View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Capital loss = save on taxes! (Yes if you gain it back u pay in current year but u can defer losses till a later year when u are being ttaxed higher)
    Wash loss rule eliminates that, I believe....
    gohan_bcc likes this.
    04-12-13 02:22 PM
    My thanks button is missing but I appreciate the response. I hear ya, but my thoughts are if I buy in lower and the SP goes real high in the future, wouldn't I be better off if my average was $13.65 instead of $17.08??
    If you sell X number now for (let's say) $13. You'll have $13X money.
    Now, if you buy them back at $13 (unless it goes down even further): You'll still have X (same) number of shares. Actually, you'll have slightly less because of transaction fee etc. Your umber of shares won't increase. Neither will your profit.

But yeah, if you sell now at $13 and it goes down to $12 and you re-buy; you'd have increased your shares; and potential profit.
    lcjr and cjcampbell like this.
    04-12-13 02:24 PM
    We need to not get our hopes up as nothing will come of this SEC investigation. Either way what will it really change?
    04-12-13 02:24 PM
    Sorry. Just really ticked off.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-12-13 02:25 PM
    Amazing! 100% support for the analyst.
    Just so you know, the first "analyst" was charged criminally run out of the business and banned in shame for the dot.com bubble. He was prosecuted by...wait for it..Elliot Spitzer.... Only in America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Blodget
    zyben, bungaboy and Bugmapper like this.
    04-12-13 02:26 PM
    My thanks button is missing but I appreciate the response. I hear ya, but my thoughts are if I buy in lower and the SP goes real high in the future, wouldn't I be better off if my average was $13.65 instead of $17.08??
    If you sold now, then rebought at a lower level than that and aquired more shares in the process, then yes, but you still realized a loss. Now I suppose, as mentioned, you could use that loss against your taxes but that would make more sense in the thousands, not hundreds. Now psycholicaly it would seem better because you'd be "green" at anything above now but your share ownership never rose so your overall value would remain unchanged.
    lcjr likes this.
    04-12-13 02:26 PM
    We need to not get our hopes up as nothing will come of this SEC investigation. Either way what will it really change?
    Nothing, its just nice they fired a shot across the bow, might stop further bs?
    La Emperor and bungaboy like this.
    04-12-13 02:27 PM
    Your average will not be 13.65.

If you are thinking in that direction, sell at let's say 14, and buy back at 13.50.
    Then you will be reducing your average. I have been doing that for that past couple of days with around 4500 shares, which are at approx the same average as yours. And reducing my average price.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-12-13 02:28 PM
    If you sell X number now for (let's say) $13. You'll have $13X money.
    Now, if you buy them back at $13 (unless it goes down even further): You'll still have X (same) number of shares. Actually, you'll have slightly less because of transaction fee etc. Your umber of shares won't increase. Neither will your profit.

But yeah, if you sell now at $13 and it goes down to $12 and you re-buy; you'd have increased your shares; and potential profit.
    That's my thoughts. I'm assuming the SP will drop after I sell. And it wouldn't take much to make up $4xx dollars.
    04-12-13 02:28 PM
    Damn VZ just came out backing up Blackberry, Breaking News on CNBC.
    cjcampbell, spike12, lcjr and 6 others like this.
    04-12-13 02:29 PM
    Because of the wash loss rule,and the transaction costs and IRS hassle, I think it is a zero sum game. It would sound like you had more "profit" but you'd also have more capital gains. If you were talking 10's or 100's of thousands of dollars there are some nuances, but it our range, it is generally better not to go thru the whole process.

Fool.com: Tax Loss Rules for Selling Stock
    lcjr likes this.
    04-12-13 02:30 PM
    Somebody stole my "Thanks" button. lol
    04-12-13 02:31 PM
    Wow ! $40 eh?....Enjoy those shrimp!
    Shouldn't that be "Enjoy A shrimp"? LoL
    Bugmapper likes this.
    04-12-13 02:37 PM
    cnbc mentioned breifly that, verizon says z10 returns not true
    bungaboy and Charles Martin1 like this.
    04-12-13 02:37 PM
    Unbelievable how they defend the analyst, and laugh like its all a big joke

Amazing! 100% support for the analyst.
    04-12-13 02:38 PM
    Not in Canada. If you purchase within 30 days you have a superficial loss and you can't claim that for capital loss. You can however add the "Loss" to the cost of your new purchase and thus when you sell next time. And don't repurchase, you can claim a capital loss.

Posted via CB10
    Same in the USA. Also remember that a loss is to be adjusted on purchases 30 days before or after the loss.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 02:41 PM
    Somebody stole my "Thanks" button. lol
    Mine disappears from time to time as well. I am positive it is not user error in either case!!
    lcjr likes this.
    04-12-13 02:41 PM
    There seems to be a push at the end here. I hope it can hold for the last minutes....
    04-12-13 02:43 PM
    Maybe nothing (actually probably nothing). But hopefully it will make other analysts at least think twice before throwing out blatant lies... if what they say is true then they have nothing to fear.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-12-13 02:47 PM
    Sorry. Just really ticked off.

Posted via CB10
    And most of us too. We can relate.
    04-12-13 02:50 PM
    I lived in Sandhausen Germany which was a 3 minute bicycle ride from Hockenheim. I was there from June 07 to July 2012.
    Ok, quite recent. Just asked as am a big F1 fan. Before the chicanes were put in, the racers would be racing wheel to wheel at 320kph (200mph) on1 mile straights twice each lap. The great Jim Clark (widely considered to be the greatest driver of all time) was killed there.
    04-12-13 02:53 PM
    7 minutes till freeeeeedom.

On another note damn you TSX & Energy. Down like 10 grand hah. Maybe I should be more concerned about that vs my 300 loss on BB haha

Edit: On another note just put a down deposit on my new baby <3

Meet Stacey
    cjcampbell, bungaboy and DREXcb like this.
    04-12-13 02:53 PM
    Maybe nothing (actually probably nothing). But hopefully it will make other analysts at least think twice before throwing out blatant lies... if what they say is true then they have nothing to fear.
    Maybe so but this stuff happens all the time. It just caught BBRY in a sensitive time and like I said not much they can do about it now. All of BBRY's woes is not just this, there are many other factors driving it's value down.
    04-12-13 02:54 PM
    2/24000 on the buy side will keep this thing propped up to at least $13.55 Thank god!

In and out and did it's job. Yeah for keeping this thing from sliding any further.
    cjcampbell and m0de25 like this.
    04-12-13 02:58 PM
    100-dma is new support
    04-12-13 03:02 PM
113,256 ... 669670671672673 ...