Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Then again, maybe I am, from the document:

4.4 Mobile Applications
    4.4.1 A storage and distribution facility with federated management shall be established for
    mobile applications. Mobile applications shall be certified via an approved governance
    process.
    4.4.2 A common mobile application development
    I wasn't talking about warehouses full of devices, just an announcement about an MDM (services)solution, in this case BES10, moving forward
    04-08-13 04:49 PM
    [QUOTE=take99;8283173]What to make of this then? Seems like they are shopping for a MDM solution for all their mobile devices that need security and want it implemented by Fiscal 2014, lcjr can you tell us when DoD fiscal 14 starts?

My personal take on all this is the DoD will send down a new policy requiring new regulatory guidance on what to allow and what measures to emplace on any mobile device within it's ranks. That's also the take from a few of my buddies within the IT departments. How long will all this take? Nobody has a clue.
    take99 likes this.
    04-08-13 04:53 PM
    Then again, maybe I am, from the document:

4.4 Mobile Applications
    4.4.1 A storage and distribution facility with federated management shall be established for
    mobile applications. Mobile applications shall be certified via an approved governance
    process.
    4.4.2 A common mobile application development
    Nah, that just means a data center. Servers where they'll install MDM (hopefully, BES) to remotely monitor all deployed devices.

Not a warehouse full of mobile devices for all children DoD agencies.
    04-08-13 04:54 PM
    @ take99: 4.4.1 A storage and distribution facility with federated management shall be established for mobile applications. Mobile applications shall be certified via an approved governance process.

We already have that at each installation. All software and devices are locked down tight and managed. Everything used is certified via approved governance process. I guess they included that line number so that it's included in any updates or changes. That's not a new thing. Good lord, that would be quite embarrasing if it were. lol
    Charles Martin1 likes this.
    04-08-13 04:58 PM
    Nah, that just means a data center. Servers where they'll install MDM (hopefully, BES) to remotely monitor all deployed devices.

Not a warehouse full of mobile devices for all children DoD agencies.
    Data centers already exist. This is just included so it won't be left out later. Nothing new in all this.
    bungaboy and take99 like this.
    04-08-13 05:01 PM
    @ take99: 4.4.1 A storage and distribution facility with federated management shall be established for mobile applications. Mobile applications shall be certified via an approved governance process.

We already have that at each installation. All software and devices are locked down tight and managed. Everything used is certified via approved governance process. I guess they included that line number so that it's included in any updates or changes. That's not a new thing. Good lord, that would be quite embarrasing if it were. lol
    Yip. Just government policy, which aims to outline every important aspect.
    04-08-13 05:05 PM
    lcjr, are government timetables like Blackberry's or can we expect this to be announced this month?

1.1 Phase 1, November 2012 – April 2013
    Phase 1 establishes a basic multi-vendor mobility capability within DoD for assessment. Phase 1
    will deploy voice and data services over a commercial wireless network and award a contract for
    the initial DoD enterprise MDM and MAS.
    fedakd likes this.
    04-08-13 05:23 PM
    New short interest numbers come out this week, right?
    Yup, tomorrow after 4:00
    04-08-13 05:42 PM
    Yup, tomorrow after 4:00
    I wonder if it's gone up.
    04-08-13 05:45 PM
    some highlights I took out of the DoD document for those of you interested:

Capabilities in Phase 1:
    • Initial Mobile Device Management / Mobile Applications Store (MDM/MAS) Capability
    • Develop Initial Architecture for identified capabilities
    • Establish Initial Network Operations (NetOps) Reporting Approach
    • Establish a Mobile Applications (Apps) Governance Process
    • Deploy a up to 1,500 (DISA provided) devices
    • Establish user/device support

1.2 Phase 2, April – September 2013

Phase 2’s primary goal is to create a security and service delivery infrastructure to support
    several competitive acquisition options. Deliverables for Phase 2 include a network
    infrastructure to support the user community including C/S/A and a total of 5,000 devices
    procured through DISA and deployed to a combination of Army, Air Force, Navy, Joint Staff,
    and Combatant Command users. DISA will establish a NETOPS and reporting function to
    support the situational awareness and defense of the mobile enterprise capability. DISA will
    procure an enterprise MDM/MAS license to support up to 25,000 devices during this period with
    options in 25,000 device increments to support additional infrastructure and surge requirements
    in the out years depending on requirements and funding availability.

1.3 Phase 3, October 2013 and beyond

• Provide enhanced infrastructure gateway
    • Provide growth capacity up to 100,000 devices in FY14
    • Transition operations to subscription services
    • Establish a decentralized tier 1 help desk structure
    • Establish a technology refresh program
    04-08-13 05:55 PM
    Okay, I just got home and decided to watch this cnbc thing to see what all the fuss was about. Anyway, so I'm listening to some lady talk about the general trends in AAPL and rim/bbry for the last 12 months or so and it all sounds reasonable, albeit unenlightening, then some ***hole sticks his face in front of a camera and calls everybody who uses a crackberry a "nut and a freak". WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?! How does this guy have a job? If I went to work tomorrow and published a document that said all [insert population segment here] were freaks and nuts I would be unemployed within 24 hours, my employer would be distancing themselves from my actions and I might even get a visit from a news team or a couple of lawyers representing [population segment]. What kind of slander/libel laws do you guys have down there? Wow I'm pissed.
    04-08-13 06:00 PM
    I wonder if it's gone up.
    yes, no, kinda sorta,

either way, it might tell us a big story.
    04-08-13 06:01 PM
    Beer thirty...

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 06:15 PM
    If I didn't know better, I'd say they were describing BES10 there!

What to make of this then? Seems like they are shopping for a MDM solution for all their mobile devices that need security and want it implemented by Fiscal 2014, lcjr can you tell us when DoD fiscal 14 starts?

see link for full document

Defense.gov News Release: DOD Releases Commercial Mobile Device Implementation Plan

Under the auspices of the DoD CIO Executive Board, the DoD CIO is pursuing a phased
    approach to mobility solutions leading to improved unclassified and classified mobile
    capabilities. A series of Component pilots will allow DoD to incorporate lessons learned, ensure
    interoperability, refine Mobile Device Management (MDM) requirements, influence commercial
    standards, and create cost and operational efficiencies for DoD enterprise mobile users. The
    Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA), with oversight from the DoD CIO, is creating an
    enterprise solution to support Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI) mobility requirements
    that will leverage commercial carrier infrastructure and provide entry points for the classified
    solution.
    As end user dependence on mobile devices rises, enterprise management implemented via an
    MDM becomes necessary to ensure secure mobile device operation and maintenance in a cost efficient
    manner. The MDM provides the ability to enforce policy for end user devices at
    application and user levels by instituting end user permissions for approved functions on the
    mobile device. MDM also supports malware detection, over-the-air (OTA) electronic software
    distribution of applications, remote data-wipe capabilities, remote device configuration
    management, and asset/property management capabilities that protect against key and data
    compromise. These capabilities ensure the security of the entire user community is not
    compromised by an improperly configured or operated device. A unified MDM architecture
    4 ATTACHMENT 1
    secures, monitors, manages, and supports accredited mobile devices across a range of DoD
    environments.
    Mobile applications are a critical enabler for service delivery and will permit new opportunities
    to improve mission effectiveness. This plan establishes an enterprise Mobile Application Store
    (MAS) capability that operates in conjunction with the MDM system. The MAS can deliver,
    update, and delete applications on mobile devices without the end user having to return the
    device for service. The objective of an enterprise MAS is to optimize the functionality and
    distribution of mobile applications to mobile devices while minimizing replication, cost, and
    downtime.
    04-08-13 06:16 PM
    ok, I'm doing a little more research here, forgive me if you've seen this old article before, but some more confirmation a big decision is coming this month:

whole article here: Pentagon plans to buy iPhones, Androids in threat to BlackBerry’s market share - The Washington Post

snippet:

The Pentagon’s Defense Information Systems Agency plans to award the mobile device management contract to a single company by April. The contract will probably be for one year with options to extend it an additional two years. Bids are due Nov. 27. The Pentagon did not give the potential value of the contract.

Natalie Harrison, a spokeswoman for Cupertino, Calif.-
    based Apple, declined to comment. An e-mail and a phone call to Mountain View, Calif.-based Google were not immediately returned.

In an acknowledgment of inroads made by rivals, RIM in April released BlackBerry Mobile Fusion, software that lets organizations manage iPhones and Android devices alongside BlackBerrys on their networks.

“We are excited for the opportunity to include BlackBerry Mobile Fusion” in the military’s portfolio, Lucier said in his statement.

Even with its total sales decline, RIM’s market share among U.S. government agencies was probably increasing, the company’s senior vice president of BlackBerry security, Scott Totzke, said in an April interview in Washington.

“Compared to the enterprise over the last year and a half or so, the federal business on whole is up,’’ he said at the time. “The employee base is shrinking, so if we’re looking at a market with fewer employees and our install base is stable to slightly up, that would seem to indicate that we have an increasing market share.”
    04-08-13 06:35 PM
    SteelCloud Announces MobileWorks VMware Appliance for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10
    3/5/13 10:00 AM ET (PR NewsWire)

SteelCloud, Inc. (OTCQB: SCLD.PK), a leading developer of secure VMware® appliance solutions for the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD), today announced the release of MobileWorks(TM) for BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10. SteelCloud developed this new fully integrated STIG-compliant VMware appliance to help the military to quickly and easily upgrade to BES 10. MobileWorks for BES 10 has been pre-integrated to include the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) Security Technical Implementation Guide (STIG) mandates for the BES operating environment.

MobileWorks for BES 10 enables virtually any size component in the DoD to quickly, easily, and cost effectively implement BlackBerry's newest technology. MobileWorks delivers a complete, optimized, ready to deploy VMware solution that includes a hardened version of Microsoft® Windows Server 2008 R2, BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10, and SteelCloud's innovative VeriScan(TM) software for trouble-free infrastructure validation and support.

All DoD organizations have a mandate to conform to certain Defense Information Security Agency (DISA) Security Technical Implementation Guides or "STIGs." The SteelCloud MobileWorks is an enhanced virtual implementation of its appliance for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 that leverages SteelCloud's years of experience in delivering STIG-compliant BlackBerry solutions that can be implemented by DoD organizations in under 60 minutes. The MobileWorks VMware appliance is the best, least cost solution for implementing and maintaining a BES 10 environment that conforms to the STIGs for Windows, SQL, and the .Net Framework.

"SteelCloud brings years of experience with BlackBerry and the STIGs to the newest BES platform," said Brian Hajost, president, and CEO of SteelCloud. "MobileWorks for BES 10 affords our DoD customers unparalleled ease in establishing a secure production environment for BES 10. We are delighted to continue our work with BlackBerry and have been impressed with the advances that have been made in the new BES 10 solution and the remarkable new Z10 smartphone device."

Available as a secure VMware software plug-in, MobileWorks deploys BES 10 in under 60 minutes in a STIG-compliant environment and includes a High Availability (HA) option. SteelCloud also offers STIG360(TM), a compliancy support service that ensures deployed systems are kept up to date with the appropriate STIG and security guidance, significantly reducing the burden on budgets and staff. As a result, military commands are able to re-allocate IT resources to other mission-critical tasks rather than committing weeks or months to manual system deployment, hardening, and maintenance.

SteelCloud can provide all the components necessary to implement a complete STIG-compliant mobile environment including CAC readers and secure Bluetooth headsets. MobileWorks solutions are available from SteelCloud and can be acquired via popular contracting vehicles including GSA, CHESS/ITES, and SEWP. MobileWorks for BES 10 is also available in versions for federal civilian and commercial customers. For more information, please email [email protected].
    04-08-13 07:00 PM
    lcjr, are government timetables like Blackberry's or can we expect this to be announced this month?

Phase 1 establishes a basic multi-vendor mobility capability within DoD for assessment. Phase 1
    will deploy voice and data services over a commercial wireless network and award a contract for
    the initial DoD enterprise MDM and MAS.
    Just because they reach a phase on time doesn't mean they have to announce the results to the general public. If the information becomes available you'll probably have to pull it from some DoD paper or source.
    04-08-13 07:10 PM
    yes, no, kinda sorta,

either way, it might tell us a big story.
    So, what's it going to do this time? Lower the stock even more?
    04-08-13 07:13 PM
    So, what's it going to do this time? Lower the stock even more?
    option a - shorts continue to rise (since volume is dropping this means stock is being held down)
    option b - shorts unchanged (difficult to interpret clearly - could mean shorts holding on since volume dropping)
    option c - shorts dropped off significantly ( may mean that shorting levels were due to high volume and they covered long ago)

feel free to cut up my logic... I prefer option a myself.
    04-08-13 07:36 PM
    option a - shorts continue to rise (since volume is dropping this means stock is being held down)
    option b - shorts unchanged (difficult to interpret clearly - could mean shorts holding on since volume dropping)
    option c - shorts dropped off significantly ( may mean that shorting levels were due to high volume and they covered long ago)

Yeah, a for me as well.
    04-08-13 07:49 PM

My guess is more or less the same, with maybe a slight drop. Since the volatility has declined, the day traders have run off to the next best thing so that's proably the likely reason for the volume drop. Another reason for the slow drop is there are people doing just what Charles has and sold either part of, or their whole position as they've become bored with this one. I think the shorts are holding, and are salivating more than ever at the lower volume and the slowly dropping price. They will get caught, however, and will be forced to cover, but not until there is true definitive news out that they are wrong. This could take a while but the real players think they know better.

We are in an interesting time here. What seemed like a meteoric rise has hit a small plateau. Of course we all believe that it will rise up and go beyond, and by all accounts it should, but there is a **** ton of money banking that it will gradually go back down. The last couple of weeks will only strenthen their beliefs so no, I don't believe there will be any sort of serious, if any, decline in the short interest.
    04-08-13 07:50 PM
    John Hale, DISA�s chief of enterprise applications, said Wednesday the system supports 80,000 BlackBerry devices and another 700 Android, Apple and Windows Mobile devices being tested in pilot programs.
    Serbu writes DISA is accepting bids from industry to build a mobile device management platform and internal application store.
    �We expect the award to be done this summer, and that solution will eventually replace the current pilots we have going on with all the different devices we have throughout the department,� Hale said, according to Federal News Radio.
    �We would see that standing side-by-side with our current BlackBerry infrastructure for a time, but we would expect to converge those two into a single solution next year,� he added.
    04-08-13 08:06 PM
    My guess is more or less the same, with maybe a slight drop. Since the volatility has declined, the day traders have run off to the next best thing so that's proably the likely reason for the volume drop. Another reason for the slow drop is there are people doing just what Charles has and sold either part of, or their whole position as they've become bored with this one. I think the shorts are holding, and are salivating more than ever at the lower volume and the slowly dropping price. They will get caught, however, and will be forced to cover, but not until there is true definitive news out that they are wrong. This could take a while but the real players think they know better.

We are in an interesting time here. What seemed like a meteoric rise has hit a small plateau. Of course we all believe that it will rise up and go beyond, and by all accounts it should, but there is a **** ton of money banking that it will gradually go back down. The last couple of weeks will only strenthen their beliefs so no, I don't believe there will be any sort of serious, if any, decline in the short interest.
    So are we saying the SP will remain low for a while? Also, if the shorts weren't made to cover last time, what's to say they will next ER?
    04-08-13 08:27 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting the stock is finished, just trying to contemplate how long it will be manipulated so that it remains below $17-$18.
    04-08-13 08:30 PM
    So are we saying the SP will remain low for a while? Also, if the shorts weren't made to cover last time, what's to say they will next ER?
    I think it will be in an uneasy place for a while. Neither camp is fully confident enough at the moment. The last ER gave reasons for both sides of the argument and there is still a lot of uncertainty. I don't think we need to wait for the next ER for a move but will need some news in either direction to see any major action.

Keep in mind, however, that I have no idea what I'm talking about and I'm only giving my limited view on things.

Posted via CB10
    lcjr, bungaboy and Chris Marsch like this.
    04-08-13 08:39 PM
113,256 ... 622623624625626 ...