View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Ladies and Gents, we have done our part.

The rest is up to someone else now.

Live long and prosper will sipping on a large dollop of the MacAllan single malt.

I wish you all the best tomorrow.

Stand Sure!

https://distinctwhiskey.com/media/13...%2018%20YO.jpg
    Mmm....
    03-27-13 03:15 PM
    Well guys. I was expecting a bit of a rally today due to some short covering. The plan was to convert some common to cash as a precaution. No rally today, no sell. I'm in 100% common and tons of 14/16 April calls.

Good Luck everyone. Might start drinking tonight
    SNAP!
    fedakd and bungaboy like this.
    03-27-13 03:18 PM
    What did I say...it would be a pretty flat trading day because no one wants to risk ER tomorrow.

16hrs to go!!!!
    03-27-13 03:19 PM
    look at volkswagon only a few years ago. porsche made surprise announcements that it owned large chunks of VW stock&options, and in a 3-day period the stock roughly doubled in value, followed by a relapse back down to an overall gain of around 60%. This was with a short interest of only 11%.
    Just to be clear on the Volkswagen thing, while there was only 11% shorted, what mattered the most was that it turned out that about 94% of the stock was tied up, in Porsche's hands and the "state of Lower Saxony" per some page I just read. That left only 6% of the stock for the shorts to squabble over.

In the case of BBRY, I don't know if we have the exact numbers, but I'm not sure the ratio of shorted stock to available stock is anywhere near that high (and by "available" I don't just mean the total float). There may not be anywhere near the same pressure.
    03-27-13 03:19 PM
    For those who signed up for the conference call tomorrow, will we be receiving a live call in which we can listen but not talk?
    03-27-13 03:24 PM
    Blackberry still up 30% this quarter. What does that mean? If you're a fund you may want to buy since tomorrow is the last trading day in the quarter to make it seem like your fund did good. It's called window dressing. If there is also a good/decent amount of information tomorrow, expect this this to fly. I made sure I made cash available in my account to buy if any dips happen in the AM hours.
    03-27-13 03:25 PM
    Options Traders Foresee 'Fireworks' With RIM Earnings - MarketBeat - WSJ

Options Traders Foresee ‘Fireworks’ With RIM Earnings

By Kaitlyn Kiernan

Reuters
    Blackberry Z10
    Some options traders are wagering that BlackBerry BB.T +0.89% maker Research In Motion Ltd. will surprise investors with good news when its latest earnings report hits the tape later this week.

Last Friday’s launch of the newest BlackBerry device underwhelmed investors and the company’s stock price fell 12% from Friday through Monday. But Tuesday’s options trading saw some large bets that the company, which is slated to release fiscal fourth quarter earnings Thursday, will see its shares move higher through the end of this week.

“This is a company that can move significantly, and in the near-term, the options market is predicting some fireworks,” said Ryan Detrick, senior technical strategist at Schaeffer’s Investment Research.

BlackBerry shares added 24 cents, or 1.7%, to $14.47 on Tuesday, but the stock is down 19% from its recent high of $17.90 hit in late January.

The company’s shares slid after the U.S. launch of Research In Motion’s new touch screen Z10 smartphone Friday. Goldman Sachs Group called the device’s debut at AT&T Inc. T -0.35% stores “disappointing,” and cut the stock to neutral from buy.

On Tuesday, an analyst at Bernstein Research countered, saying in a note that he expects strong earnings from the company. “We expect the stock to respond favorably to the quarter’s reporting,” analyst Pierre Ferragu wrote in his note. Mr. Ferragu said he expects gross margins seven points ahead of consensus expectations.

Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expect the BlackBerry maker to report a loss Thursday of 29 cent a share on revenue of about $2.84 billion.

In the options market, the largest trade on the BlackBerry maker’s shares bet that Research In Motion shares would jump more than 7.5% by the end of the week.

An investor bought 10,000 weekly “call” options granting the right to buy one million shares of Research In Motion at $15 apiece through the end of day Friday. With the options costing 56 cents a share, that means the trader counts on the shares rising above $15.56–the “strike” price plus the per-share cost of the options–by the end of the week to profit.

Another popular short-term weekly option was $14.50 calls, which, at a cost of 81 cents a share, look for Research In Motion to gain at least 5.8% through the end of the week.

Meanwhile, the cost to employ a neutral trading strategy known as a “straddle” suggests the options market was pricing in a 12% move for Research In Motion shares by the end of next week in response to the Thursday’s after-hours report. The price for a straddle–a strategy involving the purchase of both “put” options, which grant the right to sell shares, and call options–is an indicator of how much a stock is expected to move following a scheduled event.

Over the past eight quarters, Research In Motion shares have risen twice in the session following the earnings report and tumbled six times. In the two positive post-earnings moves, the shares averaged a 6.1% gain. But on disappointing news they averaged a 17% decline.
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    03-27-13 03:25 PM
    For those who signed up for the conference call tomorrow, will we be receiving a live call in which we can listen but not talk?
    The only people who talk other than RIM execs are a very small handful of institutional investors and analysts, presumably with their questions lined up in advance or at least their names in a queue.
    stevenson232 and bungaboy like this.
    03-27-13 03:29 PM
    Ladies and Gents, we have done our part.

The rest is up to someone else now.

Live long and prosper while sipping on a large dollop of the MacAllan single malt.

I wish you all the best tomorrow.

Stand Sure!
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-geek-tattoo-prosper.jpg

"Our neural pathways have become accustomed to your sensory input patterns."
    lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    03-27-13 03:35 PM
    is there a BBM video chat version of the call? would be pretty neat (although i know a lot of these generally are audio only)
    03-27-13 03:37 PM
    Options Traders Foresee 'Fireworks' With RIM Earnings - MarketBeat - WSJ

Options Traders Foresee �Fireworks� With RIM Earnings
    Keep in mind it could have very well been a short trying to hedge their position.
    Assuming they hold 1 million shares.
    If the stock drops, they will gain whatever the drop is less $560,000. (Say the stock drops $2, they will gain $1.5 Million)
    If the stock climbs, they will lose $1,000,000.

This is opposed to not hedging:
    If the stock drops, they will gain whatever the drop is. (Say the stock drops $2, they will gain $2 Million)
    If the stock climbs, they will lose whatever the stock climbs. (Say the stock rises $2, they will lose $2 Million)

As you can see, hedging means you limit your risks (as well as your gains).
    If we assume a 50/50 chance of a rally or a slide. The first case you have a net gain of $0.5 Million, in the second case, not hedging, you will break even.

Hence, it would more likely be someone hedging. Unless someone absolutely knew the stock was going to climb, they are unlikely to just buy up 10,000 options hoping the stock climbs. No one makes an all or nothing bet with half a million dollars.
    03-27-13 03:38 PM
    is there a BBM video chat version of the call? would be pretty neat (although i know a lot of these generally are audio only)
    No BBM but there's a webcast which should work fine on your PlayBook or Z10: Investor Events - Canada
    03-27-13 03:42 PM
    Keep in mind it could have very well been a short trying to hedge their position.
    Assuming they hold 1 million shares.
    If the stock drops, they will gain whatever the drop is less $560,000. (Say the stock drops $2, they will gain $1.5 Million)
    If the stock climbs, they will lose $1,000,000.

This is opposed to not hedging:
    If the stock drops, they will gain whatever the drop is. (Say the stock drops $2, they will gain $2 Million)
    If the stock climbs, they will lose whatever the stock climbs. (Say the stock rises $2, they will lose $2 Million)

As you can see, hedging means you limit your risks (as well as your gains).
    If we assume a 50/50 chance of a rally or a slide. The first case you have a net gain of $0.5 Million, in the second case, not hedging, you will break even.

Hence, it would more likely be someone hedging. Unless someone absolutely knew the stock was going to climb, they are unlikely to just buy up 10,000 options hoping the stock climbs. No one makes an all or nothing bet with half a million dollars.
    +1 given the dollars involved this person is not Joe average and playing blind. There will be a reason for taking this position, along with a Plan B.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 03:44 PM
    Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 03:45 PM

I want to share the following comment from CrackBerry with you:

This says it all (comment from stocktwits by user BlueLion):
    BlueLion Mar. 27 at 4:12 PM
    $BBRY if u r a CEO and u just had a lousy quarter w/o any hope of future, would u schedule a TV appearance to talk about your company?
    Thorsten BTW scheduled an appearance on CNBC for the afternoon tomorrow.

http://crackberry.com/node/178711

BlackBerry Z10-Go Leafs Go
    03-27-13 03:46 PM
    Most people in here believe that BB10 has a future ahead of it. We're all just trying to predict selloff vs. no selloff tomorrow. Even if the company has a bright future after ER tomorrow, there might be a selloff.
    03-27-13 03:50 PM

$BBRY if u r a CEO and u just had a lousy quarter w/o any hope of future, would u schedule a TV appearance to talk about your company?

Are we heading into a Good Friday for BlackBerry? | CrackBerry.com

To paint a clearer picture of the company's future.
    nquyen likes this.
    03-27-13 03:51 PM

Well if you plan on doing damage control since you just launched in one of your largest market, then yes you do...it can be spun either way. All we can do is sit back and hope BBRY leaves little to no doubt in their continued success.
    03-27-13 03:52 PM
    Just realized I had not updated my signature since purchasing my Z10 yesterday
    bungaboy, morganplus8 and q649 like this.
    03-27-13 03:54 PM

You have to go on in either case. In and of itself his appearance means nothing. CEO's really don't get to choose. Him not appearing would be a very bad sign. Imagine: "We asked BBRY CEO TH to appear for an interview, but he declined...."

Hopefully (and I think) he is on to gloat and not to defend the stock.
    03-27-13 03:55 PM
    I think it is a very positive sign. BlackBerry sold minimum 1.5 to 2 million Z10

Guaranteed!

bungaboy and DragonFlyer like this.
    03-27-13 03:59 PM
    heh IF they sold 1.5 to 2 mil I'd estimate stock hitting $30 by end of the next week but something tells me that estimate is too high.
    03-27-13 04:02 PM
    They will use the time to hammer him and drill into whatever their short buddies want done...just sayin. Let's hope he can withstand the heat.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-27-13 04:02 PM
    heh IF they sold 1.5 to 2 mil I'd estimate stock hitting $30 by end of the next week but something tells me that estimate is too high.
    Let's hope I am right

03-27-13 04:03 PM
    have you guys been reading seeking alpha? Some very factual articles. not willing to hunt them down though, sorry.

03-27-13 04:06 PM
113,256 ... 496497498499500 ...