View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    loving it, i find marketing really exciting and fun. If i wasn't in finance i'd so do that
    04-04-13 10:09 AM
    Dang, you beat me. I got $15.19.
    Certainly won't make a difference in the long run.
    I'm gradually learning to be patient
    Bugmapper and bungaboy like this.
    04-04-13 10:09 AM
    well, getting hammered with sh!t today...
    04-04-13 10:10 AM
    Actually, didn't those "leaked" slides merely imply it was April 1st?

Posted via CB10
    There may be something to this and not an April's fool. Thoughts???

http://forums.crackberry.com/rumored...alysis-789271/
    04-04-13 10:10 AM
    Certainly won't make a difference in the long run.
    I'm gradually learning to be patient
    Yes it will! I will always be upset that somebody else got shares $0.04 cheaper than me!

Seriously though, that whole patience things is hard to do for me too.
    04-04-13 10:19 AM

this was shown to be an April Fool's day prank. Carry on.
    04-04-13 10:22 AM
    So am I correct in understanding that we just took on $256 M in debt???
    04-04-13 10:24 AM

He totally lost me at the point where he started trying to analyze the actual aspect ratios.

Anyone who has ever been involved in preparing slides like that knows that they're generally a quick copy/paste/butcher job with zero engineering rigor behind them. Even if it wasn't a joke, I don't think it would tell us anything about the actual dimensions of the products other than in a very hand-waving sense.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-04-13 10:24 AM

This is a fake. Two indicators... the source, and the fact that it says for 2013. In BB's world, it is now fiscal year 2014 therefore any internal road map would reflect that.
    Superfly_FR and bungaboy like this.
    04-04-13 10:25 AM
    You mean the Telefonica thing? That doesn't look like it was to BlackBerry, but another company. It facilitates them making purchases from BBRY.
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    04-04-13 10:26 AM
    no... i think telefonica did, with canadian government loan backing.
    04-04-13 10:26 AM
    no... i think telefonica did, with canadian government loan backing.
    That's a smart gov't subsidy to BBRY.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-04-13 10:27 AM
    This is a fake. Two indicators... the source, and the fact that it says for 2013. In BB's world, it is now fiscal year 2014 therefore any internal road map would reflect that.
    There financial statements follow their fiscal year, however when they refer to product launches they usually refer to quarters in the calendar year...atleast from my experience.
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-04-13 10:29 AM
    EDC picks up the debt?

Also, they're projecting 500,000 phones for that value.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-04-13 10:30 AM
    That's a smart gov't subsidy to BBRY.
    And the beauty part is... it's not a subsidy... its a loan

(Can't get our NAFTA partners upset)
    04-04-13 10:31 AM
    And the beauty part is... it's not a subsidy... its a loan

(Can't get our NAFTA partners upset)

True, it can be coded as provisionally repayable and then written off...
    Bugmapper, bungaboy and OMGitworks like this.
    04-04-13 10:33 AM
    Okay, I wasn't really concerned with the slides or format. Sorry for being unclear. I was referring to the spread of release dates, which has a direct impact on SP.
    Charles Martin1 likes this.
    04-04-13 10:36 AM
    A department within the Canadian Government (Export Developement Canada) loaned the Spanish carrier 200M+ to invest in BlackBerry devices for customers of Telefonica.

This is the Canadian Government loaning money to a foreign company with the exception that the money is to be invested into a specific Canadian company, in this case BlackBerry.

There is no debt accrued by BlackBerry, in fact they come out on top with Hardware purchase guarantees and possible service rev.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/04/bla...or-bb-devices/

Article in full:

Today, Export Development Canada, the Canadian export credit agency, announced that it has provided a €200 million ($256 million) working capital facility to Telefonica, one of the world’s biggest mobile operators, to procure BlackBerry smartphones, services and solutions for its global footprint, which covers 315.7 million subscribers across 24 countries.

BlackBerry last week posted better than expected quarterly results, but it’s not out of the woods yet, and this shows that Canada, by way of the EDC, is now stepping in to help.

The deal underscores the fact that while BlackBerry is pushing very hard for a turnaround with the launch of BB10 and a raft of new devices, it still needs to do a lot of legwork to convince carriers that they should be making the extra investment to stock its devices. Figures out earlier this week from Kantar Worldpanel Comtech noted that RIM’s share of handset sales in once-key markets like the U.S. had dwindled to just 0.7% of sales in the 12 weeks to the end of February, down from an already very sad 3.6% a year ago.

Gartner today published numbers that project that BlackBerry will only account for 1.3% of global smartphone shipments in 2013, with that proportion only getting smaller in the years ahead.

This injection of capital for one of the world’s biggest carriers ensures that Telefonica will be making the investment to get those phones out to the market. It’s a particularly important deal for BlackBerry because Telefonica has a large footprint in emerging markets in Latin America.

This is one area where BlackBerry has continued to see some interest in its devices, and it’s also still one of fastest-growing regions for smartphone adoption, at a time when more mature markets have already become more saturated, slower growing and “won” by Android-based handset makers and Apple.

It also happens that one of Telefonica’s key partners for new services in Latin America, Bango, is the billing partner for BlackBerry in its app store — meaning that it’s in Telefonica’s interest to get more Bango-enabled handsets out into the market to help it succeed in its own efforts to get users charging content to their phone bills (and making more revenue for Telefonica in the process).

A recent order for 1 million BB10 handsets, reportedly by Brightstar, also underscores this trend of focusing on newer markets. Brightstar has a strong global footprint for helping to distribute mobile devices.

Today’s news is also a sign of how carriers, worried about taking risks on devices that are not guaranteed, sure-fire hits, may no longer be willing to gamble as they have done before on procuring handsets that are long-shots.

“EDC’s financing is really about making the transactions between BlackBerry and Telef�nica easier, helping to enhance and broaden the relationship between these two major global players,” said Lewis Megaw, Regional Vice President Africa Europe and the Middle East, EDC, in a statement.

This is not the first time that the EDC has worked with Telefonica. It has been providing financing since 2006 “in support of its various Canadian procurement needs.” Those would have presumably also included deals with the likes of Nortel, the now-defunct Canadian telecoms vendor.

Release below.

OTTAWA, April 4, 2013 /CNW/ – Export Development Canada (EDC) today announced that it has provided a €200M working capital facility to Telef�nica to facilitate the procurement of BlackBerry� smartphones, services and solutions across its worldwide operations.

Telef�nica is one of the largest global telecommunications companies, with operations in 24 countries and a customer base of over 315.7 million subscribers. EDC’s working capital facility will facilitate BlackBerry market share growth within Telef�nica.
    “EDC’s financing is really about making the transactions between BlackBerry and Telef�nica easier, helping to enhance and broaden the relationship between these two major global players,” said Lewis Megaw , Regional Vice President Africa Europe and the Middle East, EDC.

EDC has provided financing to Telef�nica since 2006 in support of its various Canadian procurement needs.

Two-way trade between Canada and Spain reached CAD 2.6 billion in 2012, primarily in the ICT, Aerospace and Extractive sectors. Of that, over 500 Canadian companies used EDC’s services to undertake more than CAD 414.8 million in trade with Spain in 2012.
    In 2012, over 1,000 Canadian exporters and investors in the ICT sector used EDC products and services to facilitate more than CAD 8.4 billion in international business.

About EDC

EDC is Canada’s export credit agency, offering innovative commercial solutions to help Canadian exporters and investors expand their international business. EDC’s knowledge and partnerships are used by more than 7,400 Canadian companies and their global customers in up to 200 markets worldwide each year. EDC is financially self-sustaining and a recognized leader in financial reporting and economic analysis.
    Last edited by AngryEdmontonian; 04-04-13 at 11:04 AM. Reason: posted link
    I am just glad the SP is staying where it is, and not dropping, considering what's happening in the rest of the market, and the 'news' stories springing up.
    True, it can be coded as provisionally repayable and then written off...
    Yeah, does anybody follow up on these loans 5 - 10 years after they are announced, or can they just sweep them under the rug cuz nobody remembers anymore.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-04-13 10:38 AM
    I can see, after reading the last page or two that this forum is needing some "moderation" to keep it on subject! LOL!
    hey, I was only 50% off topic
    BlackistheBerry and lcjr like this.
    04-04-13 10:52 AM
    They more or less sweep them away...
    Bugmapper likes this.
    04-04-13 10:58 AM
    I'm affraid this is nowhere "technical", but ... in short, doesn't this chart mean : "the bulls won (that fight)" ?

Edit: no, I'm dumb ... sry. They won ... after (or
    bears are not strong enough to counter-act bulls ?)
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg  
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-04-13 10:59 AM
    I am just glad the SP is staying where it is, and not dropping, considering what's happening in the rest of the market, and the 'news' stories springing up.
    It's the sideways shuffle...123...kick....123...kick....123...dip... 123...jump...
    04-04-13 10:59 AM
113,250 ... 593594595596597 ...