View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Our enemies shall talk themselves to death. And we will bury them with their own confusion.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-05-13 12:02 PM
    We clearly have different definitions of the word "Plunging".

Posted via CB10
    I bet not. I was just being sarcastic. Kind of moody today I guess with this thing just flapping in the wind.
    Charles Martin1 likes this.
    03-05-13 12:02 PM
    Hopefully not true. Though we were kind of expecting this already.
    BlackBerry: Z10 Inventories Piling Up In U.K., Analyst Says - Forbes
    This guy (Pacific Crest analyst James Faucette) is known to FUD. He was bashing when the inventory was low and said it was not good because production limitation. When inventory is back to health level, now he said that was also bad. Ask him to check the iPhone 5 inventory in any stock, which is much higher than Z10.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-05-13 12:03 PM
    the take away from this article is in the last two paragraphs:

Pete Devenyi, senior vice president, Enterprise Software at BlackBerry, told me that they don't have a "BlackBerry first and then all the others" strategy; their goal is for BES to take full advantage of the management interfaces that they can. On iOS the capabilities are limited by Apple, but for Android � if BlackBerry is serious about making BES 10 the leading EMM management system � they'll commit to support SAFE and to be competitive with the MobileIrons and AirWatches of the world.

Here's my prediction: BlackBerry has been on tour showing the new phones and BES 10 to IT people around the world. A lot of those IT people have older BlackBerries. Expect them to set up BES 10, trade up their phones and CALs to version 10 and then become the evangelists for BlackBerry 10 in the rest of the company. It might work, it might not, but it's a reasonable strategy.

BlackBerry Can Set EMM Standard With BES 10 - Personal-tech - Smart Phones - BYTE
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    03-05-13 12:06 PM
    Just to put the longs at ease lazaridis at a meeting about a year ago when asked to step down as ceo and all the bad press was going on with rim stood up and said now the gloves are off and has locked himself in one of their buildings at Westmount and bearinger in waterloo and only high level executives are allowed in and out. What he is working on is the question

Posted via CB10
    03-05-13 12:08 PM
    03-05-13 12:11 PM
    Just to put the longs at ease lazaridis at a meeting about a year ago when asked to step down as ceo and all the bad press was going on with rim stood up and said now the gloves are off and has locked himself in one of their buildings at Westmount and bearinger in waterloo and only high level executives are allowed in and out. What he is working on is the question

Posted via CB10
    Erm.. he became a member of CB and is entertaining us nowadays?
    03-05-13 12:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    You're saying he is currently locked in now or he did that a year ago when he stepped down?
    03-05-13 12:18 PM
    You're saying he is currently locked in now or he did that a year ago when he stepped down?
    Is there a point to his statement???
    03-05-13 12:22 PM
    BlackBerry India ups sales forecast for new devices by 40%
    New Delhi, March 5:

Based on the initial consumer response, BlackBerry has beefed up its sales forecast in India by 40 per cent for its devices based on the new operating system.

The Canada-based smartphone maker has launched Z10 in India based on BlackBerry 10 operating system in a bid to make a comeback into the market now dominated by Samsung and Apple.

“In a couple of markets where we launched first, about 45 per cent of people who bought BB10 device were unique customers who were using phones of some other brand,” Sunil Dutt, Managing Director, BlackBerry India, told
    Business Line : Industry & Economy / Info-tech : BlackBerry India ups sales forecast for new devices by 40%
    03-05-13 12:22 PM
    Oh, look - another nebulous number that doesn't stand on its own.

But it's good to know they're selling more than they thought they might. Whatever that means.....
    03-05-13 12:25 PM
    Oh, look - another nebulous number that doesn't stand on its own.

But it's good to know they're selling more than they thought they might. Whatever that means.....
    I agree. Quality of the article is not that great either..
    03-05-13 12:27 PM
    Sorry guys, I briefly went to the brink of losing faith. I have my nerve back again. The India article certainly helped.
    Bugmapper and Markymark 23 like this.
    If the onlty way to make your kids behave while shopping or doing other things is to plop a tv screen in front of them, then it's not just BB that's doomed, its society as a whole.
    Oh I couldn't agree with you more. I think its getting ridiculous but it is what it is. I have two very close friends with one of the most successful cafes in the world (actually rated as such in a few different magazine now). They have a very sweet daughter (my niece ) and are the typical extremely busy middle aged entrepreneurs running a successful business. They smother their daughter with tons of attention but they really rely on Netflix on the phone for crazy hectic times. They don't have a television and so at least my niece isnt being bombarded with commercial after commercial but they do rely on Netflix for entertainment and having it on the phone is a must.
    I bet not. I was just being sarcastic. Kind of moody today I guess with this thing just flapping in the wind.
    You and I both. I was very close to throwing in the towel today. Very discouraging
    03-05-13 12:29 PM
    Alright, that last post of mine was probably a bit harsh. But here's my concern.

The old RIMM said things like a new announcement that would "leapfrog the competition" a couple of years back. When it was revealed (PB), it was shown to be a technical leapfrog, but not leapfrogging in any meaningful sense of the word. THe old RIMM said (almost exactly) that early sales of BB OS 7 devices (bold 9900) were "far exceeding their expectations".

The new BBRY said repeatedly that there were big surprises going into the BB10 launch - they said this knowing about all the rumors and information that was already out there, confirmed and unconfirmed. They said that the big apps would be there at launch - again, repeatedly. What surprise did we get? Alicia Keys. What big apps were actually there *at launch*? Very few. And then we later learn that at least one or two big ones will be Android ports - technically fine, but PR-wise a real problem because it shows lack of meaningful commitment to the platform.

I mention this because it shows maybe the new BBRY is not so different from the old RIMM. Maybe their approach to customers is improved, and they have a great product out now - but they've historically been *really* bad at managing expectations. And *so far* they haven't shown that this has changed.

Heins may very well be ecstatic about sales that have blasted past projections - but since he's provided no basis for those projections, I'm very concerned it's going to be another "leapfrog" or launch event. Yeah, *they* are excited about it - but they have previously shown themselves to live in a reality distortion field of their own. And if it is such an event - given their leading non-informative comments, anything less than 500k or 600k will be very poorly received - BB10 will further be perceived as a failure (even if it just didn't gain the momentum the street was hoping for)

Once that happens, their likely longer term plans - licensing, getting away from the increasingly cutthroat business of selling phones - become *much* harder if not impossible to implement.

This isn't to do with the current stock price, but just the way they've been managing communications. Given their history of misjudging what the rest of the world perceives as exciting/outstanding results, I'm concerned. I'd rather the stock take further beating and they remain completely silent; OR they actually disclose meaningful data.

Edit: if they release stellar numbers come earnings release, I'll feel much better. But unfortunately, I'll also be very surprised.
    jimmyzzz and OMGitworks like this.
    03-05-13 12:39 PM
    Buck up gang!
    Its the same old story of the tortoise vs the hare. The SP is trading on rumor and buy the rumor/sell the news is reversed for the shorts. they are buying into the rumor (selling short) and they'll have to sell the news (buying to cover) when the ER comes out on the 28th. The hares may be ahead (for now) but we are long and strong. The longer TH keeps quite the lower expectations will be and the bigger the pop will be from beating expectations.
    On the other hand, If the shorts drive the price much lower, the speculators listening to Jim Cramer et al. will move in and then he and others will start pumping the stock. if it happens around the same time as the ER we could see a very health return.
    Keep smiling, this roaller coaster is far from finished!
    03-05-13 12:59 PM
    03-05-13 01:07 PM
    This just backs up my point.

Either name names or don't mention it. You're not building buzz. You're setting up two thirds of people who wanted the OTHER apps to be released to be pissed off and publicly vent their frustration.
    _dimi_ likes this.
    03-05-13 01:09 PM
    03-05-13 01:13 PM
    Fortunately, regardless of BBRY's shortcomings, analysts still don't have reliable sources. If they get it right, it will be by luck.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-05-13 01:16 PM
    Hopefully not true. Though we were kind of expecting this already.
    BlackBerry: Z10 Inventories Piling Up In U.K., Analyst Says - Forbes
    It's Faucette, so I'm not too concerned. One interesting thing is that his note in February said that he expected shipments of 275k-325k. Now his note says that he expects shipments of 275k-325k for the UK and Canada. I didn't see anything about that geographical constraint in his first note, so I don't know if he is trying to hedge himself a bit now.

I saw his inventory estimate chart in a Barron's article as well. It seemed pretty useless since there was no numbers on the y-axis and no information about how many days of inventory the historically targeted levels supposedly are. With no attempt to show y-axis numbers, charts can easily be manipulated to show what one wants them to show.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-05-13 01:22 PM
    Gosh this thread is amusing at times...
    03-05-13 01:24 PM
    Does anyone know why netflix blocks cell phone browsers from accessing streaming through the actual website? The z10's browser is powerful enough to access the regular netflix .
    Netflix is concerned regarding protection of their intellectual property rights. The streaming service has high potential to be able to be hacked or altered in a way to download high quality television shows and movies. For this reason, they won't permit a port and they absolutely won't permit a browser. A little known fact is that Netflix isn't even available for Linux. Yes, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc. So Netflix isn't actually picking on BB10, specifically.
    03-05-13 01:29 PM
    Long's contention that BlackBerry can't attract customers outside of current BlackBerry users seems to conflict with public statements made by BlackBerry executives about the percentages of Z10 sales to non-BlackBerry users. I think it is safe to say that part of his argument is wrong given that BlackBerry has gone on record about that.
    zyben, bungaboy and joe.miller like this.
    03-05-13 01:30 PM
113,256 ... 295296297298299 ...