702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    what with td waterhouse shows my bbry shares are now at 14.66
    Scotia iTRADE still shows 15.09

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    03-28-13 10:58 PM
    Not really.. you buy on the TSX for 17.00 cdn a share and in the mean time the Cdn dollar goes down relative to the USA dollar and you then sell the share for Cdn 17.00 you have no loss except your 17.00 in your pocket is worth less USA dollars.
    I believe you're missing the effect of arbitrage here.

Let's try a little thought experiment. As a starting point assume the dollars are at parity, and a given stock is $10 on both markets. I buy some on the TSX.

Suddenly, he(ll) freezes over (just to demonstrate how extreme things have suddenly got) and the CAD goes to USD$0.50 overnight.

The brokerage firms and others who deal in multiple markets and currencies for a living smell profit. They quickly start buying shares on the TSX at CAD$10 per share. They buy a million shares (CAD$10M) and immediately turn around and sell them on the NASDAQ, for USD$10M (the market price). They head over to the currency markets and sell the USD for CAD$20M. Doubled their money, smart b*stards.

Except it doesn't work quite that way of course. They bought on the TSX and drove the price up as they were doing it. They sell on the NASDAQ so the price is driven down. Now it's at CAD$14 up here, and the same stock is USD$7 down there. By the time they've finished the job they're actually making basically no gains because things have balanced out again. But, oooh, nice: I sell my stock for CAD$14 (market price) and gain 40% on the day. (Edit: I originally had this last sentence on the paragraph above, out of sequence. Makes more sense here.)

Of course, it doesn't work that way either because everything is done in much smaller increments, spread over hours and days, and you'd never see any such sizable transactions and gains.

Unless I'm totally missing something...

But your analysis completely ignores the fact that the stock prices will move as a result of buying and selling, so I can't accept yet that it's a complete description of how this works.
    Last edited by peter9477; 03-29-13 at 07:36 AM. Reason: moved key sentence to correct position
    03-28-13 10:59 PM
    Well, technically trades take about 4 days to clear, so if you were trading frequently you could end up spending cash you don't really have

Posted via CB10 on a BLACK Z10!
    Forgot to mention this was in a TFSA so there is no margin and I can't spend cash I don't have in the first place.
    03-28-13 11:03 PM
    I believe you're missing the effect of arbitrage here.

Let's try a little thought experiment. As a starting point assume the dollars are at parity, and a given stock is $10 on both markets. I buy some on the TSX.

Suddenly, he(ll) freezes over (just to demonstrate how extreme things have suddenly got) and the CAD goes to USD$0.50 overnight.

The brokerage firms and others who deal in multiple markets and currencies for a living smell profit. They quickly start buying shares on the TSX at CAD$10 per share. They buy a million shares (CAD$10M) and immediately turn around and sell them on the NASDAQ, for USD$10M (the market price). They head over to the currency markets and sell the USD for CAD$20M. Doubled their money, smart b*stards. And, oooh, nice: I sell my stock for CAD$14 (market price) and gain 40% on the day.

Except it doesn't work quite that way of course. They bought on the TSX and drove the price up as they were doing it. They sell on the NASDAQ so the price is driven down. Now it's at CAD$14 up here, and the same stock is USD$7 down there. By the time they've finished the job they're actually making basically no gains because things have balanced out again.

Of course, it doesn't work that way either because everything is done in much smaller increments, spread over hours and days, and you'd never see any such sizable transactions and gains.

Unless I'm totally missing something...

But your analysis completely ignores the fact that the stock prices will move as a result of buying and selling, so I can't accept yet that it's a complete description of how this works.
    K...lets see the delta on that
    03-28-13 11:03 PM
    Quote says 15.09 account says 14.66
    03-28-13 11:05 PM
    Forgot to mention this was in a TFSA so there is no margin and I can't spend cash I don't have in the first place.

I would call your institution, you should be able to trade instantly with funds from a sell (even though no real funds exist in your account)
    DragonFlyer likes this.
    03-28-13 11:06 PM
    Not sure whay that is? Here is a snipp it:

Attachment 144889
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png

that felt good
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    03-28-13 11:07 PM
    Quote says 15.09 account says 14.66
    weird...mine shows the 15.09 on both?
    03-28-13 11:08 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	78 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	144895

that felt good
    Hahaha...well done.
    BlackistheBerry and Bugmapper like this.
    03-28-13 11:09 PM
    Only for the special government workers and teachers. The rest of us gotta work.

Posted via CB10
    I work for GoC and still stuck working. Guess I not special enough

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 11:11 PM
    yeah kinda weird eh its happened before also but the gap has never been so high
    03-28-13 11:12 PM
    Very true. But this will be utilized for other purposes which I could care less about. I would only care about the SP, which will go up like before the mid 80s. Not saying it will last, but it will last long enough for me to take advantage of it, much like how I'm with BBRY right now.
    Okay just wanted to make sure you are not sending me on a wild goose chase. I will definately look into it.
    03-28-13 11:12 PM
    You know what is really annoying is that when you find a comment that you want to respond from, it is five pages behind...

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 11:13 PM
    I think we are ships passing in the night on this whole FX thing. I suppose if you had a super computer and lots of money you might be able to make some arbitrage gains . The morale of the story is if you are Long and you have more confidence in the US dollar than the Cdn dollar then buy BBRY on the US exchange and sleep better.
    03-28-13 11:14 PM
    Not sure whay that is? Here is a snipp it:

Attachment 144889
    Totally understandable. The TSX 15.09 is adjusted to incorporate BBRY's recently announced profit (plus a few cents for pain and suffering) but it was only distributed to Cdn shareholders. US profit sharing will be rolled out......"sometime in the coming months". Can't imagine how no else figured this out yet!!!
    03-28-13 11:15 PM
    Oh, I would love a tour of the BB HQ facility.
    They have about 60 buildings spread out through the city of Waterloo.
    Nothing really special about them from the outside.
    03-28-13 11:18 PM
    Musical interlude...sorry (easy is...easy, and this one is kinda fitting ):

03-28-13 11:23 PM
    You know what is really annoying is that when you find a comment that you want to respond from, it is five pages behind...

Posted via CB10
    I've been playing catch up all night
    03-28-13 11:23 PM
    They have about 60 buildings spread out through the city of Waterloo.
    Nothing really special about them from the outside.
    So what’s the local mood there? Are people excited, dejected...couldn't care less?
    03-28-13 11:26 PM
    weird...mine shows the 15.09 on both?
    I like yours better, lets go with that
    03-28-13 11:30 PM
    well I wake up to have gone from +4% to negative. lol. what happened guys?
    03-28-13 11:35 PM
    well I wake up to have gone from +4% to negative. lol. what happened guys?
    Head fake...we have the shorts running, it will be fine
    helopilot06 likes this.
    03-28-13 11:39 PM
    Well Would you look at that
    I did much better on iTRADE than I did on TDWaterhouse
    This is one screwed up stock

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg
    mikev85 likes this.
    03-28-13 11:46 PM
    Well Would you look at that
    I did much better on iTRADE than I did on TDWaterhouse
    This is one screwed up stock

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	756 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	144908
    How screwed up is that lol thats exactly what I was talking about, what does that even mean
    03-28-13 11:52 PM
    Good night all (and morning to some )
    03-28-13 11:55 PM
113,256 ... 543544545546547 ...