View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I don't think "channels" is referring to video channels necessarily. I think it's more of a BBM styled twitter page.
    It may not be a stretch to use it as such since it can hook up to a big screen TV with an hdmi port easily. The device can handle the streaming video if given a 4G connection. Anyway, just thinking of the possibilities out loud. This thing is evolving rapidly.
    05-14-13 11:17 AM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Just bought another $500k of bb.to

Good time to buy more shares....

Exciting times ahead for BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 11:17 AM
    Not really. If past is any indication, everything is announced during the keynote.
    Maybe so but things will go more in depth. Also there will be more opportunity for Q&A to dive deeper into what they are looking forward to.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-14-13 11:20 AM
    Well, I watched the Live event, went for lunch, came back and now I'm trying to figure out what everyone is excited / upset about and why there are gyrations in the stock. The event was clean and professional, no F-ups, revealed new hardware, software and apps. I thought that was what BB Live was about? Were people expecting Blackberry to announce the new BlackBerry Time Travel app? Or that BlackBerry now has 97% of the world market share of smartphones? WTF?
    05-14-13 11:27 AM
    Just bought another $500k of bb.to

Good time to buy more shares....

Exciting times ahead for BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    Agreed, number of my friends just told me they picked up more. Some of them are professional analysts.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-14-13 11:28 AM
    People this is huge news. BlackBerry is about communication and now they are taking the steps needed to control it on every platform. If they get in with this cross platform then Windows Mobile is dead and takes us squarely into 3rd place. Then you have the Q5 released to emerging markets along with universal messaging - bam! Don't worry about monetizing this. They are doing the right thing by giving it free. Watch and see. This will be number one downloaded app on other platforms.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 11:29 AM
    Well, I watched the Live event, went for lunch, came back and now I'm trying to figure out what everyone is excited / upset about and why there are gyrations in the stock. The event was clean and professional, no F-ups, revealed new hardware, software and apps. I thought that was what BB Live was about? Were people expecting Blackberry to announce the new BlackBerry Time Travel app? Or that BlackBerry now has 97% of the world market share of smartphones? WTF?
    To look at things on the negative.
    No instagram.
    BBM is now cross platform (So loss of people trying to "stick" with BlackBerry phones)
    Still no hard numbers on sales or shipments (which wasn't expected anyways)
    No pricing on new Q5 phone. Worries about it cutting into profit margin.
    05-14-13 11:29 AM
    First thing you guys all thought of when they announced that BBM was corss platform and free was that they didn�t monetize it. The market thought the same thing, it�s the first thing to come to mind. I think they are thinking longer term. Get BBBm cross platform to be ubiquitous and then run services over it that someone is willing to pay for and has the best security in the business bar none. I think this is going to sink in to the markets shortly and I think this is a very exciting development. Anyone got more details on the BES stuff?

I think we will be just fine. Remember to park the emotions. Let the market act irrationally, we need to act rationally.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-14-13 11:31 AM
    35M shares 1/2 way through. Is that due to stops? The bears must have went 'all in' as much as they could. If this bounces back to even aren't they out of ammo?
    05-14-13 11:31 AM
    Yup, thats our boy Meaty.

Im liking the update to the cb app!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using CB Forums mobile app
    Cool � I have two myself. Percy and Edna
    05-14-13 11:34 AM
    Guys, watch the BB Jam keynote at 1PM before we say that nothing was announced on the app front.
    tygros and bungaboy like this.
    05-14-13 11:35 AM
    New record for Crackberry , most people online. Today ,at 18,986 11;30 AM ! Congrats !
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    05-14-13 11:37 AM
    Im sure with that raid it triggered alot of stops on the way down

35M shares 1/2 way through. Is that due to stops? The bears must have went 'all in' as much as they could. If this bounces back to even aren't they out of ammo?
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    05-14-13 11:38 AM
    Let me sum up this thread in two simple sentences..

The GAMBLERS (people that hold for less than a few weeks) on this thread are pissed because the stock price went down, the bet they made is lost and now they are trapped and have to hold or sell for a loss.

The INVESTORS (people that have still held onto their shares since the 7-8's) are thrilled because over the months, you have learned that you were not only buying into a mobile phone hardware company, but also have learned they have invested into the other "hot item" nowadays which is Social Media.

To me, i am thrilled, I can see my shares grow threefold. Corporate Hardware Mobile sales, Consumer Social Media sales, and probably by this time next year, both items will be intergrated into automotive sales.
    05-14-13 11:40 AM
    Well, it could have been worse, we rallied for a few days going into this so where are we on the charts?:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-may-14-2013-chart.jpg

I broadened the upper blue line for the pennant formation as we clearly started out the day just below yesterday's high, leading me to believe that we were in for a bumpy ride. We got that, we also got the raid on the 5-dma and it fell instantly on a dump of stock. The green channel remains intact though, they couldn't break that leading me to believe the worst is over. From here we want the stock to stay above the $ 15.00/shr mark some time and base out. The volume died off completely here, as we wait for more of the show later today. Did anyone think they were providing earnings or phones sales?

This isn't the venue for that kind of news. I actually like where they are heading, the Q5 phone makes sense as another phone to launch in a couple of months time, it addresses the recent complaint that poor BB is without a phone for those "other" countries. It will now be even more difficult to understand how phone sales are doing with 3 of them in the wild! I wish they could have brought the Q10 to the US sooner but at least it is only 3 weeks away now. We should drop back to test the lows around $ 15.00/shr and trade within a range below the 5-dma for the day. If we gain the 5-dma today that would be a huge win here. A close above $ 15.45/shr sets us up for another rally.

I have to admit, I really like what they are doing with BBM, I can't convince some members of my family to jump to a BlackBerry and give up their iPhone 5(s) but the free BBM video/voice will make it much easier for me to win them over. But I think it goes beyond just the general consumer market, I believe this is still part of the "package" to sell the BlackBerry phone to Enterprise. That's where the money is and I believe Corporations will have a much easier time handing out mass amounts of BB's to their employees with the free BBM feature, of course all of this will be tied up to secure software solutions. I can see the DoD having a much easier time going all in with BlackBerry now.

In all, I liked what I heard, there is much more to come and of course those interviews with the media, this is far from over. Hang in there!
    05-14-13 11:41 AM
    To look at things on the negative.
    No instagram.
    BBM is now cross platform (So loss of people trying to "stick" with BlackBerry phones)
    Still no hard numbers on sales or shipments (which wasn't expected anyways)
    No pricing on new Q5 phone. Worries about it cutting into profit margin.
    Sorry, but I respectfully feel those are pretty weak and short sighted reasons. Thor already said they will not develop hardware and services that run at a loss, so Q5 and its sibling the Z5 will either turn a profit or die. Instagram? really? That is what huge investment firms and pension funds are waiting to hear before they invest in hundreds of millions into BlackBerry? Twitter and Facebook and instagram are all "cross-platform" and somehow they are pretty popular. How does BBM going cross-platform suddenly become a negative. What if twitter was only available on HTC phones? Would it be more or less valuable?

It's true, the day of the investor is long gone.

Edit... sorry, I am not meaning to flame at you. It is just a general, non-tageted rant.
    Last edited by Bugmapper; 05-14-13 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Calming down .....
    05-14-13 11:41 AM
    Guys, watch the BB Jam keynote at 1PM before we say that nothing was announced on the app front.
    Guaranteed there won't be any major apps. Thor already said that Instagram/Netflix (which are the two most wanted apps at this point), will be announced when they have more info. Which means, no, it's not available right now and won't be for the foreseeable future. Look at when they announced Skype and when it got released. February -> May.
    05-14-13 11:42 AM

The GAMBLERS (people that hold for less than a few weeks) on this thread are pissed because the stock price went down, the bet they made is lost and now they are trapped and have to hold or sell for a loss.

The INVESTORS (people that have still held onto their shares since the 7-8's) are thrilled because over the months, you have learned that you were not only buying into a mobile phone hardware company, but also have learned they have invested into the other "hot item" nowadays which is Social Media.

To me, i am thrilled, I can see my shares grow threefold. Corporate Hardware Mobile sales, Consumer Social Media sales, and probably by this time next year, both items will be intergrated into automotive sales.
    All over a secure network that has a big moat around it. That's what investors look for.

No one else has this - no one. That's a huge competitive advantage that they are starting to leverage.

Smart
    05-14-13 11:43 AM
    I believe the announcement of having BBM cross-platform is a huge statement by the Blackberry team that they are fully 100% behind BB10. This announcement shows that they no longer believe BBM is the anchor to sticking with Blackberry for BB users. They are no longer worried about losing users who weren't willing to give up BBM because there was nothing else to stay for.

They have created a great OS that has many intelligent and refined features (I say refined because they have taken things that have been done in the past and made them better) that will now carry the brand forward as well as draw people in to Blackberry.

This has been an emotional roller coaster for all of us. But I really believe that we all just need to take a step back. Down a couple beers and come at this with the confidence we've had for the past several months.
    tygros, W Hoa, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    05-14-13 11:43 AM

Nope. I am both. My stock entries were at 8.50, 10.25, 11.70. My Jan 14 calls were at $2.65 and $3.70. I have no issue with those and they are my long holds.

Now I also play options. I have small quantity of May 18 calls at 13 and 15 strikes, in the green big on the 13s and I got those more than a month ago in the 13/14 dips. The 15s today I'm about even waiting for the recovery from the sell off.

We are PISSED because the sell off is unwarranted and orchestrated by the short sellers. So yes, can lose some money. Sure it's risky, but if the sell off was warranted the outcome is acceptable. These raids are BS and I'm wondering where the 60% institutional money is if they are long.

Icahn could be a crackberry hero. Someone send him a memo.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-14-13 11:46 AM

Doesn't apply to everyone. Some are just tired of making progress, just to see it tank again. This repeats itself over and over and over again. So, some are investors that just get frustrated now and then at the manipulation.
    OMGitworks and Bugmapper like this.
    05-14-13 11:47 AM
    Sorry, but I respectfully feel those are pretty weak and short sighted reasons. Thor already said they will not develop hardware and services that run at a loss, so Q5 and its sibling the Z5 will either turn a profit or die. Instagram? really? That is what huge investment firms and pension funds are waiting to hear before they invest in hundreds of millions into BlackBerry? Twitter and Facebook and instagram are all "cross-platform" and somehow they are pretty popular. How does BBM going cross-platform suddenly become a negative. What if twitter was only available on HTC phones? Would it be more or less valuable?

It's true, the day of the investor is long gone.
    Like I said, I was purely showing the "negative view" of things.

Yes, Q5 will turn a profit, but will it be 40% or 10%. Nokia sells a LOT of phones, but they have a small profit margin so in the end, they are not profitable.
    Yes and no on the Instagram thing. Investment firms don't look for app announcesments as a pure "BUY" or "SELL" signal, but it is an important factor. Some people can't live without Instagram or Netflix, so that will take away from sales of the BB10 phones. We've all heard of the biggest problem with iOS and Android users not wanting a BB. Lack of Apps.
    If Twitter and Facebook were not on BB10, I can guarantee there would be a lot fewer sales of BB10 phones.

That being said. I'm long. So I don't necessarily think it's the end of BB. But it's just some things to consider when investing in a company.
    Bugmapper and La Emperor like this.
    05-14-13 11:49 AM

I own many stocks and have to make judgements on each on how to invest.

Most of my stock ARE long but not Blackberry.

You may but not me.
    05-14-13 11:53 AM
    Like I said, I was purely showing the "negative view" of things.

Yes, Q5 will turn a profit, but will it be 40% or 10%. Nokia sells a LOT of phones, but they have a small profit margin so in the end, they are not profitable.
    Yes and no on the Instagram thing. Investment firms don't look for app announcesments as a pure "BUY" or "SELL" signal, but it is an important factor. Some people can't live without Instagram or Netflix, so that will take away from sales of the BB10 phones. We've all heard of the biggest problem with iOS and Android users not wanting a BB. Lack of Apps.
    If Twitter and Facebook were not on BB10, I can guarantee there would be a lot fewer sales of BB10 phones.

That being said. I'm long. So I don't necessarily think it's the end of BB. But it's just some things to consider when investing in a company.
    Thanks... and see my edit above.
    05-14-13 11:54 AM
    Blackberry Jam General Session stream @ 1PM:

BlackBerry Jam Americas: Webcast
    05-14-13 11:56 AM
113,256 ... 981982983984985 ...