View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    LoL, I believe that you could classify this as emotional investing. Its hard not to do it to be honest, same thing happens to me with the money transfers it takes a day so I jump on market opening share price as soon as the money is available. Its not a good plan though, I need to be a little more level headed when rebuying.
    I think we've all had to conquer the emotional part of investing. So don't beat yourself up. I try to look at every mistake
    as a blessing in disguise. The harder the mistake is on me, the more cemented the lesson becomes. Back in 2008 I lost
    $32000 on one stock and it NEVER came back. I'm still out that money but I tell you the lessons I learned from that
    still resonate with me. Eventually that loss will be made up and it will take time, so keep moving forward.
    erodenero, bungaboy and DrWormBoy like this.
    04-02-13 10:12 AM
    Also, I'd like to point out... As much potential as BB has and for those who think it's an investor's once in a lifetime opportunity... Think again, their are always going to be undervalued company's.

ie: Check out how much Air Canada was last year.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-02-13 10:18 AM
    honestly we all don't learn until we have suffered a pretty big lost. Myself i've lost probably close to 16K when i first started but you learn and move on =)
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-02-13 10:18 AM
    I know, I know. I have read about 10:30 am dip so much here. But, what can I say, I am stupid, restless, impatient. I've made this stupid mistake many times.

Here is what happens: I transfer money to my trading account. It usually takes 2 business days for money to show up in my trading account. But in those 2 days, stock price goes up. For eg: it went up almost 5% yesterday (and I imitated money transfer on Thursday night).

So, when money finally shows-up, I can't control myself and I buy as soon as the market opens (because, remember, according to me, I already lost on lower price which was prevailing when I had initiated money transfer). lol. I just can't wait until 10:30. I get this feeling that we might see a short squeeze in next hour. So, I buy AS SOON AS money is in my account and the exchange is ready to take my money!
    IMHO, in investing, discipline is as important as being right. Timing the market is almost impossible, esp. if you look at it minute to minute and for any holding time frame longer than a month. Before I invest in anything, I set a sell price and write it down. If it hits that price, either up or down, I sell. If it's to the upside, I will sell enough to get my investment back and may continue to play with the "profits." I even set stops so they trigger automatically though in BBRY it is too volatile for me to consider doing that. I've posted I am not in BBRY yet. Why, I am not convinced it will truly rally until it breaks out above $18. Will I miss the $3 from here to $18, yes, but that is a "loss" I am willing to take because I am convinced that if it breaks out over $18 it is headed over $25. JMHO!! Patience is your friend. GLTA!!!
    04-02-13 10:23 AM
    Everytime I buy, it goes down. I purchased some options today at 9:50 AM and it went in red. My options are already down 12%

But they'll come back up soon enough. Next week, if not this week. Q10 is going to be announced in couple of weeks and it'd be released before the end of the month in Canada and possibly the UK (most likely Apr 29th as that's last Monday of the month). Stock should light up then.
    Options holders are getting destroyed.. I'm avoiding playing calls with this stock, been burnt enough.. Spending the premium on buying actual stock is more worth it

Well played by the market
    04-02-13 10:23 AM
    I think we've all had to conquer the emotional part of investing. So don't beat yourself up. I try to look at every mistake
    as a blessing in disguise. The harder the mistake is on me, the more cemented the lesson becomes. Back in 2008 I lost
    $32000 on one stock and it NEVER came back. I'm still out that money but I tell you the lessons I learned from that
    still resonate with me. Eventually that loss will be made up and it will take time, so keep moving forward.
    Ouch!

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 10:24 AM
    Do you think you could post a couple of these as updates for the benefit of those who like to see the change? This one states that BlackBerry is an "Avoid" but after today it should have changed for the good. Thanks
    I sure can. As they change ill post them. Just have to do it from my laptop
    morganplus8 likes this.
    04-02-13 10:26 AM
    What do you guys think I have some April 20th Contracts at 16 bucks. Sell now at cut losses or go all in and hope something big changes in the next 19 days lol

(It's like 1% of my portfolio so it's sell now and play craps to try and earn the money back lol or lose it all on red or lose it all on underwater options that might expire worthless)
    I have $14 contracts for the same day, and they seem undervalued (strike price of <$16), so i plan to hold for another week or 2. i feel we are due for a new update or some positive feedback from blackberry or a carrier.

looking at the charts for this stock, monday-thursday is generally [positive, then every friday the bears drag it down to the nearest option value. The last 2 or 3 fridays have each seen this 5-15% loss. personally i hope to sell my options this week if anthing can push our price to $16 (and thus the option a dollar or more higher)
    04-02-13 10:27 AM
    been between $15.11 and $15.21 for quite a long time now ( on the nasdaq ).
    wonder which way it will break?

all the articles i've seen today are about lawsuits against BB.
    04-02-13 10:30 AM
    Voted. Up 40%
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-02-13 10:31 AM
    04-02-13 10:36 AM
    Things have changed with TH at the helm.

Judge tosses RIM suit, cites ‘corporate puffery,’ not misleading statements

Michael Babad

The Globe and Mail
    Published Tuesday, Apr. 02 2013, 7:46 AM EDT
    Last updated Tuesday, Apr. 02 2013, 11:00 AM EDT

RIM case dismissed
    A U.S. District Court judge has dismissed a class-action suit against Research In Motion Ltd. and three executives, but his comments are biting where the BlackBerry maker’s infamous fall from grace is concerned.

U.S. District Judge Richard Sullivan of New York dismissed the suit, which alleged those involved knew or ought to have known what would come, last Thursday.

Robert Shemian, at the time a RIM shareholder, was the lead plaintiff in the case against RIM, former co-CEOs Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis, and current CFO Brian Bidulka.

According to the judge’s summation of the case, Mr. Shemian alleged that they “engaged in a scheme to obscure the company’s faltering market position as growing competition rapidly outpaced RIM’s aging product line,” hurting those who bought RIM shares between mid-December, 2010, and mid-June, 2011.

Those competitors included Apple Inc.’s iPhone and Google Inc.’s Android system. RIM failed to keep pace, sparking stock downgrades by analysts and a “markedly depressed stock value,” according to the document.

RIM had been at the top of its game in the winter of 2010, boasting revenue gains of 40 per cent and a 58-per-cent jump in earnings per share.

At the same time, the Waterloo, Ont.-based company “stated that its finance outlook was sound” as it prepared to launch what was then a new QNX operating system and its PlayBook tablet.

RIM’s decline from there on in is well documented, leading to what the suit said were product delays and a rush to market a lagging tablet.

RIM should have seen its later decline as “foreseeable,” and thus was honour-bound to disclose that. Instead, the suit alleged, the company projected future gains.

The allegations ran through several corporate comments and spoke of 11 “low-level confidential informants to loosely establish that a general atmosphere of delay and lacklustre delivery existed at RIM,” the judge noted.

The judge tossed out the arguments for several reasons, noting that investors were “provided with substantial warnings” about RIM’s potential pitfalls and that some of its statements were “too vague to be considered misleading.” Rather, they were “non-actionable corporate puffery.”

RIM certainly won the day where the suit is concerned, as the judge dismissed it “with prejudice.” But some of his comments are telling, including his finding that RIM didn’t keep up with its rivals.

“As a consequence, defendants have paid a price for their mistakes by way of demotions, terminations, and sizable financial setbacks,” he wrote.

“Nevertheless, corporate failings alone do not give rise to a securities fraud claim,” he added.

“Here, the facts alleged by plaintiff support a finding of corporate mismanagement, not misfeasance.”

RIM, of course, is now basking in the glow of a new BlackBerry 10 operating system and far better-than-expected fourth-quarter financial results.
    Kid Vibe, lcjr, cjcampbell and 1 others like this.
    04-02-13 10:46 AM
    Thought you all could use some comic relief this morning, read on:

BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY) was able to eke out a profit in its latest quarter. So what? said analysts at Berenberg Tuesday, which highlighted that risk/reward is still heavily skewed to the downside.

Analyst Adnaan Ahmad reiterated his Sell rating and price target of $5.00 on BlackBerry, saying the critical question that investors need to ask themselves is - "where are the sustainable profits originating from?"

Ahmad notes that the services business has historically been the margin and cash flow engine on which investors could hang onto and use as a valuation floor. This business, however, has lost 4 million subs the last two quarters. If the trend continues, it will be difficult for investors to put in a floor value. The analyst thinks this is the reason the stock has not increased despite a massive gross margin beat versus Street expectations.

The analyst said the margins on the hardware side, including Z10 in the 25-30% range, is "very commendable," yet he notes services gross margins are in the 75-80% range and software margins at 90%.

While higher than Nokia's (NYSE: NOK) 20% margin on smart devices', HTC's at 21% and Sony's/ZTE's/MMI's in the teens, they are also well below Apple's and Samsung's in the 40-50% range. "The issue here is, yes, the next two quarters could see further sell-in on Z10 (for example, a 1m unit order deal with distributor Brightstar) and the Q10, which should further benefit the gross margin mix and development, but the question remains: how sustainable is this? Can BBRY really compete on a hardware-versus-hardware basis consistently with its very innovative and fast product cycle peers? That's the concern and something that we have been harping on about for over three years."

It wasn't too long ago (2 years) since the firm issued an open letter to BlackBerry (RIMM then) suggesting that the company should close, sell, or exit the hardware business altogether and become a services-orientated company and sell its platform wares to the Apple or Android ecosystem. Even with Apple and/or Google/Samsung slicing 30% of the ARPU, it is a more sustainable business model they said. One day BlackBerry may still choose this path, but "time is ticking away as mobile device management companies (such as Airwatch and Good Technology) and Samsung (via its Knox platform) and others target this market opportunity."

The heart of the problem for BlackBerry at this point, according to the analyst, is: "many do not believe in the sustainability of the hardware margin profile, and the profitable part of the business is shrinking (losing subs). And remember this is all before the new BB10 pricing comes into play which we think will put a downward bias on ARPU."

Making maters worse for BlackBerry is that the landscape in smartphones is much more competitive than at this point last year and signs point to slower growth at the high end and peak margins.

In addition to a Sell rating on BlackBerry, the firm has Samsung, HTC, ZTE and Nokia as Sells.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-02-13 10:58 AM
    Thought you all could use some comic relief this morning, read on:

BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY) was able to eke out a profit in its latest quarter. So what? said analysts at Berenberg Tuesday, which highlighted that risk/reward is still heavily skewed to the downside.

Analyst Adnaan Ahmad reiterated his Sell rating and price target of $5.00 on BlackBerry, saying the critical question that investors need to ask themselves is - "where are the sustainable profits originating from?"

Ahmad notes that the services business has historically been the margin and cash flow engine on which investors could hang onto and use as a valuation floor. This business, however, has lost 4 million subs the last two quarters. If the trend continues, it will be difficult for investors to put in a floor value. The analyst thinks this is the reason the stock has not increased despite a massive gross margin beat versus Street expectations.

The analyst said the margins on the hardware side, including Z10 in the 25-30% range, is "very commendable," yet he notes services gross margins are in the 75-80% range and software margins at 90%.

While higher than Nokia's (NYSE: NOK) 20% margin on smart devices', HTC's at 21% and Sony's/ZTE's/MMI's in the teens, they are also well below Apple's and Samsung's in the 40-50% range. "The issue here is, yes, the next two quarters could see further sell-in on Z10 (for example, a 1m unit order deal with distributor Brightstar) and the Q10, which should further benefit the gross margin mix and development, but the question remains: how sustainable is this? Can BBRY really compete on a hardware-versus-hardware basis consistently with its very innovative and fast product cycle peers? That's the concern and something that we have been harping on about for over three years."

It wasn't too long ago (2 years) since the firm issued an open letter to BlackBerry (RIMM then) suggesting that the company should close, sell, or exit the hardware business altogether and become a services-orientated company and sell its platform wares to the Apple or Android ecosystem. Even with Apple and/or Google/Samsung slicing 30% of the ARPU, it is a more sustainable business model they said. One day BlackBerry may still choose this path, but "time is ticking away as mobile device management companies (such as Airwatch and Good Technology) and Samsung (via its Knox platform) and others target this market opportunity."

The heart of the problem for BlackBerry at this point, according to the analyst, is: "many do not believe in the sustainability of the hardware margin profile, and the profitable part of the business is shrinking (losing subs). And remember this is all before the new BB10 pricing comes into play which we think will put a downward bias on ARPU."

Making maters worse for BlackBerry is that the landscape in smartphones is much more competitive than at this point last year and signs point to slower growth at the high end and peak margins.

In addition to a Sell rating on BlackBerry, the firm has Samsung, HTC, ZTE and Nokia as Sells.
    am i too understand that they say essentially every mobile manufacturer besides google and android is a sell? BBRY is over 3X the target price of these idiots, and even at its lowest point didnt break to under $5. what idiocy...
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-02-13 11:07 AM
    The lesson you needed to learn was not to over invest in any one stock - including BB
    May be comic relief (in a way), but this is how most analysts see BB right now. That’s not too comical for those with huge investments involved. So long as they keep posting this crap and it gets passed along, the longer this stock gets held back.
    Kid Vibe likes this.
    May be comic relief (in a way), but this is how most analysts see BB right now. That’s not too comical for those with huge investments involved. So long as they keep posting this crap and it gets passed along, the longer this stock gets held back.
    Not sure about "most" but the ones with short positions anyways....They are in denial
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-02-13 11:10 AM
    I swear that the options prices at this time make no sense. we are up almost 1% today, and the $14 april 20 options only went up less than 2%, for a cost of $1.54 each. (in other words, betting on a stock price of only 25c (2%) higher in 2.5 weeks from now.

is there a reson for this? Usually the options tend to swing about 3-7X as strongly as the stock value, and I easily imagine a stock price of $17 in the next 13 trading sessions.
    04-02-13 11:11 AM
    Sorry, but reading your posts compelled me to register. I am long on BB myself. From what you have been saying here though I fear you are putting way too many eggs in one basket which is not a wise thing to do in life or in investing.
    I think that's the lesson you need to take with you here.
    04-02-13 11:12 AM
    am i too understand that they say essentially every mobile manufacturer besides google and android is a sell? BBRY is over 3X the target price of these idiots, and even at its lowest point didnt break to under $5. what idiocy...
    Why don't they just say $0.50...arseholes
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-02-13 11:13 AM
    Sorry, but reading your posts compelled me to register. I am long on BB myself. From what you have been saying here though I fear you are putting way too many eggs in one basket which is not a wise thing to do in life or in investing.
    I think that's the lesson you need to take with you here.
    I've argued against this point before. I have my entire basket in BB. Everyone has a different risk tolerance, if you can afford the loss and it won't effect your lifestyle losing a large portion of your investment, then it shouldn't be so worrisome.

04-02-13 11:16 AM
    Somehow I don't think this guy has a lot of street credibility, so I thought $5 was good for a laugh, as well as their advice to RIM a couple of years ago thrown in for good measure.

04-02-13 11:18 AM
    I swear that the options prices at this time make no sense. we are up almost 1% today, and the $14 april 20 options only went up less than 2%, for a cost of $1.54 each. (in other words, betting on a stock price of only 25c (2%) higher in 2.5 weeks from now.

is there a reson for this? Usually the options tend to swing about 3-7X as strongly as the stock value, and I easily imagine a stock price of $17 in the next 13 trading sessions.
    with the earnings report a lot of people bought options and so drove up the price for the options, now with the earnings gone nobody wants to buy options and so the premium of the
    options collapsed, also you did not get a big one way move so now the options are back to losing value over time.
    as people are dumping their options, now is about the time to start thinking about buying options as they are way cheaper than last week, provided you want options.
    04-02-13 11:24 AM
    Back in 2008 I lost $32000 on one stock and it NEVER came back.
    Nortel !!! :-)
    04-02-13 11:24 AM
    I've argued against this point before. I have my entire basket in BB. Everyone has a different risk tolerance, if you can afford the loss and it won't effect your lifestyle losing a large portion of your investment, then it shouldn't be so worrisome.
    it depends on your portfolio how you diversify, but it generallyu is the safest way to hedge your bets because you never know what will happen.

not long ago I invested 3000 in each of McDonalds, Intel, and Carnival Cruises on the basis that each is a blue chip, gives a dividend over 2%/year, and was in a recent slump. about 6mos later, I see MCD is up 15%, Intel by 4%, and CCL is down 12% (due to ship issues recently).

I could have put all 9000 into mcdonalds and be exhilaraed right now. or into carnival and be upset at the loss. But i did'nt. I diversified and as a result my overall portflio is positive, and if i wanted to i could sell MCD for profit to be used in another aquisition while the struggling CCL crawls back up to profitability.

if you dont diversify, expect to hit gold once maybe twice, then see the next big basket of eggs crash across the floor for a devestating loss of all you worked for.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-02-13 11:26 AM
113,256 ... 570571572573574 ...