View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Excellent article here with some encouraging points.

10 Things BlackBerry Z10 Does That iPhone Can't

One solid sign that the Z10 is getting some attention in the United States is the number of inquiries I'm currently receiving from readers, colleagues, coworkers, friends and family about the Z10. The inquiries usually go something like this: "You have the new BlackBerry, right? [Insert name of somebody they know here; Joe Schmo, for example] has one too, and he really likes it

10 Things BlackBerry Z10 Does That iPhone Can't - CIO.com
    That's a great article. People should know what BB is capable of now and also what their device can't do. That's the key really I think; people don't really know their own devices well.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-03-13 02:45 PM
    And now for the final minutes of the day.... will the usual happen with a drop off, or has it dropped enough for the day and a gain back to green in the works?
    04-03-13 02:46 PM
    Hey guys, this is from the Short Sellers thread in the forum. For those of you who know about this stuff, can you explain? What I don't understand is.....are the stocks that I own being used by someone else?? How do I ensure that this doesn't happen?
    Assuming this is accurate information, it should explain everything you're asking about: What happens to the voting rights on shares when the shares are used in a short sale transaction?

TL;DR version: if you don't have a margin account, your shares cannot be loaned out anyway, so you can ignore this. Also, it's not the shorts who control the shares, but those buying, who are simply other longs such as yourself, so again, you can ignore this.
    cjcampbell and bungaboy like this.
    04-03-13 02:47 PM
    Closing above $15 works.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-03-13 03:00 PM
    Well, closing at $15.02 on NASDAQ isn't bad at all.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-03-13 03:01 PM
    Closing above $15 works.
    Charles, I knew you'd have to return at closing time. lol
    04-03-13 03:02 PM
    Nasdaq closed at 14.99

**after hours
    04-03-13 03:03 PM
    Charles, I knew you'd have to return at closing time. lol
    Lol...can't resist. Although, it was good not to watch it all day.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    04-03-13 03:04 PM
    Nasdaq closed at 14.99
    WTF??? It was at $15.02 with the clause "{Market Closed}". It's a conspiracy!!!
    04-03-13 03:05 PM
    I show it closing at $15.03
    04-03-13 03:06 PM
    Oh, well then we'll go with your version then. lol
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    04-03-13 03:07 PM
    Whatever $15 "something" is fine
    lcjr, Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    04-03-13 03:09 PM
    Considering the market was horrible today not a bad day at all. I was able to use some advice from in here.

Waited untill after the open and didn't panic and waited abit. Put in a lower bit and was able to get the stock for even cheaper then I wanted!!

Lets hope the market trades sideways at least. I don't want to see a HUGE drop everyday for the next month. Even though it probably will. .
    04-03-13 03:11 PM
    Hey guys, this is from the Short Sellers thread in the forum. For those of you who know about this stuff, can you explain? What I don't understand is.....are the stocks that I own being used by someone else?? How do I ensure that this doesn't happen? Or can I? I've sort of grasped what short sellers do thanks to you all but this is beyond me at the moment. At the end of the day, should smaller sized shareholders (few hundred, few thousand shares) worry about this kind of stuff?

The Anual General Meeting is in June sometime. 40 days before the AGM is the day of record. If you want to receive your proxy votes you must control your shares on this day. If your shares are loaned out, the new guy that bought your shares gets the vote. There are only 516MM shares eligible to vote. I have BB stock in margin account, RRSP, TFSA and Corp. It will be interesting to see how many proxys I get. I am on margin, but will put those shares up for sale before the record day, or pay off the margin and tranfer to my US cash account???

The large shareholders who allowed their shares to be loaned out to collect the 6?% fee, may want them back before the record day. The shorts have to find other shares to borrow or cover their short. Short squeeze. If there is still a huge short position on record day, I'm guessing it's someone or a group collecting voting rights (sell short - buy back same amount of shares and hold) to vote in some scheme that will surely screw us all.....

Thanks to anyone who can help out here.!!
    Respectfully, I don't think that the OP is getting the issues sorted out properly as far as wanting shares back and the importance of voting. Now paying a dividend, that would be interesting....
    04-03-13 03:12 PM
    Considering what the market as a whole did today, we can call this a positive day...
    04-03-13 03:12 PM
    George over on Seekang Alpha came up with the theory that our short position is a matter of increased volume and therefore present every day but closed at the end of it. This simply is not true and mis-leading to say the least. The short position is real, it is a long standing short position and not any different than Netflix or any other major trade today. The result of that short position will be a feverish rally when they decide to close it. The short position will not cover until we give them a reason to cover and that might not be until we announce something they aren't prepared for. My "tongue in cheek" comment about Facebook is the kind of thing that would cause the shorts to cover. This type of news is a bullish component that no one could imagine and lifts the stock into the mid-twenties. Will it happen? Not likely but imagine if you will if they license the OS to a major player.

I short stock all the time, I have to pay the dividends the stock pays out to those whose shares I borrowed, I hate that but I have to do it. People who short don't like paying dividends and carrying charges and we are no different here. I love to short a stock but I don't like paying to play. The cost of shorting BBRY has been going up so the traders need to make great money knocking BBRY down in order to pay for costs of carrying the stock, and the rally it can make. Today is a complete surprise here, we are pennies away from a breakout above $ 15.20/shr.. If we close above that number it will be so interesting to know why. With the market down this much, there would have to be something brewing here. Let's see if it rallies as is Facebook!!!!! We need that deal.
    It'd be nice, but here is the invite to the event. Another android device...

Facebook says come see 'new home on Android' on April 4 | Internet & Media - CNET News
    04-03-13 03:14 PM
    Assuming this is accurate information, it should explain everything you're asking about: What happens to the voting rights on shares when the shares are used in a short sale transaction?

TL;DR version: if you don't have a margin account, your shares cannot be loaned out anyway, so you can ignore this. Also, it's not the shorts who control the shares, but those buying, who are simply other longs such as yourself, so again, you can ignore this.
    Thanks so much, just what I was looking for!!!
    04-03-13 03:16 PM
    Wow...strange day for sure. the US ADP numbers tanked, which resulted in lower markets, lower US dollar, and lower oil...what amazes me is that gold plunges another $20 under these circumstances. Wacky stuff.

So, this Friday the US non-farm payroll data will be released...again likely to be negative. Being the contrarian stock BBRY should hold steady or climb...lol
    04-03-13 03:19 PM
    How about "Major win for Blackberry : DoD chooses BES10 for MDM solution, 600,000 devices covered under agreement

600,000 x 100/device/year = 60mln / year service revenue. What's that worth to the stock price? And if they ordered some new devices on top of that? KA - CHING

Make it so...

Facebook says come see 'new home on Android' on April 4 | Internet & Media - CNET News
    04-03-13 03:21 PM
    Well, closing at $15.02 on NASDAQ isn't bad at all.
    Agree with you, Superfly and the others. It's psychological and a bit of a boost considering the day. The market numbers were bad all 'round and the TSX here in Canada.....not good. Oh well I guess the best is yet to come.......
    lcjr likes this.
    04-03-13 03:22 PM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    04-03-13 03:23 PM
    So...what did I miss?

LOL...just kidding.
    04-03-13 03:31 PM
    Can we finally kiss the $14's goodbye, please say it's so.
    Markymark 23 likes this.
    04-03-13 03:34 PM
    How about "Major win for Blackberry : DoD chooses BES10 for MDM solution, 600,000 devices covered under agreement

600,000 x 100/device/year = 60mln / year service revenue. What's that worth to the stock price? And if they ordered some new devices on top of that? KA - CHING

Make it so...
    And to add to this, if they do take on BES10, you can add revenue for all the idevices and Adroid devices floating around. I'm sure they don't want to have thousands more out there unprotected
    04-03-13 03:39 PM
    Can we finally kiss the $14's goodbye, please say it's so.
    I'm all for that one my friend. This elevator can go up now. Everybody else waiting can take the stairs.
    04-03-13 03:41 PM
113,256 ... 583584585586587 ...