Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    So he missed by about triple.
    03-08-13 10:09 AM
    Savitz (Forbes) was hurting BB by constantly bashing BB based on weak, old data. Dutt (BB India MD) is also gone (apparently he did something wrong).

Is the tide turning? All BB bashers are going to be biting dust?
    03-08-13 10:11 AM
    Well, to be honest, I think the India launch was pretty bad. Maybe thats how launches are typically done in India? Or not, but it was weird because the launch was having carriers come up to take pictures, showed that celebrity, then had Vivek show off some features. I know they didn't have much to say, but I felt that the launch in India was really disorganized. IF he was fired, he was probably fired for that reason.
    Bugmapper and bungaboy like this.
    03-08-13 10:14 AM
    Sadly all the rags and blrags will be publishing pure bunk on the sudden departure as a reason to support the shorts.

The real truth will come out in time, but until then . . . . . . .
    03-08-13 10:15 AM
    His last interview:

Business Line : Industry & Economy / Info-tech : BlackBerry India ups sales forecast for new devices by 40%

"By putting a sales target number, I would be limiting my team in India"
    03-08-13 10:17 AM
    You don't work your *** off for a year to simply quit 2 days after the fruits of you labour are about to blossom. Who knows what the reasons are but they were obviously compelling.
    03-08-13 10:20 AM
    Given what Heins said about being sold out in two days, I'm willing to bet the guy grossly underestimated the demand. Which means he did not do his assignment. Caught with his pants down so to speak. Like what some fellow posted earlier, perhaps a pre-order system would have saved him some grief.

Anyway, the die is cast and lets keep on moving with BB10.
    Bugmapper likes this.
    03-08-13 10:24 AM
    His last interview:

Business Line : Industry & Economy / Info-tech : BlackBerry India ups sales forecast for new devices by 40%

Hehe saying that to the public sounds like "hi I have terrible management skills and you might want to be concerned"

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    03-08-13 10:42 AM
    Unless the demand was 100K units and you told Waterloo to send 10K...
    What if something simular happens at the USA introduction?
    03-08-13 10:46 AM
    seems to be a lot of resistance around 13.25. we've been bouncing off it for a couple of days now. we need some new news...
    03-08-13 10:47 AM
    His last interview:

1) no pre-order system
    2) initial estimates bumped by almost 50% in interview, still sells out 2-3X faster then expected
    3) left with ****-in-hand, making an emergency call to ask for more stock (ie: just lost about 2 days of sales)

100% agree that he had to step down or be fired for that.
    03-08-13 10:47 AM
    Any chance the price will go down today for a while?
    I need to buy some TODAY as I am very confident that it's only going up from next week on. I still may have a chance today.

How low will it go today? ( no matter what, I am going to end up buying today)
    You "need" to buy some today?

Really?
    03-08-13 10:49 AM
    I don't think stock will fall on the india md news:

1. The news is still bordering on positive. (Too high sales)
    2. Quick and decisive action was taken

03-08-13 10:53 AM

Really?

I need a beer...but not even noon here yet!!
    StormieTwo and bungaboy like this.
    03-08-13 10:57 AM
    wow wow..I am surprised that people are calling out Sunil Dutt (Blackberry India MD), I have been following this guy since he became India MD, actually he came from Samsung and made Blackberry brand in India bigger than ever. You people know nothing about India and how people do business here, pre-order is not something people do here except very very few, it is mostly cash and carry. As for the apps, no other MD has done so much for regional apps, India has some blockbuster native apps and are very very well done(A+ grade apps) - for example check out HDFC bank, PVR movies, Hungama, Gaana, Times of India, Cricket apps and many more. I also think he has done a phenomenal job getting Ranbir as brand ambassador and expanding the supply chain to another 200 cities in India. if anything be thankful to this guy because he has been pulling some good marketing and supply chain people from Samsung and Nokia India in to his fold.
    03-08-13 11:01 AM

Really?
    You think I should wait longer to 'get in'?
    03-08-13 11:14 AM
    Get in when you're ready to get in. Trying to pin down the perfect price point is futile - if you are going long, and you believe the stock will go significantly up in the coming years, then 20 or 50 cents difference in purchase price doesn't matter very much unless you're buying huge quantities.
    03-08-13 11:18 AM
    wow wow..I am surprised that people are calling out Sunil Dutt (Blackberry India MD), I have been following this guy since he became India MD, actually he came from Samsung and made Blackberry brand in India bigger than ever. You people know nothing about India and how people do business here, pre-order is not something people do here except very very few, it is mostly cash and carry. As for the apps, no other MD has done so much for regional apps, India has some blockbuster native apps and are very very well done(A+ grade apps) - for example check out HDFC bank, PVR movies, Hungama, Gaana, Times of India, Cricket apps and many more. I also think he has done a phenomenal job getting Ranbir as brand ambassador and expanding the supply chain to another 200 cities in India. if anything be thankful to this guy because he has been pulling some good marketing and supply chain people from Samsung and Nokia India in to his fold.
    I actually believe he was prob fired for something disciplinary or he quit on his own because he "failed" his company.

03-08-13 11:20 AM
    You shouldn't ask anyone here when you should get in. The guy/gal you asked would probably tell you it's a bad idea in general yet many others will tell you it'll go up 400% within the year. What you need to do is research and decide for yourself if you want to take the risk.
    03-08-13 11:29 AM
    What if something simular happens at the USA introduction?
    Well, that one will be on Thor. His neck in the noose if USA totally fumbled. I suspect that they have a decent handle on the US demand, they just can't afford to mfg all those units ahead of time. There will be some delays in getting stock out to USA, but to be able to satisfy all demand in the first week would cost a fortune that they do not have. I think the difference is that IF the India market was severely underestimated A) they could have supplied it before the end of fiscal and bumped their numbers before ER (whereas high USA demand would strain their mfg capabilities), and B) they needed a local manager to give them the feedback on demand because of the type of market in India, in USA they get lots of feedback through pre-orders, carriers and other channels.
    _dimi_ and bungaboy like this.
    03-08-13 11:32 AM
    Get in when you're ready to get in. Trying to pin down the perfect price point is futile - if you are going long, and you believe the stock will go significantly up in the coming years, then 20 or 50 cents difference in purchase price doesn't matter very much unless you're buying huge quantities.
    Of course!
    And that's why I mentioned that I will be doing it today, no matter what. Coz I am ready today.
    Just that playing with the cents adds excitement to a lazy Friday.
    By the end of the day today, I will be in, no matter what price I have to pay.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-08-13 11:40 AM
    I'd say he dropped the ball. If they had to quickly pull together inventory for him then that meant pulling it from other regions. Nice "problem" to have really...
    03-08-13 11:53 AM
    03-08-13 11:58 AM
    I need a beer...but not even noon here yet!!
    I will drink to that! A beer sounds good.
    lcjr likes this.
    03-08-13 12:00 PM
    I'd say he dropped the ball. If they had to quickly pull together inventory for him then that meant pulling it from other regions. Nice "problem" to have really...
    On the other hand if his efforts built up that much demand in the first place...

I'd say there's more to it than we can guess.
    bungaboy and peter9477 like this.
    03-08-13 12:18 PM
113,256 ... 318319320321322 ...