View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Rumors about Lenovo resurface, Canadian government not sure what future holds for BBRY

Canada industry minister unsure what will happen to BlackBerry | Reuters

'This is my opinion here but that being said, we don't know what might happen. The market is very aggressive. When you talk about the telecoms sector ... this is a very very aggressive sector.............As the Industry Minister I don't want to send a signal and I don't want it to look like I prejudged a deal or not," he added.
    03-19-13 04:46 AM
    Very quiet this morning in premarkets
    03-19-13 05:37 AM
    Rumors about Lenovo resurface, Canadian government not sure what future holds for BBRY

Canada industry minister unsure what will happen to BlackBerry | Reuters

'This is my opinion here but that being said, we don't know what might happen. The market is very aggressive. When you talk about the telecoms sector ... this is a very very aggressive sector.............As the Industry Minister I don't want to send a signal and I don't want it to look like I prejudged a deal or not," he added.
    Sounds like there's something afoot.
    03-19-13 06:04 AM
    I agree..there is some info flying around, but dont want to make any statements yet.. but watch out for lenovo.. they are more serious with bbry than it might seem.
    03-19-13 06:24 AM
    I agree..there is some info flying around, but dont want to make any statements yet.. but watch out for lenovo.. they are more serious with bbry than it might seem.
    Heck, at very worst we know these rumors will give a temporary boost to the price - a chance to sell the news until they're denied for the third time
    OMGitworks likes this.
    03-19-13 06:46 AM
    Nahh, just a reporter trying to get some mileage out of a rumour by asking the minister an awkward question about a touchy subject. Paradis didn't bite, but he had to say something that sounded neutral for fear of reigniting the rumour and affecting the markets. You can read whatever you want into that quote, either a takeover is very possible, or it would be almost impossible.
    03-19-13 06:48 AM
    Premarkets for BBRY are positive this morning +1% so far...
    cjcampbell and Shanerredflag like this.
    03-19-13 07:23 AM
    Interesting article in Glob & Maul today.

In China, the smartphone shift has begun

In China, the smartphone shift has begun - The Globe and Mail
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    03-19-13 07:32 AM
    Lenovo seems to wanna hold serious card before it's too late.
    It might be beyond OS licensing.
    03-19-13 07:38 AM
    Nahh, just a reporter trying to get some mileage out of a rumour by asking the minister an awkward question about a touchy subject. Paradis didn't bite, but he had to say something that sounded neutral for fear of reigniting the rumour and affecting the markets. You can read whatever you want into that quote, either a takeover is very possible, or it would be almost impossible.
    Here is the link to the Glob & Maul version.

Industry Minister Paradis hopes BlackBerry remains a 'national champion' - The Globe and Mail
    03-19-13 07:45 AM
    How three contrarians found value in unloved stocks

How three contrarians found value in unloved stocks - The Globe and Mail

TERRY CAIN

Special to The Globe and Mail

Published Monday, Mar. 18 2013, 3:36 PM EDT

Last updated Tuesday, Mar. 19 2013, 7:22 AM EDT

They are two of the best-known companies in Canada. One is a 75-year-old institution with a leading position in the country’s transportation sector. The other is an international leader (and cultural phenomenon) in mobile communications. And last summer they were completely out of favour with the investment community.

Air Canada’s stock was trading below $1 per share. There were rumblings the company could be forced to go through another restructuring under bankruptcy protection. By the end of July, more analysts rated the company a sell or hold than a buy – an extremely rare situation on Bay Street.

Research In Motion Ltd. shares had slipped below $8 apiece. The BlackBerry maker had reported hundreds of millions of dollars in losses and was laying off thousands of workers. Analyst sentiment had turned overwhelmingly negative on the company. Of 46 researchers tracking RIM, no less than 43 had either a hold or sell rating. Only three lonely voices thought it might be a good time to buy Research In Motion shares.

So what happened to these unloved stocks?

Air Canada shares began to take off early in September. By January of this year they were cruising just under $2.50 share – a rise of 150 per cent from their summer lows.

RIM shares started moving around the same time, and while they had some ups and downs, by mid-January they had approached $18, for a 125-per-cent return on investment for those who bought at the bottom.

Of course hindsight is 20-20, and there are thousands of out-of-favour stocks that stay that way. But the examples of Air Canada and RIM show the returns can sometimes be outstanding by going against the grain, and practising what some call contrarian investing.

Benj Gallander is widely considered to be Canada’s top authority on contrarian investing. He has literally written the book on the subject (in addition to two other bestsellers). He has 35 years of experience in the investing industry and has run his “Contra the Heard” investment letter for 18 years. His model portfolio enjoyed a return of 30.4 per cent last year, and has a 15-year annualized return of 14.9 per cent.

“My style has always been contrarian,” Mr. Gallander says. “I guess it’s just how my brain works.”

Mr. Gallander’s approach is to look for companies that have been around for at least 10 years, and have been successful in the past. Then he buys them only when they are available at a deep discount to their historical trading price, with an expected upside of at least 100 per cent for the stock. Mr. Gallander tracks a company for a minimum of six months, and often as much as two to three years, before making a purchase.

There are some key criteria he is looking for when evaluating a company. They include minimal or no debt, a strong management track record, and an industry that is not in decline.

It can seem easy when you look at Mr. Gallander’s approach – but independent equity researcher Chris Damas has a blunt warning.

“Contrarian investing is like holding a loaded gun. If you don’t know what you are doing, you can blow your foot off.”

Mr. Damas is principal of BCMI Research, an independent equity research and trading company based in Barrie, Ont. Despite that warning, he says contrarianism almost always has better returns than buying a popular investment, because when sentiment turns from negative to positive, there is more room for the depressed stock to swing to the upside.

Unlike Mr. Gallander, who most often buys stocks trading at less than $10 per share, Mr. Damas recommends individual investors reduce risk by practising contrarianism only on the top 60 or 100 companies in size – and usually not in commodity sectors. He cites Yellow Media Inc. and Poseidon Concepts Corp. as two recent examples of possible small-cap contrarian plays that would have burned investors.

Larry Sarbit also keeps risk top of mind. Mr. Sarbit has 27 years of experience in the investment industry, including managing mutual funds for Investors Group and AIC. He now manages the IA Clarington Sarbit Equity Trust. He is a value investor – and for him that often includes a contrarian approach. “That’s where the opportunities are. You don’t find bargains where everyone’s happy.”

Mr. Sarbit seeks out overlooked stocks, then looks at the company’s fundamentals, growth prospects and sustainable advantages. He then talks to company management, and considers the outlook for the company’s industry. Finally, he determines whether the company’s stock is reasonably priced – or even better, trading at a “cheap” price.

“You lower risk when you meet these qualifications,” Mr. Sarbit says. “You also should ask yourself what can go wrong? And not how much can I make, but how much might I lose? If at every step you ask the right questions, you reduce your risk.”

Another key part of the contrarian plan is an exit strategy – that is, one must plan when to sell a stock to lock in profits. Mr. Gallander says having an exit strategy “is huge.” He makes sure to set a target selling price for his investment when he buys a stock. When the target is reached, he will sell half or even all of his investment.

Mr. Damas says he finds rules such as selling half your investment when it doubles “too robotic. If it is a cyclical industry, you need to have an idea about the industry and its past, and exit when the sector is peaking.”

Mr. Damas was one of the contrarians who took a flyer on Air Canada. He bought the stock (and recommended it to his clients) as it broke above $1 per share. However, he cautions that airlines are high risk and most “do-it-yourself” investors would have no clue how to properly analyze an airline company and its financials.

Mr. Gallander is generally not a fan of airlines, though he made a classic contrarian play in the sector: he bought KLM Royal Dutch Airlines shares not long after the attacks of 9/11. The stock eventually quadrupled from his purchase price.

As for RIM, it got the attention of all three contrarians when it traded for only slightly more than the net cash on its balance sheet. Mr. Gallander bought some for his fund at two times late last year, and still holds it – despite its rally, the shares have yet to reach his target price. When you are an experienced contrarian investor, patience is just as important as independent thinking.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-19-13 07:58 AM
    Call me "Contrarian"!
    03-19-13 08:02 AM
    This guy makes an interesting comparison between phones and tvs
    Why BlackBerry Is A Better Investment Than Apple - Seeking Alpha
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-19-13 08:21 AM
    Strong start for z10 in indonesia with some encouraging forecasts:

"The research note said industry feedback suggested the initial reaction to Z10 was strong, with unit sales expected to reach 100,000 over the next six months. "Leading retailer Erajaya has already sold almost all of its 19,000 units allocated and is trying to secure additional stock. Rising smartphone adoption (currently around 15 percent) is a key driver for our positive sector thesis."

Indonesia's biggest cellular provider Telkomsel, a unit of PT Telkom, expects its BlackBerry subscriber base to grow to 40 percent in 2013 while Indosat has the most aggressive data pricing among major operators, with 11 rupiah per megabyte (MB), the note said.
    http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSL3N0CB6ZC20130319?irpc=43
    03-19-13 08:25 AM
    Another positive article.

STOCKS NEWS INDONESIA-New BlackBerry model to boost telcos' data revenue - Macquarie

Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:23pm EDT

Macquarie Equity Research said the recent launch of BlackBerry's new Z10 model in Indonesia will help boost data revenue of telecommunication firms.

"Data now accounts for 20 percent of industry revenues, which we expect will grow conservatively by 25-30 percent in 2013, effectively driving 65 percent of industry growth of 8-9 percent. The successful launch of smartphones provides upside to estimates," analyst Riaz Hyder said in a note on Tuesday.

The research note said industry feedback suggested the initial reaction to Z10 was strong, with unit sales expected to reach 100,000 over the next six months. "Leading retailer Erajaya has already sold almost all of its 19,000 units allocated and is trying to secure additional stock. Rising smartphone adoption (currently around 15 percent) is a key driver for our positive sector thesis."

Indonesia's biggest cellular provider Telkomsel, a unit of PT Telkom, expects its BlackBerry subscriber base to grow to 40 percent in 2013 while Indosat has the most aggressive data pricing among major operators, with 11 rupiah per megabyte (MB), the note said.

However, the research house said it is concerned about the operators' ability to cope with accelerating data usage although capex intensity is likely to remain high in the medium term as operators ramp up 3G coverage.

Shares of Indosat rose 2.42 percent to 6,350 rupiah while Telkom shares were up 0.95 percent at 10,600 rupiah. Erajaya shares rose 0.78 percent to 3,225 rupiah. The broader index was up 0.57 percent.
    03-19-13 08:25 AM
    03-19-13 08:29 AM
    Open in the green with a spike.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    03-19-13 08:31 AM
    1.5 million shares in first 5 minutes?
    03-19-13 08:35 AM

The company is trading 18% below its 52-week high, yet 28% above the consensus mean target price of $10.90 for the company. BlackBerry was trading Monday for $15.16, up almost 1% for the day.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-david-alton-clark_origin.png

Fundamental Review

Fundamentally, BBRY has many positives. The company's net profit margin is improving quarter over quarter. The company trades for 9.5 times free cash flow and 83% of book value. BBRY has no long-term debt. EPS is expected to rise by 64% next year.

Technical Review

Technically, BBRY has been in a long-term uptrend since hitting a low of $6 in late September. The stock is currently trading at the very bottom of the uptrend channel. This is precisely the time to start a position.

My Take

I was long the stock but stopped out when the stock began to lose altitude after spiking to $16 on news of a one million unit order. Goldman's Simona Jankowski sees 2 to 3 million BB10 shipments apiece for the May and November quarters. Jankowski says Z10 checks at nearly 40 stores in 4 countries indicate "most stores had a successful launch week, followed by steady demand." Jefferies' Peter Misek says his checks indicate build orders have been raised 3 times in 6 weeks, and speculates the 1 million unit order likely came from a U.S. carrier or a top distributor.

BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins took a jab at Apple's iPhone Monday. According to a WSJ article, Mr. Heins highlighted the "fantastic job" Apple did in designing the iPhone, yet goes on to say that Apple's underlying operating system is outdated.

BBRY's BlackBerry Z10 has been long awaited. With the launch of the BlackBerry Z10, I posit the sales numbers will impress. With an earnings report looming the stock is definitely in play. I posit they will definitely beat expectations. I am looking to get back in prior to earnings.

David Alton Clark has over 20 years of experience in business. Clark has worked as a managing consultant, registered FINRA securities representative and as an accountant with the international accounting firm Ernst & Young. He received his Bachelors of Business Administration in Accounting from The University of Texas - San Antonio, where he was a member of the Beta Alpha Psi National Accounting Honors Fraternity. Clark has passed the Series 63, 22 and real estate exams.
    bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    03-19-13 08:36 AM
    Just out of curiosity, what would that do to our stock and share prices?
    03-19-13 08:38 AM
    Ok gang, what's the predicted high for today? I'm saying $15.50 or there abouts.....
    DragonFlyer likes this.
    03-19-13 08:40 AM
    OK... I've figured out everything! We have some curious behaviour by the bears who continue to short this stock in increasing levels even though the SP is on the rise since last summer. We also have a CEO of another corporation who can't keep Blackberry off his mind. If I put 2 and 2 together I get..... wait for it.... Lenovo is doing all the short selling and manipulation of the stock. They want to keep the share price down so when they do a takeover they can say "See! your shares are trading at $12 - $15 for the last several months. We will offer you a $5 premium and buy the whole company for $20 a share".

(Hey, if they can start rumours, so can I)
    03-19-13 08:41 AM
    OK... I've figured out everything! We have some curious behaviour by the bears who continue to short this stock in increasing levels even though the SP is on the rise since last summer. We also have a CEO of another corporation who can't keep Blackberry off his mind. If I put 2 and 2 together I get..... wait for it.... Lenovo is doing all the short selling and manipulation of the stock. They want to keep the share price down so when they do a takeover they can say "See! your shares are trading at $12 - $15 for the last several months. We will offer you a $5 premium and buy the whole company for $20 a share".

(Hey, if they can start rumours, so can I)
    lol even the inept SEC would be all over that one in a second
    03-19-13 08:44 AM
    Ok gang, what's the predicted high for today? I'm saying $15.50 or there abouts.....
    Today's a weird day. If there's no news or rumors, we've already hit our high of the day and will stay between 14.63 and 15.10

Don't ask me where I pulled that from - just make sure to wash it before you use it.
    lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    03-19-13 08:49 AM
    Today's a weird day. If there's no news or rumors, we've already hit our high of the day and will stay between 14.63 and 15.10

Don't ask me where I pulled that from - just make sure to wash it before you use it.
    Now that was funny. I needed that this morning. Yep, a bit ambitious on my part but it's Tuesday and I'm feeling pretty good.
    03-19-13 08:52 AM
113,250 ... 404405406407408 ...