View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    No. I'm holding what I got. I have a few books that I downloaded on investing. I will be studying call and put strategies all weekend. I may decide to play around with them next week with a little extra cash that I have sitting here doing nothing.
    Can anyone recommend any good reading for me?
    not so much reading, but at least some advice (ive made 4 BBRY calls in the past month, and am just slightly green overall because of novice mistakes):

1) don't make calls less than 2 weeks unless you KNOW the price will rise, in which case you can make big fast profit. however, if the price holds or slumps, you can watch the call diminish towards worthlessness with every day of idle.

2) don't make high-value calls because they are the least expensive risk. If the stock doesnt accelerate to the call value + price, you will see the call reduce to worthlessness even if the stock price gets close (my Mar 16, $15 calls did this, when the market decided to close right at $15)

3) make calls at least a month or two out. It gives you the necessary time to ride the spikes and dips in search of the best sell time. (generally, sell as soon as you are in a good standing, and buy on a next dip)

4) always buy on a day of dips if you can. generally, calls will move 3-10X as rapidly as the stock price. yesterday's 8% rise moved a lot of the April calls up around 30-50%

5) think through your call, where the price must be at the time of expiry when you buy it. For example, a may $25 call may be dirt-cheap, and a 10% stock price rise could double your value, but if you fail to seize the moment you will find yourself in may with a $22 stock and a call that is worthless. I would suggest looking at mid-may calls in the $16-$20 range
    BThunderW and DragonFlyer like this.
    03-21-13 01:01 PM
    Anyone famous there or mostly b and c list?
    No "A" listers, but plenty of love from others in the alphabet.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-21-13 01:05 PM
    Makes things a little clearer!!

Computerworld - A U.S. Department of Defense spokesman on Thursday said a report suggesting the defense agency is dumping BlackBerry devices was inaccurate, and that BlackBerry is still part of ongoing DoD mobile device deployment plans.

The spokesman contradicted a report in Electronista that cited "well-placed sources" as saying the Defense Department created a pending purchase order for 650,000 Apple iOS devices, including iPhones and tablets. That purchase would replace existing BlackBerry devices that are incompatible with BlackBerry 10, Electronista said.

The Z10 smartphone running BB10 goes on sale tomorrow in the U.S. on AT&T for $199.99 and a two-year contract. Other carriers will also sell the qwerty-keyboard Q10 in coming weeks.

In a telephone interview, the DoD spokesman said he didn't know where Electronista got its information, but added, "it is not from an official DoD source." He also said the BlackBerry's future at the Defense Department is still very much alive.

"We are not dumping BlackBerry as Electronista and others have indicated," said the spokesman, Air Force Lt. Col. Damien Pickart. "We're moving to multiple devices, and that includes BlackBerry."

Pickart said the Defense Department has 470,000 BlackBerry devices in use, as well as 41,000 Apple iOS devices and 8,700 Android devices.

On Feb. 15, the Defense Department's CIO Teresa Takai release a phased "Commercial Mobile Device Implementation Plan" that updates a June 2012 mobile strategy that had called for using commercial off-the-shelf products. Takai said in a February memo and in attachments released by the DoD at the time that the implementation plan was contingent on available funds with a specific goal of supporting "100,000 multivendor devices by February 2014."

The DoD's approach also permits the use of commercial smartphones and tablets over commercial carrier networks for classified communications for the first time through a new NSA security architecture, Takai said. The DoD will conduct a series of operational pilots of the process throughout its branches and divisions, she added.

BlackBerry is marketing its BlackBerry 10 devices, both the Z10 and Q10, to consumers and businesses, as well as governments globally. On Wednesday, a British government security group said BB10 is "likely to represent a viable solution" and disputed a report in The Guardian that said "BlackBerry software had been ruled not safe enough for essential government work."

The DoD spokesman also released the following statement via email confirming his earlier comments:

"The department is aware of recent reporting that asserts it is 'dropping' BlackBerry. This reporting is in error. The department recently released its mobility strategy and supporting implementation plan, which clarifies we are moving towards a mobile management capability that supports a variety of devices, to include BlackBerry. As clarified in the recent release of our Commercial Mobile Device Implementation Plan, we are working towards establishing a multi-vendor environment in support of the DoD mobility strategy.

"The Commercial Mobile Device Implementation Plan updates the June 2012 Mobile Strategy with specific objectives and puts the strategy into action. A key objective of the plan is to establish a department-wide mobile enterprise solution that permits the use of the latest commercial technology such as smartphones and tablets, and the development of an enterprise mobile device management capability and application store to support approximately 100,000 multivendor devices by February 2014. DoD currently has more than 600,000 Commercial Mobile Devices in operational and pilot use, including 470,000 Blackberries, 41,000 Apple Operating Systems and 8,700 Android Systems."

Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is [email protected].
    03-21-13 01:07 PM
    Please come down a little more so I will have the money for dinning out tonight!
    03-21-13 01:10 PM
    Im still waiting on the title of that Warren Buffet book from Charles.
    Oops...here you go:

The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham

Warren Buffet swears by it.
    kfh227, erodenero and DragonFlyer like this.
    03-21-13 01:12 PM
    BBRY: Awareness Problem Hampering Z10 Sales, Says Detwiler - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com

I tend to agree on the awareness front if not other details. Given that this is the *big launch*, BBRY has been doing little in the week or two leading up to the launch to raise awareness. If you weren't already aware of their new product, certainly there's been very little to change that over the last week.
    03-21-13 01:12 PM
    Weee! That one gave me butterflies.
    03-21-13 01:13 PM
    House cleaning needed here.

The twit can't even do the math right. Saying shares only gone up 13% in last three months. At yesterday's close it was up ~46% over last 3 months.

Go visit and leave a comment and see if they posty it.

Why BlackBerry's Turnaround May Not Last - Seeking Alpha

Why BlackBerry's Turnaround May Not Last

Although it hasn't sold a single Z10 or Q10 in the US, BlackBerry's stock has risen over 13% in the past 3 months. Meanwhile, its competitors Apple (AAPL) and Nokia (NOK) stocks' have been falling as the momentum has shifted back in favor of the once sinking ship. But, is BlackBerry's turnaround a result of superior products, or is it all just hype? Let's take a look at how the Z10 and Q10 stack up against the Apple iPhone 5, top Google (GOOG) Android phones, and the Nokia Lumia 920.
    03-21-13 01:15 PM
    A lot of garbage coming out again...
    03-21-13 01:18 PM
    not so much reading, but at least some advice (ive made 4 BBRY calls in the past month, and am just slightly green overall because of novice mistakes):

1) don't make calls less than 2 weeks unless you KNOW the price will rise, in which case you can make big fast profit. however, if the price holds or slumps, you can watch the call diminish towards worthlessness with every day of idle.

2) don't make high-value calls because they are the least expensive risk. If the stock doesnt accelerate to the call value + price, you will see the call reduce to worthlessness even if the stock price gets close (my Mar 16, $15 calls did this, when the market decided to close right at $15)

3) make calls at least a month or two out. It gives you the necessary time to ride the spikes and dips in search of the best sell time. (generally, sell as soon as you are in a good standing, and buy on a next dip)

4) always buy on a day of dips if you can. generally, calls will move 3-10X as rapidly as the stock price. yesterday's 8% rise moved a lot of the April calls up around 30-50%

5) think through your call, where the price must be at the time of expiry when you buy it. For example, a may $25 call may be dirt-cheap, and a 10% stock price rise could double your value, but if you fail to seize the moment you will find yourself in may with a $22 stock and a call that is worthless. I would suggest looking at mid-may calls in the $16-$20 range
    And always remember : you/we are rookies. Your battle against giants. They are strong. They are powerful.
    Time to say it again : do not gamble. Don't engage any penny you can afford to lose 100%. This is real money, there's no tryout or second chance. You think it's a tough world ? Nothing compares to finance toughness.

Luke, Dragon,
    I don't mean to contradict you (I have no knowledge about calls/puts), this is just a friendly reminder, as some may believe they gained accelerated knowledge and skills by reading this thread.
    Unless the situation changes drastically (and I believe we'll receive strong warnings by our most advised friends), the general, easy and cautious behavior is to stand long and quiet.
    Of course - and still - each one is totally free to act as he believes he should.

Besides that, these inputs are rich for our knowledge and comprehension of the stock market. Reason why I thank you for these, after the above statement.
    03-21-13 01:20 PM
    Makes things a little clearer!!

Computerworld - A U.S. Department of Defense spokesman on Thursday said a report suggesting the defense agency is dumping BlackBerry devices was inaccurate, and that BlackBerry is still part of ongoing DoD mobile device deployment plans.

The spokesman contradicted a report in Electronista that cited "well-placed sources" as saying the Defense Department created a pending purchase order for 650,000 Apple iOS devices, including iPhones and tablets. That purchase would replace existing BlackBerry devices that are incompatible with BlackBerry 10, Electronista said.

The Z10 smartphone running BB10 goes on sale tomorrow in the U.S. on AT&T for $199.99 and a two-year contract. Other carriers will also sell the qwerty-keyboard Q10 in coming weeks.

In a telephone interview, the DoD spokesman said he didn't know where Electronista got its information, but added, "it is not from an official DoD source." He also said the BlackBerry's future at the Defense Department is still very much alive.

"We are not dumping BlackBerry as Electronista and others have indicated," said the spokesman, Air Force Lt. Col. Damien Pickart. "We're moving to multiple devices, and that includes BlackBerry."

Pickart said the Defense Department has 470,000 BlackBerry devices in use, as well as 41,000 Apple iOS devices and 8,700 Android devices.

On Feb. 15, the Defense Department's CIO Teresa Takai release a phased "Commercial Mobile Device Implementation Plan" that updates a June 2012 mobile strategy that had called for using commercial off-the-shelf products. Takai said in a February memo and in attachments released by the DoD at the time that the implementation plan was contingent on available funds with a specific goal of supporting "100,000 multivendor devices by February 2014."

The DoD's approach also permits the use of commercial smartphones and tablets over commercial carrier networks for classified communications for the first time through a new NSA security architecture, Takai said. The DoD will conduct a series of operational pilots of the process throughout its branches and divisions, she added.

BlackBerry is marketing its BlackBerry 10 devices, both the Z10 and Q10, to consumers and businesses, as well as governments globally. On Wednesday, a British government security group said BB10 is "likely to represent a viable solution" and disputed a report in The Guardian that said "BlackBerry software had been ruled not safe enough for essential government work."

The DoD spokesman also released the following statement via email confirming his earlier comments:

"The department is aware of recent reporting that asserts it is 'dropping' BlackBerry. This reporting is in error. The department recently released its mobility strategy and supporting implementation plan, which clarifies we are moving towards a mobile management capability that supports a variety of devices, to include BlackBerry. As clarified in the recent release of our Commercial Mobile Device Implementation Plan, we are working towards establishing a multi-vendor environment in support of the DoD mobility strategy.

"The Commercial Mobile Device Implementation Plan updates the June 2012 Mobile Strategy with specific objectives and puts the strategy into action. A key objective of the plan is to establish a department-wide mobile enterprise solution that permits the use of the latest commercial technology such as smartphones and tablets, and the development of an enterprise mobile device management capability and application store to support approximately 100,000 multivendor devices by February 2014. DoD currently has more than 600,000 Commercial Mobile Devices in operational and pilot use, including 470,000 Blackberries, 41,000 Apple Operating Systems and 8,700 Android Systems."

Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is [email protected].
    Just a question for any lawyer here:
    Can BB sue the media outlet for intentionally willful liar for manipulating the stock price?
    03-21-13 01:22 PM
    Can BB sue the media outlet for intentionally willful liar for manipulating the stock price?
    While many like to see this is a media conspiracy, I think it's simpler than that.

Generally, they have no stake in the price of the stock. However, they do want page hits because that's advertising revenue - and *nothing* attracts page hits like a negative article. Simple as that.

The "sources" for the so-called leaks are a different story. Those who provide this information to the bloggers/tech writers may very well have a stake in it. But those who publish it generally don't.
    Superfly_FR and Markymark 23 like this.
    03-21-13 01:26 PM
    While many like to see this is a media conspiracy, I think it's simpler than that.

Generally, they have no stake in the price of the stock. However, they do want page hits because that's advertising revenue - and *nothing* attracts page hits like a negative article. Simple as that.

The "sources" for the so-called leaks are a different story. Those who provide this information to the bloggers/tech writers may very well have a stake in it. But those who publish it generally don't.
    I don't belive there is a media conspiracy. But I believe there are enough un-ethical journalists that are willing to peddle false or innacurate information about BlackBerry. Probably in-exchange for favors (money, influence, some other favor) from big-pocket 'shorts'.

It's not like media decided to bash BBRY. It's more likely that these big-pocket shorts hired a media-agency for negative campaign against BBRY; and these campaigners are feeding negative (false/inaccurate) information to unethical journalists and are paying these un-ethical journalists to publish it without proper verification and without providing a balancing counter narrative.
    03-21-13 01:32 PM
    No "A" listers, but plenty of love from others in the alphabet.
    That's too bad. Was our creative director there?
    03-21-13 01:34 PM
    Oops...here you go:

The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham

Warren Buffet swears by it.
    Thanks Charles, going to go by chapters tonight! PB e-books have been hurting my eyes recently.
    03-21-13 01:37 PM
    Proving intent is VERY difficult. Most of this crap goes on with very little done.
    03-21-13 01:38 PM
    Clearly and unfortunately (in some specific cases), no ... (ps: I'm no lawyer)

[about the Matt Hamblen point on DOD above]
    Guys, now let's see if Frankie can catch this on the fly ...
    So, basically, a secured infrastructure with multiple brands BYOD devices ?
    Well, well ... doesn't this sound familiar to you ?
    Let's pile tons of BES CALS boyz !

BTW : do you think we're going to break the 63% resistance this week ?
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg  
    good luck trying to prove they intended to manipulate, they will just say they were misinformed by an "anonymous source"
    I think we are starting the downward slide for today's trading.
    03-21-13 01:42 PM
    Not supporting the article, but how many people think the mix of "470,000 Blackberries, 41,000 Apple Operating Systems and 8,700 Android Systems" isn't going to shift away from BB to the other devices now that DoD isn't a single vendor, BB, agency? Assume is just goes to 50/50 over the next 2 years and that's easily 100,000 BB devices no longer in DoD, in fact 200k+. Are they "dropped" - absolutely not. Will they be phased out, or no longer in service, perhaps.... Again, I am not justifying the article, but in the end, was it so far off? It's how rumors start and get on to the web, a hint of truth and little massaging.... No different than the 1M order. Was that a single company taking 1M devices now or Verizon or AT&T placing an order for 1M devices over several quarters. Big difference, yet its still a 1M device order.
    morganplus8 and m0de25 like this.
    03-21-13 01:45 PM
    Don't speak too soon. I picked the cowbell back up.....
    03-21-13 01:48 PM
    Yip, we're going to end up where we were yesterday.
    03-21-13 01:49 PM
    Not supporting the article, but how many people think the mix of "470,000 Blackberries, 41,000 Apple Operating Systems and 8,700 Android Systems" isn't going to shift away from BB to the other devices now that DoD isn't a single vendor, BB, agency? Assume is just goes to 50/50 over the next 2 years and that's easily 100,000 BB devices no longer in DoD, in fact 200k+. Are they "dropped" - absolutely not. Will they be phased out, or no longer in service, perhaps.... Again, I am not justifying the article, but in the end, was it so far off? It's how rumors start and get on to the web, a hint of truth and little massaging.... No different than the 1M order. Was that a single company taking 1M devices now or Verizon or AT&T placing an order for 1M devices over several quarters. Big difference, yet its still a 1M device order.
    Actually it was far off as the original article said they weren't even going to be testing BB10 because it wasn't in their budget to do so.
    03-21-13 01:50 PM
    Don't speak too soon. I picked the cowbell back up.....
    I know you must be getting tired but we need just a little more to get us through the next hour!
    03-21-13 01:53 PM
    Actually it was far off as the original article said they weren't even going to be testing BB10 because it wasn't in their budget to do so.
    Thanks, they are all over the place, but apparently they are sticking by their "story". I am pasting it so you don't have to click thru if you don't want to. Adding links as I know some Mods want them there....

Update: A telephone interview that a department of defense spokesman had with Computerworld has shed some more light on the situation. The initial telephone conversation claims that the information obtained "is not from an official DoD source" and notes that the BlackBerry platform is not being dumped. Following these remarks, Electronista readdressed the report and follow-up remarks with sources, who claim that the report of the purchase order is accurate, but emphasized that the purchase awaits rectification of the government's financial situation, as previously reported.

Read more: [u] Exclusive: US DoD to purchase 650,000 iOS devices | Electronista
    Read more at [u] Exclusive: US DoD to purchase 650,000 iOS devices | Electronista
    03-21-13 01:55 PM
113,256 ... 433434435436437 ...