View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Be careful of what you wish for. Just came across this headline.

Buyers Beware, Many BlackBerry 10 Apps Aren't Compatible with Q10 Smartphone

I don't want to link to it here.
    Probably for the best. But I have a feeling many are going to Google it any ways. . . . .
    05-01-13 01:39 PM
    Whoa... anyone got a WSJ subscription? No DOD deal?

[$$] Pentagon to Embrace Apple, Samsung Devices

Pentagon Expected to Embrace Apple, Samsung Devices - WSJ.com
    Last edited by DueNorthBB; 05-01-13 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Fixed URL
    05-01-13 01:39 PM
    Can I subscribe to get emails of Morgan's posts so I am immediately aware of his guru TA insights? I don't have stops in place but he always makes me feel better about my short term calls...sure maybe I should have dumped this morning at the open but only 2 weeks from blackberry live I want and hope to see the rise to 18 by the end of that week!
    I believe you can subscribe to his posts generally speaking!
    05-01-13 01:40 PM
    Not sure if this is the DOD news we have been waiting for. Looks like this particular program has chosen Android OS.
    Someone please tell me this is nothing to be concerned about.

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/art...EnlMAEMay12013

About three quarters of the way into the article it says:
    "The program targets the Android operating system, with emphasis on user interfaces, usability, simplicity, and ease-of-use. Some apps will function without network access, while others may require more consistent network connectivity."

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 01:41 PM

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324582004578456940454210134.html]Pentagon Expected to Embrace Apple, Samsung Devices - WSJ.com[/url]
    I believe it was discusseed earlier that there isn't a 1 man deal. It is going to be many people.
    05-01-13 01:42 PM

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324582004578456940454210134.html]Pentagon Expected to Embrace Apple, Samsung Devices - WSJ.com[/url]
    Typical over dramatic headline.
    try this instead : BlackBerry threat? Pentagon to open networks to Apple Inc, Google Inc | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post

It clearly says that this is just ALLOWING Samsung and Apple devices along side Blackberry devices. Not great news for BB, but not as bad as some are making it seem.
    05-01-13 01:45 PM

Pentagon Expected to Embrace Apple, Samsung Devices - WSJ.com
    Yip. Obama was a little too cozy with the Apple CEO at the last State of the Union speech...corcksucking arseholes...
    CP24 was just reporting about the new blackberry phone launched today. They said it's the one with the KEYBOARD!

Overall, said good things, except for the lack of apps.
    try this instead : BlackBerry threat? Pentagon to open networks to Apple Inc, Google Inc | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post

It clearly says that this is just ALLOWING Samsung and Apple devices along side Blackberry devices. Not great news for BB, but not as bad as some are making it seem.
    Yeah, they're going to have to use BES aren't they?
    05-01-13 01:47 PM
    here it is, I don't like the sounds of it

Samsung Electronics Co. 005930.SE +2.63%and Apple Inc. AAPL -0.63%are bringing the smartphone wars to the Pentagon.

The Department of Defense is expected in coming weeks to grant two separate, security approvals for Samsung's Galaxy smartphones, along with iPhones and iPads running Apple's latest operating system, according to people familiar with the matter—moves that would boost the number of U.S. government agencies allowed to use those devices.

Both companies have been pushing hard to win over U.S. defense agencies, some of the government's most security-conscious customers. That market is small and still largely dominated by Research In Motion Ltd.'s BBRY -2.88%BlackBerrys, so the new security approvals won't likely translate into any immediate, big sales or new customers.

Still, the approvals are among a handful considered to be the gold standard in communications security. Passing muster at the Pentagon can go a long way in making other security-minded customers—like bankers and lawyers—feel more comfortable using the devices.

For Samsung, in particular, its push in Washington is the latest attempt at winning more corporate and government customers. Samsung has hired several former RIM executives as well as veterans from security-focused firms. It recently created an enterprise-focused division within the company that is been reaching out to Western governments.

Last month in London, Samsung hosted the first meeting of a new government-advisory board, made up of Samsung executives and technology-security experts from Western government agencies, including the U.S. National Security Agency. The NSA sometimes participates in such industry groups, focused on shaping new products for government agencies.

During the two-day meeting, which included a dinner at Gordon Ramsay's Maze restaurant, the head of Samsung's new enterprise unit, BC Cho, said it was "a little bit embarrassing" that the company's smartphones weren't being used by government agencies, considering how many consumer phones the company was shipping, according to meeting notes reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

The meeting also included representatives from the British National Technical Authority for Information Assurance, the agency that ensures British telecoms security, and government representatives from Canada, Australia, France and Germany. Samsung told attendees it planned to roll out a more rugged version of its flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S 4. As previously reported by The Wall Street Journal, the new phone, tentatively called the Galaxy S 4 "Active," would be waterproof and dust proof.

Such a product could appeal to consumers who want to take their phone mountain climbing or kayaking. But it could also be attractive to government agencies needing devices for officials in hardship postings, or even soldiers on the battlefield.

While the primary pitch of the meeting was to convince governments to give Samsung a chance at winning government business, the company was also upfront about its bigger ambitions. Samsung Executive Vice President Young Lee, head of the company's European operations, said at the meeting that Samsung knew it wasn't going to bring in "big volumes" of government contracts, compared with its consumer market, but said others would surely follow, according to the meeting notes.

"Once we are certified by the government, more easily we can convince others, the bankers and also big enterprise and so on," he said, according to the meeting notes.

Toward the end of the two days, one Samsung executive joked that perhaps once Samsung gets government approval for its new devices, the NSA could get U.S. President Barack Obama, well known as a BlackBerry and iPad user, to take up a Samsung device.

"You never know," the NSA representative, Margaret Salter, responded, according to the notes. An NSA representative declined to comment.

The Defense Information Systems Agency, or DISA, the agency that sanctions commercial technology for Pentagon use, is set to rule that Samsung's Galaxy line of smartphones, preloaded with Samsung's Knox security software, conforms with the Pentagon's so-called Security Technology Implementation Guide, according to people familiar with the approval process. That would allow it to be used by some Pentagon agencies for things like sending and receiving internal emails, according to these people.

A spokesperson for Samsung declined to comment. A spokesperson for DISA didn't have an immediate response.

Separately, DISA is expected to rule that Apple's latest operating system, iOS 6, conforms to a different security-requirement guide, these people said. That would allow iPhones and iPads to be used by military agencies for nonclassified communications, like email and Web browsing.

The Defense Department has more than three million employees, though not all of them are issued devices.

Many government agencies—including some divisions of the U.S. military—have already approved iPhones and iPads for use. But the Pentagon certification would allow more security-sensitive government agencies at the Pentagon to start using them, and would allow more widespread use of the devices across government agencies. An Apple spokeswoman declined to comment.

The two smartphone makers have to go through a different vetting process because Samsung's phones rely on Google Inc.'s GOOG -0.61%Android operating system. Because that is used with an array of device makers, and is based on open-source software, it can be more vulnerable to security breaches. Apple's operating system, meanwhile, is proprietary and viewed as more secure.

RIM, meanwhile, has long held the Pentagon's top security approvals for its older-model BlackBerrys. But more recently, it has had to go back to seek fresh approval because its latest BlackBerrys, the touch-screen Z10 and keyboard-equipped Q10, run off a new operating system.

RIM says it is close to getting top Defense Department approval for the new OS, called BlackBerry 10.

"We are working with DOD and DISA to ensure we have approval as soon as possible," a RIM spokeswoman said in a statement.
    DueNorthBB and Shanerredflag like this.
    05-01-13 01:50 PM
    not necessarily. Fixmo is a company founded by former RIM employees now partially owned by Samsung who are piloting a program with the USAF right now, alluded to in this article.

BBRY's ace up their sleeve may be their secure worldwide network that will be able to connect soldiers, their vehicles etc. in the internet of things.

Yeah, they're going to have to use BES aren't they?
    05-01-13 01:53 PM

That's an old article (2/26). I wonder if the WSJ is just following up on that. Just saw it on the Yahoo for "today".
    05-01-13 01:54 PM
    The upward trend is looking good, we may end up flat on the day.
    05-01-13 01:55 PM
    Almost back at $16
    We are pushinggggg
    not necessarily. Fixmo is a company founded by former RIM employees now partially owned by Samsung who are piloting a program with the USAF right now, alluded to in this article.

BBRY's ace up their sleeve may be their secure worldwide network that will be able to connect soldiers, their vehicles etc. in the internet of things.

Sounds like it's time for BBRY to buy Fixmo.
    05-01-13 01:57 PM
    They're private

Sounds like it's time to buy Fixmo.
    05-01-13 01:58 PM
    here it is, I don't like the sounds of it

Samsung Electronics Co. 005930.SE +2.63%and Apple Inc. AAPL -0.63%are bringing the smartphone wars to the Pentagon.
    I guess it'll take until their first major breach to realize what a stupid decision this was...
    05-01-13 01:59 PM
    Negative articles after a run up.... shocking

Posted via CB10
    Charles Martin1 and take99 like this.
    They're private
    Hmmm...perhaps I'll buy them.
    Just doesn't wanna go past 16 hah
    05-01-13 02:04 PM
    $16 on TSX, just about
    gohan_bcc likes this.
    05-01-13 02:07 PM
    over 16 in TO!
    05-01-13 02:08 PM
    With regards to this Do thing, couldn't this mean some departments are allowed to use Samsung and apple devices, but the MDM solution behind it all could still be BES10?

Or am I being too optimistic?

Posted via CB10
    I believe today's Q10 launch has been Toronto only. Other parts of the country are coming right after, so that's why there isn't much buzz.
    Wrong. I got mine after lunch from a BELL store in a small town of 3,000 people in the boondocks of Nova Scotia.

That Toronto only story is a hoax I believe.
    CDM76 and Shanerredflag like this.
113,256 ... 840841842843844 ...