View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I am glad I am just poor and do not know nay better.

Only pet peeve of mine is someone telling another how to spend their money.

Other than that, each to his own. A Ferrari is nice but hard to get in and out of as I get older. As an old white man, I prefer the SUV.
    That is very true, again I reiterate I do not mean to tell people "how" to spend their money but more so to be open to other things that may be wise. But at the end of the day what one chooses to do is their own.

Also, an argument could be made as to what type of health issues you have at that age. I find it easier to get into the Ferrari vs an SUV because I have back issues that make it easier to sit then stretch up to get into an SUV hah.
    05-08-13 11:29 AM
    We're good man. I have no problem either with people disclosing their position - or disclosing their successes and failures. If you a person actually owns something (not the bank or on margin) and you a person actually earned it... then good on you that person. I am straight up jealous and that is 100% honest. My comment was directed solely at M+8 and his professional / respectful manner, not at anyone else.
    Oh i completely didn't intend to make it out to seem like "I" was being addressed by your post. Was wanted to clarify it out from my perspective. But yeah no harm no foul!
    bungaboy and Bugmapper like this.
    05-08-13 11:30 AM
    I am glad I am just poor and do not know nay better.

Only pet peeve of mine is someone telling another how to spend their money.

Other than that, each to his own. A Ferrari is nice but hard to get in and out of as I get older. As an old white man, I prefer the SUV.
    If you are poor than I am in deep trouble! lol I'm lucky to have hamburger in my hamburger-helper meal. lol I can identify with getting in and out of low-riders. I prefer my truck but wouldn't mind another muscle-car to hot rod in every one and awhile.
    Bugmapper likes this.
    05-08-13 11:33 AM
    I think a Tesla would be in order! lol
    Maybe after the $100/share party lol. I would love to own one in the future, if the infrastructure was in place to support EVs and had the money.
    lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    05-08-13 11:36 AM
    I'm going to break tradition and chime in on this. No disrespect to either Bugmapper or Morganplus8 but as someone who could fall under both ur comments I'm going to respectfully disagree slightly on a couple statements here.

@Maroganplus8 - While wealth is relative to "wants and needs", if one is financially sound above and beyond a necessary amount and chooses to spend it I see nothing wrong with that. At the end of the day it depends at what point everyone is in their life. If someone becomes financially successful at a younger age there is a lot more uses then when someone becomes wealthy much later in life. I don't have a house as anyone in Calgary knows traffic during rush hour into downtown is ridiculous and for the time being being close via a condo is good. If you are living in the slums, sure a Ferrari can be a beacon and concern for safety. However, in Calgary there is far less danger in own luxury items (unless you are a drug dealer). Also, owning an expensive car doesn't even have to be in a manner of "bragging". Every little kid has at some point dreamed of having a sports car or a monster truck or something like that. I chose to buy a Ferrari because I was that kid who saw them drive by with my mouth dropping to the floor thinking I want to drive one of those. I chose to buy a Ferrari because it is a fantastic piece of art and an amazing drive. I didn't buy it because I want everyone to stare in with envy, quite honestly I give people only encouraging words when they ask me how I got buy one. As I've mentioned before in this thread, people like "The Kid" who invest solely in BBRY is perfectly fine and normal. Actually I commend taking large risk at a young age vs a later age because it gives you time to learn from mistakes. But, as someone who has to deal with people losing their life savings by choosing to throw it all in one basket at mid age and become homeless or close to, well that is why I chime in to encourage others to look outside the BBRY bubble. Again it all depends on risk tolerance, and where one stands in life. Easy to make up 50k in losses at 25 then 50k in losses at 55. I also agree taht investing is the best job in the world, it is one of the only jobs that changes every day.

Again no disrespect to either, just sharing the opinion of someone who could be considered the "negative" of both your comments. Always nice to see both sides. People seem to have the idea that showing what you have is always a way of bragging and owning expensive things is only to flaunt. A lot of people buy expensive things out of enjoyment for their own purposes vs to become superior to others. However, it is the rich people who flaunt and brag and give their sixteen year old kids ferraris and bmws for their birthdays that ruin it for the rest of us.

Back to the main reason I'm here. If anyone lives in Toronto I might be making a stop in next week to look at a new car, figured I'd take a few people out for a spin if anyone is interested. Not 100% sure yet as it depends on workload. However, PM if you would be interested.
    gohan_bcc!

I want you to know that my comments are strictly my own opinion and they have no bearing on you personally. I find that as I get older, I care more about how others perceive myself and our family. Outside of my wife, no one knows the extent of what we have, aside from our house and cottage, vehicles and the like, it is impossible to know where we are financially. My life wasn't always like this, I owned a Jaguar XKE 1966-1/2 convertible and a Morgan when I went to University. I stood out there. The professors would look out the window when I would drive in/out of the parking lot and I would get plenty of comments in class. I got those cars from working my **** off, restoring them myself and having them ready for University, my parents gave me nothing and I liked it that way.

Today, I find that I don't like all of the attention that I get with Mercedes, Corvettes, BMWs and various cars that I've owned. I can hide in a Mercedes and blend in, but that Ferrari of yours is too cool to be true but it flags me out too much. As mentioned, none of our relatives know what we are up to financially speaking, they know I retired very early in life but they also know I sold a business too. Don't get me wrong, I want that Ferrari and I can afford it, I'm just not ready for all of the comments that will go with that purchase. I buy lakefront property every year, they don't make it any more and no one connects the dots and figures out what that could be worth!

You are so right, most of the want-to-be rich carry debt with their wealth, I'm long beyond that game. I don't want to see my investments go to zero and have to work again so I'll lay low until we retire in California or something like that! Be sure to let others know how you became successful, we are so lucky to live in a country where hard work pays off. GL
    05-08-13 11:36 AM
    Webroker still down! TD get your **** together!
    05-08-13 11:39 AM
    You're buying a Ferrari right?
    My wife would kill me! We are low profile people and the only way I will do that is if we purchase another home in the southern states. In my other life down South, I would have a few toys around the house but not in front of our families. I do want one though, maybe ............ no!
    lcjr, Bugmapper, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    05-08-13 11:39 AM
    That is very true, again I reiterate I do not mean to tell people "how" to spend their money but more so to be open to other things that may be wise. But at the end of the day what one chooses to do is their own.

Also, an argument could be made as to what type of health issues you have at that age. I find it easier to get into the Ferrari vs an SUV because I have back issues that make it easier to sit then stretch up to get into an SUV hah.
    You can have your cake and eat it too!

My SUV drops near 5 inches when the ignition is turned off. It does weigh 6000lbs but still gets 17-19 mpg if you are going downhill.
    lcjr likes this.
    05-08-13 11:40 AM

That's what I'm going to tell my wife tonight!! Ha!
    05-08-13 11:42 AM
    Funny, I was considering about switching from CIBC to TD today, but after TD being down today and I think it was down not too long ago, I'll stick with CIBC.
    05-08-13 11:44 AM
    gohan_bcc!

I want you to know that my comments are strictly my own opinion and they have no bearing on you personally. I find that as I get older, I care more about how others perceive myself and our family. Outside of my wife, no one knows the extent of what we have, aside from our house and cottage, vehicles and the like, it is impossible to know where we are financially. My life wasn't always like this, I owned a Jaguar XKE 1966-1/2 convertible and a Morgan when I went to University. I stood out there. The professors would look out the window when I would drive in/out of the parking lot and I would get plenty of comments in class. I got those cars from working my **** off, restoring them myself and having them ready for University, my parents gave me nothing and I liked it that way.

Today, I find that I don't like all of the attention that I get with Mercedes, Corvettes, BMWs and various cars that I've owned. I can hide in a Mercedes and blend in, but that Ferrari of yours is too cool to be true but it flags me out too much. As mentioned, none of our relatives know what we are up to financially speaking, they know I retired very early in life but they also know I sold a business too. Don't get me wrong, I want that Ferrari and I can afford it, I'm just not ready for all of the comments that will go with that purchase. I buy lakefront property every year, they don't make it any more and no one connects the dots and figures out what that could be worth!

You are so right, most of the want-to-be rich carry debt with their wealth, I'm long beyond that game. I don't want to see my investments go to zero and have to work again so I'll lay low until we retire in California or something like that! Be sure to let others know how you became successful, we are so lucky to live in a country where hard work pays off. GL
    First paragraph is all I like to see. I'm a avid believer in not handing everything to your children. Bought my own cars as well throughout highschool/uni etc. It is the only way to learn the true value of money is when you are making it yourself and understanding that all those bills the parents pay, are pretty damn costly. That is my biggest pet peeve about society today is that the value of money is becoming lost and expectations are everything being handed to someone is growing. Kudos to working your **** off because that is exactly what I believe in.
    05-08-13 11:45 AM
    Life is good...let us please get past the love in crud...
    Bugmapper and peter9477 like this.
    05-08-13 11:46 AM
    If BlackBerry releases some tasty Q10 figures we will fly.
    05-08-13 11:49 AM
    im still waiting too, wanting to trade today ugh!

by the way i didnt mean to start anything by asking how many shares morgan owned, it was completely out of curiosity and wasnt meant to start off a heated discussion, but i can tell that you guys are having a pretty civil discussion about wealth i hope it stays that way!

morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    05-08-13 11:52 AM
    If BlackBerry releases some tasty Q10 figures we will fly.
    We will get those numbers on June 28th.
    lcjr likes this.
    05-08-13 11:57 AM
    im still waiting too, wanting to trade today ugh!

by the way i didnt mean to start anything by asking how many shares morgan owned, it was completely out of curiosity and wasnt meant to start off a heated discussion, but i can tell that you guys are having a pretty civil discussion about wealth i hope it stays that way!
    I think we all can understand why Morgan does not want to admit that he owns half of Blackberry!
    05-08-13 12:00 PM

My SUV drops near 5 inches when the ignition is turned off. It does weigh 6000lbs but still gets 17-19 mpg if you are going downhill.
    That sounds like a V10 Touareg. I have one as well.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 12:04 PM
    That's what I'm going to tell my wife tonight!! Ha!
    I must say... I saw the new Corvette Stingray on the highway cruising once... that car is a beauty.
    05-08-13 12:08 PM
    I must say... I saw the new Corvette Stingray on the highway cruising once... that car is a beauty.
    Yes. My son asked if I would buy one...25th Anniversary Special
    05-08-13 12:10 PM
    gohan_bcc!

. I find that as I get older, I care more about how others perceive myself and our family. Outside of my wife, no one knows the extent of what we have, aside from our house and cottage, vehicles and the like, it is impossible to know where we are financially. My life wasn't always like this, I owned a Jaguar XKE 1966-1/2 convertible and a Morgan when I went to University. I stood out there. The professors would look out the window when I would drive in/out of the parking lot and I would get plenty of comments in class. I got those cars from working my **** off, restoring them myself and having them ready for University, my parents gave me nothing and I liked it that way.

Morgan,

You are so right with this.

I am 33, have a net worth of a wet napkin, but I have a home, a beautiful wife, a beautiful daughter and a son due in 2 months, and yet the only important thing to me is that family. Don't get me wrong, money is great! But having people/family to share that with is what I consider wealth. When I was in my 20's, it was all about status, things and how the world percieved me.

A lot of people I know my age are concerned with things and status symbols, (Alberta Oil Life $$$) yet all are noticably envious of what I have. No amount of money can buy that!

I have limited funds to invest in BBRY, however I am continually increasing my position. I managed to get in quite low and still maintain an O/A porfit. My sole purpose for investing in BBRY was to be able to give my family a little extra that working 12hrs 6 days a week can not, and I believe that BBRY is winner. (So far we have one tuition covered, if we can get this over 25$ I'll have boths kids' tuitions covered, so remember my kids are relying on you guys)
    Most of you have kept me in this with your advice and expertise, and for that I am grateful.

Anyway we're all here for different reasons and to acquire a different type of wealth, but we're all in this together.

Cheers.
    Last edited by AngryEdmontonian; 05-08-13 at 12:27 PM.
    05-08-13 12:11 PM
    With the way this is having a hard time pushing above $15, you'd think it was Friday with $15 calls on the line.
    Shanerredflag and lcjr like this.
    05-08-13 12:19 PM
    I've been very fortunate at a young age but would give everything up for my family and (real) friends. Financial well being is a bonus. I don't need it to be happy. Took me a few years to realize that but I'm glad I did.

Cheers to all you like minded peoples

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 12:20 PM
    gohan_bcc!

Okay since we are all starting to get to know one another somewhat intimately I will add a some personal info to the mix. I haven't really contributed much to the thread more of lurking then anything else but am on here pretty much all day reading everyone's comments. M8 I owe you some gratitude for keeping me in the game with your technical analysis, god knows there has been many times that I thought about throwing in the towel and dumping the stock. This past year I lost over $65k of my savings mostly in part to Apple's fall from grace, not to mention Znga and a few others. I don't mind sharing this info with people on this board as we have a very special thing going on here. If you been around like myself and by no means am I an older timer, you will realize how special this thread is.

Now regarding the car talk I have owned my share of high end cars, 911, E55, M5, X5, 545i, 540i, 530i, LR3 too many to list. I now drive a 2012 Jeep GC Hemi and the wife a 2010 Prius. It's taken me many years to realize about wealth and whats important in life, I too was one of those poor soles trying to Keeping up with the Joneses. I have a lot of friends that are extremely wealthy but most of them are miserable, they never seem to have the time to actually enjoy life. I myself am fortunate enough to have a job that allows me the freedom to be able to take my kids to and from school on a daily bases. Could I get a higher paying job and advance my carrier, sure but at a cost of not being able to spend as much time with my family.
    05-08-13 12:20 PM

Sounds like you have a Range Rover.
    05-08-13 12:24 PM
    EE 'absolutely focused' on enterprise customers- Computing mobile

"We believe in MDM at deployment, to help customers understand the use case," said Taylor. "Our MDM service for any platform has data VPN and Mobile Iron."
    EE is also still the only enterprise provider fully supporting BlackBerry's BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10, which Taylor says has "good" pickup so far.
    "It's early days, we're about a month in, pipeline conversations are strong," said Taylor. "I'm hoping to announce the companies we're working with on that shortly."
    05-08-13 12:29 PM
113,256 ... 905906907908909 ...