View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    BlackBerry plans security feature for Android, iPhone | News | Tech | Toronto Sun

BlackBerry will offer technology to separate and make secure both work and personal data on mobile devices powered by Google Inc’s Android platform and by Apple Inc’s iOS operating system, the company said on Thursday. Jefferies analyst Peter Misek said he expects BlackBerry’s device management software to gain traction this year, and boost revenue next year.
    03-14-13 04:22 PM
    Sorry BBB, I know Excel, but not Google Chrome. I'll have to check it out tonight after work.
    03-14-13 04:23 PM
    BlackBerry plans security feature for Android, iPhone | News | Tech | Toronto Sun

BlackBerry will offer technology to separate and make secure both work and personal data on mobile devices powered by Google Inc’s Android platform and by Apple Inc’s iOS operating system, the company said on Thursday. Jefferies analyst Peter Misek said he expects BlackBerry’s device management software to gain traction this year, and boost revenue next year.
    oh yeah gaining traction and boosting revenue, keep that train moving!
    03-14-13 04:24 PM
    Just read this about the $1 Million order
    I still think that was Verizon.
    03-14-13 04:24 PM
    Any excel expert here?
    I need some help here.
    I just switched from IE to Google Chrome for my TDAmeratride. When I copy the data from a watch list to my excel using (Copy from the webpage then paste as text into excel), all the data appears in first column. I don't have this problem when I use IE.
    For example, the data from the watch list are as follows:

A1 B1 C1 D1 E1
    A2 B2 C2 D2 E2

When they are pasted into the excel, it looks like this
    A1

B1

C1

D1

E1

A2

B2

C2

D2

E2

I need the pasted data in excel just like
    A1 B1 C1 D1 E1
    A2 B2 C2 D2 E2

Is there any trick to do that with Google Chrome.

Thanks in advance.
    Sorry dude, dont have chrome at work so I cant even attempt this.
    03-14-13 04:25 PM
    oh yeah gaining traction and boosting revenue, keep that train moving!
    This is an example of why I think Blackberry will be strictly a software giant next year sometime, after the planned devices are delivered.
    I still think that was Verizon.
    is it vzw that has an exclusive on the white z10s?
    This is an example of whay I think Blackberry will be strictly a software giant next year sometime, after the planned devices are delivered.
    I like the sound of this honestly, hardware business may as well be licensed to another manufacturer. It'll take a whole lot of stress off the balance sheet.
    03-14-13 04:29 PM
    According to a redacted email over at BlackBerryOS, VZ are looking to move up their launch by one week: BlackBerryOS.com - Is Verizon Seriously Considering Moving Up Their BlackBerry 10 Launch Date?
    Shanerredflag, kfh227 and bungaboy like this.
    03-14-13 04:29 PM
    I like the sound of this honestly, hardware business may as well be licensed to another manufacturer. It'll take a whole lot of stress off the balance sheet.
    I think that is too soon for them to become a software only company just yet, 3-5yrs
    03-14-13 04:30 PM
    is it vzw that has an exclusive on the white z10s?
    Supposedly, but I wouldn't bank on it until the dust settles.
    03-14-13 04:32 PM
    First post in this thread here. I bought into BBRY shares right before the BB10 launch. I'm hurting right now but I have my eye on the long-term and feel pretty confident.

I do have a question though, will licensing or selling their hardware department help or hurt shares? I ask this as a technical question.
    03-14-13 04:33 PM
    I think that is too soon for them to become a software only company just yet, 3-5yrs
    That's possible too. Heck, even 3-5 years is short term for them.
    03-14-13 04:33 PM
    First post in this thread here. I bought into BBRY shares right before the BB10 launch. I'm hurting right now but I have my eye on the long-term and feel pretty confident.

I do have a question though, will licensing or selling their hardware department help or hurt shares? I ask this as a technical question.
    it could go either way depending on the sentiment. if they are selling/licensing hardware department because they cant keep up with demand, Great. If they are selling the hardware business because it isnt profitable....that could be another dip. Then again even if its not profitable, investors might see this as a plus if they sell because it will open up a whole bunch of free cash to spend on software.

Just my 2c
    knownastron likes this.
    03-14-13 04:35 PM
    no doubt, they dont need to do this right away esp. since people are familiar with the bb hardware. Once the software becomes second nature i think they can rely heavier on it and license to other hardware manufacturers.
    03-14-13 04:36 PM
    Doesn't BB garner any revenue from QNX? If so, why is that completely overlooked?
    bungaboy likes this.

You'll have assorted views and opinions on that question. It is a very good question you asked too. Personally, I think they will be better off with just being the proprietor of the greatest software on the planet. Every large corporation that has stringent security requirements will be lined up at their door.
    knownastron likes this.
    Bsquare to Distribute QNX Operating System and Development Tool Products

BELLEVUE, WA and OTTAWA--(Marketwire - Feb 26, 2013) - BSQUARE Corporation (NASDAQ: BSQR), a leading enabler of smart connected systems, and QNX Software Systems Limited, a leader in software platforms for connected embedded systems, today announced that Bsquare has become an authorized distributor of QNX� operating system and development tool products in the United Kingdom. Bsquare will also continue to provide engineering services for QNX-based development within the medical, industrial automation and general embedded markets worldwide.

"Bsquare is very familiar with the QNX Neutrino operating system, having provided engineering services on the platform for a number of years," said Andrea Blaylock, director, channel strategies, QNX Software Systems. "We are pleased to expand our relationship with Bsquare and look forward to working together to grow the community of QNX-based solutions through licensing, development tools and engineering services."

"As the embedded market continues to grow, the need for an operating system that can support mission-critical solutions is also growing," said Mike Stipe, Bsquare senior vice president of worldwide sales and marketing. "The addition of QNX product distribution to the Bsquare portfolio fills a need for our customers who are creating medical, automotive, industrial and networking products that require mission-critical functionality. This distribution agreement complements the QNX engineering work that Bsquare already does worldwide by giving Bsquare the ability to provide end-to-end support for OEMs and ODMs utilizing the QNX Neutrino operating system for their smart connected systems."

Bsquare will redistribute QNX Neutrino RTOS and QNX� Momentics� Tool Suite products in the United Kingdom and will provide professional services including driver and application development as well as quality assurance and documentation for QNX-based devices worldwide. All Bsquare UK projects are implemented under ISO 9001:2008 certified systems and the company's UK office is ISO 13485:2003 certified for medical systems development. For more information visit: QNX RTOS and Development Tools
    03-14-13 04:37 PM
    Doesn't BB garner any revenue from QNX? If so, why is that completely overlooked?
    They have to get some kind of revenue from QNX...mission critical systems, in car infotainment systems, id gather its doing quite well, no ones talking about it though.
    03-14-13 04:41 PM
    Yes and no. Chrysler had QNX in some of their cars before RIM aquired it. Bentley just put it into some of their $200,000 cars. It comes down to licensing and copyrights. Good research material for sure.
    03-14-13 04:42 PM
    They have to get some kind of revenue from QNX...mission critical systems, in car infotainment systems, id gather its doing quite well, no ones talking about it though.
    That's why I ask. It's a revenue stream that nobody seems to be accounting for.
    03-14-13 04:43 PM
    Thanks for the quick responses guys!

I always had the feeling that selling the hardware division would be likened to admitting defeat and technically BBRY would be downsizing. Wouldn't it be difficult to make up that lost revenue solely from software?
    03-14-13 04:47 PM

I always had the feeling that selling the hardware division would be likened to admitting defeat and technically BBRY would be downsizing. Wouldn't it be difficult to make up that lost revenue solely from software?
    I don't think so. They've proven themselves in each department so the term "downsizing" could be retermed to "refocused". Imagine using their current manpower to focus just on software,
    03-14-13 04:52 PM

downsizing may not technically be a bad thing, if it frees up some cash and the hardware margins werent great to begin with investors will look at it positively. It would be difficult to make up that revenue from software, but licensing the software would effectively increase their economies of scale. The more hardware companies they license the software to, the larger scale of devices will be out there with bb10 running, hence smaller profit per device, but more devices sold = bigger revenues.

I mean android makes almost nothing from device activations but they make money on google services being licensed to the manufacturers, and they are killing it. Imagine BB charging license fees for the OS and the services.
    03-14-13 04:55 PM
    My 2 cents, or I guess a nickel since we are now penniless in Canada.

I have some thoughts about BBRY in the near future and would appreciate any input from anyone.
    There is a lot of big money out there that do not and will not make a move until they see hard numbers.
    Those numbers will come out March 28 for Q4. I see all of the numbers to beat the street expectations.
    I think they will also take the opportunity to give out some numbers for the current 1st quarter which will also be impressive.
    I think they will give a forward looking statement that will be at the lower end of their expectations but will beat the street expectations.
    I think that on March 28 that big money will poor into the stock and it will double.
    I think that when the market opens back up after the long weekend that all the analysts will have adjusted their targets and the new price will hold and we will play around the $40 mark for a while until it takes off again after more better then expected news.
    I don't think I'm over exaggerating so please feel free to rip this thing apart and maybe knock me off my high horse.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-14-13 05:03 PM
113,256 ... 374375376377378 ...