Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Isn't Monday a typically slow day?
    03-04-13 11:00 AM
    It seems that we are doing ok on the really low volume. I bought again at just about $13
    03-04-13 11:03 AM
    Isn't Monday a typically slow day?
    I'm no expert, I would say yeah... but 7.8M at the lunctime mark seems really, really low to me...
    03-04-13 11:03 AM
    To my comrades in Canada, Are any of ya using your TFSAs to purchase this stock eh?
    Lehomer, dusdal, fedakd and 1 others like this.
    03-04-13 11:12 AM
    To my comrades in Canada, Are any of ya using your TFSAs to purchase this stock eh?
    I was, then I decided to use my Margin Account. I barely get taxed anyways. TSFA I'll use for penny stocks and what not.
    fedakd likes this.
    03-04-13 11:14 AM
    this is exactly the type of stock to buy inside a TFSA (at least for me). keep your "safe and secure" stuff in the RRSP and put the flyers in the TFSA. if/when this flyer takes off taxes are pre-paid so I'll keep the profit! I'm still green (shoulda/woulda/coulda sold before launch) and I'm long so the waiting continues.
    m0de25, fedakd and bungaboy like this.
    03-04-13 11:19 AM
    Yep. That I am.
    surreyjack71 likes this.
    03-04-13 11:19 AM
    Yes, maxed mine out only on this stock. (bought at 9,10,11... and now 13.39 today )
    03-04-13 11:20 AM
    Yup, TFSA for risky stuff, RRSP for more stable stuff.
    03-04-13 11:30 AM
    The order I wanted to make matched with the additional contribution I needed in the RRSP this year, so there she lies. Good incentive to stay long I guess...
    03-04-13 11:49 AM
    I use my TFSA to buy stock.

Bought at 13.30 something back in May, then around 7.40 in August.

Hoping things stay lower for a few days so I get my tax rebate and can buy a few more.
    03-04-13 11:56 AM
    We're just barely staying over $13 right now. Got to get some news out soon to get this baby rolling along.
    03-04-13 11:57 AM
    03-04-13 12:00 PM
    Not sure if this has been posted here... Mumbai and BlackBerry seem to be working out an agreement between themselves (BB is allowing India to take control of the BB servers.) If this is what gets BB more widely adapted to this potentially massive market, then so be it. I'm not sure if it's entirely good news, but at least they are working on a solution.

Government to take possession of BlackBerry infrastructure - The Times of India
    03-04-13 12:03 PM
    Not sure if this has been posted here... Mumbai and BlackBerry seem to be working out an agreement between themselves (BB is allowing India to take control of the BB servers.) If this is what gets BB more widely adapted to this potentially massive market, then so be it. I'm not sure if it's entirely good news, but at least they are working on a solution.

I think that article is misleading. I'm not quite clear on this but the article states the Indian government is taking over the server in one location within India. God help us all if India took over the Blackberry infrastructure.
    03-04-13 12:11 PM
    I think that article is misleading. I'm not quite clear on this but the article states the Indian government is taking over the server in one location within India. God help us all if India took over the Blackberry infrastructure.
    I'm certain that it's pertaining to "local" Indian BB ID's... let's face it, there are governments around the world that are anti-BB precisely because they don't want their residents talking behind thier backs. Blackberry has held off relinquishing this decoding info up until now, but it looks like BB went with the lesser of 2 evils (sales over principle, shall we say)
    lcjr likes this.
    03-04-13 12:18 PM

Thanks for sharing.

I interpret that as a chink in their armour...

I realize it's an effort to open up to a billion dollar market but it waters down the perceived integrity and strength of their offerings.

can't say I like the news
    03-04-13 12:19 PM
    Thanks for sharing.

I realize it's an effort to open up to a billion dollar market but it waters down the perceived integrity and strength of their offerings.

You know what? I agree... it sets up a dangerous precedent.
    03-04-13 12:21 PM
    It's almost 1:30 and we're not even at 14 million in volume. Looks like we're trending down just because everything is right now.
    03-04-13 12:24 PM
    We're just barely staying over $13 right now. Got to get some news out soon to get this baby rolling along.
    This just in.... My crystal ball told me we are going to rally later this afternoon and close in positive territory!
    03-04-13 12:27 PM
    Do bit of reserach..This is per plan agreed last year that Indian Gov will have access to indian BBs to monitor in the name of national security. The gov asked BB that if you want to do business in Iindia then it needs to enough access to monitor threats and BB agreed. This activity is part of plan..nothing new and bad about it.
    DragonFlyer likes this.
    03-04-13 12:31 PM
    Thanks for sharing.

Keep in mind that this is just the consumer side of things. It has nothing to do with BES.
    03-04-13 12:32 PM

I'm certain that it's pertaining to "local" Indian BB ID's... let's face it, there are governments around the world that are anti-BB precisely because they don't want their residents talking behind thier backs. Blackberry has held off relinquishing this decoding info up until now, but it looks like BB went with the lesser of 2 evils (sales over principle, shall we say)
    Thanks for sharing.

You know what? I agree... it sets up a dangerous precedent.
    BlackBerry already has NOC in MANY countries - US, Canada, UK etc. Now, all they have agreed to do is open an NOC or point of presence/node in India.
    Why is this important? Well, In US/Canada/EU, courts can issue a subpoena if they want to access information from BB's NOC. Indian courts do NOT have jurisdiction in US/Canada/EU so they can not really directly ubponea BB for information . They have to go through Interpol or indirectly through RCMP, FBI etc. and it takes a lot of time.

So, now with a node in India, the NOC in India will fall under Indian courts's jurisdiction so it will speed up the process of obtaining information. This is nothing new as such. Almost all law enforcement agencies are able to make (lawful) request for information (or interception) from BB, Google, Microsoft or any provider for that matter.

BlackBerry and every other company is obliged to comply with lawful request for information/interception. So, nothing is changing in terms of BB security. All that's going to happen with opening of a node in India is that Indian courts are going to be able to directly subponea BB India and request information that is flowing through Indian BB NOC. They could do it even before but the process took months as they had to go through international agencies.

US/Canada/EU traffic is going to continue to flow from NOCs in their own country. And it can (continue) to be intercepted by American/Canadian/European agencies via lawful court order or whatever legal provision is.

So, NO, India is not taking over BB Data Center/NOC or any such thing.
    03-04-13 12:36 PM
    One comment on the current estimates and what will be stated in the earnings report on March 28.

Since Blackberry does not control the final distribution point (the actual sales), the only thing they can officially report is the number of phones shipped to carriers. They will then give an indication of sell-through, but BBRY only reports phones shipped to the stores.

I expect to hear quite a high number of "phones shipped" from Blackberry in the earnings report because the stores need to build up an inventory from nothing. So that will be a positive! However, listen carefully for sell-through indications, because that is more relevant to final sales numbers.

This has been on mind quite a bit so I decided to post it now. Although, in all likelihood I will need to post it again closer to March 28 because it is a subtle distinction that many people miss.
    morganplus8, fedakd and bungaboy like this.
    03-04-13 12:38 PM
    BlackBerry already has NOC in MANY countries - US, Canada, UK etc. Now, all they have agreed to do is open an NOC or point of presence/node in India.
    Why is this important? Well, In US/Canada/EU, courts can issue a subpoena if they want to access information from BB's NOC. Indian courts do NOT have jurisdiction in US/Canada/EU so they can not really directly ubponea BB for information . They have to go through Interpol or indirectly through RCMP, FBI etc. and it takes a lot of time.

So, now with a node in India, the NOC in India will fall under Indian courts's jurisdiction so it will speed up the process of obtaining information. This is nothing new as such. Almost all law enforcement agencies are able to make (lawful) request for information (or interception) from BB, Google, Microsoft or any provider for that matter.

BlackBerry and every other company is obliged to comply with lawful request for information/interception. So, nothing is changing in terms of BB security. All that's going to happen with opening of a node in India is that Indian courts are going to be able to directly subponea BB India and request information that is flowing through Indian BB NOC. They could do it even before but the process took months as they had to go through international agencies.

US/Canada/EU traffic is going to continue to flow from NOCs in their own country. And it can (continue) to be intercepted by American/Canadian/European agencies via lawful court order or whatever legal provision is.

So, NO, India is not taking over BB Data Center/NOC or any such thing.
    Appreciate your comments... but does the follwing statement apply to all current NOC's?

"After initially being reluctant in sharing information, the company has now been complying with the requirements of the government to ensure that all its services are intercepted in readable format and in real time, as and when required by the security agencies. " ? The article is really making it seem like the Indian gov't will own the piping, and therefore, the flow of info.
    03-04-13 12:48 PM
113,256 ... 287288289290291 ...