View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Good morning all. Yeah, I'll lay off from now on. No more beer and women pics or posts.
    Hey lcjr, we sure did like them, don't worry about that. It's just that we never thought about of our pals that work in a "boob free zone".

Lessons learned by all.

So as good BlackBerry/CrackBerry family members we must sacrifice our "beer 'n boobs" until the $100 Party.
    Last edited by bungaboy; 04-27-13 at 11:17 AM.
    04-27-13 10:53 AM
    I read somewhere that QNX's big thing was the ability to borrow computing power from other networked devices. So lets say your phone is 2 ghz your Playbook is 1 and your new to be announced BB monitor/tablet is 4... that's 7 + all the expandable storage one chooses to buy, ( I bought a terabyte for cheep last fall)... if this is their path...wowsa, gotta get more shares.
    04-27-13 10:54 AM
    Anyone have any information on BlackBerry marketing campaign since both the Z10 and Q10 are out? It is all in time for BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    BBInPlay likes this.
    04-27-13 10:55 AM
    Anyway, on the topic of the cloud, to be using Mobile computing and to get away from the bulky computers and laptops, BlackBerry has to have some storage capabilities on these new devices. I don't like the cloud either but if your devices don't have much storage then the point is mute.
    You can get 64 GB of removable storage and if you need more, get another card. People and business' will still need a hard drive at home/office in this case point but I can't really see that changing any time soon.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-27-13 10:56 AM
    I read somewhere that QNX's big thing was the ability to borrow computing power from other networked devices. So lets say your phone is 2 ghz your Playbook is 1 and your new to be announced BB monitor/tablet is 4... that's 7 + all the expandable storage one chooses to buy, ( I bought a terabyte for cheep last fall)... if this is their path...wowsa, gotta get more shares.
    Could you explain your proposed concept again? It sounds like you are suggesting BlackBerry can multi thread across devices.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-13 10:59 AM
    Anyway, on the topic of the cloud, to be using Mobile computing and to get away from the bulky computers and laptops, BlackBerry has to have some storage capabilities on these new devices. I don't like the cloud either but if your devices don't have much storage then the point is mute.
    Agree with this - additionally, I view the Cloud is more for sharing with others (and emergency backups) and this remote access is for you to have at your fingertips.
    The Cloud is like a built in bit.ly link where you can send/share files without transferring the whole file. They can pull it down whenever or however they like. The remote access is for those of us who want constant access without having to sync or buy extra storage on a whim.
    Shanerredflag, bungaboy and lcjr like this.
    04-27-13 11:00 AM
    You can get 64 GB of removable storage and if you need more, get another card. People and business' will still need a hard drive at home/office in this case point but I can't really see that changing any time soon.
    Yeah, I hear ya but when you're traveling around with large powerpoint presentations, graphs, charts, etc... These cards get filled up quick.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-27-13 11:03 AM
    I'm just a bit stunned by this.

BlackBerry Just said "F U" to the cloud with this.

Which, btw I've always thought was stupid and have always avoided.
    This is a area of keen interest to me. Personal cloud solutions has been on Android for a few years now, and to the extent that iOS can support a file system, it's on iOS as well.

Besides the BB link solution cannot be properly called a cloud solution. It's more closely resembles an FTP server at this point. To be a proper cloud solution, it should support at least 1 and 2 below:
    1. It is common for users to have multiple devices and computers now. iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, Linux, BB10, legacy BB. This BB link solution only supports one of these.
    2. Cloud document services like Google Drive and Dropbox support automatic syncing of documents across computers, one of its most convenient features.
    3. Cloud file services also provides APIs for integration with other apps, these apps can use it for storage.

I have a couple of terabytes of video, music, photos, and documents and which I'm serving up from a NAS : my personal cloud. I've got is so all my devices are using it, unfortunately only the Z10 doesn't have the apps to make use of it.
    04-27-13 11:05 AM
    I have 64GB storage card in my Z10. Plenty for me. And now with the Remote File Access you don't need clouds.
    04-27-13 11:06 AM
    Yeah, I hear ya but when you're traveling around with large powerpoint presentations, graphs, charts, etc... These cards get filled up quick.
    You can also misplace cards but so long as you have an Internet connection you have access to all of your files.

Posted via CB10
    lcjr, Bugmapper and Scott Lefebvre like this.
    04-27-13 11:06 AM
    Could you explain your proposed concept again? It sounds like you are suggesting BlackBerry can multi thread across devices.

Posted via CB10
    Yes...that is what I read, there is a video showing some rudimentary example of this as well (I don't have the link) but when Laz and Dan Dodge introduced the PlayBook a couple years ago they showed how the concept worked.

Sorry for no link...too lazy to look right now.
    bungaboy and Scott Lefebvre like this.
    04-27-13 11:07 AM

Posted via CB10
    Something like this maybe but not limited to a room......

MWC: The Astonishing Tribe's Cool PlayBook Document-Sharing App - YouTube
    04-27-13 11:08 AM

Ca-ching!!!!
    04-27-13 11:08 AM
    I think that is the point.. for those of us who work at large institutions, we already have shared drives on servers linked to our desktops. Now BlackBerry is showing us that we can get access to all of it by implementing their solutions, and no need to carry the presentation with you, you always have access to the original back at work.

Who needs a laptop when BlackBerry can provide you with a secure terminal that puts you virtually back in your own office!
    04-27-13 11:10 AM

That's it 3268 views on that video...lets check back in a week, see how many people read this thread.
    bungaboy and cjcampbell like this.
    04-27-13 11:12 AM
    Remote file access will also be limited to the download speeds of your upload speed of your Internet connection at work or at home. If your files are in your work computer, download speeds will not be an issue but the slow upload speeds associated with your typical home commection will be painful if you're transferring large files. With files in the cloud, you should be limited only to the quality of your LTE connection.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-13 11:14 AM

Applications like this for enterprise will put more volume on BlackBerry servers. I think that is a huge reason why BlackBerry is migrating consumers away from bis so they focus their network resources on this new level of service for business, and not 12yo kids taking selfies.
    Shanerredflag, bungaboy and CDM76 like this.
    04-27-13 11:28 AM
    Can't you just use a network attached storage drive and use that for all of your storage. Not as fast as having the info on your device of course but, apparently that is not important any more.
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    04-27-13 11:34 AM

Hmmmm.... does that mean that BlackBerry devices could also be used to extend a cell network beyond the range of the towers, or inside of large buildings or under ground?

If I can call a tower, why not another BlackBerry directly? Why waste cell tower resources when you are calling a device in the next building?
    04-27-13 11:44 AM
    BlackBerry Just said "F U" to the cloud with this.
    Not really to the cloud, usage may vary much (backup, sharing, casting ...).
    Also, most users have very low outgoing bandwidth (~100K) witch would not be very suitable for large files.
    Now, this is a really nice fature and an appealing marketing feature !
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-27-13 11:49 AM
    I have a couple of terabytes of video, music, photos, and documents and which I'm serving up from a NAS : my personal cloud. I've got is so all my devices are using it, unfortunately only the Z10 doesn't have the apps to make use of it.
    Wondering if this cannot solve that : BlackBerry World - PlayCloud 10

And yeah, it's French (very nice) work
    PlayCloud is a native file manager, with integrated cloud service. Play, open, sync your files and directories from your BlackBerry� 10 device. With PlayCloud, you can merely sync your local files with a remote cloud as FTP, WebDAV, Box™, DropBox™, Skydrive™, Google Drive™... and of course your SD-Card ! PlayCloud is also compliant with the network postscript printer, using the IPP protocol. PlayCloud is perfectly integrated to your interface in using the same skin. At last, PlayCloud is built with the last BlackBerry� Cascades SDK to offer flow experience and to use all device capabilities. To define default settings, change order, read the help... swipe down from the top screen to view the menu. Set the PlayCloud behaviour from your network connection. For support, news, update, features request... follow me on Twitter @prognweb or please send a mail to support. If you have issues, please contact support before post a negative review. We try to solve your issue. You can find two PlayCloud releases in the BlackBerry World™ - a trial and a full release. Trial version is only a files viewer. Recente changes and features available : • Local & System view • SD-Card support • Dropbox support • Box support • Google Drive support • Skydrive support • Sugarsync support • OpenDataSpace support (experimental) • Webdav support • FTP(SSL)/SFTP support • Print feature (IPP support & PDF/PS) • Files search • Media sharing over social networks • Background transfers • Network WiFi & Cellular choice (roaming management) • Transfers progress status • Transfers complete notification • BlackBerry and third party applications integration • Mutli-select feature • Open, Copy, move or delete files • File details view (with comments) • Image and audio thumbnails support • EXIF metadata image support • Network cache data • Help embedded
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    04-27-13 11:59 AM
    Oh my. Can the Fort Knox be leaky too. LoL

Android developers now banned from bypassing Google's Play Store app updates

BGR

Friday, April 26, 2013 11:30 PM GMT

Google on Friday changed one of its Play Store policies to prevent apps from being updated outside of its marketplace. The company states that “an app downloaded from Google Play may not modify, replace or update its own APK binary code using any method other than Google Play’s update mechanism.” The change comes shortly after Facebook tweaked its Android application to allow users to update it without using the normal Google Play update system. It could be a coincidence, however it would appear that Google is worried that other developers might have followed suit and would therefore become less dependent on its Play Store.
    04-27-13 12:19 PM
    Yeah, I'm looking for a way outside the cloud or drop box to consolidate my files without having a computer or laptop on at the house. In fact, my computer is boxed up and I don't leave the laptop running when not in use. Any recommendations?
    04-27-13 12:41 PM
    Yeah, I'm looking for a way outside the cloud or drop box to consolidate my files without having a computer or laptop on at the house. In fact, my computer is boxed up and I don't leave the laptop running when not in use. Any recommendations?
    Synology NAS. No PC necessary.

http://www.synology.com/dsm/index.php?lang=us

Leading consumer NAS solution does almost everything for a little over $200. That recently started adding support for Windows phone, chances are they're also considering BB10. I wrote them about supporting it.
    04-27-13 12:52 PM
    Easiest way : external drive linked directly to your DSL/Cable box ... but you have to expose a port ... Hard to secure "for real".
    Edit : ah, see notafanboy answer. My thoughts, exactly (or another NAS, many manufacturers).
    bungaboy and lcjr like this.
    04-27-13 12:53 PM
113,256 ... 801802803804805 ...