View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    No my friend. It's nowhere near bubble status.
    We, my friend, do not agree!

Good Morning to you!
    Charles Martin1 likes this.
    04-16-13 05:15 AM

Good Morning to you!
    Good morning.
    When you said we, who were you referring to? Just curious.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 05:26 AM
    Good morning.

Posted via CB10
    He was referencing himself and the author to whom he was responding (Charles Martin1).
    04-16-13 05:41 AM
    Morning folks, here's to another Interesting day
    04-16-13 05:42 AM
    Morning folks, here's to another Interesting day
    Yes indeed. Keep moving!
    04-16-13 06:03 AM
    BlackBerry: 3 Million BB10 Units For Breakeven In Q1 FY14 - Seeking Alpha

I smell green around the corner...mmmm yeah

I really wonder if there will be any analysts predicting red earnings for BBRY in Q1...let's hope
    04-16-13 06:12 AM

Good Morning to you!
    Freedom is such a wonderful thing... And we even get to profit from it.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-16-13 06:22 AM
    Quite the jump up in PM. Worries me a little as the trend is to do the opposite for the remainder of the day

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-16-13 06:29 AM
    Wonder if they are moving to Waterloo?

Apple Employees Are Sending Out Resumes Like Never Before (AAPL)
    Business Insider

Monday, April 15, 2013 3:28 PM GMT

A big part of being a Silicon Valley venture capitalist is helping portfolio startups recruit talented engineers and executives.

That means a lot of poaching from more established Valley technology companies.

For years, one company that VCs did not bother with much was Apple.

The company had a reputation for hanging onto its employees for decades despite minimal title inflation, lower pay, and fewer perks.

Apple's reputation is starting to change, two venture capitalists told us in recent days.

"More generally there is a growing level of dissatisfaction among Apple executives and employees, and a greater willingness to explore leaving," says one investor.

Another VC told us that his firm has recently seen a noticeable increase of resumes coming in from people at Apple.

After speaking with some of these job-seekers, this source says the cause for the increase is two-fold: startups are paying more and "Apple culture has started to change with the new leadership on top."

A month ago, top Apple reporter/analyst John Gruber of Daring Fireball said that retention has become "the single biggest problem that Apple faces, and almost nobody is talking about."

He said: "I think if there's going to be a problem coming up with big new things I think it's more likely a draining of really bright engineering and design talent at the rank and file level."

Gruber is a useful source on this topic, because he's very plugged-in with Apple employees, and he does not have a reputation for being an Apple alarmist.

Reached via email, Gruber says that in the month or so since he sounded the alarm, departures from Apple have not "accelerated."

"But it hasn’t slowed down either."

Gruber says: "The consensus among the people I’ve spoken to is that this is in no way a "rats leaving a sinking ship" scenario, but rather the inevitable churn of talented people capitalizing on the success of the company."

"Apple employees are in high demand, pure and simple. That’s why retention is going to be such a tricky problem for the company."

Apple PR declined to comment on this story.

04-16-13 06:45 AM
    It just keeps getting better and better . . . . . for a secure system.

After over 100k complaints in 90 days about software changing browser settings, Google details hardened ad policies

The Next Web

Monday, April 15, 2013 6:50 PM GMT

Google on Monday announced it is has had enough of downloadable software taking advantage of its advertising ecosystem. As such, the company is once again hardening its rules to prevent abuse, after noting that it found 17 percent fewer bad actors in 2012 than in the previous year thanks to increased enforcement and tightened policies.

On the other hand, Google says in the last 90 days it has seen over 100,000 complaints about software that changed users’ browser settings or about toolbars that they couldn’t uninstall. The company is fighting back.

These aren’t small requirements either. Google has updated its advertising policies and enforcement stating that software accessing its services must:
    Be pre-approved by Google.
    Offer one-click, complete uninstall.
    Provide clear, full disclosure and transparency to people about what is being installed and what changes are being made to their devices.
    Install itself on only one browser per download.
    Be bundled with and distributed by only reputable parties who comply with our policies.

Google says it has seen increased reports about all types of annoying software. If you’re the tech guru in your family, you’ve definitely seen software that: unexpectedly changes the default browser, search engine, or homepage; clutters up the browser and screen or interferes with the web browsing experience (such as by inserting ads); makes it very difficult to remove downloaded software or restore defaults; loads additional unwanted software applications; accesses personal information; and/or infects your machine with malware.

In other words, Google is looking to help both advertisers and users with this initiative, while also protecting its bottom line. That’s something few people can complain about.

These policy changes can’t stop software like this from existing, but they can help the overall situation. Google has enough weight to throw around that although it can’t stop the river from flowing, it can certainly slow it to a trickle.
    morganplus8 and Markymark 23 like this.
    04-16-13 06:51 AM
    Another nice finding on Malware for Android devices - up 200% last year.
    "94.8% of malware discovered in 2012 was designed to attack Android devices vs. only 4% targeting Symbian"
    http://www.nq.com/2012_NQ_Mobile_Security_Report.pdf
    bungaboy and Markymark 23 like this.
    04-16-13 06:56 AM
    One bad apple . . . . .
    (Un-named sources have been heard saying that Miller may now working for Detwiler Fenton under an alias)

Trader admits fraud in $1 billion Apple stock scheme
    Reuters

Monday, April 15, 2013 8:14 PM GMT

By Jonathan Stempel

(Reuters) - A former Rochdale Securities trader whose unauthorized purchase of about $1 billion of Apple Inc stock caused the demise of the financial services company pleaded guilty on Monday to wire fraud and conspiracy.

David Miller, 40, entered his guilty plea before U.S. Magistrate Judge Donna Martinez in Hartford, Connecticut.

Miller faces a maximum 25 years in prison when he is sentenced on July 8, but under a plea agreement he could receive a term of five to eight years. The Rockville Centre, New York resident is free on bond.

"What happened here was out of character for a kind and generous family man who has lived an otherwise law-abiding and good life," Miller's lawyer Kenneth Murphy said. "He deeply regrets what he has done and the harm it has caused to other people, including the former principals and employees at Rochdale."

The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filed a related civil fraud lawsuit against Miller on Monday.

Prosecutors said Miller bought 1.625 million Apple shares on October 25, 2012, the day the maker of iPads, iPods and iPhones planned to report third-quarter results, hoping to profit if the company's share price rose.

But they said Miller falsely told Rochdale that the trade was for a customer that had in fact ordered just 1,625 shares.

When the bet backfired, Rochdale was on the hook for $5.3 million of losses on the extra 1,623,375 shares, leaving the Stamford, Connecticut-based company undercapitalized, the SEC said in court papers.

According to prosecutors, Miller also defrauded another brokerage by inducing it to sell 500,000 Apple shares, hoping to partially hedge against the purchase he had made at Rochdale. Court papers did not identify the second brokerage.

The SEC said as a result of Miller's bets, Rochdale ceased operations and its staff left or was fired in November 2012. On February 25, Rochdale asked Connecticut, the SEC and other regulators to withdraw its registrations.

Rochdale is not a defendant in either case and was not accused of wrongdoing. Daniel Crowley, who had been Rochdale's president, could not be reached on Monday for comment.

At the time of the loss, Rochdale was the home of prominent banking analyst Richard Bove. He later joined Rafferty Capital Markets LLC.

The cases are U.S. v. Miller, U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut, No. 12-mj-00288; and SEC v. Miller in the same court, No. 13-00522.
    Markymark 23 likes this.
    04-16-13 06:57 AM
    Up 3+% in premarket!!!
    cjcampbell, bungaboy and m0de25 like this.
    04-16-13 06:57 AM
    Up 3+% in premarket!!!
    I was just going to post this. Over $14

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-16-13 07:01 AM
    One bad apple . . . . .
    (Un-named sources have been heard saying that Miller may now working for Detwiler Fenton under an alias)
    Now that makes sense...they never learn...
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-16-13 07:02 AM
    Another nice finding on Malware for Android devices - up 200% last year.
    "94.8% of malware discovered in 2012 was designed to attack Android devices vs. only 4% targeting Symbian"
    http://www.nq.com/2012_NQ_Mobile_Security_Report.pdf
    Strange that bungaboy's article above this one quotes:

As such, the company is once again hardening its rules to prevent abuse, after noting that it found 17 percent fewer bad actors in 2012 than in the previous year thanks to increased enforcement and tightened policies.
    So Malware increased 200%, but Google only found 87% of what it'd found the year before? That makes it sound like there's still another 113% over the previous year that they're clueless about.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-16-13 07:04 AM
    Up 3+% in premarket!!!
    Might be because of this ...
    BlackBerry checks show increased BB10 build plans, says Jefferies
    Jefferies said its channel checks in Asia indicate that build plans for BlackBerry's BB10 have steadily been increased since February. The firm said it learned that BB10 builds recently increased from two million per month to over two million, which it says brings confidence in its above-consensus May and August quarter estimates. Further, Jefferies said its checks indicate typical return rates for Z10. The firm keeps a Buy rating on the stock with a $22 price target.
    cjcampbell, bungaboy and m0de25 like this.
    04-16-13 07:04 AM
    Quite the jump up in PM. Worries me a little as the trend is to do the opposite for the remainder of the day

Posted via CB10
    Nah, I figured it should have climbed yesterday but with the negatives in the market it just barely breached the surface. I figure it's going to climb a bit today on some of the positive articles and simply on the fact that a lot of stopped out investors from yesterday will be making investments today...some of whom would likely put some in BBRY

At least that's what I am hoping.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-16-13 07:08 AM
    Good morning.

Posted via CB10
    Are you a little over sensitive of what. "WE" had nothing to do with you.
    04-16-13 07:13 AM
    Nah, I figured it should have climbed yesterday but with the negatives in the market it just barely breached the surface. I figure it's going to climb a bit today on some of the positive articles and simply on the fact that a lot of stopped out investors from yesterday will be making investments today...some of whom would likely put some in BBRY

At least that's what I am hoping.
    Actually ya, AAPL, GOOG, and NOK are all up to so it doesn't seem to be an isolated situation

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-16-13 07:14 AM
    Might be because of this ...
    BlackBerry checks show increased BB10 build plans, says Jefferies
    Jefferies said its channel checks in Asia indicate that build plans for BlackBerry's BB10 have steadily been increased since February. The firm said it learned that BB10 builds recently increased from two million per month to over two million, which it says brings confidence in its above-consensus May and August quarter estimates. Further, Jefferies said its checks indicate typical return rates for Z10. The firm keeps a Buy rating on the stock with a $22 price target.

Yes! Plus there's a really positive forward earnings estimate out that should help.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-16-13 07:14 AM
    Surely there should be a general market rebound as people recover from an over reaction yesterday?

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-16-13 07:15 AM
    Reasonable post.

4 Considerations As Bears Attack BlackBerry Shares

Apr 15 2013, 14:17 | 22 commentsby: Chris Lau | about: BBRY Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, but may initiate a long position in BBRY over the next 72 hours. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it (other than from Seeking Alpha). I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article. (More...)

The recent bearish attack on BlackBerry (BBRY) is making it a challenge for shareholders to ignore. Prior to the 7% decline in its shares last week, volatility for BlackBerry April put contracts rose on average by 18% on April 1st.. Implied volatility for put options with an exercise price between $8 and $12 was as high as 125%. Even though investing in BlackBerry requires a time horizon of several quarters, it is a good time to determine if the decline represents an opportunity to build a bigger position.

There are 4 things to consider after the recent bear attack on shares of BlackBerry.

1) Short Interest

Short volume continues to increase steadily. Bearishness declined briefly on January 31 2013 to 129.5 million shares, but rose after that. By March 28, short volume stood at 155.7 million shares:

After the BB10 device was announced, volume dropped. The lack of investor conviction, coupled with a decline in the share price, gave bears another opportunity to build a bet against BlackBerry shares.

2) Call/Put Option Activities

Call options are profitable if BlackBerry shares rise. Options with an exercise price of $17 and expiring on April 25, 2013 had a high open interest at 22,536. Bearish option prices rose the most for put options with an exercise price of $13. Despite high volatility for bearish options, open interest is still higher for the April call options, at 383,870 compared to 334,650 for puts.

3) Refutation of High Return Rate

A research report issued by Detwiler Fenton, an investment firm with a market capitalization of $370,710 and whose share price is USD $0.135, stated that:

We believe key retail partners have seen a significant increase in Z10 returns to the point where, in several cases, returns are now exceeding sales, a phenomenon we have never seen before.

BlackBerry and Verizon Wireless (VZ) both refuted the claim that there were a high number of BlackBerry 10 returns in the United States. Brenda Raney, a Verizon Wireless spokesperson, said that:

"The quality performance of the Z10 has been in line with similar devices we've launched."

To minimize the impact towards future BB10 orders in the United States, BlackBerry's CEO said:

Return-rate statistics show that we are at, or below, our forecasts and right in line with the industry

The Chief Legal Officer of BlackBerry also added:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about the merits of the many competing products in the smartphone industry, but when false statements of material fact are deliberately purveyed for the purpose of influencing the markets a red line has been crossed.

4) Marketing

Bearish data from research firms suggested that advertising for BlackBerry's BB10 was ineffective. MKM surveyed 1,500 customers for three weeks after BB10 was launched in the U.S. The firm reported that only 32% of the respondents were aware of the new phone. Raymond James also reported negative figures. The firm found that 71% would never buy a BlackBerry device.

The research figures are negative, but is subject to change, due to marketing activities that are only beginning to ramp up. Even though it could illustrate that BlackBerry has much work to do in marketing BB10 in the U.S., the smartphone maker could look at ways to increase its visibility at carrier storefronts. BlackBerry already said that it is raising its marketing budget significantly to increase awareness of the new product.

Another data point to consider is the impact that musician Alicia Keys, Chief Creative Director for BlackBerry, could have on sales. Extrapolating fan data from various social media sites, it is possible to estimate the positive impact the artist will have on sales in the first year. If investors assume Alicia Keys could convert between 0.5% and 2% of her fan base to a BB10 sale, BlackBerry could generate nearly $100 million in sales:

Alicia Keys
    # Fans
    Reaction to BlackBerry-Related Post
    Average Reaction
    Effectiveness
    BB10 Sales Conversion
    BB10 Sales

Facebook
    18.8%
    0.50%

Twitter
    47.7%
    2.00%

Google+
    33.2%
    1.00%

Total:
    28.8%
    Unit Total: 158,119

Revenue @ $600/ unit

Notes:

a "reaction" is counted as the sum of a re-tweet, share, marked as favorite, or a "plus 1" where applicable.
    Estimated conversion takes into account likelihood of a click-through

Conclusion

It is difficult for investors with a long position on BlackBerry to ignore the bearish trading pattern in the stock price of BlackBerry shares. BlackBerry rose irrationally to $18 prior to the BB10 launch, only to sell off on the news. Speculators are favoring more bearish attacks on the company en masse, as indicated by the short float being at nearly one-third. Fundamentally, nothing has changed for BlackBerry. The company improved its operational efficiency last quarter to ensure that it is capable of responding to the fluctuating demand for BB10. Advertising spend is aggressive: the main challenge for the firm will be to reverse the negative sentiment of the company specifically in the U.S. In the current quarter, the keyboard-based Q10 set to be released. Along with the number of apps growing daily, and a conscious effort by management to quell false rumors, BlackBerry shares remain a buy as prices fall.
    04-16-13 07:18 AM
    Surely there should be a general market rebound as people recover from an over reaction yesterday?

Posted via CB10

Yeah, some is al ready headed back into gold and silver...I hope a lot more comes our way.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-16-13 07:19 AM
    Thought I would post the chart for this morning's trade:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-april-16-2013-chart.jpg

It is really simple, we are about to breakout of a small flag formation to the upside here, we formed this in the past 3 days and now we need to fill the gap left from the 50-dma downward. And so the pop should take us to the 50-dma at around $ 14.50/shr. The news has been crazy, I knew something bad had happened when we were breaking out of the $ 13.80/shr resistance late yesterday afternoon, and suddenly, it fell like a stone. Today, we have the market rallying off some important lows but this market will be watching for signs of additional problems and so let's not get too excited here. Seems there is plenty of good news for BlackBerry lately and have you noticed the complete lack of shorts and bashing these last couple of days? Its as if the market knows that all trades made in the last couple of months are going to get traced back to the funds and lawsuits might be arriving at their door soon. We might just be seeing the end of constant bashing and a more normal TA trading environment going forward. This is good timing as there will be some great news hitting the market within the next 2 weeks including the DoD. GL
    04-16-13 07:21 AM
113,250 ... 686687688689690 ...