View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Anyone seeing this story doing the rounds about the DoD buying 650K iOS devices to replace old BlackBerry device. It comes from the same people that said they had stopped testing due to the sequestor.

Exclusive: US DoD to purchase 650,000 iOS devices | Electronista
    I said that Obama was going to do that...they were pretty cozy around the State of the Union address and Apple had agreed to bring some mfg to the US. It's just a form of subsidy...though I'm not sure if this passes the NAFTA smell test.
    03-20-13 06:40 PM
    yeah if they miss the boat on cash position i have a feeling were going to see a dip.
    Yip. That's the only area of concern that I have. Thor seemed to hint at last week. I'd like to see $2b but think it's going to be a little lower.
    03-20-13 06:46 PM
    BlackBerry commercials on CNN. Thought I was on BNN for a minute.
    lcjr likes this.
    03-20-13 06:57 PM
    How is this any different than using a self check out? Beyond maybe knowing what the cost is ahead of time?
    I thought these were interesting.

1. More than half of Wal-Mart shoppers use smartphones. (I thought it would be higher)

2. They keep track of the planned purchases and the total cost. Then they pay at a self-checkout screen, bypassing the typical registers. (They know the cost before they get to checkout so they aren't short of funds. Wal-Mart can lay off more cashiers I guess)

3. Users can get an electronic receipt. (Thought this was good idea. Fewer lost receipts, easier returns, use for warranty purposes, etc)
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-20-13 07:00 PM
    How is this any different than using a self check out? Beyond maybe knowing what the cost is ahead of time?
    Pretty soon they'll have us loading the trucks and stocking the shelves too lol.
    Seems like a save work(force) measure more than customer service issue.

Edit...Ooops ya beat me to it

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and bungaboy like this.
    03-20-13 07:07 PM
    Pretty soon they'll have us loading the trucks and stocking the shelves too lol.
    Seems like a save work(force) measure more than customer service issue.

Edit...Ooops ya beat me to it

Posted via CB10
    But you know it will be great for consumers
    03-20-13 07:12 PM
    I said that Obama was going to do that...they were pretty cozy around the State of the Union address and Apple had agreed to bring some mfg to the US. It's just a form of subsidy...though I'm not sure if this passes the NAFTA smell test.
    All we need is to see a few security breaches and they may start to rethink that decision.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-20-13 07:18 PM
    just saw this on one of the other threads

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-z10-1.jpg
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    03-20-13 07:30 PM
    All we need is to see a few security breaches and they may start to rethink that decision.
    You mean like the lockscreen one...
    or the one after the update that fixed that one....
    03-20-13 07:33 PM
    No, the one where all your information is downloaded to Wal-Mart's computer.
    Not that I'm trying to spread rumors or anything, but maybe it's possible.
    Last edited by DragonFlyer; 03-20-13 at 09:23 PM.
    03-20-13 07:46 PM
    No, the one where all your information is downloaded to Walk-Mart's computer.
    More likely "probable". I. Would want to know as much as possible about every customer if I was in their shoes.
    bungaboy and DragonFlyer like this.
    03-20-13 07:55 PM
    That's been hacked again.
    03-20-13 07:59 PM
    That's been hacked again.
    Yup and I wonder how many of the competition have had some seriously smart people trying to figure out a hack of the new BB10 to help their cause of getting into the enterprise market. Funny enough, we haven't heard a thing!! Even with a brand new OS and brand new hardware, it still can't be done.....
    03-20-13 08:03 PM
    Ok, can someone please confirm that the ridiculous DoD story from "Electronista" is just a ridiculous story! Seems rather suspect IMHO. In fact I think my dogs could have written a more convincing article. And in the midst of North America's heightened security concerns (read fears), how is this possible?? Someone tell me the article is a joke.....please.
    03-20-13 08:05 PM
    Shhh, you'll jinx them

Yup and I wonder how many of the competition have had some seriously smart people trying to figure out a hack of the new BB10 to help their cause of getting into the enterprise market. Funny enough, we haven't heard a thing!! Even with a brand new OS and brand new hardware, it still can't be done.....
    03-20-13 08:05 PM
    No, the one where all your information is downloaded to Walk-Mart's computer.
    Wouldn't put it past them, swing it something like "targeted advertising"
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-20-13 08:10 PM
    I am tempted to sell some of my positions before ER (if it gets to $18-$19) but I am not going to. I am tempted because it has happened a few times already. Stock rises up, and then dips on ER. Then I find myself thinking "wish I had sold yesterday and re-purchased today"

But I think this time it's going to be different: BlackBerry is going to beat street's expectations significantly. Possibly even break-even (if not show a positive EPS figure). Once that happens, shorts will be forced to cover. So, I am just going to hold my positions.

If this doesn't happen (that is, ER is not as great), that's fine. I will be safe in the knowledge that after a short period of dip, it'll rise again. Why? Well, because BB is going to release 6 devices this year. And we - 79 M existing BB users - will continue to buy/upgrade our devices. From existing user-upgrades alone, BB can make a lot of money and easily stay relevant for couple of more years. Let alone "new" customers (from other platforms or first time smartphone owners).

Each of these 6 device is going to create (or add to existing) buzz. First, staggered launch of Z10, then Q10 and so on. BB is going to remain in news for rest of the year. Plus, software updates. Launch of new big name apps every month (this month it was WhatsApp, next month could be Instagram or Skype or NetFlix..there will be always something to announce, buzz-worthy). Launch of new services (BB Payment etc.).

So, BB is going to remain in news, impossible to ignore, there will always be something newsworthy, and will eventually rise.

So, I am NOT going to sell even a small portion of my positions at this ER as I think, this time, it won't dip substantially. Maybe 3-10% of profit taking but no more. If I am wrong and it does dip, fine, it'll rise up again (for reasons I just mentioned).

Bottom-line : if I am right, and shorts are forced to cover, stock will rise astronomically! If I am wrong (and stock dips a lot), I'll be back to current level in another month or two. Big deal. I can easily wait it out.
    03-20-13 08:16 PM
    Shhh, you'll jinx them
    lol.... the joy's of QNX. Nothing really intermingles. Can't gain access to others unless you can gain access to the core OS and that aint gonna happen. And I'm dead serious..... I'd stake my savings on the fact that Apple, Google, Samsung, Microsoft, etc, have had people trying to find vulnerabilities since the release of the product. If they found them, trust me, it would have hit the news. If they found them, it would pave the way for an exodus from BB to other platforms.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-20-13 08:22 PM
    I am tempted to sell some of my positions before ER (if it gets to $18-$19) but I am not going to. I am tempted because it has happened a few times already. Stock rises up, and then dips on ER. Then I find myself thinking "wish I had sold yesterday and re-purchased today"

But I think this time it's going to be different: BlackBerry is going to beat street's expectations significantly. Possibly even break-even (if not show a positive EPS figure). Once that happens, shorts will be forced to cover. So, I am just going to hold my positions.

If this doesn't happen (that is, ER is not as great), that's fine. I will be safe in the knowledge that after a short period of dip, it'll rise again. Why? Well, because BB is going to release 6 devices this year. And we - 79 M existing BB users - will continue to buy/upgrade our devices. From existing user-upgrades alone, BB can make a lot of money and easily stay relevant for couple of more years. Let alone "new" customers (from other platforms or first time smartphone owners).

Each of these 6 device is going to create (or add to existing) buzz. First, staggered launch of Z10, then Q10 and so on. BB is going to remain in news for rest of the year. Plus, software updates. Launch of new big name apps every month (this month it was WhatsApp, next month could be Instagram or Skype or NetFlix..there will be always something to announce, buzz-worthy). Launch of new services (BB Payment etc.).

So, BB is going to remain in news, impossible to ignore, there will always be something newsworthy, and will eventually rise.

So, I am NOT going to sell even a small portion of my positions at this ER as I think, this time, it won't dip substantially. Maybe 3-10% of profit taking but no more. If I am wrong and it does dip, fine, it'll rise up again (for reasons I just mentioned).

Bottom-line : if I am right, and shorts are forced to cover, stock will rise astronomically! If I am wrong (and stock dips a lot), I'll be back to current level in another month or two. Big deal. I can easily wait it out.
    Was the Australian interview video? If it was, I'd love to see it. The only concern I have over what I read was the comment TH said about a "pretty good" cash position. I'd love to see the body language when he said that and the tone and tempo of his voice. If he was smug, AWESOME, but if he was a little reserved, then I'd say we're under the $2B he said previously we wouldn't fall under. If it's under, we're due for a typical post ER hit.
    03-20-13 08:26 PM
    Was the Australian interview video? If it was, I'd love to see it.
    Sorry, I didn't get understand this reference. Did somebody make a similar comment or present similar reasoning in some Australian video interview of Thorsten Heins?
    03-20-13 08:28 PM
    Lol...

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 08:33 PM
    Well, for starters... The "sequester" will not "end". In fact it is designed to implement spending cuts for a period of over a decade and those cuts are permanent (unless congress passes a bill undoing the cuts). So... If they want to wait for a decade to dump BB for Apple... I guess I'm OK with that.

Ok, can someone please confirm that the ridiculous DoD story from "Electronista" is just a ridiculous story! Seems rather suspect IMHO. In fact I think my dogs could have written a more convincing article. And in the midst of North America's heightened security concerns (read fears), how is this possible?? Someone tell me the article is a joke.....please.
    03-20-13 08:37 PM
    Anyone seeing this story doing the rounds about the DoD buying 650K iOS devices to replace old BlackBerry device. It comes from the same people that said they had stopped testing due to the sequestor.

Exclusive: US DoD to purchase 650,000 iOS devices | Electronista
    Either it is absolute liar or no one even believed this "Exclusive" story because in the AH, AAPL down 0.32% while BBRY up by 0.13%.
    Since the big moneys are never dumb, so it must be the former.
    03-20-13 08:39 PM
    I'm in the DoD and that story certainly has its flaws. I won't say some departments won't order Apple products but remember this, the DoD is huge and not every department or agency needs "secure" devices. I doubt the Directors for the Child Development Centers and such need such devices if any at all. Certainly there are more agencies and departments that do require strict security and those will NOT be bringing in Apple products. Take these "reports" with a grain of salt. I'll have to show our IT folks that article to give them a good laugh.
    Last edited by lcjr; 03-20-13 at 08:51 PM.
    03-20-13 08:41 PM
    Sorry, I didn't get understand this reference. Did somebody make a similar comment or present similar reasoning in some Australian video interview of Thorsten Heins?
    Not sure, but I understand your points made on to sell or hold. I agree...If this goes over 22.00 there won't be a significant retreat without lots of bad news, there will be to many buyers trying to get back in for that to happen. But...I've been wrong before too lol.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 08:42 PM
113,252 ... 425426427428429 ...