Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    the only interesting thing TH said yesterday was:

“Yes, we have teams working on BB10 for the PlayBook,”
    They've always had many teams working on different parts of the system. I think some people figure there's one big "PlayBook team" or something, but that's not how modern development is done.

What you might also find interesting are some of the many team photos Sebastien Marineau (Senior VP for OS development) posted on his Twitter feed just before the BB10 launch. Check them out in his January tweets from https://twitter.com/sebmarineau
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-08-13 08:52 AM
    Was just gonna post that. His pieces on BBRY have been some of the worst I have read.
    _dimi_ likes this.
    03-08-13 08:56 AM
    DejaVu of yesterday?
    cjcampbell and BThunderW like this.
    03-08-13 08:57 AM
    Wasn't that his old job?

No volume + no news = no movement. See you next week BBRY.
    03-08-13 09:00 AM
    DejaVu of yesterday?
    There doesn't seem to be much confidence in the company.
    03-08-13 09:10 AM
    There doesn't seem to be much confidence in the company.
    It's still early. Much can happen yet. Hopefully in our favour.
    03-08-13 09:20 AM
    http://m.firstpost.com/business/blac...ts-653732.html

Strange?!?!?
    He is the one who supposedly made the emergency call.
    03-08-13 09:25 AM
    Usually around 10:30 it reverses whatever trend its on a bit.

Hmmm... I wonder if that is because around 10:30 Eastern time (9:30 Central Time) is when somebody around, say... Omaha Nebraska... gets to work, has their coffee, sits down, and starts trading BBRY. He can't be seen "owning" the company - but he likes to day trade for fun.
    03-08-13 09:27 AM
    So basically he was fired..
    03-08-13 09:28 AM
    http://m.firstpost.com/business/blac...ts-653732.html

Strange?!?!?
    Very strange indeed... On the surface, doesn't bode well in terms of having confidence in the company Hopefully the reason is simply that he wasn't up for the challenge!
    03-08-13 09:29 AM
    Ouch....this one could hurt. From the Wall Street Journal:

Nokia Backs Apple’s Push to Seek Ban on Samsung Devices - Digits - WSJ

And here's the full-blown Malware report from Finland if anyone cares to read. Noticeable by its absence (with just a minor reference ie no real issues) was Blackberry and to an extent Microsoft.

http://www.f-secure.com/static/doc/l...0Q4%202012.pdf
    Last edited by Markymark 23; 03-08-13 at 09:55 AM.
    03-08-13 09:30 AM
    BlackBerry India MD Sunil Dutt quits - Page 1 | Firstpost

Strange?!?!?
    He seriously underestimated the demand, potentially damaging the launch... then was asked to step aside???
    03-08-13 09:34 AM
    i don't understand, why did sunil dutt quit so abruptly?
    03-08-13 09:37 AM
    Very strange indeed... On the surface, doesn't bode well in terms of having confidence in the company Hopefully the reason is simply that he wasn't up for the challenge!
    Thorsten knew the press would find out about the MD having left the company, so he mentioned India being sold-out to prevent any speculation. An MD leaving the company one week after launch of your new platform can only mean one thing: he was fired. If you read his interviews you'll notice he wasn't the most inspiring guy.. imho
    03-08-13 09:38 AM
    i don't understand, why did sunil dutt quit so abruptly?
    Maybe he wasn't actively monitoring the inventory levels. Or he could've been the reason why the initial estimate was off. Sounds like he called Heins last min and said "hey bro we're out of phones send some over." Heins did say they had to scramble to send more phones over there.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-08-13 09:43 AM
    He seriously underestimated the demand, potentially damaging the launch... then was asked to step aside???
    That's what I am thinking.
    It probably also means that the demand in India must be huge, and by his screwing up the estimate, BlackBerry lost the opportunity to capitalise on the high price point at which it could have currently sold the devices. Remember, in india, they are sold directly, and not through carriers.
    Eventually, the price will go down, and margins will decrease.
    03-08-13 09:45 AM
    "India is an extremely important market for BlackBerry and our aim is to continue to build on our recent momentum with the launch of BlackBerry 10"
    in other words, "don't call me 2 days into an event you were supposed to be prepared for at least 5 days and interrupt my dinner, ... have your office cleaned out by the morning"

Fired... for sure.
    _dimi_ and anon(4086547) like this.
    03-08-13 09:46 AM
    The guys at iMoar said they got pics of him with a goat or something . . . . . .

Meanwhile the yoyo continues. But I do see lots of profit taking in other stocks today as well.
    Last edited by bungaboy; 03-08-13 at 10:11 AM.
    Bugmapper likes this.
    03-08-13 09:51 AM
    Remember, in india, they are sold directly, and not through carriers.
    Which, I imagine, makes it much harder to refill stock at the individual storefronts. Not like you can just drop off a planeload at AT&T or Bell and say - here you go.
    03-08-13 09:53 AM
    "India is an extremely important market for BlackBerry and our aim is to continue to build on our recent momentum with the launch of BlackBerry 10"
    in other words, "don't call me 2 days into an event you were supposed to be prepared for at least 5 days and interrupt my dinner, ... have your office cleaned out by the morning"

Fired... for sure.
    LOL
    Either that or he screwed up in Q4, and Thorsten decided to wait until after launch. I think you're right though!
    Last edited by _dimi_; 03-08-13 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Q3 --> Q4
    03-08-13 09:53 AM
    The india guy could have done a preorder process. That would have helped prevent the lack of inventory.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    03-08-13 09:56 AM
    Well, if it is related to the India launch being fumbled... I gotta give kudos to BB management for dealing with the situation quickly.
    03-08-13 09:59 AM
    I'm guessing the india md did something worse than just run out of stock. I can't really picture him being fired over that unless they're foreseeing being out of stock for like 2 weeks.

I have a feeling there was something else. Something diciplinary possibly. Maybe he was sleeping with every woman on the bb india team? (Joke)

People don't really get fired all of a sudden because they slightly miscalculated good news. One could almost argue that the md did such a good job of pre marketing that the demand was insane and completely unpredictable. So this is a weak reason to fire someone immediately.

03-08-13 10:00 AM
    Unless the demand was 100K units and you told Waterloo to send 10K...
    03-08-13 10:02 AM
    Unless the demand was 100K units and you told Waterloo to send 10K...
    It prob wasn't that bad. There was another article where heins said they sent 5 days supply and ran out in 2 days.

Bugmapper likes this.
    03-08-13 10:04 AM
113,256 ... 317318319320321 ...