View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    What kinda parties you into cj lol, considering its mostly dudes in here.
    Are you allowed to ask that today? Oh yeah, that's just the military. Hahahahahahahq. Just kidding cj.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-19-13 10:54 PM
    Are you allowed to ask that today? Oh yeah, that's just the military. Hahahahahahahq. Just kidding cj.
    No worries. Lol. I know who I am. And for the record, I have no issues with nudity but am purely hetero.

Posted via CB10
    lcjr likes this.
    04-19-13 11:08 PM
    No worries. Lol. I know who I am. And for the record, I have no issues with nudity but am purely hetero.

Posted via CB10
    That's great news. I don't want to be dancing naked next to you and have you drooling all over me. Hahahahahahahqhahaha.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-19-13 11:12 PM
    OMG, I would love to see the agenda for the party. Who ever the host is definitely has his/her hands full.
    04-19-13 11:16 PM
    OMG, I would love to see the agenda for the party. Who ever the host is definitely has his/her hands full.
    If you guys need a DJ, I'm down haha! Hope you like Deep House and Funky Chicago ish! I'm sure you will after a bunch of beers...
    Superfly_FR, bungaboy and lcjr like this.
    04-20-13 12:09 AM
    I agree. a year ago was in Europe solo and backpacking thru 10 different countries by train. It was awesome, and enjoyed 2 weeks in Germany, where I was in Dusseldorf for @ a week. Easy to get around, but here in Vancouver? no way Jose! Infrastructure changes on-going. New massive "toll bridge" complete and is still a pain to get anywhere in daytime/ rush like traffic which is all day now. New study shows we are number 2 behind friggin LA for worst traffic congestion. maybe this will change a bit in future? oh- and we have the "elite" distinction of being now the most expensive city in NA!! Even more than New York! Grrr- Welcome to Vancouver. Good thing we got all these awesome mountains n ocean everywhere other wise? I Live in the burbs like most poor folks here
    agreed but the skytrain is pretty cool tho!
    04-20-13 12:42 AM
    just throwin this out there, but I think the $100 party should actually be a tour...yeah, the $100 party tour...that's the ticket! Party after party, a travelling road show!
    bungaboy and lcjr like this.
    04-20-13 12:45 AM
    and Kid Vibe could be the $100 party travelling dj! It sounds like a train wreck waitin to happen..I'm in!
    bungaboy and lcjr like this.
    04-20-13 12:47 AM
    If you guys need a DJ, I'm down haha! Hope you like Deep House and Funky Chicago ish! I'm sure you will after a bunch of beers...
    I can do some too tech, deep, prog house
    Kid Vibe, bungaboy and lcjr like this.
    04-20-13 01:17 AM
    mhh I sincerely hope you have some mineapolis purple sound too
    On my own I could bring back some deep funk and hot groove from a time the under 25 probably don't even know anymore ... you know; the times loops and samples come from !
    bungaboy, lcjr and Kid Vibe like this.
    04-20-13 03:27 AM
    mhh I sincerely hope you have some mineapolis purple sound too
    On my own I could bring back some deep funk and hot groove from a time the under 25 probably don't even know anymore ... you know; the times loops and samples come from !
    Now that I can handle. Funk-adelic
    Superfly_FR and lcjr like this.
    04-20-13 07:16 AM
    Here is another Seeking Alpha piece:

BlackBerry May Make As Much Profit From One Z10 As Nokia Does From Three WP8 Lumias
    Apr 20 2013, 06:38 | about: BBRY, includes: NOK
    Disclosure: I am long BBRY. (More...)

Nokia's (NOK) Q1 earnings report gives us a chance to look at their smartphone results (which are grouped into Nokia's Smart Devices business unit) and compare the gross margin value of their Lumia sales to BlackBerry's (BBRY) Z10 sales. We aren't going to look at Asha gross margins since BlackBerry doesn't have anything comparable for that target market.

What stood out for me from this analysis and comparison is that Nokia really doesn't make much money when it sells a smartphone, even for one of their newer Windows Phone 8 Lumia models.

Comparison Between BlackBerry Margins and Nokia Lumia Margins

I've converted Nokia's figures from Euros to USD at a rate of $1.30 per € to make for an easier comparison in the below chart.

The BlackBerry Z10's gross margins appear to be much higher than the gross margins for the Windows Phone 8 Lumias. BlackBerry makes about as much per Z10 as Nokia does for three Windows Phone 8 Lumias. In fact, BlackBerry also still makes 20% more per legacy BlackBerry 7 device than Nokia does for their new Windows Phone 8 Lumias. While Nokia may have needed to clear out inventory by selling their Windows Phone 7 Lumias at cost, BlackBerry is still able to get significant value from BlackBerry 7 customers due to service revenues.

Service revenues make up a much smaller proportion of the Z10's profitability, but it appears that this is made up for by hardware margins that approach Samsung's level.

(click to enlarge)

Now on to the calculations to get to these numbers.

Nokia Smart Device Margins

Nokia said that Lumia sales were 5.6 million units during the latest quarter and Symbian sales were 0.5 million. WP8 sales accounted for approximately 2/3rd of Lumia volumes.

We are going to assume that the WP7 Lumias were sold at cost since Lumia ASPs declined from the previous quarter and Nokia mentioned that was partially due to price erosion. The cost was estimated at €130 per WP7 Lumia based on comments in previous financial statements. WP8 Lumias are estimated to have a 22% margin based on comments that margins for those phones were somewhat above 20.7%. To arrive at a higher margin calculation than this for the WP8 Lumias would require the WP7 Lumias to have been sold below cost or to have the Symbian phones have a cost per device that is over double that of WP7 Lumias. The Symbian numbers may seem high, but the ASP number is derived from the financials, and cost of sales is assumed to be similarly high to allow for better Lumia margins.

I've also removed the effect on cost of sales of the EUR 50 million reversal of previously recognized inventory related allowances since that is a onetime transaction.

Lumia - WP 7

Lumia - WP8

Lumia - All

Symbian

Total

Phones Sold (Million)

Revenue (EUR Million)

ASP (EUR)

Cost of Sales (EUR Million)

Cost of Sales Per Phone (EUR)

Gross Margin Per Phone (EUR)

Gross Margin (%)

0.0%

22.0%

17.0%

12.4%

16.4%

BlackBerry Gross Margins

In an earlier article, we determined the hardware margins that BlackBerry made on both their BlackBerry 7 phones and their new BlackBerry Z10. However, to get a complete idea of the money BlackBerry will eventually make when they sell a phone, we need to add service revenue margins to the mix.

For service revenues, we are going to estimate that BB7 users generate $3 per month in service fees over a 24 month period. Service revenue margins are 86.1%, so the gross service margin for BB7 phones would be $62. The total value of lifetime gross margins for a BB7 sale is $72.47. BlackBerry has made their BB7 products appealing by reducing the upfront price and making back some money over time via service revenues.

For the Z10, we are going to estimate the Z10 users generate $1 per month in service fees over a 24 month period. This is a fairly conservative estimate that assumes 10-15% of Z10 users are business users (estimates seem to put business users at 20-30% of BlackBerry's subscriber base) generating $6 to $10 per month in service fees, and the rest generate zero service revenues. The gross margin for these service fees is $20.66 per Z10 phone.

The result is that a Z10 sale is worth $174.67 in gross margin, which makes them worth as much as 2.4 BB7 sales. Despite the loss of a significant proportion of service revenues, a Z10 sale is much more profitable to BlackBerry than a BB7 sale.

Type of Phone

BB7

Z10

ASP Per Phone

$230.87

$436.65

Cost of Sales Per Phone

$220.40

$282.64

Gross Hardware Margin Per Phone

$10.47

$154.01

Gross Service Margin Per Phone

$62.00

$20.66

Total Gross Margin Per Phone

$72.47

$174.67

Conclusion - Nokia

Nokia has been sacrificing device margins to try to boost smartphone sales. Despite this, they haven't been able to pull away from BlackBerry yet. Nokia's Q1 smart devices shipment numbers are similar to BlackBerry's shipment numbers in their most recent quarter, but the gross margin value of BlackBerry's sales are nearly three times that of Nokia's. It is a case where one company's customer is worth significantly more than the other company's customer.

The low device margins also call into question Nokia's ability to generate significant profits through phone sales. They are contending with declining feature phone sales (for reference a Windows Phone 8 Lumia sale generates as much gross margin as seven feature phones). Feature phone sales are down 15 million units year over year. Even if increased Lumia sales offset the decline in feature phone sales, the marginal impact of an additional 1 million Windows Phone 8 Lumia sales in a quarter would seem to improve net income by only around €0.01.

On the positive side, Nokia seems to have stabilized close to breakeven, and are likely going to be close to breakeven (plus or minus a few cents) for the foreseeable future. Whether Lumia sales perform strongly or poorly is unlikely to have a major impact on this earnings position unless they really take off (15-20 million Windows Phone 8 Lumia sales per quarter would push earnings into the €0.10 range).

Conclusion - BlackBerry

BlackBerry's higher gross margins per sale make it easier for them to achieve significant profitability. With BlackBerry the question is more about shipment volume levels. A 1 million increase in Z10 sales (or Q10 sales assuming the same profitability) would lead to a $0.22 increase in net income.

There have also been some concerns about declining service revenue. It is true that reduced service revenue will eliminate much of the safety net that enabled them to survive despite having a tepid response to their 2011 products, and then needing to rely on those products to sell into early 2013. However, Z10 sales are also worth 2.4 times that of a BB7 sale in terms of gross margin right now, so there should be no concern that BB10 sales are taking the place of BB7 sales that included more service revenue.

The short interest of nearly 30% of BlackBerry's shares also makes things interesting if BlackBerry has a very strong quarter. Due to BlackBerry's earnings sensitivity to changes in BB10 sales volumes, a very strong quarter could lead to some outstanding results. In terms of optimistic data points, Peter Misek's supply checks suggested BB10 builds of over 2 million units per month, while BlueFin Research suggested that component sales might be approaching 2011 levels (where BlackBerry was shipping 13 million units per quarter). While these are the most optimistic data points from analysts, sales of 6-7 million BB10 units would push earnings into the $0.65-$0.87 range for next quarter, which could lead to a Netflix-like short squeeze.
    04-20-13 07:23 AM
    And....Nico took the Poll in his Mercedes/BlackBerry F1 car in Bahrain today!!! BlackBerrys second Poll in four races...well done.

The little come from behind team...just like their sponsor
    04-20-13 07:28 AM
    That's great news. I don't want to be dancing naked next to you and have you drooling all over me. Hahahahahahahqhahaha.
    Ok... I'm out.
    m0de25, lcjr and Markymark 23 like this.
    04-20-13 07:44 AM
    This is very promising. Keep in mind when Z10 launched in Canada February 5th and USA was staggered launch March 22 AT&T, March 26 T-Mobile and March 28 Verizon. So 51 days passed between the Canadian launch and the Verizon Launch. So of the 65 days after launch only included 2 weeks of Verizon users, 18 days of T-Mobile use and 20 days of AT&T use.

BlackBerry Z10 Generating 5.3% Of North America BlackBerry Traffic

BlackBerry’s new operating system made its Canadian debut on February 5th with the Z10 full-touch model. The Z10 then made its U.S. debut on the AT&T network March 22nd before the subsequent roll outs to Verizon and T-Mobile in the following weeks.

Chitika Insights sampled tens of millions of U.S. and Canadian mobile ad impressions over the 65 days following the respective launches of the BlackBerry Z10 and Apple iPhone 5. The BlackBerry Z10’s traffic was 5.3% of all BlackBerry traffic compared to the iPhone 5 reaching 12.1% of iPhone traffic at the same point in time.

CJ Takeaway: The BlackBerry Z10 is gaining some traction but it probably won’t be until the Q10 model with a keyboard is available that we will get a true indication of not just how well the new BlackBerry’s will do and if they can make a dent in Apple and Android’s leading positions.

Source: Chitika

Disclosure: My family and I own Apple shares
    04-20-13 07:46 AM
    I'm really liking this chart pattern!!!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-april-20-2013-chart.jpg

Take a look at what we did on Friday! We fell below support first thing in the morning, that was scary stuff there, then, we rallied hard and regained the uptrend line right away and never looked back. Now we have closed above the 5-dma and are pennies away from breaking out of this one month sell-off. Unless we open down on Monday, and close negative, we are breaking out of this downtrend. Our first target is the 50-dma at $ 14.38/shr and then its off to the races from there. It is no surprise considering that the Q10 launches next week. Keep an eye on this chart and that breakout price of $ 13.85/shr, we only have to close positively to start a brand new rally here.

As for social stuff, my good wife said she doesn't care where we hook up for this party as long as there is no booze and I'm home by 9:00 PM.

In addition, there seems to be a lot of disturbing talk about "breasts" on this thread, I can tell you that many of the women and two men (former iPhone owners) have such items on their chests and it isn't polite to single them out. As for dancing around naked at the pool, I'll have none of that and it isn't because the water is likely to be cold either! Well, that's it, a very interesting week indeed. Next week we make money!!!
    04-20-13 09:46 AM
    I'm really liking this chart pattern!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIM April 20 2013 Chart.jpg 
Views:	1416 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	153099

Take a look at what we did on Friday! We fell below support first thing in the morning, that was scary stuff there, then, we rallied hard and regained the uptrend line right away and never looked back. Now we have closed above the 5-dma and are pennies away from breaking out of this one month sell-off. Unless we open down on Monday, and close negative, we are breaking out of this downtrend. Our first target is the 50-dma at $ 14.38/shr and then its off to the races from there. It is no surprise considering that the Q10 launches next week. Keep an eye on this chart and that breakout price of $ 13.85/shr, we only have to close positively to start a brand new rally here.

As for social stuff, my good wife said she doesn't care where we hook up for this party as long as there is no booze and I'm home by 9:00 PM.

In addition, there seems to be a lot of disturbing talk about "breasts" on this thread, I can tell you that many of the women and two men (former iPhone owners) have such items on their chests and it isn't polite to single them out. As for dancing around naked at the pool, I'll have none of that and it isn't because the water is likely to be cold either! Well, that's it, a very interesting week indeed. Next week we make money!!!
    What?! Men grew breasts after using iPhones?

Posted via CB10
    04-20-13 10:39 AM
    What?! Men grew breasts after using iPhones?

Posted via CB10
    Reported here first. Exclusive Story. "Thousands of Men grew breasts after using iPhones"
    04-20-13 10:44 AM
    Reported here first. Exclusive Story. "Thousands of Men grew breasts after using iPhones"
    This just in.

From an un-named reliable source "Hundreds of thousands men became boobs after prolonged iPhone use".
    04-20-13 11:09 AM
    This just in.

From an un-named reliable source "Hundreds of thousands men became boobs after prolonged iPhone use".
    Sent to us anonymously.

From Speaking Alfalfa . . . . . . "When will the boobs put down the iPhones?"
    04-20-13 11:12 AM
    This just in.

OMG, have you heard? Millions of men grew giant breasts after using iPhones.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-13 11:13 AM
    OMG, have you heard? Millions of men grew giant breasts after using iPhones.

Posted via CB10
    Unbeliveable!!!! Some men had one breast removed . . . . . . and two grew back!
    Shanerredflag and plane6065 like this.
    04-20-13 11:29 AM
    How much are Samsung's dirty tricks hurting Apple's shares?

Conspiracy theories grow after charges it funded agent provocateurs in three countries.

FORTUNE -- There's a somewhat paranoid theory being circulated among Apple (AAPL) investors in the wake of the company's seven-month, $296-billion loss in market value.

It goes something like this:

Revealed as a patent copycat last summer by a California jury's $1.05 billion verdict -- a PR disaster of the first order that shook top management and tarnished the image of an entire nation -- Samsung quietly declared war on Apple.

Drawing on a massive $5.3 billion sales, promotion and marketing budget, the company poured a fortune into a high-profile ad campaign designed to caricature Apple's customers as foolish sheep. Meanwhile at the retail level it paid mobile phone salespeople cash "spiffs" (bonuses) for every smartphone customer they could persuade to choose Samsung over Apple.

Behind the scenes, the company engaged in more surreptitious stratagems. It began paying students and other heavy users of social media to post anonymous messages talking up the virtues of Samsung's products and spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt about Apple and other competitors.

chart_ws_stock_appleinc_2013420112242_240xaMost deviously of all, it took a massive short position in Apple in the U.S. securities markets, putting selling pressure on the stock and tarnishing Apple's once-glowing reputation on Wall Street.

OK, so that last bit is admittedly a stretch and purely speculative. Apple's shares were due to fall of their weight as the company entered several quarters of tighter margins and slower growth.

But the rest of this nightmare fantasy is pretty well-documented fact.

The shocked reaction of Chairman Lee Kun-hee to the California verdict last summer was widely reported in South Korean media. Samsung's marketing budget comes directly from the company's quarterly reports. The anti-Apple ads were aired on prime-time American television. Samsung's spiff rates are posted online. And just this week Samsung's Taiwanese subsidiary admitted that it paid students to post negative comments about rival HTC in its home market. Reports have since surfaced in the U.K. and Sweden that it was engaging in similar practices in those countries.

To be fair, Samsung is a world-class electronics manufacturer and a fierce competitor whose smartphones have steadily improved and increased market share on their own merit.

But the company certainly has pockets deep enough to do real damage to a company it might choose to target by other means. What's not clear is how low it's been willing to go.

How much are Samsung's dirty tricks hurting Apple's shares? - Apple 2.0 -Fortune Tech
    04-20-13 11:40 AM
    M8. Could we get a close up of the green circle area of the TA chart? I think this level of detail may be useful for a lot of bbry investors. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    04-20-13 12:11 PM
    Notes from the Fairfax Annual Shareholders meet.....

Q&A

Are they still bullish on Blackberry (BBRY) given that Mike Lazaridas is not there
    anymore?

- Mike is a genius
    - He founded the company and ran it for 30 years
    - Mike said to them that he was tired
    - He is going to support the company and will not sell his shares
    - But Mike wanted to be more in venture capital now
    - He chose Thorsten Heins to the be the CEO
    - Blackberry is going to miss Mike but there are a ton of great management players there

What about the delays in the US surrounding Blackberry 10 (BB10)?

- There are some issues there but there are 78M subscribers--a lot of those are companies
    - Prem believes that the response to the BB10 will be strong when it is available
    - They are not focused on mobile phone.
    - They care about mobile computing
    - The security that BBRY can offer is unlike what anyone can offer
    - There is a ton of demand for smartphones and BBRY will have its place
    - This is a long term opportunity and investment for FFH