View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Perhaps this story is causing the drop this am http://seekingalpha.com/currents/pos...rt_mc_readmore

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 09:55 AM
    So let me get this straight, positive ER, analyst upgrades, the company having no debt and sitting on a pile of cash mean nothing to the stock price, but some gossip about returns exceeding sales (which is factually impossible) drives this thing 5% down. This is one messed up stock. I just don't get it.

Many investors are awaiting facts that would demonstrate a solid turnaround but without any data BBRY is simply prey for the short dogs. A headline like this one is nightmarish for some and this is the result.

I really believe that things won't be convincing about BlackBerry's turnaround until the September ER.
    MrBurns2U likes this.
    04-11-13 09:55 AM
    There's nothing in BB10 and the Z10 which would make me return the phone. Being a long time BB user, I have experience a lot issues with recently released phones and the Z10 doesn't even fall into that category. There is also the fear that if you're an early adopter, you will experience the first glitches of the OS/phone, but I haven't seen any that are widespread or which would prompt BB to release a quick update to fix the issue or recall hardware (remember the 9900 faulty circuit?). BB10.1 is coming soon, so any bugs and major updates will addressed then.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-11-13 09:56 AM
    Can any of you americans stop by a couple of verizon stores or call and see if there's any truth to this story?
    04-11-13 09:56 AM
    How can you guys be so calm while your investment just took a major 5% hit on basically a rumor? Shouldn't we be all very concerned with BBRY prospects? I know I am.
    It's only 5%, that's really why.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-11-13 09:58 AM
    No disrespect... but it sounds like you should not be an early adopter of a new OS, or maybe should have waited for the Q10.
    I do agree with the poster. The Playbook has similar small niggles - relatively easy fixes or enhancements that I have tried to point out several times. I found it actually very difficult to contact the company (at the time I could find no way to actually speak to anyone there or even email suggestions. (I was beyond my 90 day support).

Blackberry still needs to be more responsive to the users - you can post on forums (even on the official support forums) but it seems they don't listen to the small little things that would really make alot of users happy.
    04-11-13 10:00 AM
    It's a newbie mistake to trade high volatility stocks directionally. If you don't know what you're doing or if you have little trading experience, you could easily be wiped out. BBRY is a great long-term play if you believe in its comeback potential, but to try to reason out each and every uptick and downtick of each and every trading minute of each and every day is a bit of a folly.

I feel that the BBRY shorts have become a formidable lobby. Headlines are now approaching a truly despicable tone: How can any individual or company be proud of publishing a headline that touts Blackberry as a winner and, after ellipses, states that it won in a negative poll? That's just dirty-rotten. And what exactly did this poll say and whom did the pollsters ask? This is not newsworthy and is tantamount to a farce.

Users tend to love what they know and why on earth would any Apple fan or Android fan go out of their way to learn what's great about BB10 and then make the switch? Why are so many people surprised that people aren't switching to Blackberry? I think this BBRY recovery story is not going to unfold based on taking existing business away from Apple and Android (and I refer to the company Apple as owner of iOS and "Android" to refer generally to all Android-powered phones regardless of manufacturer)--it's about selling to new users (people, such as kids, who will own a phone for the first time or people who, for whatever reason, are new to having a cell phone). With respect to existing Apple/Android phone users, I don't expect much conversion to Blackberry until such users meet someone who actually uses a BB10 device and can actually sit and learn from them what makes the device so great. It's sort of like if you really like your toaster and it works reliably and does what you expect it to do (i.e., toasts bread) then why would you go out of your way to see what other toasters are out there in the market and switch to a new toaster? The only reason you might do this is if you're trying to save money (say, by upgrading to a more energy-efficient toaster) or if you discover that new toasters have a feature you really love, such as auto-sensing the cooking process so that you can place break thawed or frozen into it and obtain the same results without any fuss. But unless a salesperson teaches you this or you see it on an ad or in a blog, you won't even know that there is a toaster that can toast bread in such a way. It's going to take time for Blackberry's greatest BB10 features to get out there into the general cell-phone using population.

For example, I went to T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T stores and sadly the salespeople in all stores I visited knew almost nothing about the Z10 (in some cases, the salesperson I first spoke to didn't even know what a "Z10" is!). They aren't trained well enough to advise a walk-in customer who might be buying a phone for the first time. In my local Verizon store, a confused but inquisitive and apparently discerning septuagenarian customer asked what phone she should get and the salesperson gave the knee-jerk "iPhone" response. When she asked why he said "because Apple stands behind their products and it's easy to use". I had hoped the customer would have understood that this is just sales-speak, but she devoured the response with an enthusiastic "Oh, okay! Then Apple it is!" This is the unfortunate and probably biggest problem facing Blackberry: It's so new and revolutionary yet because it has little market share many of its fine innovations are not being investigated and certainly are not being promoted by the thousands of salespeople who interact with potential customers every day.

My personal opinion is that the people who will buy the Z10/Q10 phones are--by and large--going to be more serious users who are either educated professionals, those who need/want a fantastic predictive virtual keyboard or a time-tested physical keyboard, and those who already know that Blackberry makes highly reliable devices that excel and handling messaging and are specially designed to meet the unusual requirements of corporate enterprise environments. And I expect great news once the Q10 is out: One thing people aren't talking (yet) about is that the Q10 is likely to have an industry-leading battery life: just think about it--without the full screen used by the Z10 (and any other smartphone on the market that has a full-phone display), the Q10's battery will power a much smaller display that is sure to draw far less battery power (the backlit physical keyboard's power requirements are virtually nil).

The most important thing to remember is that this story is not about convincing or persuading existing iOS or Android device users that they drop what they're using and buy a Blackberry device instead. It's about selling a spanking-new device to existing Blackberry-device users who likely can't wait to get their hands on one, being able to attract new brand-new smartphone users or existing users who just might be disenchanted with their existing iPhone or Android devices (there are such users!), and selling to people who are very passionate and particular about technology and software ergonomics to realize that Blackberry's BB10 is truly superb in that it was conceived meticulously from the ground-up to address the demanding needs of cell phone users who also need to manage potentially dozens of messages in a unified, gesture-based software environment that's fluid, responsive, and modern.

When you consider all of the above, it's just silly to wager bets on what BBRY is going to do in three minutes or in the next trading session or how it's going to reach to some ridiculous story published by a BBRY bear. Buy stock or long-dated calls, sit back, and relax. This story is likely to unfold like a great novel that is entertaining, tortuous, and ultimately ends well.
    Last edited by YangFui; 04-18-13 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Grammar
    04-11-13 10:01 AM
    Can someone explain how returns could possibly exceed sales? Is that just a poorly worded quote?
    I think the author is suggesting that the number of returns of the Z10, from a prior reference period, is exceeding current sales of Z10. Thus, currently (maybe for this week or month) there is a net loss of Z10 sales.

Posted via CB10
    tygros likes this.
    and waste money in court, there are no basis for a lawsuit as no laws have been broken. Freedom of the press like it or not

I hope blackberry or someone responds to this. I also would like to see blackberry take some of these people to court.
    Well, amid all of the excitement today I don't think that we should overlook that morganplus8 has just been recognized as one of the "Top Thanked" crackberrians.

Well done M8 and thanks for all of the TA. It's very helpful.
    04-11-13 10:02 AM
    There's nothing in BB10 and the Z10 which would make me return the phone. Being a long time BB user, I have experience a lot issues with recently released phones and the Z10 doesn't even fall into that category. There is also the fear that if you're an early adopter, you will experience the first glitches of the OS/phone, but I haven't seen any that are widespread or which would prompt BB to release a quick update to fix the issue or recall hardware (remember the 9900 faulty circuit?). BB10.1 is coming soon, so any bugs and major updates will addressed then.
    Same here. I'm sitting here looking at my z10 and it blows my mind this stock is trading below book value. My only gripe is not being able to set multiple alarms. That's it.
    04-11-13 10:02 AM
    and waste money in court, there are no basis for a lawsuit as no laws have been broken. Freedom of the press like it or not
    intent has to be established...among a host of other things....
    04-11-13 10:03 AM
    No disrespect... but it sounds like you should not be an early adopter of a new OS, or maybe should have waited for the Q10.
    Agreed +1

Posted from my Z10. via CB10
    04-11-13 10:05 AM
    How can you guys be so calm while your investment just took a major 5% hit on basically a rumor? Shouldn't we be all very concerned with BBRY prospects? I know I am.
    It was exactly that...a rumor. You make money by keeping a cool head when the masses are in panic mode. When solid data or an announcement is made what will you say when it moves 15-20%? You must have heard of the short position. Just as you want the price to rise they want it to fall. If the fundamental reason you bought the stock has changed then get out and spare your heart the pressure. This stock was in the $6,7,8 range...what is it now? Doubled in under a year with many more possible doubles to come....when you take your $ out where will you put it that will give you a shot @ that?

Stay long. Ignore the noise

Dreaming of becoming rich in a day or a month...try the lottery.
    04-11-13 10:06 AM
    What should they do? What laws have been broken? Please be specific. You should invest elsewhere if you think it is a joke. I really think we are OK and the rest of the world seems to agree. The market is for big boys and girls, if you determine or believe a rumor is false, then its a great money making opportunity. Either way, the market is what it is and I don't like what happens sometiems, but understand how it all works. Investors should too before they put their money into the market.
    First of all you don't know what you are talking about. I almost hate to talking to puppets of propaganda. Why would BIG BOY RICH Prem Watsa delist from the US exchange?

Tell me why would prem watsa do this? I guess he is not a boy boy investor like you.

Fairfax Financial delisting shares from NYSE - The Globe and Mail

Time to Delist from the US exchange.
    04-11-13 10:12 AM
    I hope blackberry or someone responds to this. I also would like to see blackberry take some of these people to court.
    For what? Should the shorts sue Kevin for tweeting that he heard Q10 pre-orders are great?
    04-11-13 10:12 AM
    Added to my position during the dips. Nothing has changed with BlackBerry. The rumour means nothing to me.
    04-11-13 10:13 AM
    It seems to me that phones owned by businesses big and small as well as the US government are counted into BB's 5.4% USA market share. When I was working for the Canadian govt my phone was on Rogers . In other words I don't think there is a big hidden market there ready and waiting to be tapped.

I think that the Q10 will ensure BB's relevance in the business market but still the predominant phone especially in the USA market will be the Iphone. In the UK particularly , employees are given cheap BB devices. BB has said that the new R model would not be offered in the USA. That would be a mistake. I think that business and govt users would be interested in the new reasonably priced up-sized Curve. Until then, the best way and perhaps the only way for BB to make gains in the USA business market would be to subsidize their phones to large customers. BB lost the ability to dictate their pricing two or more years ago. It would take a big security calamity to stop the BYOD trend now. Employees are like consumers, if given a choice the majority would prefer a touch screen phone . Lastly, my daughter and son in law work for large corporations that are "all in" Blackberry. Their employers replace phones if they are broken not en-mass. Many are still waiting to see if BB can get past this year.
    Sorry, I guess I should have said "that is the reason why we will not see the big enterprise sales numbers until the Q10 is released". You are very correct that the corporate and government sales are counted in the market share and individual workers have a lot of choice as to when to purchase/upgrade. However, as an example, BB10 devices are not yet approved for Canadian government use, and I'm sure that won't happen until the Q10 is released - at the earliest.
    04-11-13 10:16 AM
    Just twitter chatter so far, but twitter livestream search is often eerily accurate at predicting news.
    Creating news . . . . .
    04-11-13 10:17 AM
    First of all you don't know what you are talking about. I almost hate to talking to puppets of propaganda. Why would BIG BOY RICH Prem Watsa delist from the US exchange?

Tell me why would prem watsa do this? I guess he is not a boy boy investor like you.

Fairfax Financial delisting shares from NYSE - The Globe and Mail
    OK, I will tell you, in HIS OWN WORDS. We know why he chose to delist, he told us and it has NOTHING to do with any tin foil hat manipulation theories.
    He doesn't cite fraud or manipulation, only that the need for and administrative costs for being listed there is not worth it. Fairfax is a relative newcomers to the NYSE having only been listed for 7 years.

"After our recent privatization of Odyssey Re, Fairfax now wholly owns all of its primary businesses and is the largest property and casualty insurance company based in Canada, with worldwide operations in over 50 countries," chief executive officer Prem Watsa said in a news release Thursday. "While our decentralized operations have global reach, after reviewing the factors relevant to our continued listing on the NYSE, we determined that our company and its shareholders will be better served by the simplified focus and lower cost resulting from the maintenance of only our original TSX listing."
    "In recent years, as markets have become significantly more global and liquid, our constituents, including shareholders and employees, no longer require multiple listings," Mr. Watsa said.
    peter9477 and matthewriedle like this.
    04-11-13 10:17 AM
    Creating news . . . . .
    Yes, very likely to be catalytic rather than prophetic.
    04-11-13 10:22 AM
    OK, I will tell you, in HIS OWN WORDS. We know why he chose to delist, he told us and it has NOTHING to do with any tin foil hat manipulation theories.
    He doesn't cite fraud or manipulation, only that the need for and administrative costs for being listed there is not worth it. Fairfax is a relative newcomers to the NYSE having only been listed for 7 years.

"After our recent privatization of Odyssey Re, Fairfax now wholly owns all of its primary businesses and is the largest property and casualty insurance company based in Canada, with worldwide operations in over 50 countries," chief executive officer Prem Watsa said in a news release Thursday. "While our decentralized operations have global reach, after reviewing the factors relevant to our continued listing on the NYSE, we determined that our company and its shareholders will be better served by the simplified focus and lower cost resulting from the maintenance of only our original TSX listing."
    "In recent years, as markets have become significantly more global and liquid, our constituents, including shareholders and employees, no longer require multiple listings," Mr. Watsa said.
    SAC Capital Beats Prem Watsa in Court - Insider Monkey

We know they are crooks
    SAC Capital Partners PM Arrested on Insider Trading Charges

I don't think you understand reality. i'm sorry.
    Acumenight likes this.
    04-11-13 10:25 AM
    I expect that we'll see slightly cheaper opportunities to scoop some more soon. There's bound to be spin-off headlines to sink this further.

Another good thing is that there will likely be even more shorts!
    04-11-13 10:25 AM
    Hey guys, just a fast pop : stay.calm. Don't panic, but don't jump on it either.
    Keep your plan in mind, mine (this thread's initial purpose) is years ahead.
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-keepcalm.png  
    04-11-13 10:27 AM
    I was hoping for a more supportive response when I expressed my legitimate worries about our investment plunging the way it did this morning. Instead, I read one condescending response after another. Way to be supportive, trolls. It's your money too, you should be at least somewhat alarmed with today's drop.
    04-11-13 10:28 AM
113,256 ... 643644645646647 ...