View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Thor's communication has improved greatly. Much more comfortable and cool. Almost felt like he was answering from a stronger position than before.
    YES! Very much agree. He has a strong presence now. He knows he is dealing from a much stronger hand. He had trouble keeping the grin off his face.
    04-29-13 01:03 PM
    I really like Thor confidance to me it is meaning he is seeing the succes he was hoping for and I am sure it is way more than what we know.
    bungaboy and Acumenight like this.
    04-29-13 01:08 PM
    Thorsten did very, very good. No foot-in-mouth. He had a Cheshire Cat grin on.

He does look a bit tired and is soon due for some Grecian Formula. LoL

He should grow out a goatee and wear round shades. LOL
    04-29-13 01:08 PM
    Thorsten did very, very good. No foot-in-mouth. He had a Cheshire Cat grin on.

He does look a bit tired and is soon due for some Grecian Formula. LoL
    Hmm, really? He looks to me more relaxed now. BB10 is out, that part of the pressure is off, now move forward with other products.
    04-29-13 01:12 PM
    Not sure why, but for some reason I thought it was today. I think maybe I thought April was two days shorter this year or something... that happens sometimes, right?
    Today is "Shipping Day" for Q10 in Canada . . . . . whatever that means. LoL
    04-29-13 01:13 PM
    He should grow out a goatee and wear round shades. LOL
    lol did u see the patent for the blackberry version of google glass......
    Charles Martin1 likes this.
    04-29-13 01:14 PM
    He was giggling a lot during the interview. I never noticed when I first watch it because I was watching so intently for her to ask him a zinger and for him to shag it up. I'm so glad he seems to be becoming a much stronger communicator.
    spike12, bungaboy and lcjr like this.
    04-29-13 01:16 PM
    lol did u see the patent for the blackberry version of google glass......
    No. I can't say that I have. Is there a link to it?
    04-29-13 01:17 PM
    I liked the way he answered the question about short seller manipulation.. straight and to the point: regardless of the intention the facts should be accurate.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-29-13 01:18 PM
    No. I can't say that I have. Is there a link to it?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-6a0168e68320b0970c017d431fa730970c_800wi.jpg

Update: *This patent is dissimilar Google Glass but is a strong representation that wearable computing accessories are on the roadmap of a lot of top companies looking to revolutionize the next decade of consumer tech*

If anything, Google's Glass has excited the market once again as we await its arrival in the summer of 2014. The next leg in the mobile device revolution will be about wearable computers of one sort or another. And with that, comes an opportunity for old and new players in the market to make a new mark for themselves. In 2007, out of the blue came Apple with their iPhone that catapulted them to being the richest tech company in the world. Apple's success meant RIM's downfall and it happened rather quickly. Now RIM, or should I say BlackBerry, is on a bit of a comeback of late and today we report that BlackBerry is jumping into the wearable computer race with a very interesting accessory that will work with future smartphones and tablets.

BlackBerry's conceptual accessory is rather Double-O-7'ish in that you could wear a pair of glasses or a tie, a broach, or wireless headset that beams out an invisible IR light that will allow you to see your confidential information on your smartphone display. But when but look away, the IR light is moved away from the display and your confidential information is shown on the screen as one big mess of static to someone with peering eyes. All in all, it's a nice peek at one of the next generation accessories and you could read all about it now.

-PatentBolt

BlackBerry's First Wearable Computer Accessory Concept

There are many electronic devices that include display screens, such as televisions, smart phones, DVD players, remote controls, global positioning system devices and e-book readers, to name a few. Many of these electronic devices are portable.

Information displayed on a display screen of a conventional electronic device may be viewable by any person who looks at the display screen, regardless of the confidentiality of the information or the relevance of the information to the person. The information may also be viewable even when no one is looking at the display screen.

A Novel Way of Hiding Confidential Information Shown on a Display

Concepts behind BlackBerry's wearable computer accessory include displaying information on the display screen when a user is looking at the display screen, and dimming or turning off the display screen when the user is looking away from it. These concepts may be useful in advancing confidentiality, or may help conserve power in the portable electronic device, or may realize other advantages as well.

Making certain items of information viewable only by a particular user of the portable electronic device and not viewable by other users of the portable electronic device may satisfy security concerns.

Alternatively or additionally, accommodating individual preferences of multiple users of the same portable electronic device may be of interest, such that, for example, when a particular user is looking at the display screen, only information that is relevant to that particular user is displayed.

The Wearable Accessory

BlackBerry states that the accessory will be paired to an electronic device such as a smartphone (or tablet). The device will have a built-in light receiver and the accessory will have a light transmitter. The accessory may be embodied as a component having its own functions, such as a headset or headphones or eyeglasses, or an article worn by a user of the device, such as a hat, jewelry or other article of clothing.

In a typical implementation, the accessory is worn facing forward so as to transmit light in the direction of the smartphone (or tablet).

Accessory Functionality

The smartphone or other device may be configured to perform one or more behaviors in response to a property or quality of the light detected by the light receiver. For purposes of illustration, a quality of light that will be detected may be the intensity of the light.

The first set of one or more behaviors may include one or more methods of activating the display, unscrambling what is displayed on the display, turning on the electronic device, displaying confidential information on the display, displaying personal contacts on the display, and any other behaviors.

The second set of one or more behaviors may include one or more methods of deactivating the display, scrambling what is displayed on the display, turning off the electronic device, not displaying the confidential information on the display, not displaying the personal contacts on the display, and any other behaviors.

BlackBerry's patent FIG. 1 shown below is a schematic showing a light transmitter 100 attached to an accessory 102, illustrated as a wireless headset, and an electronic device 104, illustrated as a portable electronic device, having a light receiver 106 and a display screen 108.

The wireless headset may be, for example, a Bluetooth headset that is to be worn on an ear of a person using the device. In a variation, the accessory may be headphones (or another accessory) electrically connected to the portable electronic device with a wire.

In the case where the device is configured to have a first set of behaviors and a second set of behaviors that include, respectively, activating and deactivating the display screen, frequent activations and deactivations may create a potentially jarring visual effect.

Users Can Set a Time Delay that Deactivates the Display

For example, the user may prefer that the display screen is not deactivated each time the user briefly glances away from the device and then quickly returns his or her gaze to the device, but that the display screen is deactivated only if the user looks away from the device for a longer period of time. Thus, the device may be configured to deactivate the display screen only after a certain delay since the light receiver last received light from the light transmitter. The delay could be, for example, 2 seconds to 30 seconds, and could be configured according to the user's preferences.

A Feature Similar to Samsung's Smart Pause

In addition to activating and deactivating the display screen, and scrambling or otherwise altering what is displayed on the display screen, numerous other examples of behaviors of the device are contemplated.

If the device is playing a movie, the movie could be paused in response to the user looking away from the device and the movie could be played in response to the user looking back at the device.

Other Features on the Same Theme

In the first example, if the device is playing music, the music could be paused in response to the user looking at the device and the music could be played in response to the user looking away from the device.

In the second example, the user's status on an instant messaging application on the device could be changed depending on whether or not the user is looking at the device. If the user is communicating with someone via the instant messaging application and the user suddenly stops looking at the device, the user's status could be updated to "Away", and the person at the other end of the conversation could be informed of the change in the user's status. Once the user looks at the device again, the user's status could be updated to "Available".

For Business: More Information on Hiding Confidential Information Shown on a Display

According to BlackBerry, the configuration of the device to perform different behaviors in response to changes in the incident light intensity and corresponding changes in the output of the receiver may be used to enhance security of information on the device.

For example, outputs of the light receiver that are functions of lower incident light intensities may result in the display of non-confidential information, whereas outputs of the light receiver that are functions of higher incident light intensities may result in the display of both non-confidential and confidential information.

In one example, if high intensity light is detected (for example, when the user is looking at the device), all emails that have the word "confidential" in the title may be displayed in the user's inbox, whereas if low intensity light is detected (for example, when the user is looking away from the device), all such emails may not be displayed in the user's inbox.

In another example, outputs of the light receiver that are functions of lower incident light intensities may result in the display of certain contacts in a list of contacts, whereas outputs of the light receiver that are functions of higher incident light intensities may result in the display of alternative or additional contacts in the list of contacts. For example, only business contacts could be displayed when the user is looking away from the device, while both business contacts and personal contacts could be displayed when the user is looking at the device.

Example behaviors that may be performed in response to an output that is a function of an increase in incident light intensity may include turning on the device, unlocking the device, activating the display screen, unscrambling a signal output to the display screen, opening an application, resuming play of a paused movie, changing a user's status on an instant messaging application, modifying information displayed within an application, and any other suitable behavior.

Example behaviors that may be performed in response to an output that is a function of a decrease in incident light intensity may include turning off the device, locking the device, deactivating the display screen, scrambling or altering a signal output to the display screen, closing an application, pausing play of a movie, changing a user's status on an instant messaging application, modifying information displayed within an application, and any other suitable behavior.

To reduce a risk of signal hacking, encoded light could be time-stamped and the encoding scheme could be changed after a certain amount of time. Time-dependent encoding schemes may require that the device and the accessory be synchronized. The accessory may comprise some time-keeping mechanism, for example, one or more oscillators.

Different Forms of Accessories

While the main accessories of BlackBerry's system were presented as both a wireless headset and/or pair of specialized glasses, the fact is that the accessories may come in varying forms. For example, a light transmitter could be attached to or included in a piece of wearable jewelry, such as a necklace or a brooch, or an item of clothing, such as a hat or a vest or a jacket or a necktie or a scarf. In the case of two light transmitters, each light transmitter could be attached to an earring of a pair of earrings, or to left and right portions of a set of headphones, for example.

The next wave of the mobile revolution sounds like it's going to be very exciting for savvy geeks, business people and the general consumer. Obviously in the case of BlackBerry's device, they may very well be aiming their new system for the enterprise market and professional user who are seeking to possess advanced security features such as those outlined in this report.

BlackBerry filed their patent application under serial number 271281 back in Q4 2011. The patent application was recently published by the US Patent and Trademark Office. Considering that this is a patent application, the timing of such a product to market is unknown at this time.

Via: PatentBolt
    bungaboy and Charles Martin1 like this.
    04-29-13 01:20 PM
    A picture is worth . . . . . . "Several tens of millions Q10s"
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-04-29-3.21.00-pm.png  
    04-29-13 01:23 PM
    Looks like we're may just hover around $15.50. Nice solid gain for the day though.

I hope that we get to see some upgrades shortly.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-29-13 01:24 PM
    04-29-13 01:28 PM
    yes but why in the world is the stock not going up!! soo many good news going around..should have been above 16 by now..i swear if there was one negative article out there it would have dropped atleast $1
    04-29-13 01:31 PM
    Research In Motion Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) Option Buyers Turn Bullish
    BBRY bulls are buying weekly call options after encouraging Q10 data

Encouraging data from across the pond has pushed Research In Motion Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) 3.1% higher to $15.49, fueling a flood of short-term call trading. So far today, the BlackBerry maker has seen around 77,000 call options cross the tape, representing a 35% mark-up to its average intraday call volume, and more than double the number of BBRY puts exchanged thus far.

Digging deeper, bulls are buying the weekly 5/3 15.50-strike call, which has seen more than 8,800 contracts cross the tape on open interest of just over 6,000 contracts, pointing to newly opened positions. Meanwhile, the weekly 5/3 16-strike call has seen roughly 7,500 contracts cross, and implied volatility is nearly 10 percentage points higher -- also a sign of fresh initiations. Plus, the majority of the weekly calls traded on the ask side of the aisle, confirming our suspicions of buyer-driven volume.

Research In Motion Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) Option Buyers Turn Bullish | Daily Option Blog | Schaeffer's Investment Research
    04-29-13 01:33 PM
    yes but why in the world is the stock not going up!! soo many good news going around..should have been above 16 by now..i swear if there was one negative article out there it would have dropped atleast $1
    It is going up.

And building up momentum.

Just look at the last 6 months.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-29-13 01:43 PM
    Nothing BUT good news today. I wish BBRY had reacted even more in the upward direction but plus .48 to .50 is not a bad day and it is not over!
    04-29-13 01:48 PM
    Yeah I would much prefer a 1 per cent a day increase for the next couple of years! That would work really great for me

Good day on the whole.

I still don't think we have seen the last of the shorts yet though. I am long BBRY so this short term activity doesn't have much effect on my strategy.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 01:54 PM
    Since the stock went from RIMM to BBRY, Google finance doesn't show the splits anymore.

Anyone who didn't know the history of the stock could look at the 2007 drop as being suspiciously close to when the iPhone was released, as opposed to a 1-3 stock split.
    04-29-13 01:55 PM

If another sh!tty article drives this down right now then I am quite certain that this isn't going anywhere for some time yet.
    lcjr likes this.
    04-29-13 01:56 PM
    We could also get that $1.00 run up at the end of the day! Today would be a good day for that!
    lcjr and q649 like this.
    04-29-13 01:58 PM
    There's relatively low volume again. I am a little surprised by the lackluster performance tbh.
    04-29-13 02:00 PM
    These guys have been hired by the Bulls to "de-claw" the Bears.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-troglodyte-curly-horns-large.jpg
    04-29-13 02:00 PM
    These guys have been hired by the Bulls to "de-claw" the Bears.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	troglodyte-curly-horns-large.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	156181
    Nice. I'm sure he can get the job done.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-29-13 02:02 PM
    04-29-13 02:02 PM
113,256 ... 812813814815816 ...