View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    This one must have hurt Marlow to write. I think he was embarassed into doing it. He still couldn't resist a few negative pot shots.

RIM dials up record BlackBerry order
    IAIN MARLOW - TECHNOLOGY REPORTER
    The Globe and Mail
    Published Wednesday, Mar. 13 2013, 7:11 PM EDT
    Last updated Wednesday, Mar. 13 2013, 7:24 PM EDT

Research In Motion Ltd. announced an order of one million new BlackBerry 10 smartphones, its largest single order ever, as the company looks to the devices to drive a much-needed turnaround.

RIM’s volatile shares surged more than 8 per cent on the Toronto Stock Exchange Wednesday on the news, continuing a recent winning streak.

The Waterloo, Ont.-based company said the deal is with one of its “established partners,” which it did not name.

The large bulk order of the new make-or-break BlackBerrys comes as RIM makes its push into the critical U.S. market. The order is likely from one of the two largest U.S. wireless carriers: AT&T Inc. or Verizon Communications Inc., according to two former RIM executives.

In separate announcements, AT&T Inc. said on Monday the Z10 will be available on its network starting on March 22 and Verizon said on Wednesday it would launch the touchscreen Z10 on March 28. The BlackBerry Q10, which retains a physical keyboard, is not expected to launch until at least April.

The BlackBerry Z10 phone is designed to turn around RIM’s business after market-share losses to smartphone rivals led the company to an arduous transition to new technology, thousands of employee layoffs and big losses.

It is difficult to compare the initial sales of the Z10 – the sole new BlackBerry currently on sale – with previous launches of the many versions of BlackBerry models.

But the size and timing of the million-device order clearly sent a positive message to a jittery market eager for a sense of how the Z10 is selling around the world – and, consequently, RIM’s chances of thriving in the booming global smartphone market.

On Monday, RIM’s stock soared more than 13 per cent after Chinese electronics giant Lenovo Group Ltd.’s chief executive officer mulled a potential future acquisition of the Canadian tech company – the second time a Lenovo executive has mentioned a possible RIM takeover.

RIM, which has issued only vague tidbits of information about Z10 sales in advance of its formal fourth-quarter results on March 28, declined to make an executive available Wednesday to discuss the large order.

“An order for one million devices is a tremendous vote of confidence in BlackBerry 10,” Rick Costanzo, RIM’s excutive vice-president for global sales, said in a company statement. “Consumers are ready for a new user experience, and BlackBerry 10 delivers. With strong partner support, coupled with this truly re-invented new platform, we have a powerful recipe for success.”

The Z10 has won praise from reviewers, but whether consumers will buy the revived lineup of BlackBerrys is uncertain. Because the order almost certainly originated from a wireless carrier, the devices must still be sold to end users – although AT&T started taking orders of the Z10 on March 12.

One of the former RIM executives suggested the figure of one million devices is not dramatically larger than the previous record of smartphones RIM shipped at one time, which came from AT&T and was for about 750,000 devices. In the third quarter of fiscal 2012, RIM shipped 14.1 million BlackBerrys to carrier partners around the world; in the same quarter of fiscal 2013, it shipped 6.9 million.

It is difficult to compare the one-of-a-kind launch of the repeatedly delayed and heavily publicized Z10 smartphone to order for previous devices. RIM launched the last batch of new BlackBerrys, running the BlackBerry 7 operating system, in August, 2011.
    Shanerredflag and zyben like this.
    03-13-13 08:05 PM
    This one must have hurt Marlow to write. I think he was embarassed into doing it. He still couldn't resist a few negative pot shots.
    LOL...some of the comments are hilarious!
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-13-13 08:38 PM
    Bgc partners analyst Collins Gillis says order for 1 mill doesn't change anything. Scramble shorts scramble...
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    03-13-13 08:39 PM
    ^^^see above^^^
    vvvread belowvvv

The one thing we have in our favour this time is the fact that the bears cannot manipulate the FACT that BB's largest ever 1 time order took place on the new product. I'm sure they will try to skirt the issue and find something else to bitc* about but I think they might be a tad screwed this time around.
    not to be a downer but...
    this is a order for 1,000,000 phones. BBRY can't count these until they've been shipped. which is how the doubting dudes will spin it.

We know that the market has already priced these phones in as sold, so screw the the shorts!
    03-13-13 08:47 PM
    Bgc partners analyst Collins Gillis says order for 1 mill doesn't change anything. Scramble shorts scramble...
    Ya. What's a million from one carrier? Not like the other 149+ are gonna sell any. Lol

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 08:47 PM
    Well, looking at my Questrade account... Market price is still 16.04, however if I look at my account tab and view profit... The price states 16.45 No idea why, but damn, potential profit just got a huge boost.
    My itrade shows 16.04 but Bloomberg shows 16.45. I tend to believe that my itrade is correct but something is definately f***** up. This is for the TSX. On MarketWatch it also shows an after hours trading line. It never shows this because TSX doesn't do after hours trading.
    03-13-13 08:51 PM
    I think Mallow is actually just trying to be the voice of reason. we don't want people sinking every dime they have into BBRY stock, especially money they can't afford to lose. Those of us that have been in for a while are very excited and our excitment is catchy. I know people that have invested in BBRY just because i was excited about it. they've never invested before, don't follow the stock, haven't done any reseach and bought in a a higher price then me. they are probably still in the red as we speak. but hey, its their money to lose right?
    03-13-13 08:56 PM
    Nice day. Calls up 103%. Still not selling.
    03-13-13 08:57 PM
    My itrade shows 16.04 but Bloomberg shows 16.45. I tend to believe that my itrade is correct but something is definately f***** up. This is for the TSX. On MarketWatch it also shows an after hours trading line. It never shows this because TSX doesn't do after hours trading.
    google finance shows:
    Nasdaq:BBRY 15.65
    after hours 16.00
    TSX:BB 16.04
    the highest after hours recorded level is 16.13.

hope your bloomberg is showing results for tomorrow!
    03-13-13 09:05 PM
    Nice day. Calls up 103%. Still not selling.
    Perfect timing indeed...well done!!
    03-13-13 09:08 PM
    I had a good laugh today when BB jumped up in the same time when a new Pope was announced. Next, what I expected to find was the news with: “In his first Papal decision, Pope Francis has decreed that all priests be equipped with a BB10”. Did somebody see something like that?

Lucky I am today that I made my decision not to trade today.

It looks like we have more fun – price went up and no supporting evidence again - only rumors. It will be more fun to short this Titanic down. First iceberg is coming in this night as a new S4.

The rumor was that Verizon bought 1M of BBs. Verizon has upgraded facilities putting around 2 billions in upgrades recently. I read somewhere it can accommodate more than 18 millions of additional devices with the most newest features. If Verizon bought 1M of BBs than on the background of 17 other millions of other devices (you guess yourself - it looks dumb. Anyway, it will be good for RIM, but it will be darkened by Samsung arrival.

BTW, according to Google gas prices in Krasnoyarsk “went through the roof”.
    Last edited by DudeBB; 03-13-13 at 09:45 PM.
    03-13-13 09:12 PM
    I think Mallow is actually just trying to be the voice of reason. we don't want people sinking every dime they have into BBRY stock, especially money they can't afford to lose. Those of us that have been in for a while are very excited and our excitment is catchy. I know people that have invested in BBRY just because i was excited about it. they've never invested before, don't follow the stock, haven't done any reseach and bought in a a higher price then me. they are probably still in the red as we speak. but hey, its their money to lose right?
    Stormie you haven't read much of Marlow. (or you are related) j/K. LoL
    03-13-13 09:16 PM
    Lol ^^^
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-untitled.png
    03-13-13 09:18 PM
    I had a good laugh today when BB jumped up in the same time when a new Pope was announced. Next, what I expected to find was the news with: “In his Papal decision, Pope Francis has decreed that all priests be equipped with a BB10”. Did somebody see something like that?

It looks like we have more fun – price went up and no supporting evidence again - only rumors. It will be more fun to short this Titanic down. First iceberg is coming in this night as a new S4.

The rumor was that Verizon bought 1M of BBs. Verizon has upgraded facilities putting around 2 billions in upgrades recently. I read somewhere it can accommodate more than 18 millions of additional devices with the most newest features. If Verizon bought 1M of BBs than on the background of 17 other millions of other devices (you guess yourself - it looks dumb. Anyway, it will be good for RIM, but it will be darkened by Samsung arrival.

Bath Salts are a helluva drug.
    03-13-13 09:19 PM
    KTHXBAI!

I had a good laugh today when BB jumped up in the same time when a new Pope was announced. Next, what I expected to find was the news with: “In his Papal decision, Pope Francis has decreed that all priests be equipped with a BB10”. Did somebody see something like that?

03-13-13 09:20 PM
    Ignoring the blu-fin report that supply chain is showing robust numbers.

Keep ignoring the facts and preach your short kool-aid. Hope you increase your short position, can't wait till you go up in flames. Not long to wait now.

Posted via CB10
    BThunderW likes this.
    03-13-13 09:22 PM
    Only 10 trading days before ER
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    03-13-13 09:24 PM
    I had a good laugh today when BB jumped up in the same time when a new Pope was announced. Next, what I expected to find was the news with: �In his Papal decision, Pope Francis has decreed that all priests be equipped with a BB10�. Did somebody see something like that?

It looks like we have more fun � price went up and no supporting evidence again - only rumors. It will be more fun to short this Titanic down. First iceberg is coming in this night as a new S4.

BTW, according to Google gas prices in Krasnoyarsk �went through the roof�.
    So...is it true you work for Canaccord?

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-13-13 09:27 PM
    just ask Dude, he'll cruise the Russian forums and come up with the answer in no time.....Dude? are you there????
    Have you ever seen a Russian margin call... It could be a while before we hear anything .
    Tinomane and bungaboy like this.
    03-13-13 09:29 PM
    Have you ever seen a Russian margin call... It could be a while before we hear anything .
    Dude is about to take a scenic drive to the Siberian Forest.
    Acumenight likes this.
    03-13-13 09:30 PM
    Dude is about to take a scenic drive to the Siberian Forest.
    Do they have 4G service there?
    erodenero likes this.
    03-13-13 09:34 PM
    Stormie you haven't read much of Marlow. (or you are related) j/K. LoL
    No I've only been following him since joining the forum. other than his india cracks column i didn't find him to be overly negative. he's seems like he's trying to be balanced lately. maybe I should go back and read some of his older columns. (love the avatar BTW)

screw that, the past is behind us. we can only move forward, right?

I didn't see any posts of DudeBB's short position... did someone remember to feed him?
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-13-13 09:44 PM

Thats what I thought! Tomorrow they will go down so BUY BUY BUY...lol...lol...lol
    03-13-13 09:45 PM
    I don't understand why these short trolls like dudeare allowed to post here? The short trolls are running around the internet in total shock and saying anything to down play an order of 1,000,000 phones. Shorts have INCREASED from 136 million to 147 million shares with the majority DEEP in the red. The orders are pouring in 5 K from german goverment and what was it 40 or 50K orders for NATO and now 1,000,000 orders placed. Suppliers are saying orders have increased. The writting is on the wall. If you are short and want to be stupid fine. All you have to do is use the Z10 and you will understand it beats EVERY SINGLE phone on the market. I had a SG3 and it doesn't compare to the Z10. My SG3 collects dust now.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-13-13 09:48 PM
    a) No one has confirmed Verison
    b) The partner ordered 1,000,000 phones to fill current expected demand.
    c) Why would verison buy 18 million phones and have them sit in a warehouse? no one has stated that this is a once only deal. Verison (or whoever) will be back to fill the channel, sooner rather then later!
    d) 1,000,000 phones is 5% of 18,000,000. if verison is the buyer they just filled 5% of their new capacity with one purchase.
    Have fun tilting at windmills. Don't forget to post your short positions!
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-13-13 09:51 PM
113,256 ... 362363364365366 ...