10
    It won't let me go further. Says I have to check that box but I can't. Can't check one of the boxes asking if I have any accessibility needs to. I need to check none but can't. I'll keep trying but you know my patience level. Lol
    05-14-13 10:15 PM
    It's funny cause I read it as a joke. Like he was cracking and old man joke. Not making fun, I really thought it was a joke. I lol'd

05-14-13 10:16 PM
    Been careful over here Kid and come back safe.
    You are in Tokyo? Lets grab some sushi mang!
    05-14-13 10:17 PM
    It won't let me go further. Says I have to check that box but I can't. Can't check one of the boxes asking if I have any accessibility needs to. I need to check none but can't. I'll keep trying but you know my patience level. Lol
    Try just exiting the page and going back to start from scratch.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 10:21 PM
    You are in Tokyo? Lets grab some sushi mang!
    Dang auto correct.. Lol. I meant be careful over there and return home safe.
    Kid Vibe likes this.
    05-14-13 10:22 PM
    Dang auto correct.. Lol. I meant be careful over there and return home safe.
    Damnit haha, thanks! Imagine ICJR and Kid Vibe bringing Blackberry's name back to life in Japan! Haha, that would be epic.
    plane6065, lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    05-14-13 10:24 PM
    Also, are you on a Mac or PC?

Posted via CB10
    Oh yes, got past the first challenge. Now to the next.
    cjcampbell and bungaboy like this.
    I've seen this with Apple's keynotes. Excitement builds for Keynote, Keynote happens, Keynote does not announce invention of time travel and news that 10 million paying customers have already used service, stock drops. Analysts and other short term traders do two things. First, they see if the keynote has something so clearly incredible that they are sure it is a hit. (Note that neither the iPod, iPhone or iPad were clear enough as hits at the Keynote to meet this standard.) Second, even if they spot something that seems like nice news to them, they think "Well, is this clear enough as a good thing for other folks not as smart as me to figure out?" If answer is no, they sell figuring others will dump stock because "OMGZ, Keynote failz!!!". Then they buy back in the next day or two.

This was a nice keynote. I'm comfortable with my BBRY stock. I think it will beat the rest of the market this year. And it has chance at some serious big gains.
    05-14-13 10:28 PM

This was a nice keynote. I'm comfortable with my BBRY stock. I think it will beat the rest of the market this year. And it has chance at some serious big gains.
    Also, we have to remember, this stock is up +30% since the beginning of the year! My gut is telling me by December, we hit 28.
    Last edited by Kid Vibe; 05-15-13 at 12:09 AM.
    lcjr, plane6065, spike12 and 1 others like this.
    05-14-13 10:30 PM
    Okay, I'm in the channels but can't find the right one. I can't scan that barcode so what's the name of the channel?
    05-14-13 10:35 PM
    Okay, I'm in the channels but can't find the right one. I can't scan that barcode so what's the name of the channel?
    Type in the PIN at the top of the search page

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-14-13 10:41 PM
    Not as bad as mine.. I bought yesterday at $16.12 and look at us now.
    Sorry to hear Lcjr, I just got home after voting for our local Premier (your State governed?). What a rough day that look bleak after what most of us here though was positive news. I know you got in at $16.12 , a week and half ago I got my 1000 shares at $16.07. I still have and could have sold it a few times, or brought more and average down.

Like one post mention today, don't buy when everyone buys. Buy when it's down on days like this. It easy to feel the need to sell your share, but for the 8th time I could have made a nice profit by selling and buying again. I did it again today. However, the news that came out by TH was all positive and I know that BB will succeed in time. The share price will go back again (and down/up), but the future is still very positive. Good luck ! I would have had a few beers today but I got to get up at 5am. Cheers!
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-14-13 10:44 PM
    Shorts don't expect sympathy. They have just done all their research and believe the stock will go down. Just like longs feel otherwise. The long side and short side both have unethical people trying to make their profits increase. But just being short or long doesn't make you better than the other. Nor is simply being a short mean you are evil.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry but maybe read it again, I said short term traders. Traders that buy short are not the same thing! But for the record, I will have no sympathy for them either. Expected or not.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-14-13 10:55 PM
    Have to reboot so ill mess with this again tomorrow at lunch.
    05-14-13 11:00 PM
    Have to reboot so ill mess with this again tomorrow at lunch.
    Was just going to walk ya through...I just pulled it off, if I can do it anyone can lol.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-14-13 11:02 PM
    Give the mass a few days to get the Eureka moment. What not to like about today announcements? They were all music to my ears.

Bonus: Songza and Soundhound are coming to bb10. Yes! Developers who take pride in their work will eventually build native apps for bb10 users.
    05-14-13 11:09 PM
    Was just going to walk ya through...I just pulled it off, if I can do it anyone can lol.
    I'm in. LCJR is Lenny there. Good night all, got meetings in the morning.
    05-14-13 11:20 PM
    He's in now.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    05-14-13 11:24 PM
    Interesting article

The Pentagon risks exposing itself to hackers by opening its communications networks to Apple Inc. (AAPL) and Samsung Electronics Co. (005930) smartphones and tablets, according to cybersecurity officials.

The two companies want to crack a market long dominated by Waterloo, Ontario-based BlackBerry, which provides about 470,000 of the U.S. military’s more than 600,000 mobile devices. While those numbers are a fraction of BlackBerry’s 76 million subscribers worldwide, the company has promoted the Defense Department’s security endorsement to commercial and government customers.

The Pentagon’s plan would eventually give employees the flexibility of connecting devices such as Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphones and Apple iPads to unclassified networks. It also would create more vulnerabilities to cybersecurity breaches, said Pat McGarry, principal systems engineer at Ixia, a network security company based in Calabasas, California.

It is a debacle, a disaster waiting to happen,” McGarry said in a phone interview. There is no technology that would make Apple and Samsung smartphones and tablets immune to new malicious software known as malware, he said.

The military on May 2 approved use of Suwon, South Korea-based Samsung’s devices running a secure version of Google Inc. (GOOG)’s Android operating system. At the same time, it cleared Pentagon offices to buy BlackBerry PlayBook tablets and new BlackBerry 10 smartphones.

Apple Approval

Apple, based in Cupertino, California, may win approval as early as this week to sell its iPhones and iPads to the Pentagon.

Samsung, Apple and the newly approved BlackBerry devices “pose an acceptable risk for unclassified communications” when used with a mobile-device management system, said Mark Orndorff, a program executive officer at the Defense Information Systems Agency. Testing will continue to ensure the products are secure, he said.

The Defense Department won’t allow new smartphones and tablets to connect to its networks until a secure device-management system is in place, Orndorff said in an e-mail. It plans to award a contract to build and operate the system by the end of June, he said.

Samsung’s Android and Apple’s iOS operating systems have vulnerabilities that will remain even with a device-management system, McGarry said. They have different architectures than BlackBerry (BBRY) and offer more attack vectors for hackers, including the use of 3G, 4G, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth networks, he said.

BlackBerry “was architected from day one to allow for end-to-end secure communications,” McGarry said.

Google Android

Samsung “is aggressively pursuing the necessary features and security enhancements to meet the stringent requirements of doing business with the U.S. military,” Ashley Wimberly, a company spokeswoman, said in an e-mail.

The electronics company worked with the U.S. National Security Agency to create Knox, a secure version of Google’s Android operating system with multiple layers of software and hardware protection.

The system lets employers keep corporate and military applications and data in a secure place on a smartphone or tablet, and remotely erase them if necessary, according to Samsung.

BlackBerry Security

BlackBerry has more than 1 million U.S. government customers and the market has remained “remarkably stable,” Scott Totzke, senior vice president for BlackBerry security, said in an interview.

The company has long emphasized the security of its products.

“Privacy is built into everything we do, and we’ve been doing it longer and better than anyone in the industry,” Chief Operating Officer Kristian Tear said in a speech yesterday at a conference in Orlando, Florida. “Security has been baked into BlackBerry from the ground up.”

Apple declined to comment, deferring questions to the defense agency, said Trudy Miller, a company spokeswoman.

Giri Sreenivas, a vice president at Rapid7 LLC, a Boston-based cybersecurity company, said the process of updating Apple and Samsung mobile systems with security fixes may pose issues for the military.

Samsung and Apple push out security patches and depend on users to install the fixes, Sreenivas said in a phone interview. BlackBerry controls its own network to deliver security patches to devices, which are automatically installed, he said.

Security Patches

That difference is significant because it may be more difficult for the military to ensure that all its Samsung Knox and Apple devices are protected with the latest security fixes, Sreenivas said. Samsung and Apple users in the military who haven’t properly updated their devices would probably be blocked from accessing networks, he said.

There isn’t a good way to tell if the two companies’ devices have been compromised with malicious code, especially through downloaded applications, said Richard Bejtlich, chief security officer for Mandiant Corp., a computer security firm based in Alexandria, Virginia.

“There are certain countries you go to, you bring your phone up on the national network and they will push rogue code onto your system,” Bejtlich said in an interview. “The second problem you run into is how easy is it for a rogue party to introduce a malicious app onto your system.”

Lost Tablets

The Pentagon sought bids in November from vendors capable of securing as many as 300,000 mobile devices in the next several years.

The winner will enforce security policies on all mobile devices, ensuring only authorized users can tap into military networks. When smartphones or tablet computers are lost or compromised, the vendor must be capable of remotely wiping devices of data, according to the agency.

Companies such as Sunnyvale, California-based Good Technology and Fort Lauderdale, Florida-based Citrix Systems Inc. (CTXS) are on teams that have submitted bids.

Good Technology already has performed similar work with other agencies such as the Department of Homeland Security, said Jeff Ait, public-sector director for the company.

Pentagon Endorsement

While the Pentagon’s security endorsements are considered key milestones, they won’t lead to immediate boosts for Apple and Samsung devices.

“I expect it’s going to take at least another year or two before there is a true broad embrace of these kinds of platforms for the type of usage you’ve seen historically with BlackBerry devices,” said Sreenivas, the Rapid7 vice president.

The Defense Department’s security clearance is valuable because it may encourage other industries, such as health care and financial services, to switch to Apple or Samsung devices, said Carolina Milanesi, research vice president at Stamford, Connecticut-based Gartner Inc.

“Other organizations that might have been reluctant to open up their doors to these providers might change their views going forward,” she said in an e-mail.

To contact the reporters on this story: Chris Strohm in Washington at [email protected]; Kathleen Miller in Washington at [email protected]

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Stephanie Stoughton at [email protected]
    Last edited by take99; 05-14-13 at 11:46 PM.
    05-14-13 11:29 PM
    Some nice articles out there in regards to monetizing bbm. Getting more excited the more I read. Definitely think making bbm cross platform was the right choice. Looking forward to using it on my note ii. Hope to see us rebound today. Guessing the bears will put out some bs also.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using CB Forums mobile app
    bungaboy and Shanerredflag like this.
    05-15-13 02:11 AM
    BB10 Analytics SDK gets anounced. The BB tea leaves are getting easy!
    http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/0...blackberry-10/

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 02:42 AM
    Some nice articles out there in regards to monetizing bbm. Getting more excited the more I read. Definitely think making bbm cross platform was the right choice. Looking forward to using it on my note ii. Hope to see us rebound today. Guessing the bears will put out some bs also.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using CB Forums mobile app
    With BlackBerry already hard at work, building channles with the world top brands. We need to look at this Social Network a bit different then the normal veriety. BBM Channels is working with global brands on one end and the consumers on the other, towards each other. Not relying on a viral take off from the consumer/user side. In a way that no other Social network has or could.
    With the popular brands of the worlds crating content to interact with the consumers of the world. 60 million of which are already waiting. we may see a hole new form of viral penatration. Rememebring in the year 2013, consumers "LOVE" interacting with their brands. CB is a testament to that!
    My mind has literally been flooded with possible Channel concepts today! I'm hard pressed to figure how this is not disruptive technology!
    05-15-13 03:07 AM
    Can someone confirm that what I read in the live blog is correct:

"Android Player is now upgraded to Jellybean 4.2.2"

If this is the case - this is absolutely fantastic news in addition to the other announcements!

This will open the floodgates in our app eco-system and allow us to somewhat leap frog the slow maturation of the app ecosystem. (Albeit with obvious kinks here and there with non-native apps but still very great news nonetheless).
    WILL be updated in 10.2. Beta coming june, gold released in August.
    Nice eh ?
    05-15-13 03:46 AM
113,256 ... 991992993994995 ...