View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I imagine this could be possible if you were looking at the past week - if the Z10 sold a lot the first few weeks, but now sales are slower, and returns of those sold in the first few weeks is picking up (most carriers give you 2 weeks to try a phone out) - then returns could be higher than actual sales.

If returns are indeed more than sales; or if returns are higher than normal; then it is what BlackBerry has done to itself. There is a thread here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...update-769694/
    If BlackBerry just implemented most-requested tweaks from this thread, a lot of BBRY users will be beyond happy; they will be ecastic. BlackBerry is not Apple, nor Android that it can get away with long OS update cycles. They need to 'deliver features' and 'tweaks' that are considered missing NOW - not next month!

Apps are a problem but those purchasing Z10 know that so I won't rate lack of apps (like Skype) as a big reason for returns. I'd think the main reasons for returns would be that there are some small (but annoying) tweaks that are missing. For instance, you can't copy/paste a number into dial screen of Z10. You've to physically type it. You can't also simply click a phone number in an email. <-- Those are just two examples of minor (it'd take relatively very small effort to fix them) but annoying (as hell) issues.

I am happy with Z10 because my use-case is a bit different. I also have a Bold 9900 so I don't use Z10 as heavily as I'd if it was my only device. I still type most of my emails etc on Bold 9900 and make most calls from 9900. So, I am not unhappy or frustrated; but I can see how a lot of customers purchased Z10 and are annoyed by these minor issues.

BlackBerry needs to listen to its customers. Release fixes to such annoying problems (and a lot of problems require very little effort) as soon as possible. Weekly, bi-weekly, whatever. Don't wait to fix a LOT of issues altogether and then release them all in one big update 3 months later. Fix them now; help your users enjoy their phones NOW! Why should your user put up with annoyance and irritation for next 3 months (assuming you are going to fix these issues 3 months later in a big update)? Do you've NO respect for your user's time?

Don't de-humanize your user. Think about what would make BBRY an enjoyable experience and what wouldn't. Remove those irritants.

Your users are using the phone now; and phone is an essential tool of their lives. If they get irritated every time they use this phone, they are going to return it. In theory, on paper, it sounds like 'oh this..is just a small problem.. users will manage'. But it's more than that. Your users are human beings going through different daily pressures of life. Sometimes a little thing can be very irritating.

I created a thread requesting Kevin or CB team to make a list of running issues; hand them over to BBRY and then relentlessly pressure them to get it fixed (http://forums.crackberry.com/general...eports-791699/). But save for one, nobody seconded or showed interest in it or upvoted it.

You may wonder - why should we care if BBRY fixes this or not? It's not OUR job! Well, for starters, we are shareholders. It's in our interest to pressurize BBRY into improving user-experience. More sales, less returns, will lead to increased revenue and increased stock price.

EDIT: I'd like to re-iterate, I am talking about minor tweaks and issues; not 3rd party apps. Tweaks that are 100% within BBRY's control.

EDIT 2: If you know somebody senior in BBRY, it'd help if you could pass on this (or similar) message to them. We need to pressure BBRY and ensure it doesn't get steered in wrong direction. We are, after all, shareholders too. And our share-value directly depends on how well BBRY performs.

Last edited by chrysaurora; 04-11-13 at 09:26 AM.
    04-11-13 09:13 AM
    Bought another 5000 shares whoot lol
    04-11-13 09:18 AM
    The Q10 will be the workhorse adopted by enterprise clients and it's own niche market of physical keyboard adherents. BlackBerry is still the top dog in the QWERTY market, so sales are largely guaranteed.

The Z10 is aimed at the general consumer market currently controlled by Apple and Samsung which make up the larger portion of the smartphone owner population and therefore will be the driver of the majority of sales, but it doesn't stand out from the competition hardware-wise. It's meant to highlight the OS over the device, which is the best way to gain mindshare in the marketplace.

The Q10 will represent the most advanced QWERTY phone on the market. No one else offers anything comparable in terms of OS performance or build quality and the design of the Q10 stands out more than the Z10. When they start appearing in the wild they'll definitely attract more attention than the Z10, which could easily be mistaken for a competitor's phone.

While the Z10 is the first device to offer the refreshed OS, the Q10 will the be first to offer the truly iconic experience that will become the new face of BlackBerry.
    Well said. And that is the reason why we will not see the "big" enterprise sales until the Q10 is released. A few small contracts may be coming in now, but if they were announced they could feed the bears with underwhelming numbers. The real sales will happen when the Q10 comes out.

And this is also why we will not see BBOS 10.1 yet....! The Q10 is not out yet.
    04-11-13 09:20 AM
    Haki Hika‏@HakiHika6m
    Order Entered: Buy to cover 33,000 $BBRY @ LIMIT 13.69.

Lots of this going on, on Twitter
    04-11-13 09:24 AM
    How can you guys be so calm while your investment just took a major 5% hit on basically a rumor? Shouldn't we be all very concerned with BBRY prospects? I know I am.
    04-11-13 09:25 AM

If returns are indeed more than sales; or if returns are higher than normal; then it is what BlackBerry has done to itself. There is a thread here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...update-769694/
    If BlackBerry just implemented most-requested tweaks from this thread, a lot of BBRY users will be beyond happy; they will be ecastic. BlackBerry is not Apple, nor Android that it can get away with long OS update cycles. They need to 'deliver features' and 'tweaks' that are considered missing NOW - not next month!

EDIT: I'd like to re-iterate, I am talking about minor tweaks and issues; not 3rd party apps. Tweaks that are 100% within BBRY's control.

EDIT 2: If you know somebody senior in BBRY, it'd help if you could pass on this (or similar) message to them. We need to pressure BBRY and ensure it doesn't get steered in wrong direction. We are, after all, shareholders too. And our share-value directly depends on how well BBRY performs.

No disrespect... but it sounds like you should not be an early adopter of a new OS, or maybe should have waited for the Q10.
    MoolahMitch likes this.
    04-11-13 09:25 AM
    How can you guys be so calm while your investment just took a major 5% hit on basically a rumor? Shouldn't we be all very concerned with BBRY prospects? I know I am.
    Because that is what the market is all about.

Buy on stupid rumours dragging the price down. Sell on real information later.

Rumors make the best investments
    04-11-13 09:27 AM
    long time lurker on this thread. i think it's time to be a contributor. getting a new comment from Morgan is always a highlight of the day.

I am LONG BBRY. Bought $8 JAN 2014 calls at a few levels around $10 SP entry. And a bunch of stock avg. same entry (2000 shares).

The rest I am playing calls recently with some left over trading account cash. Pretty much even on short term call trades on BBRY so far (excluding the JAN 2014 calls which are up nicely...until today anyways).

The stock is just too undervalued at these levels. If you don't have the risk tolerance, buy and hold and don't worry about any further dips. After Q1 earnings, and even more so Q2 earnings, the EPS will support a stock price up nicely from these levels.

At the $13.90 level this morning I said this is just too cheap (even if it dips more) no 'real' news just more 'shorts' funded rumours) and bought some July 20 calls @ 14 strike (post Q1 earnings with enough time for upgrades...) and May 18 calls @ 13 strike (after Q10 release in Canada/UK, and hopefully chatter around US release, and hopefully DoD contract). But I have the risk tolerance. If I didn't I would just buy stock and not worry. Worst case is everything goes to s$it and even then a buyout or sum of parts should support $12. I'm in Canada and more people everyday have the Z10. And more than those are waiting for the Q10. MS analysis now suggesting 36M-40M unit shipments this year. This is in line with the Blue Fin supplier checks which indicated units could go back to the 12M/q or 48M/y level this year. Q1 numbers will be the 'ramping up' numbers....then add in Q10(including US) for Q2...add in more Q10/Z10/BES10 enterprise Q3/Q4.

We all know this is the likely trajectory. The shorts will be shaken...it is just going to take longer than we all think is 'fair' or 'reasonable'. That is why calls are more risky than they should be...but stock long and hold should reap you rewards with low risk IMO.

Reward vs Risk by far benefits the longs from my seat.

GL to all. Hang tight....don't sell to the shorts! (I echo Morgan on this and he keeps reminding us all!)
    04-11-13 09:27 AM
    It's nothing new.

Some of the drop could be due to covering, hidden by market manipulations. Placing huge sell orders and then cancelling them before they're completed, then picking up the shares that shake out when the stop losses get blown through.
    04-11-13 09:28 AM
    If the returns were actually ridiculously high (exceeding sales) we would have seen that reflected in user reviews, which are overwhelmingly positive.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 09:29 AM
    Because it's, like you called it, an investment, not an actual loss of anything. We are looking at what's coming down the road, not today or tomorrow. It's not nice to see the share price drop but it's not the same as seeing, for example, gas prices go up which has an immediate and direct impact on our finances. Look at any stock... it goes up and down. Now look at BBRY over the las 6 months..... it's hugely erratic and this is the norm and somewhat to be expected.
    04-11-13 09:31 AM
    There is a clear mismatch between Fenton's checks of return rates and the user feedbacks on Amazon, AT&T, and Verizon which are all 4.5/5 rating.
    If most buyers are so happy with their Z10, then who are returning in numbers larger than sells?
    morganplus8 and fedakd like this.
    04-11-13 09:33 AM
    Where is the SEC? The US has become a third world county joke.
    zyben likes this.
    04-11-13 09:34 AM
    I just added another 20,000 shares to my long position at 13.94. Gogo bbry bear! I still want to add a lot more to my position.
    04-11-13 09:37 AM
    No disrespect... but it sounds like you should not be an early adopter of a new OS, or maybe should have waited for the Q10.
    Oh no, I am perfectly fine with Z10. But I can see how some customers are going to be annoyed and return their phones. I am not returning my Z10. But reportedly a lot of customers are. If that is indeed correct, then that hurts our SHARE value! I am forgiving and I can live with annoyances; but at the same time, as a shareholder and as an emphatic user, I feel the sooner these issues get fixed, the better it is for BBRY users (including us) and shareholders (again, 'us')!
    04-11-13 09:40 AM
    There is a $75 restocking fee at Verizon if returned - there is ZERO way people are returning phones in droves when they paid $199 for it, in exchange for a $75 fee AND a new phone price. Even lower chance when phone is $99.
    04-11-13 09:43 AM
    Also we have a lot of retailers on the forum that would have reported massive returns well ahead of these checks. Remember the Playbook? We knew it was a flop and knew returns were bad well ahead of the media narrative.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 09:43 AM
    The survey there is obviously a multiple question survey.

I imagine the questioning went like this:
    1: Nothing would get me to buy the iphone - yes/no
    2: Nothing would get me to buy a Blackberry - yes/no
    3: Nothing would get me to buy an Android phone - yes/no

As opposed to how many on here seem to believe it to look like:
    Nothing would get my to buy - iPhone / Blackberry / Andriod
    This kind of survey is aimed at capturing input from diehards.
    04-11-13 09:45 AM
    5% pffft. I sleep through those dips now. jk
    04-11-13 09:45 AM
    Oh no, I am perfectly fine with Z10. But I can see how some customers are going to be annoyed and return their phones. I am not returning my Z10. But reportedly a lot of customers are. If that is indeed correct, then that hurts our SHARE value! I am forgiving and I can live with annoyances; but at the same time, as a shareholder and as an emphatic user, I feel the sooner these issues get fixed, the better it is for BBRY users (including us) and shareholders (again, 'us')!
    It's likely a rumor.

If 50 out of 60 users on Amazon give the Z10 a 5-star rating, why would they all suddenly return their phones?

It's a rumor meant to counteract Thor's statement that they're selling about 75% of what they've shipped to date.
    04-11-13 09:46 AM
    5% pffft. I sleep through those dips now. jk
    Lol agreed. We're so jaded now. Don't even blink at these days.
    Bugmapper likes this.
    04-11-13 09:47 AM
    How many lies have to be disproved before the new lies are seen for what they are? Money talks and Apple is paying alot for propaganda
    04-11-13 09:50 AM
    Where is the SEC? The US has become a third world county joke.
    What should they do? What laws have been broken? Please be specific. You should invest elsewhere if you think it is a joke. I really think we are OK and the rest of the world seems to agree. The market is for big boys and girls, if you determine or believe a rumor is false, then its a great money making opportunity. Either way, the market is what it is and I don't like what happens sometiems, but understand how it all works. Investors should too before they put their money into the market.
    matthewriedle likes this.
    04-11-13 09:51 AM
    Well said. And that is the reason why we will not see the "big" enterprise sales until the Q10 is released. A few small contracts may be coming in now, but if they were announced they could feed the bears with underwhelming numbers. The real sales will happen when the Q10 comes out.

And this is also why we will not see BBOS 10.1 yet....! The Q10 is not out yet.
    It seems to me that phones owned by businesses big and small as well as the US government are counted into BB's 5.4% USA market share. When I was working for the Canadian govt my phone was on Rogers . In other words I don't think there is a big hidden market there ready and waiting to be tapped.

I think that the Q10 will ensure BB's relevance in the business market but still the predominant phone especially in the USA market will be the Iphone. In the UK particularly , employees are given cheap BB devices. BB has said that the new R model would not be offered in the USA. That would be a mistake. I think that business and govt users would be interested in the new reasonably priced up-sized Curve. Until then, the best way and perhaps the only way for BB to make gains in the USA business market would be to subsidize their phones to large customers. BB lost the ability to dictate their pricing two or more years ago. It would take a big security calamity to stop the BYOD trend now. Employees are like consumers, if given a choice the majority would prefer a touch screen phone . Lastly, my daughter and son in law work for large corporations that are "all in" Blackberry. Their employers replace phones if they are broken not en-mass. Many are still waiting to see if BB can get past this year.
    04-11-13 09:54 AM
    I hope blackberry or someone responds to this. I also would like to see blackberry take some of these people to court.
    04-11-13 09:54 AM
113,256 ... 642643644645646 ...