View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I'll bet they are really confused and scared right now with iPhone 6 in the pipeline. I have a feeling it's just another "not much changed" but I don't care to go research that anytime soon.
    Yeah, let's discount the monstrous quarter the company just reported. Now compare that to Rimm's latest quarter(s)...You guys really need to come back to reality.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    03-07-13 12:56 PM
    Yeah, let's discount the monstrous quarter the company just reported. Now compare that to Rimm's latest quarter(s)...You guys really need to come back to reality.

On the one hand - yes. AAPL is taking record profits.

On the other hand, their last earnings release sounded and looked eerily similar to RIMM's when they were in denial about their decline.

They've got farther to fall, and - given the dollars they have to pour into R&D, marketing, et al - are likely to be able to correct any missteps well ahead of time if they don't get complacent. But... there are those who thought the same of RIM a few years ago.

Agreed that it's far too early to consider them done. They're stumbling a bit in the innovation department, but that's something that can be fixed.
    joe.miller, DragonFlyer and lcjr like this.
    03-07-13 12:58 PM

I'd agree with you but AAPL stock is telling a different story. I don't think anyone here is saying that BB will outsell or out profit Apple any time soon. I was amazed at the record numbers too but it wasn't just that that had an effect. It was the decline in EPS and the lower than expected margins.

What's happening now is that people are realizing that Apple really hasn't done anything new. Sure the phone got taller, thinner, and faster, but that's about it. I know quite a few iPhone users that recently upgraded their phones and just went with the 4s since it was free on contract and it does the same thing. It's not that Apple isn't selling, it's that it isn't selling it's new devices at the levels that are expected.
    lcjr likes this.
    03-07-13 01:04 PM

So please, explain their problem? BBRY did the same when they got comfortable.
    DragonFlyer and lcjr like this.
    03-07-13 01:07 PM
    Jefferies update --

BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY) is seeing mid-day activity following positive comments from Jefferies' analyst Peter Misek. The analyst said his checks at UK stores show no excess inventory for the Z10.

Misek commented: "We physically checked six stores in London and Edinburgh on our recent marketing trip for signs of excess inventory or wavering Z10 demand. We found neither."

The analyst said all stores showed only a few devices in stock and sell-through appeared fine. This was consistent with previous checks in the UK and Canada. Checks with store managers indicate they have not heard of too much inventory; instead they noted two stores in their network that were sold out. On price cuts, this was deemed as standard practice.

Bottom line - contrary to some reports out there the analyst said the Z10 continues to sell steadily.

Misek maintained Buy rating and price target of $19.50 on BBRY.

StreetInsider.com - No Excess BlackBerry (BBRY) Z10 Inventory - Jefferies
    Great news.

Can't wait to hear from . . . . . Canaccord Genuity analyst T. Michael Walkley.
    03-07-13 01:21 PM
    I think a lot of blackberry faithful are overestimating the effect of bb10 on the PB.

The only people who will care are the subset of the 2 million or so PlayBook owners out there who still use the device -and most of them are unaware that it's even in the works.

It really has no meaning to the broader market, except perhaps from the perspective of showing potential for use on "Lower End" devices.

Frankly I'm not sure how they're going to squeeze if all in -my DA is always closing apps - especially the browser -due to low memory, since the hub was added. The playbook has the same memory constraints and two thirds the speed.

I rather suspect they're regretting promising this OS for playbook...

(I only use my PB these days for movies on planes. Browsing is painfully slow and always has been, unless you don't want to scroll web pages...)
    I bought my PlayBook the first day it was released. I love it. I use it all the time. I'm using it right now. I prefer to use the web browser over the app. I haven't noticed any lag. The longer I have this thing the more I use it. I don't think they would put the hub on this one. Maybe the 4G that they came out with later. From what I understand that one has more horsepower under the hood.
    I think having the bb10 on the PlayBook world be a huge marketing tool. It would show the masses that when you spend money on a BlackBerry it won't be obsolete in a couple of years.
    Personally I like my PlayBook the way it is and don't feel that need for an upgrade to bb10. With that being said I don't have my Z10 yet so I may change my mind.
    03-07-13 01:21 PM
    Anyone else notice the low trading volume?

If it wasn't for those drops this morning, we'd likely be trading up on this low volume too.
    More like "pushes" maybe, with the shorts trying to save themselves?
    03-07-13 01:25 PM
    I bought my PlayBook the first day it was released. I love it. I use it all the time. I'm using it right now. I prefer to use the web browser over the app. I haven't noticed any lag. The longer I have this thing the more I use it. I don't think they would put the hub on this one. Maybe the 4G that they came out with later. From what I understand that one has more horsepower under the hood.
    I think having the bb10 on the PlayBook world be a huge marketing tool. It would show the masses that when you spend money on a BlackBerry it won't be obsolete in a couple of years.
    Personally I like my PlayBook the way it is and don't feel that need for an upgrade to bb10. With that being said I don't have my Z10 yet so I may change my mind.
    ya..you'll change your mind. lol
    Bugmapper and primusd like this.
    03-07-13 01:27 PM
    On the one hand - yes. AAPL is taking record profits.

On the other hand, their last earnings release sounded and looked eerily similar to RIMM's when they were in denial about their decline.

They've got farther to fall, and - given the dollars they have to pour into R&D, marketing, et al - are likely to be able to correct any missteps well ahead of time if they don't get complacent. But... there are those who thought the same of RIM a few years ago.

Agreed that it's far too early to consider them done. They're stumbling a bit in the innovation department, but that's something that can be fixed.
    Agreed! I don't own a single Apple product, but do own a PB, 9650 and hopefully in 2 weeks or less a new z10. Apple is being punished because they can no longer grow at the exponential rates they were previously and rotation out of it after a sharp rise. Its the law of high numbers. Easy to grow from 1B to 2B, harder from 4 to 8B and MUCH harder from 8 to 16B. At 165B in revenue its almost impossible to keep that growth rate. I agree their products appear to be stagnant and boring. However, they are still the market leader and will be for some time to come. They have embedded themselves in many households. They have become ubiquitous and as much as that seems like a great problem to have, it is a problem for them.

However, they are still in the catbirds seat. Just some round numbers to compare to BBRY. Market cap 401B v 6.8B, Revenue 165B v. 13B, CASH ON HAND 40B v. 2.8B. With less than 8% of its cash on hand AAPL could buy BBRY tomorrow. In the last 5 years AAPL is still up about 250% (was up over 400% until recently), while BBRY is down about 85%.

I don't own AAPL or BBRY but the rumors of AAPL's demise seem great exaggerated here. If anything BBRY's fall is a cautionary tale for them. Let's try to avoid going down the AAPL road, it was nice not to have those comparisons here every day for the last few months like it used to be and I fear that when the ER comes out we will have plenty of those "analysts" comparing sales, profit margins and market share to AAPL anyway...
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-07-13 01:28 PM
    You know the only site that I find the PB browser lags is .. . . . . wait for it . . . . . this one. Yes, CrackBerry. And with the new site update it has gotten worse.

I have an Acer 10" Slablet, a Nexus 7 and 64GB Playbooks. The Acer collects dust. The Nexus 7 is for playing cribbage and the battery sux. The PB is my daily driver.
    Bugmapper likes this.
    03-07-13 01:31 PM
    You know the only site that I find the PB browser lags is .. . . . . wait for it . . . . . this one. Yes, CrackBerry. And with the new site update it has gotten worse.

I have an Acer 10" Slablet, a Nexus 7 and 64GB Playbooks. The Acer collects dust. The Nexus 7 is for playing cribbage and the battery sux. The PB is my daily driver.
    The new design is great but it's kinda slow. Also, not liking new fonts for BB forum posts. The previous font was easier-to-read.
    03-07-13 01:35 PM
    When Heins says BB10 will last 10 years, I foresee the stock crashing in about 5 years because they're not thinking about innovation again. Some other company will pass them once they get fat. I'm hoping that he's only saying that for the sake of bragging about BB10 but internally they are planning to strategically revamp their software again to a new level in about 5 years. At that point in time BB10 will be old news.
    03-07-13 01:38 PM
    I agree, CB site is very slow on my 64GB PlayBook.
    03-07-13 01:40 PM
    Good job at creating a great discussion. I was in this stock when it was at $60.00 and I had my blinders on. It was a real wake up call for me. I sold APPL when it hit 620 on the way up past 700. I noticed the exact same thing happening with APPL that happened to RIMM.

03-07-13 01:40 PM
    So please, explain their problem? BBRY did the same when they got comfortable.
    Check their earnings report...I don't see a problem, they sold a ton of products, not to mention increased their cash on hand.

03-07-13 01:43 PM
    Try optimaforums.com. omg it is sooooooooooo slow. probably a programming issue on that website.
    03-07-13 01:52 PM
    Check their earnings report...I don't see a problem, they sold a ton of products, not to mention increased their cash on hand.

Honest question and not berating Apple, just would like to know why their stock slipped from $701.91 on 18 September to today's $427.25. That's why I stated they are probably scared and confused or at least a bit nervous in their position. I wasn't meaning to slam Apple.
    _dimi_ likes this.
    03-07-13 01:58 PM

They did forecast lower profit margins, for one thing. Plus they seem to be doing a ton of nothing with their cash on hand, and shareholders hate that.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-13 02:11 PM
    Honest question and not berating Apple, just would like to know why their stock slipped from $701.91 on 18 September to today's $427.25. That's why I stated they are probably scared and confused or at least a bit nervous in their position. I wasn't meaning to slam Apple.
    And I thought you were trying to make apple juice
    03-07-13 02:13 PM
    This is amusing.

When asked what a 'blackberry' was, 82 per cent of 16 to 24-year-olds said they would first think of a smartphone, not a fruit

07 March 2013
    Belfast Telegraph

Eight out of 10 young people think of a blackberry as a mobile phone rather than a fruit, according to a poll.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    03-07-13 02:15 PM
    03-07-13 02:18 PM
    This is amusing.
    I think of it as early retirement
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-07-13 02:19 PM
    It's no secret that apple's profits are based on their sky high profit margins. The smartphone market has caught up, with cheaper alternatives so now its impossible for apple to maintain high margins. If I owned Apple's stock I would be scratching my head, but as a Company Apple is fine. Sorry my response is short, I'm still at work.

lcjr likes this.
    03-07-13 02:26 PM
    I guess he must have read my post above....
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-07-13 02:33 PM
    Holy low volume. At the outset it looked like it could be an "average" day. I wonder if it's simply people now waiting for the US launch date and then the ER to get back to business and start buying.
    03-07-13 02:42 PM
113,256 ... 313314315316317 ...