View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Have a great weekend errrybody. I'm feelin good that BB has responded, very good! What an interesting week, next week will be another ride!

Wow...that is wonderful!! You got skills Kid.
    bungaboy, Bugmapper and lcjr like this.
    04-12-13 07:31 PM
    04-12-13 07:46 PM
    Pretty balanced Bloomberg news item.

m0de25, lcjr, helopilot06 and 9 others like this.
    04-12-13 08:12 PM
    Have a great weekend everyone...next week we rock and roll this thing! So here is a country song for ya lol:

bungaboy, sparkaction and lcjr like this.
    04-12-13 08:32 PM
    Pretty balanced Bloomberg news item.

Great find, the guy did an admirable job laying things out. Thanks for sharing!
    FocusedBerry and bungaboy like this.
    04-12-13 08:41 PM
    Here is a short song: lol
    or at minimum a Detwiler tune

lcjr likes this.
    04-12-13 09:51 PM
    Have a great weekend errrybody. I'm feelin good that BB has responded, very good! What an interesting week, next week will be another ride!

You live in Vancouver too eh!
    plane6065 likes this.
    04-12-13 11:56 PM
    This is what it's all about . . . . . Truthful honest journalism.

BlackBerry fights back!

By Joe Wilcox
    Published 18 hours ago

BlackBerry fights back!

As a journalist, I see lots of rumor stories and so-called analyses that send shivers down my spine. I just know that someone looks to benefit from information that moves some company's stock price. I'm not an investor, knowing that any of my legitimate news stories can affect a public company's shares; it's ethical protocol, too, not to invest in companies you write about. Often manipulation is obvious, but hard to prove. So with great interest I watch BlackBerry's aggressive response to stock shattering news unleashed by an analyst firm yesterday. I make no accusations of wrongdoing. BlackBerry already has.

Shares of the Canadian smartphone and tablet maker plunged about 8 percent yesterday after reports of high BlackBerry Z10 returns. "In several cases, returns are now exceeding sales, a phenomenon we have never seen before", Detwiler Fenton claims. BlackBerry's response is swift and shows just how dramatically different is the leadership under CEO Thorsten Heins. The company asks the Securities and Exchange Commission and Ontario Securities Commission to investigate the "false and misleading report".

Brazen Response

The report, whether or not true, hurts BlackBerry. The once great smartphone maker is a fallen star looking to rise, and Z10 is the engine. Word of high returns can hurt sales, if people or partners considering the Z10 lose confidence in BlackBerry and question whether the company will even be in business a year from now. The implications of high returns is much bigger than the share price. As I repeatedly assert: In business perception is everything.

Heins takes control with a no-nonsense denial that sets a different perception:

Sales of the BlackBerry Z10 are meeting expectations and the data we have collected from our retail and carrier partners demonstrates that customers are satisfied with their devices. Return rate statistics show that we are at or below our forecasts and right in line with the industry. To suggest otherwise is either a gross misreading of the data or a willful manipulation. Such a conclusion is absolutely without basis and BlackBerry will not leave it unchallenged.

I'm used to company non-denial denials that are meant to do PR damage control but don't answer the accusation at hand. Heins stands out for clarity that suggests something isn't right with the high-returns report. "Right in line with the industry" and "gross misreading of the data or a willful manipulation" are unambiguous statements and the latter likely to come back to BlackBerry if libelous. You don't publicly suggest or outright accuse a financial analyst firm of "willful manipulation" unless you're a fool or confident you're right.

"These materially false and misleading comments about device return rates in the United States harm BlackBerry and our shareholders, and we call upon the appropriate authorities in Canada and the United States to conduct an immediate investigation", Steve Zipperstein, BlackBerry chief legal officer, says. "Everyone is entitled to their opinion about the merits of the many competing products in the smartphone industry, but when false statements of material fact are deliberately purveyed for the purpose of influencing the markets a red line has been crossed".

Verizon sides with BlackBerry refuting high return rates.

Hidden Conflicts

One of my big gripes with financial or trade analysts is outright conflict of interest -- the kind journalists are ethically bound to avoid. Many analyst reports read as neutral assessments, but the companies in question also often are clients. In the case of Wall Streeters, the flipside could be true, where clients are competitors of companies they report about or investors in rivals. Some analysts publicly disclose corporate client lists, but most do not -- and no investment firm would expose its list of individual investors and where they place their money.

But that's a somewhat unfair assessment. BlackBerry has huge vested interest in disputing reports of high Z10 returns, so there's a different kind of conflict of interest. Sadly, trust no one, is a good journalist's motto.

Whenever there is any analyst report, rumor or leak about public company, my first question always is: "Who benefits?" That's absolutely the measure here. Who benefits from Detwiler Fenton's report. That's a question a formal SEC or OSC investigation could answer. How BlackBerry benefits from the aggressive response is obvious.

There are many reasons why BetaNews runs so few rumor stories or why I often qualify those that rely on analyst data. As journalists, we have a responsibility to not only report as accurately as possible but to be mindful the impact any story can have on publicly-traded companies like BlackBerry. We don't make editorial decisions based on whether or not X or Y story might hurt or help some company, but, rather, knowing such might be the case make extra diligence to be as accurate as possible based on what we know to be true at the time of writing. We have a responsibility to our readers and to those entities about which we write.

They make me Puke

I'm bloody sick of the "post first, get the facts right later" attitude that is so common across blogs and some news sites. The practice enables people that spread rumors or write false reports for the purpose of manipulating some company's share price. BlackBerry's gripe is with one analyst report, which may or may not prove to be true. But the dispute spotlights a much larger problem of stock manipulation that bloggers, journalists and other writers enable.

Just because so-and-so says something is true doesn't mean it is. Or worse that many people say something is true -- the latter is the echo chamber of falsehood so many blogs, news sites and social networks foster. The practice is worst when Blog A reports rumor B and sites C through Z re-report without ever confirming the veracity via independent sources.

Someone here lies. BlackBerry and Detwiler Fenton both can't be right about Z10 return rates. But that's another story.
    04-13-13 05:01 AM
    Well gentlemen it has been a difficult week of trading for us crackberrians but I'm still just as confident in BBRY as I was 3 months ago when I first bought my shares. Yes I have been in the red since we peaked pretty much but still it has been great. I wish I had more time to spend on here draining your collective knowledge. But between the new baby, the 200 hrs of over time, and trying to sleep every once in awhile lol, I feel like I have fallen behind. Anyways I won't be posting as much but ill be trying to check in when I can at work. Keep the faith y'all and hang in there. Have a great weekend all.
    04-13-13 05:10 AM
    shout out to you for getting out before the SHTF....nice move!
    TBH, the Magic 8 Ball always plays a role in my most important decisions.
    jxnb likes this.
    04-13-13 06:51 AM
    Well gentlemen it has been a difficult week of trading for us crackberrians but I'm still just as confident in BBRY as I was 3 months ago when I first bought my shares. Yes I have been in the red since we peaked pretty much but still it has been great. I wish I had more time to spend on here draining your collective knowledge. But between the new baby, the 200 hrs of over time, and trying to sleep every once in awhile lol, I feel like I have fallen behind. Anyways I won't be posting as much but ill be trying to check in when I can at work. Keep the faith y'all and hang in there. Have a great weekend all.
    I am still confident in the company but I have to admit that I have become increasingly concerned with the manipulation. There are deep pockets that are helping to manipulate BBRY and while many of these articles have little to no credibility, they are simply a front to the manipulative selling that takes place.

Cramer once described the stock manipulation process very well and even used RIMM as an example of what was once a prime target.

http://m.wimp.com/manipulatingmarket/

Sadly, even as BBRY, Wall Street is still manipulating the heck out of this company's stock and one now has to wonder if and when it will stop or, God forbid, if it will increase.
    m0de25, zyben, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    04-13-13 07:04 AM
    TBH, the Magic 8 Ball always plays a role in my most important decisions.
    Can I borrow said magic 8 ball?
    04-13-13 07:20 AM
    Can I borrow said magic 8 ball?
    Wish I had magic balls too.
    04-13-13 07:46 AM
    Wish I had magic balls too.
    I had to read these posts twice. My first quick read, I was confused why a bunch of guys wishing to have Charles's balls. Lol

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-13-13 08:21 AM
    I am drinking this right now.

Attachment 150651

Edit: on third one. And second glass of red wine.

Posted via CB10
    I have the same brick surrounding my Vermont Castings wood stove at my cottage.
    plasmid_boy likes this.
    04-13-13 09:01 AM
    I have the same brick surrounding my Vermont Castings wood stove at my cottage.
    I guess great minds have similar tastes?

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-13-13 09:08 AM
    Sorry guys... I tried... will try installing again through the weekend. Have a good one!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-spring.jpg
    04-13-13 09:47 AM
    I had to read these posts twice. My first quick read, I was confused why a bunch of guys wishing to have Charles's balls. Lol

Posted via CB10
    Somebody else is having trouble with their balls . . . . . .

Tiger Woods gets two-shot penalty for ball drop violation at Masters
    04-13-13 09:55 AM
    Sorry guys... I tried... will try installing again through the weekend. Have a good one!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spring.jpg 
Views:	928 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	150775
    LoL. Woke up to 4" of snow on the ground this morning.
    04-13-13 09:56 AM
    LoL. Woke up to 4" of snow on the ground this morning.
    Things will get better by the Q10 launch
    04-13-13 11:48 AM
    Things will get better by the Q10 launch
    Yup! Then I will have me a BBQ!
    plane6065 and CDM76 like this.
    04-13-13 12:27 PM
    weather forecast in Canada looks bad. Almost no difference between temperatures north/south. Winter has gone in Germany, up to 25�C tomorrow
    I think we will regain the losses next week, because people will realize how desperate Detwiler�s attempts putting pressure on the stock really are.
    Adding gold and silver (physical) to my losses, that week was horrible. I hope the bearish trend of the metals isn�t an evidence for the future development of the market.
    Hold on and have a good weekend.
    04-13-13 12:37 PM
    Nasty little headline here, this could be a big news story this week

Rotting BlackBerry - m.NYPOST.com
    04-13-13 02:13 PM
    Sounds like a rather lucrative business with very little downside...heck the fine could be looked at as a tax rate but they're rarely hit with it.
    04-13-13 02:37 PM
    These one off store checks have to stop " A Verizon store in Bayside " Boy did he ever put in a pile of research friggin A hole

Nasty little headline here, this could be a big news story this week

Rotting BlackBerry - m.NYPOST.com
    04-13-13 02:37 PM
113,256 ... 672673674675676 ...