View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I put a buy limit of 12.50 edit from 12 since the earnings report will come out. I'm thinking it will drop right before then, people will be profit taking before earnings in my opinion then shoot up after it comes after hours. Thoughts? Kind of relating this to apple earnings

Posted via CB10
    Actually the good thing about the upcoming ER is that it's before market opens. No worries about what happens in the after hours.

Come to think of it, if this is the strategy you wish to follow, you might want to change the date to the 27th. If the ER is bad, then you'll be buying on the way down. Probably not what you want to be doing.
    Last edited by cjcampbell; 03-16-13 at 05:00 PM.
    03-16-13 04:23 PM
    I put a buy limit of 12.50 edit from 12 since the earnings report will come out. I'm thinking it will drop right before then, people will be profit taking before earnings in my opinion then shoot up after it comes after hours. Thoughts? Kind of relating this to apple earnings

Posted via CB10
    I'm kind of relating this to netflix earnings.
    cjcampbell and bungaboy like this.
    03-16-13 04:49 PM

Posted via CB10
    You shouldn't be buying BBRY if it drops to 12.50 at earnings bc the only reason for BBRY to trade near that level after ER is due to horrible z10 sales number and/or massive cash burn in q4. And if that happens, BBRY would fall way below 12.

However, if the report is positive, BBRY will trigger a massive short squeeze prompting the shorts to cover and it could cause stops to get triggered causing a huge price run up.

The worst advice that someone gave me when I was learning to trade was "buy low, sell high". That advice has cost me dearly.

Scratch the whole thing above, I didnt read ur post correctly
    03-16-13 04:50 PM
    You shouldn't be buying BBRY if it drops to 12.50 at earnings bc the only reason for BBRY to trade near that level after ER is due to horrible z10 sales number and/or massive cash burn in q4. And if that happens, BBRY would fall way below 12.

However, if the report is positive, BBRY will trigger a massive short squeeze prompting the shorts to cover and it could cause stops to get triggered causing a huge price run up.

The worst advice that someone gave me when I was learning to trade was "buy low, sell high". That advice has cost me dearly.
    I'm curious about that last sentence. In theory, it sounds sound. I'm super new to the market so any time I have a chance to learn something new, I'll take it.
    03-16-13 04:54 PM
    I'm curious about that last sentence. In theory, it sounds sound. I'm super new to the market so any time I have a chance to learn something new, I'll take it.
    Ditto. Can you be more precise about what you mean "buy low, sell high" is bad advice. And I think the chance of his order getting filled is pretty slim at $12.50. This thing is a spring and if the shares drop to $13 or $14 dollars the bulls will vacuum them up long before $12.50. IMHO!!!
    DragonFlyer and bungaboy like this.
    03-16-13 04:58 PM
    A badly beaten down stock is there for a reason and whatever that reason is is obviously a negative one. As a beginner, you are highly unlikely to be able to see things that the other market participants miss. That is why most of the stocks that fall would never recover and would likely fall even further. Making the proposition of bottom fishing (for beginners) a highly expensive endeavour.
    BlackistheBerry and Bugmapper like this.
    03-16-13 05:06 PM
    I think what he might mean is don't try to time the market...proper research and faith in that research is ultimately more profitable because you hold the stock and don't panic when it dips a bit.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 05:08 PM
    Ditto. Can you be more precise about what you mean "buy low, sell high" is bad advice. And I think the chance of his order getting filled is pretty slim at $12.50. This thing is a spring and if the shares drop to $13 or $14 dollars the bulls will vacuum them up long before $12.50. IMHO!!!
    Buy low and sell high is great in theory but hard to implement. When is the stock at its low and when is it at its high, these are multimillion dollar questions.

I think better advice would be stay disciplined. For me I buy a stock and if the price goes below or above set levels I sell.

Posted via CB10
    BlackistheBerry likes this.
    03-16-13 05:14 PM
    A badly beaten down stock is there for a reason and whatever that reason is is obviously a negative one. As a beginner, you are highly unlikely to be able to see things that the other market participants miss. That is why most of the stocks that fall would never recover and would likely fall even further. Making the proposition of bottom fishing (for beginners) a highly expensive endeavour.
    Ah yes... ok. I get it. Don't buy at the end of, or during, a long run down expecting an upturn without any reasonable research behind your decision. At least I think that's what you mean.
    03-16-13 05:15 PM
    +1

Remember the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay liquid. Thus, you game plan cannot be thay you will continue to average down forever because you believe the stock is miss priced.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR and bungaboy like this.
    03-16-13 05:16 PM
    Ah yes... ok. I get it. Don't buy at the end of, or during, a long run down expecting an upturn without any reasonable research behind your decision. At least I think that's what you mean.
    Yes, in a way. Sorry if my explanation is confusing. English is not my first language
    cjcampbell and bungaboy like this.
    03-16-13 05:19 PM
    I have never bought options before. Say you have 2000 bbry shares and you want to hedge for the er, how many options would you purchase and at what price? Note that i am not going to go out and do anything people post, just interested in seeing what others would do. Thanks
    03-16-13 05:40 PM
    'Buy low sell high' works for me. I guess it is all about your interpretation of the phrase.
    A better phrase would be 'Buy on the way up, Sell on the way down'.
    In my warped head, they both mean the same.
    03-16-13 05:44 PM
    My final post (11:45 PM here)

"Z10 is addictive by design"
    (c) me, now!

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 05:47 PM
    Yes, it could go to 13 - just a few days ago, it *was* 13. If we have a *bad* earnings release it will go to 9 or 10. If we have an "ok" release - slightly belwo expectations, I could easily see 12. If we beat expectations... welll, then things will get interesting.

Remember this stock has a tendency to jump up or down 10-15% on any news. And 7-8% on no news at all...
    Understood Marc, I've been a victim of the volatility. But c'mom, why are more than a few so pessimistic about the ER?? Now if I have to eat my words on the 28th I will...but from ALL of the indicators, it's gonna be good and BBRY is in line to show them that this is just the beginning. Remember...almost all of the negative news (and the ensuing manipulation) has been generated by the short interest. Period. That's a given. The positive news, with exception to those who have a direct interest in the company, has been generated by those who understand the technology and the potential of the BB10 OS - and not just in terms of the next 6 BBRY's and the Playbook. I don't play the stock market (my money is in someone elses's hands) but BBRY is the exception - this is where all of the CB members' insight comes into play naturally. I actually believe it's a superior product, a superior experience and possesses the DNA to change mobile computing. And I've invested accordingly.

And blah, blah, blah...I can go on and on but the bottom line is I'm looking forward to the "interesting" as you described. Btw, "interesting" followed by "ok, I'm convinced" has garnered/retained 80 million or so customers over the years and that number is just going to rise with BBRY's clever integration of the old and the new with a remarkable focus on what people actually need, what they use and what works.

End of sermon. Hey...gonna buy one more time. Sir Morgan (and I mean that sincerely as I've the utmost respect)...I'm thinking Monday morning during the sickeningly consistent 10 - ish dip. Your (or anyone else's) thoughts??? Thanks guys.
    03-16-13 06:16 PM
    Ya I poked my nose around here for a couple of years before I finally decided to contribute and now I can't shutup.
    We thank you for your participation here.
    Markymark 23 and DragonFlyer like this.
    03-16-13 06:24 PM
    Understood Marc, I've been a victim of the volatility. But c'mom, why are more than a few so pessimistic about the ER??
    I've touched on this in another thread (or perhaps elsewhere in this one). I agree that every indication is that it's going to beat the street. That being said: every expectation from BBRY was that the BB 10 release would have some big surprises in store . The fact that it didn't hints that maybe they're a little out of touch with what investors expectations are. Record-setting opening sales are great - but consider that those records were set when the market was 10% of its current size. Similarly, sales that beat their optimistic expectations are great for their morale - but what was the baseline of their expectations?

What it comes down to is that I've seen BBRY (and RIMM) fall short on delivering expectations many times now - and every time *they* seemed to think that things were looking great.

I hope to be wrong, and I give it about a 70% chance that I am. But if I'm right there's no question this stock will be taking a hard turn south for the next little while or two.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    03-16-13 06:28 PM
    I'm kind of thinking we are going up with minimal dips till ER...option sweeps are behind us for a bit and there is some pretty decent news with the Indonesian launch, BB10 PlayBook announced (kinda) and the AT&T pre sale being well supported...Not to mention if Sprint or TMO release early...just my two cents.

Posted via CB10
    DragonFlyer and Markymark 23 like this.
    03-16-13 06:31 PM
    Actually the good thing about the upcoming ER is that it's before market opens. No worries about what happens in the after hours.

Come to think of it, if this is the strategy you wish to follow, you might want to change the date to the 27th. If the ER is bad, then you'll be buying on the way down. Probably not what you want to be doing.
    Yip. If you're really concerned you could setup some stops.

However, I am staying away from that because of the ever-present bear raids. If you're not watching constantly, with your hand on the trigger, you could lose what you have with a triggered stop and then sadly (once you have a chance to see it) realize that the stock has soared and you're not in the game.

Risk all around but I am confident that BBRY is a good investment and the downside risk (from my position) is near perfect.
    cjcampbell, bungaboy and BBInPlay like this.
    03-16-13 07:10 PM
    +1

Remember the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay liquid. Thus, you game plan cannot be thay you will continue to average down forever because you believe the stock is miss priced.

Posted via CB10
    I did exactly this, starting at 19 and buying all the way down for 7, app is 11:30.

It has served me well so far.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-16-13 07:18 PM
    I've touched on this in another thread (or perhaps elsewhere in this one). I agree that every indication is that it's going to beat the street. That being said: every expectation from BBRY was that the BB 10 release would have some big surprises in store . The fact that it didn't hints that maybe they're a little out of touch with what investors expectations are. Record-setting opening sales are great - but consider that those records were set when the market was 10% of its current size. Similarly, sales that beat their optimistic expectations are great for their morale - but what was the baseline of their expectations?

What it comes down to is that I've seen BBRY (and RIMM) fall short on delivering expectations many times now - and every time *they* seemed to think that things were looking great.

I hope to be wrong, and I give it about a 70% chance that I am. But if I'm right there's no question this stock will be taking a hard turn south for the next little while or two.
    I don't have this has happened since TH has been at the helm.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-16-13 07:20 PM
    My final post (11:45 PM here)

"Z10 is addictive by design"
    (c) me, now!

Posted via CB10
    It certainly is. I am just back from holidays today and haven't put it down. Moreover, a lot of people that saw me using it asked about it and said they liked it a lot.
    Superfly_FR and bungaboy like this.
    03-16-13 07:20 PM
    I have found that it matters most why the stock is low, what the fundamentals are and have been, and what is the likelihood of things turning around.
    03-16-13 07:43 PM
    Glad to see input from both sides here. It`s a tough call with the ER coming up as we have no indication of the number of sales BB has generated this ER. As for Netflix, that is def wishful thinking for BB to pull off what they did, but remember these are two entirely different markets. Correct me if I am wrong, but Netflix completely dominates the one their in whilst BB is in an ultra competitive market with low market share. However, the good thing is, they have more room to grow IMO than their competition.

Since ER is reported on Friday (holiday), we won`t see action until Monday. That may give us some breathing room if ER is lackluster, but pre-market may work against us (not sure how big)... Then again, I`m with the TSX so not sure how pre-market works there.

If sales are better than expected, I predict a possible 8-12% boost in share price.

Didn't realize this thread was here. I've been steadily buying BBRY from around $9.25 and I've accumulated close to 40000 shares so far. I've been trading profitably for over 7 years now and BBRY price action is acting a lot like other current big stocks that has taken a lot of beating in the past.
    Damn, that`s a lot of shares!
    03-16-13 07:45 PM
    I don't have this has happened since TH has been at the helm.

Posted via CB10
    Launch event. In the days leading up to it, management had been saying that they still had some surprises up their sleeves for the launch itself. The only actual surprise was Alicia Keys...

Since ER is reported on Friday (holiday),
    It's reported on the morning of the 28th, which is Thursday.
    gp656 and Kid Vibe like this.
    03-16-13 07:47 PM
113,256 ... 392393394395396 ...