View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Scr3w Apple. Where the f^ck is our $20 BBRY stock? Nothing but down, even with positive earnings report, strong sales, high demand.
    Patience hell, pay me!
    BlackBerry finished up $0.08 for the day, in Toronto. Been slowly moving up...critics are becoming supporters. Up we go!

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    lcjr, dusdal, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    04-17-13 06:55 PM
    Is that relatively cheap? I would be down to buy 10 shares. I don't understand much about stocks though

Posted via CB10
    I really would not encourage you to buy any shares if 10 is all you can afford at this point in your life. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put you down or anything, I just hate to see someone make the same mistake I made thinking I could profit by purchasing $100 a month. You will not see any real profit from those shares for years, and maybe that money is better put towards other bills? However ; if you are just looking to learn, and are prepared to lose most of your money, then go for it. Another way to justify buying only 10 shares would be if you were collecting shares of different companies for the distant future. My uncle did that for me when I was a child. Some turned out to be worthless, others appreciated considerably over the years.
    04-17-13 07:30 PM
    Thanks Bugmapper! I just entered. The only time I ever won anything was in 1998 when I entered to win a bass boat at a mall outside Fort Hood Texas. When they finally drew name as the winner i was deployed to Bosnia and they wouldn't hold it for a year until I redeployed. So no bass boat.
    So . . . . you ended up with the Bosnian Paddle instead. LoL

Linda sorta crappy they wouldn't hold it for someone deployed out of country serving their nation.
    lcjr and Bugmapper like this.
    04-17-13 07:32 PM
    Whatever, it's beer thirty Woohoo!! Going to go play Texas Lottery, pick up some beers, then go home and chill by the pool. Bad sandstorms again here so no pool.
    Awwwwe, gee...that's too bad about the pool thing
    Bugmapper, lcjr, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    04-17-13 07:42 PM

Linda sorta crappy they wouldn't hold it for someone deployed out of country serving their nation.
    My wife just said the same thing. Big town - somebody should have stepped up down there.
    lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    04-17-13 07:42 PM

Couldn't blame them really. Where would they store it? My wife couldn't pick it up either because of State law. Winner has to pick up within 10 days or it goes to someone else.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-17-13 07:50 PM
    Couldn't blame them really. Where would they store it? My wife couldn't pick it up either because of State law. Winner has to pick up within 10 days or it goes to someone else.
    Could you not have put it.....in your pool????
    lcjr, bungaboy and q649 like this.
    04-17-13 07:55 PM
    I really would not encourage you to buy any shares if 10 is all you can afford at this point in your life. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put you down or anything, I just hate to see someone make the same mistake I made thinking I could profit by purchasing $100 a month. You will not see any real profit from those shares for years, and maybe that money is better put towards other bills? However ; if you are just looking to learn, and are prepared to lose most of your money, then go for it. Another way to justify buying only 10 shares would be if you were collecting shares of different companies for the distant future. My uncle did that for me when I was a child. Some turned out to be worthless, others appreciated considerably over the years.
    OMG!! That's exactly what I'm trying to do for my girls! You guys already know I don't have that many shares in BBRY, but I own all I can afford. I have this and some in TSLA and BAC. The goal is to rack up all I can and then give them all to my girls. They struggle trying to make it on their own so I help out and go without. Would be cool if these turned into gold soon.
    04-17-13 07:57 PM
    Hey, I just found this covert vid of a couple guy's at an Android party:

When drunk people dance - YouTube!
    Markymark 23 and Bugmapper like this.
    04-17-13 07:58 PM

Lol, but this should serve as a head's up to all of us: We will not allow filming at our 100.00 island party cause I'm sure it'll be much, much worse.
    04-17-13 08:04 PM
    That was a long time ago and the pool i had in that backyard had cartoon fish on it cause it was a kiddie pool. Lol.
    Bugmapper and bungaboy like this.
    04-17-13 08:10 PM
    Lol, but this should serve as a head's up to all of us: We will not allow filming at our 100.00 island party cause I'm sure it'll be much, much worse.
    I know, those guys still had their clothes on! Lol
    Markymark 23 likes this.
    04-17-13 08:13 PM
    04-17-13 08:15 PM
    That was a long time ago and the pool i had in that backyard had cartoon fish on it cause it was a kiddie pool. Lol.
    Touch� lc lol.
    04-17-13 08:18 PM
    It's BGR but not to bad:

04-17-13 08:18 PM

Well, I can't say much cuz they dance better than I do.
    04-17-13 08:22 PM
    Well, I can't say much cuz they dance better than I do.
    Bugmapper, after we've all had a few rounds, we'll all be extremely expert dancers. Lol
    Bugmapper and Markymark 23 like this.
    04-17-13 08:28 PM
    Bugmapper, after we've all had a few rounds, we'll all be extremely expert dancers. Lol
    Yeah, we'll look better too.
    lcjr and Markymark 23 like this.
    04-17-13 08:30 PM
    Sooooooooo true!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 08:32 PM
    Truly appreciate your advice. Thanks, it's not necessarily that all I can afford is 10 shares but it's that I am not familiar with the game

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 08:41 PM
    Apologies if already posted... a bit interesting:

Trading BlackBerry As Volatility Declines
    Apr 17 2013, 04:46 | 19 commentsby: Money Investor | about: BBRY Disclosure: I am long BBRY. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it (other than from Seeking Alpha). I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article. (More...)

I want you to notice that the key word in the title of this article is "trading". For those who have followed my previous articles with regards to BlackBerry (BBRY), you will recall that I have been investing and trading in the stock. This has been done while attempting to use the volatility in the stock price movement to my advantage. At the same time, I would not deem my strategy to be one best suited for a long term investor. If you have ultimate conviction in the future performance of a company, you arguably should buy the stock outright. The strategy I have been utilizing would limit my gains if the stock exploded higher in a short period of time. However, if you believe as I do that the stock will be range bound in the near term, you can utilize a trading strategy to generate income or lower your basis in the stock over time. My strategy has involved a combination of selling options and owning the stock as detailed in my previous article. In my opinion, nothing has fundamentally changed with the company in the last 14 days. On April 2nd, when I last reported on BlackBerry, the volatility in the stock was still on a post earnings report high. Since then, the stock has for the most part, meandered slightly lower. The chart below shows the price action between April 2nd when I sold covered calls on BlackBerry and the closing price on April 16th:

BBRY ChartBBRY data by YCharts

For those currently invested in BlackBerry, this is a time where if you believe as I do that the fundamental story has not changed in the last two weeks, you should sit tight and wait for the next catalyst. If you are trading BlackBerry without the intent to hold the stock for the long term, the present situation offers a slightly different outlook.

Bye-Bye BlackBerry Volatility - For Now

Anyone who has ever bought call or put options on a stock realizes that a range bound stock could lead to a complete loss on that option trade. When you outright buy stock options, you are generally looking for the stock whose options you now own, to have a sharp move in a relatively short period of time. The advantage to buying options is that you might just hit the jackpot and your potential gains are virtually unlimited. At the same time, you are as or more likely, to have your options expire worthless and lose your entire investment.

The last two weeks of price action in BlackBerry have played out favorable for anyone who sold covered call options on their BlackBerry stock shortly after earnings. As the stock has remained relatively range bound, the volatility has plummeted in the underlying option prices. The table below compares the stock and option prices as of April 2nd with the closing price as of April 16th. The option shown is the stock option I previously sold in my covered call trade on April 2nd.

Hopefully, the key figures in the table will jump out at you. In the time frame shown, the stock price has fallen close to 9%. However, the price of the $18 call option has fallen about 62%. As an investor in BlackBerry, I am not thrilled that the stock has dropped by 9% in the last few weeks. Thankfully, I also have been a trader as well as an investor, and have profited on the decline in the price of the call option I previously sold.

Prior to the close of trading on April 16th, I repurchased the $18 call options for $.35 that I had previously sold for $.90 on April 2nd. Excluding trading costs and taxes, this was effectively a 3% gain in two weeks ($.55 gain / $18 = 3%). While my investment in BlackBerry has declined by almost 9%, my trade produced a gain of 3%. Thus, I have an effective loss of 6%. This compares to those who simply were investing in the stock and have a 9% loss during the same period of time.

The detail above illustrates the potential offered by being both an investor and a trader. I believe there is a significant distinction between the two. However, combined they can complement your portfolio by potentially limiting losses or capitalizing on spikes in volatility that are temporary in nature.

The Next Move For Both The Investor And The Trader

As an investor, I continue to wait for the BlackBerry story to unfold. This investment presents, in some manner, a hiding spot from any turbulence that might come from an overall market correction. BlackBerry trades at a valuation of $7B today based solely on company specific concerns. If those concerns begin to dissipate, the stock should rise even if the broader market is correcting from its recent all time high. Conversely, if just the same concerns dogging the company today linger, a market wide correction should impact BlackBerry less than other stocks that will fall in concert with the market. It will take a black swan type event to alter the strength of the balance sheet currently enjoyed by BlackBerry. The company has a cash balance of $2.9B which is equivalent to about 40% of their current market capitalization. They also have zero debt. As an investor, I take complete solace in this fact. Unless the company has invested all of their cash in Cyprus bonds, nothing in the near term will occur to impact the safety net their cash balance offers in investing in the company.

As a trader, I await the next volatile event. It could be tomorrow, next week, or next month. The beauty is that I do not necessarily care when it occurs. Thanks to the recent drop in volatility, I own my shares free and clear after buying back the covered calls I previously sold. Between the upcoming launch of the keyboard Q10 model phone, updated analyst estimates on the company, and rumors regarding future phone models to come, I have no doubt that volatility will return. Until that time, I enjoy simply being an investor in the stock and await the return of volatility when I will again become a trader.
    04-17-13 08:48 PM
    You have to keep in mind the fees you have to pay when buying and selling.

In my case I pay $19/trade so that is $39 I have to make in profit just to cover trade fees.

So say I buy 10 shares at $13.91 = $139.10 + $19 = $158.10 Total Cost. So the 10 shares have really cost me $15.81 each to cover fees.

Now if I sell the shares at $16.69 I get $166.90 less the $19 trade fee = $147.92. So, even though the share price increased by 20% I still lost money ($10.18) because of the fees I paid buying and selling.

So you have to buy enough shares to make the cost of trades insignificant. Also, shares don't always go up. LoL
    This is so true. The only reason I was able to play all the swings was because my financial institution gives you 50 free trades when you open a brokerage account. With this i was able to go from 10 shares at $12.05 to what I have today. I was successful because there are several here that helped me out and had patience and understanding. I appreciate the friends I've made here.
    04-17-13 09:10 PM
    Not trying to get sentimental, but there's a lot going on this time of year (Mar-Apr) for me. Hard to believe it's already been 8 years since I lost a very good buddy. He didn't come home with us. Fallen Heroes Memorial: Army Staff Sgt. Shane M. Koele So I'm drinking a beer or two for him again tonight and a few others during these last two months. Makes me wonder how I made it home.
    04-17-13 09:54 PM
    Not trying to get sentimental, but there's a lot going on this time of year (Mar-Apr) for me. Hard to believe it's already been 8 years since I lost a very good buddy. He didn't come home with us. Fallen Heroes Memorial: Army Staff Sgt. Shane M. Koele So I'm drinking a beer or two for him again tonight and a few others during these last two months. Makes me wonder how I made it home.
    You can be as sentimental as you want, you've earned it.

You know, sometimes I read about the adventurous life military personnel have and I am jealous. But then I remember there is a price to pay for that adventure. Thanks to you and all your buddies for paying for the rest of us.

Good night.
    plane6065, lcjr and Compaqee like this.
    04-17-13 10:36 PM
    Good night my friend. I'm hitting the rack as well. Tomorrow's another day.
    04-17-13 10:51 PM
113,256 ... 701702703704705 ...