View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    We're dropping again, but volume is low.....+
    I think the bulls are just sitting around waiting, the bears are jumping in every now, and weak hands are selling off their shares.
    03-04-13 02:21 PM
    I'm so curious as to how many z10's have been sold so far and as to how many will actually bump up the stock, now street estimates seem to be around 800 000 Will that be enough for BlackBerry or will they need millions I. The first month?
    They need to show that they can eventually be profitable. That includes not just the Z10 but their whole business going forward. The stock will languish until the market thinks that BB has a future . We will not know until probably two more quarters at least - maybe a whole year. I am surprised that a deep pocket company would not buy them out.
    I don't understand this excuse at all. I have an insignia blu ray player with netflix on it. You're telling me there are more subscribers watching it on that than a blackberry?
    Agreed and it's a stupid argument. Netflix on the PS Vita and the Wii, how many people are using those devices for Netflix? Prob a lower than folks on BB would.
    I don't understand this excuse at all. I have an insignia blu ray player with netflix on it. You're telling me there are more subscribers watching it on that than a blackberry?
    They can write one app for almost all of the DVD or BR players and cover many potential new subscribers or keep old subscribers at a very low cost, pre-installed, ready to go out of the box to watch on large screen TV's. They have guessed, maybe incorrectly, that the potential new business to watch Netflix on a little screen on a phone isn't worth it.
    03-04-13 02:23 PM
    Don't want to say Im worried, but wont be impressed if this closes below 13$ I cant believe it would stay here until the earnings, or lower. Doesnt make any sense.
    03-04-13 02:27 PM
    They can write one app for almost all of the DVD or BR players and cover many potential new subscribers or keep old subscribers at a very low cost, pre-installed, ready to go out of the box to watch on large screen TV's. They have guessed, maybe incorrectly, that the potential new business to watch Netflix on a little screen on a phone isn't worth it.
    Agreed, the logic being put out to the public seems deeply flawed. I suspect more is at play here... I'm assuming BB has offered to throw some $$ their way for access to build their own app -- so it can't only be about Netflix not wanting to expend their own resources. Anyone want to go conspiracy theory on this? </jk>
    That's not the real metric that matters -- the question is "will building a BlackBerry app bring in enough *new* subscribers to justify the cost?"

I'm a BlackBerry owner, and I already have a Netflix subscription. If Netflix offered a BB10 app tomorrow, they wouldn't get an extra dime of revenue from me, only extra costs because I'd now be using more bandwidth than I normally would.

Right now, Netflix believes it won't help the bottom line. The math may change a few months from now.
    tiziano27, OMGitworks and bungaboy like this.
    Netflix on the PS Vita and the Wii, how many people are using those devices for Netflix? Prob a lower than folks on BB would.
    Probably. But when the Wii was released that probably wasn't the case.
    03-04-13 02:29 PM
    They need to show that they can eventually be profitable. That includes not just the Z10 but their whole business going forward. The stock will languish until the market thinks that BB has a future . We will not know until probably two more quarters at least - maybe a whole year. I am surprised that a deep pocket company would not buy them out.
    Leaving the Q10 out was a terrible idea.
    03-04-13 02:30 PM
    Agreed and it's a stupid argument. Netflix on the PS Vita and the Wii, how many people are using those devices for Netflix? Prob a lower than folks on BB would.
    Not sure that is the case. Do you know how many of those boxes are out there already in the households with young kids and people with disposable income? There are about 100M Wii systems out there and another 90M each for Xbox and PlayStation. That's almost 300M, 70M in the US. I'd argue the conversion rate would be higher for those boxes than a phone as well. I don't agree with them, but the math clearly isn't in BB's favor on this one.
    03-04-13 02:31 PM
    Don't want to say Im worried, but wont be impressed if this closes below 13$ I cant believe it would stay here until the earnings, or lower. Doesnt make any sense.
    Hopefully someone steps in and pushes it over $13 for the close. There are the bulls and bears for sure, but then there are those who are agnostic and just trade it technically or on momentum. A close below $13 is hard to take for those folks. If they go, then the shorts may just get enough momentum to take a real run at BBRY and pushing it much lower. Hope not for the sake of many who post here. Interesting, but sad to watch.
    03-04-13 02:38 PM
    Realistically how hard would it be to port the android netflix app over to bb10? Everyone raves how easy it is to convert apps to QNX. There has to be something else going on behind the scenes.

Maybe blackberry is looking into doing their own streaming service. Partnership with sony studios?
    03-04-13 02:38 PM
    There won't be much movement north until the quarterly earnings report is released end of this month. I know it sucks, but we're in limbo until solid news is released. For the last month to present we are moving up and down on mere speculation and news articles. Hang in there man, it's coming...
    03-04-13 02:42 PM
    Realistically how hard would it be to port the android netflix app over to bb10? Everyone raves how easy it is to convert apps to QNX. There has to be something else going on behind the scenes.

Maybe blackberry is looking into doing their own streaming service. Partnership with sony studios?
    They don't want to do a crappy job of porting over an Android app just for the sake of getting it on BB10. It's better to have no prescence than a bad prescence because if you have a bad app on the BB10, you can drive customers away who think that Netflix itself sucks, and not just an app.
    Same reason there is not Whatsapp app yet. They want to make sure it's bug free.
    If you want an analogy: BlackBerry released a half baked Playbook and it got bad reviews. Even after the released OS 2.1, the damage was done and no one wanted a Playbook. To be honest, the Playbook OS is still pretty bad, but if they originally released with OS 2.1, it'd probably sell a whole lot better in the long run.
    03-04-13 02:45 PM

It would be pretty easy for Netflix to create an app... but then they have to support it. This means having the support system in place to answer tech support issues with BB devices running their app. And that is what Netflix isn't ready to commit to.

Right now there really isn't any motivation for them to do it. Much smarter business move to sit back and wait and see IF a need to provide a BB10 app materializes. Yes they may possible loose a few BB customers that go find another streaming service, but in comparison to the cost of building and supporting an app for a platform that most likely won't have more than a few million users by the end of the year...
    03-04-13 02:46 PM
    There won't be much movement north until the quarterly earnings report is released end of this month. I know it sucks, but we're in limbo until solid news is released. For the last month to present we are moving up and down on mere speculation and news articles. Hang in there man, it's coming...
    But thats the thing, Id rather go into earning at around 15-16$.. so theres a room for unexpected drop... if this stays below 14$ before earnings, an unexpected drop could take it easily into single digits.
    03-04-13 02:49 PM
    But thats the thing, Id rather go into earning at around 15-16$.. so theres a room for unexpected drop... if this stays below 14$ before earnings, an unexpected drop could take it easily into single digits.
    Not necessarily. The stock is trading on speculation right now. After earnings the stock will converge towards a "more" stable price. Thats not to say the stock won't continue to be volatile. After earnings there is still plenty of steps lefts since the earnings will not capture US sales since the Z10 has not been released in America yet.
    However, the stock is not going to drop $x after earnings on "bad news". It's going to drop (or rise) to the new estimated profitability of the stock. Probably something along the lines of 20x-50x of the expected average EPS in the next few quarters (Purely non-technical terms, lol)
    Markymark 23 likes this.
    03-04-13 02:55 PM
    Appreciate your comments... but does the follwing statement apply to all current NOC's?

"After initially being reluctant in sharing information, the company has now been complying with the requirements of the government to ensure that all its services are intercepted in readable format and in real time, as and when required by the security agencies. " ? The article is really making it seem like the Indian gov't will own the piping, and therefore, the flow of info.
    This whole thing is nothing new.

BBRY is doing the same thing every other provider does. However: BES data is still secure. That has not changed - and THAT was the bone of contention last year between India and RIM.
    EvanRitch, bungaboy and m0de25 like this.
    03-04-13 03:01 PM
    On a happier note, it appears as though Apple and Nokia each had poor trading days as well.
    03-04-13 03:25 PM
    On a happier note, it appears as though Apple and Nokia each had poor trading days as well.
    lol... Yep. It seems Apple has hit a new 52 week low.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-04-13 03:30 PM
    I think what grated me most today was that after waiting so long for a dip I grew impatient and bought at $13.01 and then it finally did fall...grr.
    03-04-13 03:36 PM
    I think what grated me most today was that after waiting so long for a dip I grew impatient and bought at $13.01 and then it finally did fall...grr.
    Yep, the good news over the weekend made my trigger finger itch as well.

BB may just be feeling the overall negative market sentiment right now and is simply following the water level. We have had some good news stories this past weekend (German gov't, Canaccord estimate correction, OS update to some extent, some new positive articles/reviews, reported sellouts in India, etc). Why hasn't the stock risen on these good news items? Maybe they have simply just counterbalanced what might have been a further drop otherwise. Who knows?
    03-04-13 03:37 PM
    I would say "what's a few pennies", but if you're investing a lot than those add up I guess.
    03-04-13 03:42 PM
    I may be wrong but carriers have already bought Z10s at price X from BB. Whatever they sell it at on a contract shouldn't really matter to BB. It is the subsidized price they set for the consumer in exchange for a contract commitment on the consumers end.
    What matters is sell through and if they're dropping price then there could be a slowdown.
    03-04-13 03:52 PM
    Check Chris Umiastowski's latest article on the price 'drop'..
    03-04-13 03:56 PM
113,256 ... 289290291292293 ...