1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Huh?
    Another Russian ya think? LoL
    03-06-13 10:58 AM
    I read the article and Brian Bennett wasn’t all wrong. He was way off by asserting that Blackberry has an inevitable downfall, but his comment on the staggered release wasn’t incorrect in my opinion. There is a method and means to leave your questions and comments on those article websites if you’d like to challenge the analyst in question.
    Unified launch doesn't equal success. Also, my interpretation of the article is that the close proximity to the Galaxy launch is what's going to hurt Blackberry. While I agree that sharing the stage with Galaxy is not good, how can releasing it early be bad? Whether mid-March or late-March, Galaxy is already going to be launched.

If AT&T can bring to market mid-March they get 3 Z10 orders from me, possibly 4. There's your IMPENDING DOOM!!!
    m0de25 likes this.
    03-06-13 10:59 AM
    I seriously doubt this guy is short or doing the biding of any shorts. He has a opinion. As noted, I am not sure I agree with him, I just don't see a conspiracy here.

I do think part of his argument is correct and one I have posted about and that is BBRY's lack of clout or seemingly any bargaining power whatsoever. How they let the US launch date get pushed so far beyond the Super Bowl ad and New York City launch event is mind boggling to me. I don't think it will be the end of BBRY bu tit very puzzling to me.
    I don't think they let it get pushed - I think it was their plan. I have kept looking for that article without luck, but I *know* that at least a year prior to launch they basically came out and said that US would not be first to receive the device. It was couched in terms of showing support for markets that have shown us support, or similar.
    m0de25 and bungaboy like this.
    03-06-13 11:00 AM
    Unified launch doesn't equal success. Also, my interpretation of the article is that the close proximity to the Galaxy launch is what's going to hurt Blackberry. While I agree that sharing the stage with Galaxy is not good, how can releasing it early be bad? Whether mid-March or late-March, Galaxy is already going to be launched.
    Not only that - Samsung has not committed to immediate availability - they have confirmed only the launch date, yes?
    03-06-13 11:01 AM
    Not only that - Samsung has not committed to immediate availability - they have confirmed only the launch date, yes?
    Yes, launch only. Same as the BB10 launch in NYC on Jan30. It's highly unlikely anybody will be able to buy an S4 in the US before May.
    Last edited by joe.miller; 03-06-13 at 11:18 AM. Reason: I accidentally some letters.
    03-06-13 11:03 AM
    I seriously doubt this guy is short or doing the biding of any shorts. He has a opinion. As noted, I am not sure I agree with him, I just don't see a conspiracy here.

I do think part of his argument is correct and one I have posted about and that is BBRY's lack of clout or seemingly any bargaining power whatsoever. How they let the US launch date get pushed so far beyond the Super Bowl ad and New York City launch event is mind boggling to me. I don't think it will be the end of BBRY bu tit very puzzling to me.
    Well, I actually like reading your posts (quite often playing the devil's advocate, which is needed around here to keep our heads grounded), but I simply see this article in question as digging around for something that simply isn't there, and sensationizing it with doom and gloom words, yet again. If AT&T is ready with their testing, then great! It's a competitive industry and kudos for them on taking an early jump. This is positive, not negative.

As far as BB's lack of clout/bargaining power and the botched US launch... It may be BB's new reality - "beggars can't be choosers" but I (personally) feel that it was on BB's shoulder for whatever reason. They certainly weren't 100% ready with the O/S as well as cerain big name apps and knew that the US customer and media would hang them out to dry, and perhaps their supply chain wasn't ready for the potential ramp up volumes.
    bungaboy and OMGitworks like this.
    03-06-13 11:10 AM
    As far as BB's lack of clout/bargaining power and the botched US launch... It may be BB's new reality - "beggars can't be choosers" but I (personally) feel that it was on BB's shoulder for whatever reason. They certainly weren't 100% ready with the O/S as well as cerain big name apps and knew that the US customer and media would hang them out to dry, and perhaps their supply chain wasn't ready for the potential ramp up volumes.
    Actually, I have a strong suspicion that was a choice made by Blackberry. Remember the Playbook launch? RIM had produced so many of them that they couldn't sell them all. The end result was them being sold for pennies on the dollar and RIM losing a bunch of money. I think what Blackberry is doing here is just scaling up the production slowly to meet the demand. We all know that they're not in the best market position and they've got a limited number of bullets in the chamber. They've got to make each one count and I think that's what they're trying to do by putting a cap on production. Whether it works or not is a different story.
    m0de25 likes this.
    03-06-13 11:20 AM
    BlackBerry 10 takes 100 UK scalps as BlackBerry downplays enterprise threat from rivals | ZDNet

Just wait until a headline mentions the X number of North American business lined up for BB10
    lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    03-06-13 11:21 AM
    More good news today Kindle App coming

http://m.blogs.cio.com/blackberry/17853/amazon-kindle-app-coming-blackberry-10-month
    03-06-13 11:22 AM
    I will say this about low-cost licensing in the short term: BBRY so far has given no indication to its developers that it will be support screen resolutions other than 720x720 or 1280x768(720 future).

A low end model with lower screen resolution would be a big deal to app developers - we'll need lead time to update our applications. That means that if it's going to happen, we'll see our first hints in updated UI guidelines I suspect...
    I dont see any reason why BB would develop anything with less than a 720 resolution. pixels per inch (PPI) is constantly increasing in density, meaning ever smaller screens can support ever larger resolutions. In 2-3 years from now we will likely see a 4K resolution phone on the market
    03-06-13 11:24 AM
    In my opinion, because of the news about NATO, any chance of it drifting below $12 based on no news is gone.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    m0de25 and bungaboy like this.
    03-06-13 11:26 AM
    My take on Samsung on business:

You can build functionality into a platform and make it do some awesome things, but you cannot decide on revision 6 that you're now going to make the software system secure. Software security is one of those things that needs to be planned, designed, and built into the entire architecture up front if you're going to do it right. Samsung is a great company with great products, but if they plan to compete in software security, they will need to take the time to start from the bottom up. For this reason I believe that they are a non-competitor for a long time.

Unless they've been working on it for years already and have a different os already near completion. (Which is possible)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    MasterMoe, bungaboy and zyben like this.
    03-06-13 11:33 AM
    There is shorting at different levels.

The day traders - they're looking to open a position and lcose it same day. You can be sure that with this jump in price, they're piling on. *some* of those probably are in the red if they got on early today, but the day isn't over.

Swing traders - they'll sell short and hold for a few days, up to a few weeks, based on where they expect the trend to go. They're not hurting - many of them would have shorted in the 14s and are probably considering covering now, but are waiting.
    Both of the above might buy from hundreds to tens of thousands of shares.

Large, long-term shorts. They buy huge blocks and hold them for as long as it takes. Some of them may have shorted at $7 waiting for bankruptcy - they're certainly not going to sell based on these daily fluctuations as they're rather far in the red right now and are hoping to recover. Others may have shorted at $75 or higher. If they're still bearish, they have little to lose by waiting for BBRY to tank even further. If it doesn't tank, then many of them are still going to be in the green.

In any case - a lot has to happen before they're shaken loose.

I'd love to know the current breakdown of long-term short positions, but there's no reporting requirement (that I know of).

I'm sure there are a lot of shades in between that I'm not aware of...
    For the total 136 million short position in USA market, surely, they have deferent level of short price. Howver, if you take the average short price, at the moment, they are still in red (-32% at the moment).
    Based on my calculation, the average short price is at about $10 with following formula:

Average short price = (sum_i=1 to 20 (P_i X Net Short share change_I)/ Total short shares.
    Where, i = month from 1 to 12 (1 year period).
    03-06-13 11:44 AM
    03-06-13 11:45 AM
    LOL, man this stuff cracks me up...cnet saying that AT&T 15th release could HURT Blackberry.......riiiiight. So early release is bad, delayed release is bad...who are these idiots that post such nonsense. I understand the SIV Galaxy comment, but c'mon....how can releasing early be any worse than releasing later? I literally LOL when I saw this headline.

AT&T could sell BlackBerry Z10 March 15 | Dialed In - CNET Blogs

Depends who is paying their bills...pay no attention.
    03-06-13 11:49 AM
    So, what is the forcast? Where do you see the stock price this summer and next January?
    UP, by a lot in late 2013.
    03-06-13 11:54 AM
    Can you guestimate on that?
    03-06-13 11:56 AM
    I like it, clear, concise, and to the point. and no silly charts without labeled axis!
    bungaboy and Bugmapper like this.
    03-06-13 11:57 AM
    Anyone notice BB has nearly 4 times as many fans on FB than Apple? That must mean their stock is undervalued forsure.
    lcjr likes this.
    03-06-13 12:00 PM
    Well, if the price is going up big time, I'll leave what I have and wait for it. If it's just marginal then I'll sell and jump into the next volatile stock. I know there are those that don’t like doing that, but I’ve been pretty successful thus far.
    03-06-13 12:02 PM
    LOL, man this stuff cracks me up...cnet saying that AT&T 15th release could HURT Blackberry.......riiiiight. So early release is bad, delayed release is bad...who are these idiots that post such nonsense. I understand the SIV Galaxy comment, but c'mon....how can releasing early be any worse than releasing later? I literally LOL when I saw this headline.

AT&T could sell BlackBerry Z10 March 15 | Dialed In - CNET Blogs
    No matter how you spin this artical, one thing is true. This is free advertising for AT&T and BlackBerry. I hope all the bears put out negative reports about the fact that Z10 is coming to the US on March 15.
    03-06-13 12:02 PM
    Anyone notice BB has nearly 4 times as many fans on FB than Apple? That must mean their stock is undervalued forsure.
    I'm not even sure I'm a fan on FB. I'll go check the block just in case.

Edit: Just checked the block.
    03-06-13 12:03 PM
    Actually, I have a strong suspicion that was a choice made by Blackberry. Remember the Playbook launch? RIM had produced so many of them that they couldn't sell them all. The end result was them being sold for pennies on the dollar and RIM losing a bunch of money. I think what Blackberry is doing here is just scaling up the production slowly to meet the demand. We all know that they're not in the best market position and they've got a limited number of bullets in the chamber. They've got to make each one count and I think that's what they're trying to do by putting a cap on production. Whether it works or not is a different story.
    Really, it wasn't pennies on the dollar. Dimes or quarters maybe.
    03-06-13 12:18 PM
    Well, if the price is going up big time, I'll leave what I have and wait for it. If it's just marginal then I'll sell and jump into the next volatile stock. I know there are those that don’t like doing that, but I’ve been pretty successful thus far.
    Its all relative. if you bought at 7, then its already gone up big time. you need to pick an exit point and stick to it. you could go with a set date, or a set SP, or you can get fancy and do something like "if it hits 'x' then retreats by 'y'% (stop loss). and nobody (i think) is going to go out on a limb and give you a firm 23 by May/38 by Aug/63 by Jan. (that's a 3$/month increase, btw, not an analysis of anything). Keep smiling!
    03-06-13 12:19 PM
    I like it, clear, concise, and to the point. and no silly charts without labeled axis!
    03-06-13 12:21 PM
113,256 ... 304305306307308 ...