View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I thought we were going to see a modest rally today. Instead this thing is stagnant and even dropping. I'm increasingly uncomfortable with this. Can someone please chime-in with some upbeat news/projections. I'm feeling quite depressed right about now.
    Blackberry isn't going anywhere anytime soon. They have mucho denaro, no debt, the best product out right now and upcoming releases as well. This drag is caused by manipulation that will eventually slow down.
    03-27-13 10:26 AM
    Can someone clarify that the ER is tomorrow Pre-Market? I am still reading/seeing sources say After-Market Thursday.
    03-27-13 10:26 AM
    **for those folks who are interested in what this "short squeeze" thrown around here a lot means...**

BlackBerry targeted by short sellers as market awaits results
    10 hours ago by Thomson Reuters
    * Nasdaq data shows spike in short positions in BlackBerry

* Short positions have more than doubled from year-ago level

* BlackBerry to announce quarterly results on Thursday

* Any positive news on Z10 would raise odds of short squeeze

By Euan Rocha

TORONTO, March 26 (Reuters) - BlackBerry's share price has more than doubled over the last six months as buzz around its new smartphones has boosted investor confidence, but some traders are betting big that talk of a turnaround is over-hyped.

Nasdaq data released on Tuesday shows that short interest in the stock is at record levels and has more than doubled over the course of the last year.

With BlackBerry due to report quarterly results in two days, giving investors their first official clues on demand for its new Z10 touchscreen device, that buildup of bearish bets could send the stock price surging if the company delivers a positive surprise.

BlackBerry, a one-time pioneer in the smartphone market, hopes the device - powered by its new BlackBerry 10 operating system - and other devices soon to follow will turn its fortunes around and help it to win back market share in an ultra-competitive sector. But many traders are clearly unconvinced.

Short interest in BlackBerry's Nasdaq-listed stock has risen to more than 155 million shares, up from 136.5 million shares a month ago and 60 million at this time last year.

Traders who sell securities "short" borrow shares and then sell them in the hope that the price will fall, so they can buy them back more cheaply, return them to the lender and pocket the difference.

Markit, a financial information services company, said in a report last week that positive reviews around the Z10 have thus far failed to impress short sellers, with demand to borrow shares in BlackBerry hovering at record levels.

The firm, which collects data from custodian banks that run lending programs on behalf of investors who sometimes put their holdings into such programs, notes that roughly three-quarters of the BlackBerry shares that can be borrowed are already out on loan, meaning that it would be difficult and expensive to short any more of the company's shares at this time.

The number of short positions indicates that over 30 percent of BlackBerry's free float is currently being shorted, up from about 11 percent at this time last year.

The bearish data comes close on the heels of analysts' and media reports that the Z10 device had a rather muted launch in the United States last week.

SHORT SQUEEZE EYED

BlackBerry is hoping that the Z10 and other new devices powered by its new operating system will help it to regain ground ceded to rivals such as Apple Inc's iPhone, as well as Samsung Electronics Co's Galaxy line and other devices powered by Google Inc's market-leading Android operating system.

BlackBerry's results this week will, however, only provide investors with limited insight on demand for the Z10, which was on sale during just the final month of the latest quarter. And although the Z10 is now available in more than 25 countries, it initially went on sale only in the United Kingdom and Canada.

BlackBerry's volatile stock is nevertheless likely to swing wildly following the results on Thursday, as analysts and investors read into the numbers and extrapolate broader sales trends for the new device across the rest of the globe.

The company's stock, which closed at $14.46 on Tuesday on the Nasdaq, has already dropped roughly 10 percent since Friday after the reports of the Z10's lackluster U.S. launch.

The recent pullback in the stock ahead of results, however, may not be all bad news for those investors hoping for a big turnaround in the company's fortunes, as any positive outlook or data points from the company on Thursday would raise the prospects of a short squeeze in the stock.

In that scenario, bearish traders that sold the stock short would be forced to buy shares to avoid big losses on their positions - something that only serves to work against short sellers and push a stock higher.

Eric Jackson, the founder and managing partner of Ironfire Capital LLC, believes the size of the short position in the stock may serve as a big catalyst for BlackBerry's share price, if the company provides investors with an upbeat forecast.

"Even if they report a so-so quarter ... if they provide robust guidance for the current quarter, that could really light a fire under the stock," said Jackson, whose firm owns shares in BlackBerry.
    03-27-13 10:27 AM
    I thought we were going to see a modest rally today. Instead this thing is stagnant and even dropping. I'm increasingly uncomfortable with this. Can someone please chime-in with some upbeat news/projections. I'm feeling quite depressed right about now.
    If you're feeling depressed now, then how are you going to handle a potential big drop?
    Don't buy stocks if these small changes cause you such pain - it's not worth it.
    03-27-13 10:29 AM
    Let me help by telling you about the father bull and the son bull story.......actually nevermind, while walking down the hill last week to get the cows, both of them fell into a sink hole lol. I'm sure they'll be able to get out and continue their quest....eventually. Slow but sure.

Stay confident. From one newb to another, I've been there and done that (depressed) quite a bit since I got into this. It'll get better - in time.
    lcjr and erodenero like this.
    03-27-13 10:30 AM
    You've got guts LCJR!!
    Balls of Steel as the Kid says. No, this will play out and the SP will eventually go back up. BB has to much going on right now for this to totally tank. BB would have to go bankrupt for us to lose all our money and that's just not happening at this point. It's just a matter of waiting this out, and I don't need this money anytime soon.
    helopilot06 and Markymark 23 like this.
    03-27-13 10:30 AM
    Looks like the weak hands are starting to run for cover...
    03-27-13 10:36 AM
    Here's a small update to the Short Interest Graph.

I have one very interesting thing to point out this time.
    In the past few months, the general trend was when short interest went up, the stock price went down, and vice versa.
    Well, the last 2 weeks reporting period, the short interest went up, but the stock price still went up. This is a very clear bullish sign.
    If earnings come out positive, there are very good things to come!

Good luck tomorrow!
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry.jpg   The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry2.jpg  
    03-27-13 10:38 AM
    And I just put in my last chips on the table. Depending on what TH reports tomorrow morning, I may adjust my plans and wait longer before selling for purchase power (sounds better than just selling). Not concerned where the SP is after ER, but rather what TH reports and how he reports it.
    BBInPlay likes this.
    03-27-13 10:40 AM
    I am back in for 6000 shares at 14.56 (gulp)
    03-27-13 10:42 AM
    I seriously hope the earnings are insane so Heins can strut into CNBC at 2pm throw the hosts double middle fingers and walk off like a boss.
    03-27-13 10:44 AM
    "The number of short positions indicates that over 30 percent of BlackBerry's free float is currently being shorted, up from about 11 percent at this time last year.".
    More significant than that number alone is that this is apparently something like 75% of stock that's available to short, which is to say there's a large chunk of stock that for whatever reason (institutional stuff I assume) cannot be shorted. That 30% is misleading if you're an amateur short and weren't paying attention. Go read up on Volkswagen. :-)
    03-27-13 10:45 AM
    Oh, I was wondering what shook the market! Can't wait until I have that purchase power!!
    03-27-13 10:45 AM
    I seriously hope the earnings are insane so Heins can strut into CNBC at 2pm throw the hosts double middle fingers and walk off like a boss.
    slap the hosts for hating on bb, even if he share dipped after that i would be okay with it
    03-27-13 10:46 AM
    I'm more worried about him talking about how great an upcoming device is going to be (like last time) which could cause people to wait for something else right now.
    Welcome back
    2pm eastern time?
    03-27-13 10:48 AM
    slap the hosts for hating on bb, even if he share dipped after that i would be okay with it
    They're just upset their AAPL shares are down, down, down.
    03-27-13 10:51 AM
    They're just upset their AAPL shares are down, down, down.
    Using AT&T (Apple store front) to get back at us as well.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    03-27-13 10:52 AM
    I'm more worried about him talking about how great an upcoming device is going to be (like last time) which could cause people to wait for something else right now.
    I truly hope not. Focus Thor, focus...remember, you're not at a camp fire with friends...
    Markymark 23 and duckJAI like this.
    03-27-13 10:53 AM
    Given all the attention the stock has received, insiders should be jumping into this if money really can be made. Bears should also have been reversed. Looking at today's trend, I am expecting a mixed review of the ER tomorrow. The storm is brewing :/
    Did the Flying Penguins tell you that?
    03-27-13 11:00 AM
    Make up your mind will ya...
    You have been in and out faster than when I was a teenager... LOL..
    lcjr and Shanerredflag like this.
    03-27-13 11:01 AM
    Can someone clarify that the ER is tomorrow Pre-Market? I am still reading/seeing sources say After-Market Thursday.
    A conference call and live webcast will be held beginning at 8 am ET, which can be accessed by dialing 1-800-814-4859 or through your BlackBerry� 10 smartphone, personal computer or BlackBerry� PlayBook™ tablet at Investor Events - Canada.
    03-27-13 11:02 AM
    Did the Flying Penguins tell you that?
    OMG, this is better than going to the movies. Here we have ACTION, we have DRAMA, we definately have ADVENTURE, and of course we have COMEDY! It's almost impossible for me to get any work done with all this going on.
    03-27-13 11:06 AM
    Make up your mind will ya...
    You have been in and out faster than when I was a teenager... LOL..
    I dunno, I think as we get older we get quicker. lol
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-27-13 11:07 AM
113,256 ... 488489490491492 ...