View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Quick question for the Canadians on the forum. hopefully this isn't too offtopic but I was just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this questions regarding TFSA's. If I have a 2 TFSA accounts (1 mutual fund and one through my brokerage) and I wanted to transfer funds from one to the other. Does transferring those funds count as pulling the money "out of the account" therefore limiting my contribution limit for the year?

EDIT: If it makes a difference I would be transferring from Mutual funds to brokerage
    Gohan?
    gohan_bcc likes this.
    05-09-13 11:45 AM
    Quick question for the Canadians on the forum. hopefully this isn't too offtopic but I was just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this questions regarding TFSA's. If I have a 2 TFSA accounts (1 mutual fund and one through my brokerage) and I wanted to transfer funds from one to the other. Does transferring those funds count as pulling the money "out of the account" therefore limiting my contribution limit for the year?

EDIT: If it makes a difference I would be transferring from Mutual funds to brokerage
    As far as to my knowledge, transferring is not an issue. As long as the money is not physically being pulled out of the TSFA. You may incur a transfer fee (if it is different firms). I recently switched my banks to consolidate my TSFA and had no issues transferring from both accounts to the one.

Hopefully that helps!

Also, I'd try to keep it to one account anyways as the CRA audited me the second I split it into two accounts hah.
    Bugmapper, bungaboy and difabs like this.
    05-09-13 11:45 AM
    Gohan?
    You know me too well haha
    AngryEdmontonian likes this.
    05-09-13 11:46 AM

It depends on how you transfer them. It CAN count towards your contribution or not.

Things to know about a TFSA

Best to ask your broker. I am with questrade and I know if they personally transferred my TSFA from PC Financial it would not have counted. However (because they were slow and not fulfilling my request) I transfered my TSFA in my PC Financial account to my TSFA Questrade account myself. This method counts towards my contribution.
    bungaboy and difabs like this.
    05-09-13 11:52 AM
    It depends on how you transfer them. It CAN count towards your contribution or not.

Things to know about a TFSA

Best to ask your broker. I am with questrade and I know if they personally transferred my TSFA from PC Financial it would not have counted. However (because they were slow and not fulfilling my request) I transfered my TSFA in my PC Financial account to my TSFA Questrade account myself. This method counts towards my contribution.
    You are 100% correct. Do not do it manually, let the bank handle it so you are stress free.
    Shanerredflag, bungaboy and difabs like this.
    05-09-13 11:53 AM
    who ever is holding TSLA today must be laughing
    and GMCR
    05-09-13 11:55 AM
    Hey, LONGS on BB, thanks for letting me short your shares, again, great morning so far in the markets, all good,
    Back in cash, 2x shorting BB, 1x long HOD, +2.71% roi so far today.
    Pump 'er up BBoys, BB is going to get crushed as we come to the close today, markets are set up nicely for a bloodbath, ditto on the EU$, this does not even factor in the bs channel checks that Heinzboy and cronies are yapping about. Show me some real numbers, until then, short is the trade. Day traders rule. All the best, everyone.
    Cheers, BB_T
    Now you are behaving like a spoiled schoolboy. Be gone if you can't post like a mature adult.

Thanks.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    05-09-13 11:56 AM
    Jumped to $15.48
    05-09-13 12:00 PM
    Sooo, not to do a thesis on the topic but...holy frick do I hope Icahn gets into this stock!!! It would be perfect for him, squish the shorts, run the stock up over 100.00, make a couple billion bucks while laughing how easy it was...one has to think he's looking at it...no?
    bungaboy, matthewriedle and CDM76 like this.
    05-09-13 12:01 PM
    Is it normal for BBRY to do its keynote so early in the morning? I guess it is to just to start things off with a bang. I wonder how the market will react to the keynote. It won't have a ton of time to process any announcements.
    05-09-13 12:03 PM
    Thanks Gohan, Kid, and Angryedmontonian for the quick replies. Sounds like the best thing to do is going to be to get my bank to handle the transfer. Luckily for me all of the accounts exist at the same bank so hopefully the transfer won't be too difficult.

Gohan, if I started with 2 TFSA accounts to begin with do you still think its ideal for me to come down to one? I have the fortunate situation right now where I can just keep piling money into my TFSA accounts because I only opened them for the first time this year. benifits to having just finished school a little while ago.
    Oh, I forgot to tell you I sold this morning at $69.90 so i didn't hit it perfect but it held there long enough for me to push the sell button. I made $5,359.50 but the trade cost $8.00 and I put $500 aside for my future Q10. I'm keeping the money in my brokerage account until TSLA dips again, and it will. Not bad really for only having 150 shares in there. Can't wait for this to happen with BBRY
    I am really really happy for you. Well done.
    05-09-13 12:04 PM
    Thanks Gohan, Kid, and Angryedmontonian for the quick replies. Sounds like the best thing to do is going to be to get my bank to handle the transfer. Luckily for me all of the accounts exist at the same bank so hopefully the transfer won't be too difficult.

Gohan, if I started with 2 TFSA accounts to begin with do you still think its ideal for me to come down to one? I have the fortunate situation right now where I can just keep piling money into my TFSA accounts because I only opened them for the first time this year. benifits to having just finished school a little while ago.
    My personal advice would be you have no need for a mutual fund TSFA simply because as you mentioned you just graduated. The TSFA at 22-24 (Assuming an age), would be a great chance (if you have risk tolerance) to take great advantage of Tax Free gains. There is small benefit to tax free mutual fund gains when you can hit it big with strong capitals gains.

Just my opinion, but it all depends on your risk tolerance!
    bungaboy and difabs like this.
    05-09-13 12:06 PM
    Seeing on twitter 5m shorts lower?
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-09-13 12:11 PM
    My personal advice would be you have no need for a mutual fund TSFA simply because as you mentioned you just graduated. The TSFA at 22-24 (Assuming an age), would be a great chance (if you have risk tolerance) to take great advantage of Tax Free gains. There is small benefit to tax free mutual fund gains when you can hit it big with strong capitals gains.

Just my opinion, but it all depends on your risk tolerance!
    Thanks for the information - I have a couple more questions for you but i'll PM you as to not take too much away from the BBRY.
    gohan_bcc likes this.
    05-09-13 12:13 PM
    Just seems appropriate...mid day get your jive on tune:

spike12 and bungaboy like this.
    05-09-13 12:13 PM
    Seeing on twitter 5m shorts lower?
    How can they know if the numbers don't get released until the end of day?
    05-09-13 12:14 PM
    Hello Son,
    Just another friendly reminder today. 1. Play nice with the other kids. 2. Don't forget to again to wipe your nose today at school. 3. Don't worry, I will change your dirty diaper for you after you cover your BBRY short. 4. and bring home some milk for your dear mom.
    05-09-13 12:16 PM
    Hello Son,
    Just another friendly reminder today. 1. Play nice with the other kids. 2. Don't forget to again to wipe your nose today at school. 3. Don't worry, I will change your dirty diaper for you after you cover your BBRY short. 4. and bring home some milk for your dear mom.
    LOL...Mrs. Jones?

bungaboy likes this.
    05-09-13 12:19 PM
    Here is the same chart that I gave you this morning:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-may-9a-2013-chart.jpg

It appears as though my hunch that the green uptrend line, inside the pennant is correct, we dropped back to it and went onto make new highs here. We are floating out in the middle of a bullish setup here. There is huge resistance where the blue pennant line slopes down and that short term green line come together. The red line represents HUGE resistance at $ 15.60/shr. Forget about the 5-dma which is rising now and currently at $ 15.28/shr, focus on $ 15.60/shr for a formal breakout of this pennant. If we close above this price, confirm it tomorrow, we will be going much higher in the short term.

I hope I answered a question about our range earlier today?
    05-09-13 12:20 PM
    Guys if this rumor is in fact true this stock is going to explode higher. None of the big hedge funds will go against Icahn. Look at the past companies where he as taken a stake, also he has a track record of increasing his holdings. And if earnings in June beat you will see a short squeeze that will go down in the record books.
    Dont forget that BB Live is next week so there will more information that could lead the share price higher as new revenue streams, products, partners are announced.

The closer we get to the 52-week higher the more shorts will cover.
    05-09-13 12:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    $15.52
    Shanerredflag and tygros like this.
    05-09-13 12:26 PM
    BlackBerry (BBRY) Ramps on IBM (IBM) Takeover Talk, Enthusiasm for BlackBerry Live

Shares of BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY) are higher Thursday, in part on speculation that IBM (NYSE: IBM) could acquire the company.

Today's speculation was spurred by comments from Scotia Capital analyst Gus Papageorgiou, who reiterated his Outperform rating and C$22.35 price target ahead of the company's annual BlackBerry Live event next week (May 14-16).

The analyst said BES 10.1 will usher in mobile computing and could add $0.75 in EPS annually. "BlackBerry's updated server will allow iOS and Android devices to access corporate servers without the need for VPN. This makes BlackBerry's cross-platform solution very compelling and could help it gain market share in the mobile device management space" he said.

Papageorgiou also said watch for BBM to go cross-platform. "Because non-BlackBerry devices will be able to access BlackBerry's infrastructure, we believe the groundwork has been laid out to port BBM to other platforms," the analyst explains. "BBM could be used as incentive for enterprises to support BlackBerry Secure Work Space over competing solutions.

Also, given the recent confusion in the market, BlackBerry may give an update on BB10 volumes. Papageorgiou believes the Q10 is selling very well in the UK and Canada with stock outs at many locations. He estimates the company will sell approximately 3.6 million BB10 devices in FQ1.

On a possible IBM takeover, Papageorgiou said, "Even if we are wrong in our estimates and BlackBerry is unable to execute on the promise of BB10 we believe a strategic partner such as IBM is highly likely to acquire the company."

Investors should continue to accumulate the share, he said. "We believe the Street's estimates for both hardware and services are too low. With the Q10 selling out and BES 10.1 providing cross-platform BlackBerry services, we believe BlackBerry is well-positioned to beat the Street."
    05-09-13 12:27 PM
    Adda boy Gus!

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 12:29 PM
113,256 ... 918919920921922 ...