View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    i tried to find the links i wanted, not set up in "make it simple stupid" format, perhaps "they" don't want to make it easy for the markets watch. i may look for it later, too busy swing trading right now. i thought i read he was speaking at 11am on tuesday, maybe it was 1pm, but pretty sure it was 11am. fyi, cnbc just slammed going long on bb, for what it is worth.
    They always do. Par for the course for CNBC
    05-13-13 12:04 PM
    They always do. Par for the course for CNBC
    CNBC�s Ratings Decline is Bullish News for Investors

By Daniel Solin
    May 2, 2013 RSS Feed Print

According to published reports, ratings for CNBC have dropped dramatically. Viewers of its morning business shows are down 10 percent. Big name shows like Squawk Box and Closing Bell have declined for four straight quarters. On April 23, only a pathetic 99,000 viewers watched Squawk Box.

This is good news for investors. The daily gist of CNBC is a steady parade of corporate executives touting the stock of their companies and fund managers who profess to have the ability to outperform the markets. Superimposed on this programming is �analysis� of financial news by self-styled �experts,� who opine on the events of the day.

This mish-mash of �financial information� is misleading to investors. It perpetuates the myth that owning individual stocks is a good idea, that some �expert� can tell you what stock to buy or sell and that you should attempt to select an actively managed mutual fund that will outperform its benchmark. All of this is presented against a backdrop of intense activity on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange and elsewhere, giving viewers a false sense of urgency and implying that minute-by-minute analysis of what�s going on in the markets is critical for investing success.

This noise is akin to the sound of coins dropping into slot machines in Las Vegas, giving gamblers the impression the next big �win� is as close as the press of the button on their machine. The gambling analogy is an apt one. Trying to pick outperforming stocks, time the market and attempt to select the next hot fund manager is a loser�s game. Eugene Fama and Kenneth French, both distinguished and extensively published professors of finance, summarized the issue cogently in their essay, �Why Active Investing is a Negative Sum Game�. Here�s their conclusion: �In short, active investing in any sector is always a zero sum game�before costs. After costs, active investing is a negative sum game.�

The fact that investors are abandoning CNBC in droves indicates this common sense message is getting through. According to the Investment Company Institute, the percent of investors using stock index funds has risen from 6.6 percent in 1997 to 16.4 percent in 2011. More than $1.1 trillion was invested in index funds as of year-end 2011. Almost one-third of all households that owned mutual funds had at least one index fund in their portfolios.

Investors in index funds understand that capital markets work. They seek to capture the returns of those markets. They focus on factors they can control, like fees, costs and taxes. For these investors, the musings of �reporters� on CNBC are nothing more than noise in the channel. Index investors understand that markets are driven by tomorrow�s news, and no one knows what that news will be.

I understand the claim that a financial network couldn�t last long repeating the mantra �buy index funds,� but that argument misses the point. There are many financial subjects that could be presented by CNBC (and others) that are supported by sound, academically-based principles of investing. I gave an example of a show that would really help investors in this sizzle reel.

For too many years, CNBC has provided a disservice to investors by feeding their gambling instincts. It�s comforting to see that the gig is (almost) up.

CNBC
    05-13-13 12:16 PM
    I'll be on a hiatus for the next several weeks. I won't be able to trade the stock, so I'll be holding in the short term (still long no matter what). Looking forward to the higher share price moving forward!
    cjcampbell and bungaboy like this.
    05-13-13 12:22 PM
    CNBC�s Ratings Decline is Bullish News for Investors

By Daniel Solin

According to published reports, ratings for CNBC have dropped dramatically. Viewers of its morning business shows are down 10 percent. Big name shows like Squawk Box and Closing Bell have declined for four straight quarters. On April 23, only a pathetic 99,000 viewers watched Squawk Box.

This is good news for investors. The daily gist of CNBC is a steady parade of corporate executives touting the stock of their companies and fund managers who profess to have the ability to outperform the markets. Superimposed on this programming is �analysis� of financial news by self-styled �experts,� who opine on the events of the day.

This mish-mash of �financial information� is misleading to investors. It perpetuates the myth that owning individual stocks is a good idea, that some �expert� can tell you what stock to buy or sell and that you should attempt to select an actively managed mutual fund that will outperform its benchmark. All of this is presented against a backdrop of intense activity on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange and elsewhere, giving viewers a false sense of urgency and implying that minute-by-minute analysis of what�s going on in the markets is critical for investing success.

This noise is akin to the sound of coins dropping into slot machines in Las Vegas, giving gamblers the impression the next big �win� is as close as the press of the button on their machine. The gambling analogy is an apt one. Trying to pick outperforming stocks, time the market and attempt to select the next hot fund manager is a loser�s game. Eugene Fama and Kenneth French, both distinguished and extensively published professors of finance, summarized the issue cogently in their essay, �Why Active Investing is a Negative Sum Game�. Here�s their conclusion: �In short, active investing in any sector is always a zero sum game�before costs. After costs, active investing is a negative sum game.�

The fact that investors are abandoning CNBC in droves indicates this common sense message is getting through. According to the Investment Company Institute, the percent of investors using stock index funds has risen from 6.6 percent in 1997 to 16.4 percent in 2011. More than $1.1 trillion was invested in index funds as of year-end 2011. Almost one-third of all households that owned mutual funds had at least one index fund in their portfolios.

Investors in index funds understand that capital markets work. They seek to capture the returns of those markets. They focus on factors they can control, like fees, costs and taxes. For these investors, the musings of �reporters� on CNBC are nothing more than noise in the channel. Index investors understand that markets are driven by tomorrow�s news, and no one knows what that news will be.

I understand the claim that a financial network couldn�t last long repeating the mantra �buy index funds,� but that argument misses the point. There are many financial subjects that could be presented by CNBC (and others) that are supported by sound, academically-based principles of investing. I gave an example of a show that would really help investors in this sizzle reel.

For too many years, CNBC has provided a disservice to investors by feeding their gambling instincts. It�s comforting to see that the gig is (almost) up.

CNBC

So does that mean a lot of those buffoons will be out on the street soon?
    05-13-13 12:25 PM
    It’s comes as no surprise that smartphone use is up in Canada – jumping to 63 percent from 54 percent in 2012. Apple leads the market, claiming 31 percent of smartphone owners, followed by Samsung and BlackBerry, each with 22 percent market share. What’s perhaps more surprising is that BlackBerry’s share excludes the recently launched BlackBerry 10.

Who Has The Happiest Wireless Customers In Canada? : Digital Home
    05-13-13 12:25 PM
    edging ever so cautiously upward. And well it should.
    spike12, bungaboy and ItsTheBox like this.
    05-13-13 12:27 PM
    So does that mean a lot of those buffoons will be out on the street soon?
    Pun intended? lol
    spike12 and bungaboy like this.
    05-13-13 12:28 PM
    CNBC’s Ratings Decline is Bullish News for Investors

By Daniel Solin

Eugene Fama and Kenneth French, both distinguished and extensively published professors of finance, summarized the issue cogently in their essay, “Why Active Investing is a Negative Sum Game”. Here’s their conclusion: “In short, active investing in any sector is always a zero sum game—before costs. After costs, active investing is a negative sum game.”

CNBC
    Fantastic article!!! Thanks for finding this one, I hate CNBC and their loser "experts". They hurt a ton of good plays with their nonsense. I also challenged Engene Fama's "EMH - Efficient Market Hypothesis" along with Joseph Stiglitz (Sometimes referred to as Efficient Market Theory"). I appreciate their contribution to investing and understanding of the market.

Great article!!!
    05-13-13 12:29 PM
    It’s comes as no surprise that smartphone use is up in Canada – jumping to 63 percent from 54 percent in 2012. Apple leads the market, claiming 31 percent of smartphone owners, followed by Samsung and BlackBerry, each with 22 percent market share. What’s perhaps more surprising is that BlackBerry’s share excludes the recently launched BlackBerry 10.

Who Has The Happiest Wireless Customers In Canada? : Digital Home
    Giddy up!!!
    05-13-13 12:32 PM
    Giddy up!!!
    I'm curious as to the numbers since BB10 has been available.
    05-13-13 12:35 PM
    Jesus Morgan!!!..... up to $15.90 and the trend has changed. You called it to a T. It's almost like you know what you're doing over there...
    05-13-13 12:37 PM
    Let's see if we can defend and hold around $15.75. It is 10:30 or so.....
    Let's see if we can do the same at the end of the session....
    05-13-13 12:40 PM
    What is Misek talking about here with respect to a common kernel??

Turning to BlackBerry, Misek, who has a Buy rating on the shares and a $22 price target, and who is in Orlando, Florida this week for the company’s BlackBerry Live user conference, was asked by Chang if he had given up on the company’s ability to get developers to write for its BB10 operating system:

No, not at all. Interestingly enough, there will be thousands of developers here in Orland, and we look forward to talking with all of them. What we’re hearing and seeing, is, if you’re developing for Google Play [Google's (GOOG) application store for Android], porting to BB10 is ridiculously easy. Android and BB10 share a common kernel. That allows software programs to move across from the two stores easily. So while we don’t hear of a lot about native development, we do hear about a lot of porting of apps. And even though people say you can’t get Netflix (NFLX) on BB10, we’ve actually seen Netflix running on BB10. All of the Google top 100 apps are running on Android.
    bungaboy and Tech Consultant like this.
    05-13-13 12:47 PM
    http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/05/res...t-watch-event/
    Stuff we already know, but nice to see the buzz nonetheless.
    http://www.streetinsider.com/Analyst...3/8331142.html

Shares of BlackBerry closed at $15.54 last Friday, with a 52 week range of $12.55 - $17.22.BlackBerry (Nasdaq: BBRY) is up Monday following positive commentary out of RBC following its latest Q10 checks.

RBC said that sell-through of the Q10 in the U.K. and Canada remains "healthy though subsiding," versus the introductory rush by consumers two-weeks ago. Analyst Mark Sue commented that refreshing its depleted channel inventory should help shipments numbers over the next few weeks.

At its BlackBerry Live 2013 event, scheduled for May 14th to 16th in Orlando, Florida, Sue sees the company bearing the message of a "positive turnaround." He also expects an update on BES10, new BB10 features, and pricing of value-added services.

Sue does not expect a new BlackBerry BB10-based device until fall 2013.

RBC rates BlackBerry at Sector Perform.

Short interest on BlackBerry fell about 0.2 percent from the middle through end of April to 164.69 million shares, or 33.3 percent of float. The stock is up 2 percent today.
    For an analyst ratings summary and ratings history on BlackBerry click here. For more ratings news on BlackBerry click here.

Shares of BlackBerry closed at $15.54 last Friday, with a 52 week range of $12.55 - $17.22.
    jmehta22, bungaboy and zyben like this.
    The climb has restarted...
    Fantastic article!!! Thanks for finding this one, I hate CNBC and their loser "experts". They hurt a ton of good plays with their nonsense. I also challenged Engene Fama's "EMH - Efficient Market Hypothesis" along with Joseph Stiglitz (Sometimes referred to as Efficient Market Theory"). I appreciate their contribution to investing and understanding of the market.

Great article!!!
    They have a few decent reporters, but most are more entertainment than anything else. Some of you folks may remember Mark Haines, he passed away a few years ago unexpectedly, but he was a GREAT host on CNBC. He called it as he saw it and called BS when guests or analysts were grandstanding. He held everybody's feet to the fire. He was great to watch and didn't let anyone get away with anything. He was there for 9/11 and the credit crash and was stellar. Since he passed, it has been all downhill at CNBC.
    morganplus8, psy fi, zyben and 1 others like this.
    05-13-13 12:50 PM
    See Bell and RBC inked a mobile payment deal...CB post
    bungaboy and zyben like this.
    05-13-13 12:51 PM
    What is Misek talking about here with respect to a common kernel??

Turning to BlackBerry, Misek, who has a Buy rating on the shares and a $22 price target, and who is in Orlando, Florida this week for the company’s BlackBerry Live user conference, was asked by Chang if he had given up on the company’s ability to get developers to write for its BB10 operating system:

No, not at all. Interestingly enough, there will be thousands of developers here in Orland, and we look forward to talking with all of them. What we’re hearing and seeing, is, if you’re developing for Google Play [Google's (GOOG) application store for Android], porting to BB10 is ridiculously easy. Android and BB10 share a common kernel. That allows software programs to move across from the two stores easily. So while we don’t hear of a lot about native development, we do hear about a lot of porting of apps. And even though people say you can’t get Netflix (NFLX) on BB10, we’ve actually seen Netflix running on BB10. All of the Google top 100 apps are running on Android.

Well, I assume he is referring to the Linux kernel that powers both OSes. Both QNX and Android are based on the same OS: Linux.

Now, of course, they are just *based* on the same thing, they are not the same thing. As far as I know there are some libraries that are platform-restricted( think you can't get the bezel gestures from BB10 on Android) and that aren't cross-compatible. I might be wrong, I am not that familiar with these platforms.

Analogy: Both Linux and OSX are based on the same OS, but just some of the programs run on both.
    matthewriedle and take99 like this.
    05-13-13 12:52 PM
    05-13-13 12:54 PM
    Jesus Morgan!!!..... up to $15.90 and the trend has changed. You called it to a T. It's almost like you know what you're doing over there...
    Ha! Don't jinx my work man! LOL

Not bad, I even got a fill on my second order just below $ 15.80/shr! I laughed when I saw that because I felt I was being too cheap here. But the good news is that large battle that is about to happen at $ 16.02/shr. I'm seeing some big blocks pop into the picture at that price, and they are all Level II sales. If the stock can get above this resistance, we are definitely going to $ 16.59/shr, if the news is good tomorrow, that number will fall quickly. Looking good so far, let's get above the $ 16.02/shr mark and hold it. GL
    05-13-13 12:58 PM
    Well, I assume he is referring to the Linux kernel that powers both OSes. Both QNX and Android are based on the same OS: Linux.

Now, of course, they are just *based* on the same thing, they are not the same thing. As far as I know there are some libraries that are platform-restricted( think you can't get the bezel gestures from BB10 on Android) and that aren't cross-compatible. I might be wrong, I am not that familiar with these platforms.

Analogy: Both Linux and OSX are based on the same OS, but just some of the programs run on both.
    I beleive that Misek is talking about the BlackBerry Runtime for Android Java, and not the underlying OS Kernel(QNX vs LINUX)
    Last edited by AngryEdmontonian; 05-13-13 at 01:36 PM.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    05-13-13 01:02 PM

Not bad, I even got a fill on my second order just below $ 15.80/shr! I laughed when I saw that because I felt I was being too cheap here. But the good news is that large battle that is about to happen at $ 16.02/shr. I'm seeing some big blocks pop into the picture at that price, and they are all Level II sales. If the stock can get above this resistance, we are definitely going to $ 16.59/shr, if the news is good tomorrow, that number will fall quickly. Looking good so far, let's get above the $ 16.02/shr mark and hold it. GL
    haha... the last thing I want to do is jinx you man. I liken my reaction to Wayne and Garth on their knees, bowing, and saying "we're not worthy.... we're not worthy" lol.

I do have a question.... you've mentioned "level 2 twice now today. Could you explain?
    morganplus8 likes this.
    05-13-13 01:05 PM
    Jesus Morgan!...
    What? Morgan is Jesus?
    We call him a Prophet, but didn't realize.... LOL
    05-13-13 01:08 PM

Hmm - curious - typo or intentional? You said" if the news is good tomorrow, that number will fall, quickly" - but this isn'ta case of buy teh rumor, sell the news - right? There hasn't been any rumors to buy into that justify us being BELOW the last speaking engagement TH had to intro BB10 Jan 31st - no?

EDIT: Or perhaps, the emphasis wasn't on the falling as in the SP, but rather overcoming that $$ - thus aka it "falling by the waste-side"?
    05-13-13 01:09 PM
113,250 ... 957958959960961 ...