View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I'm pretty sure this is the last week for me with this stock. If no momentum after a US release date then I'm pretty sure I'm done.
    03-04-13 12:50 PM
    After bouncing along it for some time, we just broke below 13.00.
    03-04-13 12:51 PM
    We were there multiple times this morning... not a panic situation yet, especially with no volume today, imo
    morganplus8 and dusdal like this.
    03-04-13 12:58 PM
    One comment on the current estimates and what will be stated in the earnings report on March 28.

Since Blackberry does not control the final distribution point (the actual sales), the only thing they can officially report is the number of phones shipped to carriers. They will then give an indication of sell-through, but BBRY only reports phones shipped to the stores.

I expect to hear quite a high number of "phones shipped" from Blackberry in the earnings report because the stores need to build up an inventory from nothing. So that will be a positive! However, listen carefully for sell-through indications, because that is more relevant to final sales numbers.

This has been on mind quite a bit so I decided to post it now. Although, in all likelihood I will need to post it again closer to March 28 because it is a subtle distinction that many people miss.
    You should also keep in mind that the re-occurring stock-outs following the launches in individual countries indicates that sell-through is closely tracking units shipped.

The US carriers (and, I assume, other carriers are in the same boat) got locked into huge Iphone deals and are now stuck with a lot of product that is not moving as quickly as previous versions. they want to move that off the shelves before letting consumers have "the next big thing"

The Carriers only ordered low volumes of Z10 based on pre-orders and it looks like the walk-in demand has surprized everyone (including TH)! BBRY has ramped up the production to match.

so has anyone been following channel inventory in canada and the uk? have they seen interest fall off or stablize?
    03-04-13 01:01 PM
    I'm pretty sure this is the last week for me with this stock. If no momentum after a US release date then I'm pretty sure I'm done.
    Someone get this guy more Koolaid!
    DragonFlyer and lcjr like this.
    03-04-13 01:04 PM
    Appreciate your comments... but does the follwing statement apply to all current NOC's?

"After initially being reluctant in sharing information, the company has now been complying with the requirements of the government to ensure that all its services are intercepted in readable format and in real time, as and when required by the security agencies. " ? The article is really making it seem like the Indian gov't will own the piping, and therefore, the flow of info.
    Yes, all companies are obligated to comply with lawful request for interception. Canadian, American, European included. Indian government will not own the piping. It doesn't have to. If BB installs a node/opens NOC in India then by law of the land, that node would come under jurisdiction of Indian court and so Indian agencies will be able to approach their court, get a warrant/subpoena and intercept. It works the same way in US, Canada, Europe etc.

For intercepting phone calls, court issues order to telephone carriers, for emails they usually issue orders to ISPs. In case of BB, the traffic is usually encrypted so carriers can also NOT read data to/fro BB server. So, courts have to issue orders directly to BB. But because BB doesn't have a NODE/NOC in India, BB NOC was outside of Indian courts's jurisdiction. With NOC in India, the Indian NOC will fall under Indian courts jurisdiction. The same way, US NOC falls under American courts's jurisdiction and is obligated to comply with American courts's order, the Candadian NOC falls under Canadian court's jurisdiction, European under European courts's jurisdiction and so on.
    bungaboy and m0de25 like this.
    03-04-13 01:06 PM
    BBRY stock is not going to do anything except bump along the bottom till the US introduction. After that is the big question!
    03-04-13 01:19 PM
    BBRY stock is not going to do anything except bump along the bottom till the US introduction. After that is the big question!
    that may be the question... the answer is LONG and STRONG
    03-04-13 01:39 PM
    Can someone please explain the idea that TFSA are for more speculative stocks and what difference it makes if you pay the tax up front or when you withdraw it, assuming the same tax rates?
    03-04-13 01:42 PM
    This just in.... My crystal ball told me we are going to rally later this afternoon and close in positive territory!

You may want to go have that crystal ball looked at. It appears to be cracked or otherwise defective. I highly recommend using something a little more professional, like my MAGIC 8 BALL!!
    DragonFlyer likes this.
    03-04-13 01:43 PM
    Someone get this guy more Koolaid!
    OMG that was funny! I was thinking the same thing but you beat me to it. I'm still laughing...
    m0de25 likes this.
    03-04-13 01:47 PM
    Yip but it should at the very least move up a little on an official release date
    03-04-13 01:48 PM
    Can someone please explain the idea that TFSA are for more speculative stocks and what difference it makes if you pay the tax up front or when you withdraw it, assuming the same tax rates?
    There is no tax on TFSA, not even when you withdraw.

Though I don't completely agree that TFSA should be for speculative stocks. If the stock plunges, you also lose your TFSA contribution room.
    03-04-13 01:52 PM

Though I don't completely agree that TFSA should be for speculative stocks. If the stock plunges, you also lose your TFSA contribution room.
    I thought the tax was paid before the money was put in. IE. after tax money.
    03-04-13 01:54 PM

that's the risk you take. you pay the tax on the money that goes in. if it goes up, you keep the profits, if it goes down you eat the lose - no tax right off. different than the RRSP. where you get taxed when you take the money out.
    03-04-13 01:57 PM
    I wonder if this news is pushing things back down this afternoon - Netflix Has No Current Plans for a BlackBerry 10 App - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD
    03-04-13 02:04 PM
    I thought the tax was paid before the money was put in. IE. after tax money.
    Yes, you put in your already taxed income. The benefit is, is that you don't pay any tax on the gains. Typically an TFSA has a higher interest rate than a standard SA. In the case of the stocks, you could, in theory, double your amount, and not have to pay. eg... you max out your yearly deposit amount of $5000. You bought BB.TO at $7.00 and sold at $14.00. You've now got 10g's. If you were to have done this in a straight cash account, you'd have to pay taxes on that $5000 earned and tack it onto your yearly income which, in theory, could bump you up into the next tax bracket.. In the case of the TFSA, that $5000 you made is free and clear.
    bungaboy and MasterMoe like this.
    03-04-13 02:06 PM
    that's the risk you take. you pay the tax on the money that goes in. if it goes up, you keep the profits, if it goes down you eat the lose - no tax right off. different than the RRSP. where you get taxed when you take the money out.
    Not being able to claim a capital loss through TFSA isn't quite the same as "you pay the tax on the money that goes in"... I just don't see it that way, although that may be the net affect if the stock crumbles, I guess.
    03-04-13 02:07 PM
    No, I believe it is the lowering of the Z10 price in the UK and an article indicating lower service revenues will eat away at cash flows.
    03-04-13 02:11 PM
    I'm so curious as to how many z10's have been sold so far and as to how many will actually bump up the stock, now street estimates seem to be around 800 000 Will that be enough for BlackBerry or will they need millions I. The first month?
    03-04-13 02:13 PM
    Yip but it should at the very least move up a little on an official release date
    A week or 2 ago I thought that as well, but now I think they won't get anything out of a release date. They have wasted the launch event and buzz and allowed sales expectations to be manipulated and reset. BBRY seems to be doing their utmost to misread the market and hamstring what seems to be a great device. As 1 of the talking heads on CNBC said some time ago, they don't have a device problem, they have an execution problem. That statement seems to ring truer and truer with each passing day.
    03-04-13 02:13 PM
    I wonder if this news is pushing things back down this afternoon - Netflix Has No Current Plans for a BlackBerry 10 App - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD
    So I can get Netflix through my PC's , my Apple TV , Ipad and my Samsung DVD player. Not sure why I want it on my phone. So I don't really care. Skype and Instagram hurt. 95% of phone users would not side load a App. Does BB have bad karma ?
    03-04-13 02:15 PM
    Not to sure how to spell it but "Concord" estimates go from 300 000 to 800 000 what bulls hit!!!! Is this really how do you fail so miserably to come up with such a low estimate to start off with
    03-04-13 02:15 PM
    I don't understand this excuse at all. I have an insignia blu ray player with netflix on it. You're telling me there are more subscribers watching it on that than a blackberry?
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-04-13 02:18 PM
    No, I believe it is the lowering of the Z10 price in the UK and an article indicating lower service revenues will eat away at cash flows.
    I may be wrong but carriers have already bought Z10s at price X from BB. Whatever they sell it at on a contract shouldn't really matter to BB. It is the subsidized price they set for the consumer in exchange for a contract commitment on the consumers end.
    03-04-13 02:19 PM
113,256 ... 288289290291292 ...