1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Nice article here on DoD

Apple beats Android in the DoD, but Blackberry still rules
    Posted on May 8, 2013 - 14:51 by Rob Enderle
    Most people likely believe that iOS, Android and Blackberry are all on equal footing when it comes to security - with the same chance of winning device clearance at the DoD.

The reality? From the DoD's perspective there is only one Android handset the Pentagon is actually interested in, and that is the one of the Samsung phones.

But remember, in the murky corridors of the DoD, Blackberry still rules.

Key Numbers

I recently contacted the DoD, which confirmed that the department has a total of 8,700 Android phones in test and deployment. This is actually rather impressive, as most tests of this nature have difficulty going above three digits, let along four.

Interestingly, the Department of Defense seems to be focused on the Knox lineup of phones from Samsung. This isn't exactly surprising, as Samsung currently dominates the Android handset market, and perhaps the vendor most focused on the security aspect of such devices.

However when you find out that the Pentagon also has a whopping 41,000 iPhones in trial, you can't help but get the sense that Android really isn’t that much of a big deal for the government. Indeed, it appears as if they prefer Apple’s device over Samsung’s at nearly a 5x rate.

This fact is a particularly strong testament to Cupertino's efforts to create a far more secure ecosystem and highly consistent user experience. Think about it - without a security focus like Samsung’s Knox, Apple still kicked Samsung all over the DoD mobile device playground.

Then we get to Blackberry and suddenly both Apple and Samsung seem insignificant. Indeed, Blackberry boasts a total 470,000 products in deployment and test. This clearly suggests the DoD prefers this platform at a shocking 10x rate over the iPhone. Simply put, Blackberry offers up a clear business focus. In an era where everyone is watching government closely, the risk of someone calling an organization to task for a device that is seen as a consumer, luxury product is certainly a risk to be concerned about.

In addition, Blackberry was designed with security at its core, an approach that is far more pervasive than Apple’s and isn’t an overlay like Samsung’s. Frankly, I’m actually surprised the DoD is even considering Android - especially given how easily the OS is compromised by something like a rooted key logger which, yes, would likely compromise even Knox.

Speed

Another advantage fielded by Blackberry is speed. Indeed, I recently reviewed a Blackberry 10 deployment by a Canadian Security firm. Initially, I assumed it would list security as a primary reason for choosing the platform over iOS and Android. However, this wasn’t the case, as it was selected based on sheer speed.

Meaning, the messages just got to the phones faster. We are also talking physical home security so when someone has a break in, seconds do matter. Given how quickly things can get out of hand, especially if you have a military problem, seconds could make the difference whether an attack by a hostile entity is successful or successfully mitigated.
    So yes, speed could make the difference between whether an individual reads about a failed attempt or having folks talking about the event at a funeral. So yes, I hope speed matters to the DoD as much as it did to the security firm, and I tend to imagine that it does.

Wrapping Up: Will Blackberry Return?

It is clear to me that in a number of non-consumer segments, Blackberry boasts a significant advantage when it comes to security, speed and a viable physical keyboard option. However, we still have a problem with changing opinions. To be sure, both Apple and IBM struggled during their respective turnaround efforts, with both taking nearly 5 years to convince the market they could be trusted again. In hindsight, the industry heavyweights had internally crossed this performance line years earlier.

So while I think Blackberry is demonstrating it can be successful, I wonder how long it will take for us to see them as a winning company once again. Perception is critical in terms of winning the sales and app support the corporation will need if it intends to contend for the lead once again.
    05-08-13 02:31 PM
    Up we go

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell likes this.
    05-08-13 02:51 PM
    My wife would kill me! We are low profile people and the only way I will do that is if we purchase another home in the southern states. In my other life down South, I would have a few toys around the house but not in front of our families. I do want one though, maybe ............ no!
    How about a Lotus? My wife is ok with me getting a Lotus Evora convertible (when it becomes available). Some people think that I am showy, but I just really like to drive these cars.
    Really sorry to hear about your need for surgery buddy - take care.
    05-08-13 02:51 PM
    Not much movement today, but I'll take that over dropping like a tank anyday. Plus, it lets
    me get a wee bit more work done around the house and more time with the kids.

Now that we've all discussed life and the meaning of, let's all get in a circle and sing "Kum Ba Yah" lol
    I'll admit that I my roots are from a place of poverty, but have been blessed beyond what I deserve.
    This all keeps me humble and giving back. I stumbled upon this BB investment quite by accident and
    yet again stumbled on this forum from that same token. EVERYTHING happens for a reason.
    So let's not ever lose this thread ok!! lol Damn, I love investing and everything about it!! It's a great passion in life. No?
    zyben, Bugmapper, tygros and 7 others like this.
    05-08-13 02:54 PM
    Well.... seems we held green.... ever so slightly.
    Bugmapper, Shanerredflag and lcjr like this.
    05-08-13 03:01 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-meme9087574322-1-.jpg

05-08-13 03:22 PM
    I have come to terms with not expecting any miracles any time soon.

BlackBerry live may be a catalyst, but it depends on what they have to show.

On the subject of investment I am one of the people who is 100% in on this. Every person will have their own set of circumstances that dictates their investment strategy.

I am young with no commitments with a steady job that more than covers my monthly expenses. I can shove all my savings in here, literally lose it all and not even care.

On a more philosophical note, it is very rarely the destination, but the ride along the way that makes life interesting. I came from a background where I could have had everything handed too me, but I insisted on working from the ground up. I think i am a better, more rounded person for it.

I agree with gohan about society these days. Most of the people my age here are literally living on parental hand outs. I just could never do that, it's embarrassing.

Back to investing: I know some people in the financial industry who have started to come on board after doing their own research. The tide is starting to change. If BlackBerry can show a solid quarter in June it will be the beginning of the end for the shorts in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 03:26 PM
    Agree...imo we really need services to monetise their NOC. I think it's coming as TH has mentioned more than once they have this world wide secure asset.

This (imo) will be the key turning point to this stock.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 03:34 PM
    Yeah, you can hear by the language he uses in interviews what direction they are heading.

I personally buy into the idea as an investment thesis. My only concern would be whether the competition will be able to do it quicker and better than them.

Otherwise should be a home run!

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag and rarsen like this.
    05-08-13 03:39 PM
    Big Congrats to icjr on TSLA hope you held buddy.
    05-08-13 03:42 PM
    Wow... I just had a look. I think lc just might be opening some of that booze he hoards tonight.
    05-08-13 03:51 PM
    hahahaha. I just came back from a boring meeting and read this. I thought I had won an actual tesla or something! lol Yes, I still have all my shares and will see what tomorrow brings after opening hours. Not sure if I want to stay where I'm at or sell and wait for the dip.
    Last edited by lcjr; 05-08-13 at 04:11 PM.
    05-08-13 04:01 PM
    Wow... I just had a look. I think lc just might be opening some of that booze he hoards tonight.
    Lol, I am a horder aren't I. lol I will definately crack a few beers open tonight! Anyone here is welcome to join me in spirit or fly to this god forsaken desert I'm trapped in. hahaha.
    05-08-13 04:02 PM
    Nice read from Chris Umi...

On estimated sales: "Bluefin put out a report yesterday that essentially tells their clients that BlackBerry is set to deliver more than 20 million BlackBerry 10 devices this fiscal year, and that would be significantly higher than most analyst estimates."

Of the bogus claims that Z10 production was cut... (these "analysts" conveniently left out the fact that it simply meant production has shifted to Q10):
    "Q10 production has now shifted to a 3:1 ratio of Z10 production levels, which they say is up from a prior production ratio of 1.5:1 This means BlackBerry underestimated demand for the Q10, and now makes three times as many Q10 devices as Z10"

Latest report from Bluefin supports a bullish stance on BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

Edit: sorry if already posted!
    Last edited by m0de25; 05-08-13 at 04:44 PM.
    05-08-13 04:11 PM
    Man this has got to be a record for troll free days, we need to have a counter or ticker or something on this thread for that. Thought we might hear from LuckyJP yesterday no? He/she did say we were going to here from him/her no matter what..... and isn't ray still grumpy?
    05-08-13 04:24 PM
    Holy cow, I just did the math! I just made $4,809 today (if I sell) from that TSLA spike. It's still going up at $66.20.

"Tesla Surges as Delivery Guidance Increases" Tesla Surges as Delivery Guidance Increases - TheStreet
    05-08-13 04:33 PM
    Holy cow, I just did the math! I just made $4,809 today (if I sell) from that TSLA spike. It's still going up at $66.20.

"Tesla Surges as Delivery Guidance Increases" Tesla Surges as Delivery Guidance Increases - TheStreet
    Now you can get yourself a Q10. Lol

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 04:36 PM

Nice! I was thinking about jumping in the other day. Shame I stuck with BBRY and the bad news bears.

Posted via CB10
    lcjr and Scott Lefebvre like this.
    05-08-13 04:44 PM

Haha! Got to love days like that my friend!
    lcjr likes this.
    05-08-13 04:49 PM
    wow tsla up 24 points in ah now at 69.23, short squeeze!
    lcjr likes this.
    05-08-13 05:00 PM
    Now you can get yourself a Q10. Lol

Posted via CB10
    I will definately put $600 aside for my Q10! It will be a while I'm sure before it's available here but now I'm all set. This is like the lotto to me! lol
    05-08-13 05:08 PM
    Haha! Got to love days like that my friend!
    Now I see how you all get hooked on investing. I'll sell in the morning and wait for another opportunity (dip). I'm tempted to transfer the winnings to BBRY, but I'll keep it in TSLA so I have more than one stock. Wish you guys were closer, I'd buy the rounds tonight!
    05-08-13 05:11 PM
    Now I see how you all get hooked on investing. I'll sell in the morning and wait for another opportunity (dip). I'm tempted to transfer the winnings to BBRY, but I'll keep it in TSLA so I have more than one stock. Wish you guys were closer, I'd buy the rounds tonight!
    Smart Man - here's $70. Wow. I'd have sold AH after the initial run up - missed out on a bunch more
    I;'m out in Dallas, so El Paso is close, but still too far to drive in < a day
    Tech Consultant and lcjr like this.
    05-08-13 05:17 PM
    I'm seriously happy for you! I had a fleeting moment this morning when I thought I should put some money in TSLA before I bought more BBRY but didn't do it as I haven't done a lot of research on that company. Oh well, may our own short squeeze look like this sooner than later!
    Bugmapper, lcjr and doctor gonzo like this.
    05-08-13 05:18 PM
    Don't even talk about TSLA...it's making me tear lol.

I'm going to join the club and buy in soon. Even though it has a crazy run up, this is only after a quarter of profits. Who knows where the company goes from here.
    lcjr and Shanerredflag like this.
    05-08-13 05:20 PM
113,256 ... 907908909910911 ...